Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2018, 17:25   #1861
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I eat 3 eggs (fried in ghee) for breakfast since 18 months. But I am not going by only my experience. That would be anecdotal, and not scientific. I rely on the current scientific consensus on this matter.
Our own experiences cannot be considered anecdotal. Scientific consensus would not drive away the uneasiness one feels after having 4 eggs a day.

Quote:
You will find dozens of first hand examples in this thread alone, who reached their goal in 3-6 months. In this page itself, one guy lost 6kgs in 10 days.
Good for them. But as stated before, kitosis is effective at fat loss but only for significantly overweight people. Plus as mentioned in other posts, initial weight loss is mostly water weight. I too lost 11 kg in my first month an i was ecstatic. However you hit wall after that which requires good old fashion exercise to see any progress.

Quote:
Oil does supply the fats I need. Also, I use Coconut oil and Ghee, which have high smoke point. Coconut oil is also part of the traditional diet for me.
My dear Sir, we are saying the same thing. Oil is good. I am just saying that less of it is healthier. My traditional diet includes sesame oil which has a similar smoking point. Still we try to control its use.

Cheers
Old 6th February 2018, 18:55   #1862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Our own experiences cannot be considered anecdotal.
A sentiment shared all alien abduction victims.

Quote:
Scientific consensus would not drive away the uneasiness one feels after having 4 eggs a day.
You and I have very divergent definition of what is anecdotal and what is scientific. That means we won't be able to come to an agreement on this matter.
Old 6th February 2018, 19:30   #1863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good for them. But as stated before, kitosis is effective at fat loss but only for significantly overweight people.
Wont fully agree to this statement. Yes as you said it helps big time in the initial rundown for significantly over weight people. But still one can use ketosis as a way of life and continue with a flat weight (once a plateau is achieved).

Now its also a question if one thinks that the plateau is the one which he/she would like to maintain or one needs to go down further. That part is a subjective assessment. Because the weight which one would like to maintain is more a function of one's metabolism and daily diet intake. If one wants to reduce further, then yes, its a question of more fats/carbs to be burnt by design.
Old 7th February 2018, 06:08   #1864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Wont fully agree to this statement. Yes as you said it helps big time in the initial rundown for significantly over weight people.
This is true, my experience has been similar, initial weeks weight loss was phenomenal and it was a great feeling, until it hit a plateau.

Quote:
But still one can use ketosis as a way of life and continue with a flat weight (once a plateau is achieved).
This is where I am now. Continuing my keto diet 5 days a week, along with intermittent fasting. I am able to maintain the plateaued weight for the past few months. A visit to India during Christmas and excessive indulgence have not really affected the body. I was able to get back to my desired plateau weight in a few weeks, after returning.

Quote:
Now its also a question if one thinks that the plateau is the one which he/she would like to maintain or one needs to go down further. If one wants to reduce further, then yes, its a question of more fats/carbs to be burnt by design.
This is the future, need to device a plan to burn more by introducing some form of exercise. Hopefully, will see further reductions in the coming months. Irrespective of whether I manage to reduce further, the feeling of being on the keto diet is amazing.
Old 7th February 2018, 07:34   #1865
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
This is where I am now. Continuing my keto diet 5 days a week, along with intermittent fasting. I am able to maintain the plateaued weight for the past few months. A visit to India during Christmas and excessive indulgence have not really affected the body. I was able to get back to my desired plateau weight in a few weeks, after returning.
Great to hear this!

What many dont realize is that along with ketosis (or low but not zero carbs options) intermittent fasting helps in a big-big way not just to reduce but also maintain. Since the source of the problem itself is being well controlled, even if you err during one of the days, it helps swing back the equilibrium.

Quote:
This is the future, need to device a plan to burn more by introducing some form of exercise. Hopefully, will see further reductions in the coming months.
What I would suggest here is plan for something which you can continue for long term and not as a short term solution. Something which you hope to sustain for life.
Old 7th February 2018, 08:43   #1866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have lost ~10 kgs in approx 2 months. Was hovering around 95 kgs. Height would 5'11.

Boiled vegetables, dal, steamed fish, albumen, fruits is what I ate and I ate only when I was hungry, in less proportion, just enough to eliminate the hunger pangs.
Quote:
Can't resist sharing one before and one after photograph. The before picture is of mid November. The after pic is of 5th February.

Attachment 1606624
Quote:
Inspiration came from this thread itself. Mostly from Imran, Samurai & others. And I can't thank each of you who has contributed.
Stamina has improved as has concentration and positive thinking.
Quote:
I marinate the chicken using curd, papaya, ginger & garlic paste, add a bit of salt, no oil.
I am almost sticking to these diets but sometimes cheat on having a samosa, rice or biryani, sweets etc.

Though Thank God my weight hasn't increased by much, I weighed myself just before typing this post and I weigh 1 kg more than my target

I am here for a query - I have started to play badminton on a regular basis. Timings are 19:00 hrs to 21:00 hrs with breaks to let other players play.

Post session, I do no feel like eating and I believe, any food post 20:00 hrs isn't good [as said by many]. So, at what time should I eat and what should I eat? Will having 2 boiled eggs just before my badminton session be enough?

When and what should I eat?

I have breakfast/lunch at 10:30-11 in the morning and I try to not eat anything till I am home just for a quick change and to pick the racket.

Secondly, after playing, I feel a bit of pain in my legs and the shoulder which goes away in the morning but before sleeping, the pain is sometimes uncomfortable but not worrying or is causing anxiety, better to live with it I assume..?
Old 7th February 2018, 09:04   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Great to hear this!
Thanks, the diet and its effects was previously unknown to me and took me by surprise. Planning to keep it for life.

Quote:
What I would suggest here is plan for something which you can continue for long term and not as a short term solution. Something which you hope to sustain for life.
Yup, the plan is to get into a morning jog, few days a week. Hopefully tag my son along, he is training for his next level in karate and would happily do it. That should motivate me to go along and make it a habit. Will update this thread in a few weeks on how that went.
Old 7th February 2018, 11:16   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
A sentiment shared all alien abduction victims.
Won't argue with that. What one experiences is real for him whether it is real for others or not. Does that mean that they are not real? Iam one of those tin foil hat types.

Quote:
You and I have very divergent definition of what is anecdotal and what is scientific. That means we won't be able to come to an agreement on this matter.
My communication may have been unclear but I just meant that more than 2 or 3 eggs did infact cause uneasiness even during weight lifting days. Therefore, on this one i decided to go with gut feeling rather than what the books say. Hence, let's just agree to disagree on this.

Quote:
Wont fully agree to this statement. Yes as you said it helps big time in the initial rundown for significantly over weight people. But still one can use ketosis as a way of life and continue with a flat weight (once a plateau is achieved).

Now its also a question if one thinks that the plateau is the one which he/she would like to maintain or one needs to go down further. That part is a subjective assessment. Because the weight which one would like to maintain is more a function of one's metabolism and daily diet intake. If one wants to reduce further, then yes, its a question of more fats/carbs to be burnt by design.
Agreed. I have tried Keto diet once and GM diet many times. Personally, i felt that they are great detox methods (i remember my first sip of Real fruit juice after a full scale GM diet and it felt like it had poisonous levels of sugar.)

IMO, the cost of maintaining those diets are much higher than just eating regular food with timely and excercising daily. The result for both is essentially the same.

Cheers.
Old 7th February 2018, 16:32   #1869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Yup, the plan is to get into a morning jog, few days a week. Hopefully tag my son along, he is training for his next level in karate and would happily do it. That should motivate me to go along and make it a habit. Will update this thread in a few weeks on how that went.
There is only one counter point here (my experience). If you go for work out in the morning, you may have to cut your long fasting period for the day (if you practice it regularly). Because workout will demand some intake in the morning. Hence I keep my outdoor activities for evening.

Quote:
Agreed. I have tried Keto diet once and GM diet many times. Personally, i felt that they are great detox methods (i remember my first sip of Real fruit juice after a full scale GM diet and it felt like it had poisonous levels of sugar.)
More than Keto I found fasting as a bigger detoxing mechancism (Not sure if you meant the same).

Quote:
IMO, the cost of maintaining those diets are much higher than just eating regular food with timely and excercising daily. The result for both is essentially the same.
I find it to be similar and not very different. You can consume limited carbs in the evenings which the family has and rest of all is under your control (office times)
Old 7th February 2018, 16:51   #1870
Senior - BHPian

Do we have a collection of recepies anywhere on the net for the keto diet which can be easily followed by us, especially down south in India?
Old 7th February 2018, 21:16   #1871
BANNED

Quote:
i remember my first sip of Real fruit juice after a full scale GM diet and it felt like it had poisonous levels of sugar.
Fruit juice does have very high levels of sugar.
Old 8th February 2018, 04:49   #1872
BHPian

Quote:
There is only one counter point here (my experience). If you go for work out in the morning, you may have to cut your long fasting period for the day (if you practice it regularly). Because workout will demand some intake in the morning. Hence I keep my outdoor activities for evening.
Thanks, that is a very good point, I didn't really think it through. Difficulty with evenings is finding time when both of us are available. Will try, as they say, where there is a will, there will be a way.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:40   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Fruit juice does have very high levels of sugar.
Yes. And normally we'd just find it sweet. It is only after a detoxing that we actually realize how much sugar, salt, oil etc. we normally consume. It is quite alarming.

Cheers.
Old 8th February 2018, 11:07   #1874
Distinguished - BHPian

Whats are the thoughts on these 1min types cardio work outs focusing on the body weight. Burpees, Squats, push ups kind of stuff.

I have found that doing such work outs for 15-20 min in the morning results in a pretty intense workout (for a beginner like me) and seems to help burn fat and drop weight consistently. Of course, done in tandem with the other practices mentioned like minimize sugar intake/ reduce carbs etc.

Example: Tons of such videos, but was suggested this guy.

Old 8th February 2018, 11:35   #1875
Team-BHP Support

Guys - this is not a marketing email but I've been using an online program called Kenzai <kenzaibody.com>.

I swear by this and in my office alone at least 10-12 people have used this and had fantastic results in 100% cases. I've had a 118 kilo pal come down to 99 in 90 days and dropped 2 1/2 sizes while at it. I've personally dropped from my unhealthiest ever 70 kgs to 62 in their 90 day program. I've run my quickest half marathon (sub 100 mins) when I was at the end of a repeat 90 day program.

But essentially, I have found it to be the most effective form to achieve your peak condition in a holistic manner with a healthy approach to both diet and workouts and an online community that helps keep you accountable.

Check out their website. I've been with them for the last 3 years and its really worked wonders for me. What I like is that in 90 days they can truly make dramatic changes despite having a really gradual ramp up. The diet is not gimmicky at all - they feed you a lot in fact - just get you off the junk. Works for non-veg / veg / vegans alike. It works for people who are very overweight as well as people more regular with their workouts. the workouts use simple resistance bands and can be done at home / even a hotel room - no gym memberships required so works even if you're a heavy traveler.

Last edited by noopster : 9th February 2018 at 00:51. Reason: No commercial solicitation, direct or indirect please!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks