Re: The Weight Loss Thread

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39292389

Pretty interesting. Majority carb diet and low fat for the healthiest hearts
Old 18th March 2017, 23:14   #1817
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
Low carb high protein/fiber diet is only good for weight loss rather until you reach your desired lower weight. For strength it is completely useless.
I haven't decreased my body-weight workout routine since I got on LCHF in July. Can't say it has affected my strength training. I also know a BHPian who does heavy weight training and cardio while being on veggie LCHF diet. He has lost 16kg in 6 months.

But there is another aspect to LCHF that you are discounting. It reduces risk of heart attack and diabetes.
Old 19th March 2017, 14:42   #1818
BHPian

LCHF Diet

Sunday Breakfast #LCHF

Creamy Scrambled Eggs - 300 calories
Three eggs softly scrambled with 1 slice cheese ans 1tbsp fresh cream.

Half cup Brocli sauteed in butter with half a tomato - 50 calories

The Weight Loss Thread-20170319_100330.jpg
Old 20th March 2017, 13:58   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I haven't decreased my body-weight workout routine since I got on LCHF in July. Can't say it has affected my strength training. I also know a BHPian who does heavy weight training and cardio while being on veggie LCHF diet. He has lost 16kg in 6 months.

But there is another aspect to LCHF that you are discounting. It reduces risk of heart attack and diabetes.
Sam , numbers i used to achieve easily with this diet( body weight). Example, 300 parallel bar dips were doable, but the muscles became soft, bone strength went down , and no progression in strength . Body building is another story i dont know , but powerlifting/heavy mace swing/captains of crush 300lbs/ original bullworker etc i had no results.. .

It wont affect your strength training because you are use to it from a long time, but peak strength and progression wont happen.

Heartache is another story, why so many people have heart valve block at the age of 40s, one example is sunflower oil we buy , rs110 per liter where as the actual cost to manufacture 1 liter is above 220rs, So you can guess what we are getting for 110rs. .

Chicken is injected with growth hormone to achieve full size in a month .
River fish are injected ( farm fish)
Cows are injected to give more milk
Rice is Hybrid
Jaggery is made from chemicals
Fruits are not excused.
Old 20th March 2017, 17:28   #1820
BHPian

Eating cheese everyday WON'T give you heart disease

Quote:
Despite being high in saturated fats, scientists found consuming large amounts of the popular snack is safe and can even be beneficial.
In fact, those who avoid the fat are at risk of heart disease due to their higher levels of LDL cholesterol.
Old 20th March 2017, 18:02   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
It wont affect your strength training because you are use to it from a long time, but peak strength and progression wont happen.

Pardon me, maybe I'm not able to follow you. Are you saying all the above was happening due to LCHF diet?
Old 28th March 2017, 20:24   #1822
Senior - BHPian

My experience with Nutritional Ketosis

My journey to start nutritional Ketosis started around 4 months ago. Well, what lead or motivated me to take this step! Over the past 1.5 years my blood cholesterols were trending borderline high and another important metabolic marker my average HbA1c blood sugar levels were trending upwards though still in the normal range (5.3 to 5.5). To be clear throughout my life I have always maintained a healthy BMI of around 20-22, I don’t smoke or drink.

Generally, I am very strict about my diet and will not eat any junk /processed foods. Old fashioned (not instant) Oatmeal breakfast was my staple diet for years and as taught by the food pyramid used to consume a low amount of sugar, salt & oil/fats. I was wondering why my Cholesterol is not in control, my Triglycerides & LDL (bad Cholesterol) were high and HDL (good Cholesterol) was low.

My doctors advised, me to start regular exercise and cut down on all potential cholesterol sources like eggs, dairy, red meats etc. And asked me to come back for a follow-up checkup after 6 months.

As planned after 6 months I did another blood test, I hoped things would be better as I was doing all the right things which my doctor told. I was very surprised to find that my lipid profile has even become worse than ever before. Looking at my test results my Doctor advised me to go on the Statins. I hate taking medication as all of them have terrible known & unknown side-effects.

I started looking for alternative solutions as I don't want to be on Statin drugs. On the internet I came across a talk by Dr. Mark Hyman M.D, his talk motivated me to try the LCHF diet. I was astonished to find out that Carbs & sugars are the major driver of inflammation in the body leading to higher level of insulin (main fat building hormone). I analyzed my diet and came to know that after eating high carbs (Wheat, rice & legumes) over last 40 years my body is slowly getting Carb intolerant/insulin resistant and my pancreas was not able to keep up with the Carb load which I was feeding on. So all those so called healthy Oats and all the wholesome grains, starchy vegetables (mostly grown underground) and the generous amount of fruits are to be blamed for my situation.

Hence I decided to change my diet by completely eliminating the above-mentioned food items from my diet. It was not easy as almost all Indian food revolved around carbs. I switched my diet to leafy and non-starchy vegetables, very limited amount of legumes (Beans, gram, kidney beans etc.) For proteins, I relied on eggs, red meat, and fish and limited my consumption to 20-25% of my daily diet. I am consuming all kinds of nuts & seeds (walnuts, almonds, pistachios, flax seed, Cashews, hemp seeds, Brazil nuts) except Peanuts.

Since Ketogenic diet involves removal of Carbs to a great extent and forcing the body to switch from being a "sugar burner" to a "fat burner. Now my staple energy source (60-70%) is now Ghee, Coconut oil, heavy cream, lard, extra virgin olive oil, almond /cashew butter etc. Per latest research (I have given references at the end of this note).

I understand that all kinds of commercially available refined oils like (sunflower, safflower, soy, rice bran etc. which are marketed as heart healthy are all contributing to bad heath please avoid them as much as you can.

The initial transition to low Carb was not a very pleasant experience, had some Carb withdrawal symptoms also known as Keto flu (headache, low energy, brain fog, constipation etc). To get over the Keto flu experts have suggested increasing sodium (salt) intake as kidneys tend to excrete high levels of sodium and overall this diet has a diuretic impact hence one tends to lose a lot of fluid mass trapped in cells due to high insulin levels resulting in rapid weight loss, but this is just water weight no fat burning.

It took me around 2 weeks to adapt to this new lifestyle. And after that life is normal as usual. On the high-fat diet, you don't tend to get hungry as I used to be earlier. There is no energy drop/crash at the end of the day. A couple of times I skipped lunch and was running fine the whole day on just breakfast, and the fat stored is getting metabolized into energy, you can feel the difference it’s like you have unlimited supply in your gas tank which does not go empty at the end of the day

After 3 months, I took another cholesterol test the total Cholesterol count remained almost constant, HDL (good Cholesterol) count almost doubled, marginal improvement in LDL (bad Cholesterol), Triglycerides went down within the normal range. Please note every individual is different and results will vary from person to person but it is proven that HDL improves in almost all the cases.

The last 3 months has been a great learning experience for me and made me aware how bad food is impacting my health. The traditional view of all calories are equal does not hold much water, the concept of food being “information to your body” makes sense to me now. There are a lot of research going on in the area of functional medicine as drugs are just treating the symptoms and not the underlying cause of the disease.

I will end with this famous quote - "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" — Hippocrates, father of medicine, 431 B.C

Here are some of the leading references for LCHF diets which inspired me.

1. "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living": by Jeff S. Volek Ph.D. and Stephen D. Phinney.
2. "Eat fat get thin" by Mark Hyman,
3. "Always Hungry" by David Ludwig

Youtube Links-

Moderators can move this topic to a new thread as this is not just weight loss diet, it’s a sustained new way of living without sugar.
Old 28th March 2017, 23:53   #1823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Moderators can move this topic to a new thread as this is not just weight loss diet, it’s a sustained new way of living without sugar.
It can stay here since keto/LCHF is old news on this thread. Check the first post of the thread, if you are in doubt.
Old 29th March 2017, 19:43   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the inspiration on this thread, I've been on LCHF for the past 4 weeks now. Barring the singular wedding meal I had about two weeks back, I haven't had single cheat day so far. And, haven't really needed a cheat meal/day either.

Actually feels great, post the first week's slight headaches from the body shifting from carbs to fat, I have had no problems at all. Not suffering from any hunger pangs either.

Along with that I attend 50 minute extremely intensive cross-fit sessions 1-3 times a week. Would love to go more frequently, but my work schedule is a little too tightly packed for now.

Happy to see that I am ~5 kgs down since I started this journey!

Thank to all the pro-LCHF posts here!!

This is a good resource for some recipes - https://www.dietdoctor.com. Of course some ingredients aren't easily available or prohibitively expensive. But its got some good ideas that you can adapt to your requirements. The fat head pizza and chocolate fudge are excellent LCHF indulgences, which helped me stay motivated during the initial phases.

PS: Couple of months back a blood test revealed that my LDL was way above the borderline. Will check again in about 2 months, hopefully some positive corrections should be taking place.

Last edited by praful : 29th March 2017 at 19:48.
Old 29th March 2017, 20:43   #1825
BHPian

Just a quick question to all on the forum practising LCHF, is this diet supportive for someone doing night shifts and regular 30-40 minutes of cardio/weight training and looking to reduce the BEER belly and inch loss.

I plan to start it as the regular diet of avoiding carbs, fats and sugar is not helping. I can control sugar intake, at present it is down to 2-3 teaspoons in a day, while earlier the day was never complete without a litre of aerated drinks, lavazza frappes and other sweet stuff. But cutting down on carbs, fats and sugar is causing drowsiness in the later part of the day (i.e at work).

Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.
Old 29th March 2017, 21:00   #1826
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Just a quick question to all on the forum practising LCHF, is this diet supportive for someone doing night shifts and regular 30-40 minutes of cardio/weight training and looking to reduce the BEER belly and inch loss.
There is no rule! You design your intake schedule. All you have are the constraints. What to take and what not to take. There is no one regimen that suits all.
Old 29th March 2017, 21:23   #1827
Team-BHP Support

I am taking a break from the (moderate) LCHF diet as it started interfering with my cycling.

With daytime temperatures hovering around 40, I can easily spot a big difference my comfort while commuting the 18 kms to office at around 10:30 AM.

With a cycle run of about 36 kms per day and doing it for 3 days a week, I need my carbs.

However its not a full on reversal. I am still going to be very careful with the diet but an occasional bread and pasta will be back till June.
Old 31st March 2017, 11:36   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am taking a break from the (moderate) LCHF diet as it started interfering with my cycling.

With daytime temperatures hovering around 40, I can easily spot a big difference my comfort while commuting the 18 kms to office at around 10:30 AM.

With a cycle run of about 36 kms per day and doing it for 3 days a week, I need my carbs.
Something I found on these lines - https://cyclingtips.com/2013/08/high...-your-cycling/

I've shared the link for learning purposes only and I don't suggest otherwise.
Old 31st March 2017, 11:52   #1829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Something I found on these lines - https://cyclingtips.com/2013/08/high...-your-cycling/

I've shared the link for learning purposes only and I don't suggest otherwise.
I had no trouble till the heat started taking its toll.
Today I left home at 10:18 AM and reached office at 11:10 AM. Covering a distance of almost 18 kms. The outside temperature was easily over 36 Celsius.

However my diet today and yesterday was quite weird even by my quirky standards.
I ate raw sprouted wheat grains(about 100 gms) with brinjals and fenugreek. Also a lot of yogurt. Late night binged on about 100 gms of roasted peanuts while attending an office call.

Breakfast was a banana, cheese slice and 2 eggs fried in butter.

This was my fastest time this season.
Old 31st March 2017, 12:05   #1830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Breakfast was a banana, cheese slice and 2 eggs fried in butter.

This was my fastest time this season.
Banana (high carb) was the magic ingredient!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks