Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 16:10   #1996
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Have been lurking this thread for quite a while , thought I would add updated from my side. I started lazy keto around 5 months back with a start weight of 108. About two months down the line i combined Keto with 16/8 IF. As of this week I weight 84 kg. I have been doing 3-4 weeks of cardio for the past 2 and half months, mostly swimming along with treadmill/elliptical. I plan to slowly wean off keto (atleast one meal) once i hit target weight of 75 and start weight training.
This thread has been massively helpful, specially early on in my transition path. I'll share more updates as I hit the goal weight and move to building phase
Old 31st August 2018, 23:38   #1997
BANNED

Hi Everyone, a quick question.

Those who've done Keto successfully, what do you eat?

I'm just wondering what regular Indian foods you eat that fit in the Keto regiment.

I did Google a bit and have come across some recipes but I'm unable to find most of the ingredients locally, might be because they're called different names, I dont know, didn't put much thought into it, I also recall seeing that Tandoori Chicken is a Keto Food, no clue about validity though.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 31st August 2018 at 23:40.
Old 1st September 2018, 00:25   #1998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Started back on LCHF two days ago, but already finding it difficult to eat chicken and egg every other time. Would like to stick to 90% LCHF.
Hmm, I have gotten used to eating NV for both my meals. Look up posts from Ampere and GTO on this thread, they have shared veg options for LCHF.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:26   #1999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, I have gotten used to eating NV for both my meals. Look up posts from Ampere and GTO on this thread, they have shared veg options for LCHF.
I'm okay with non veg, but need some variety, so was wondering what others might be having.

I was also thinking if there is any limit to the number of eggs one can eat per day? And the amount of butter too. Just afraid if anything will be too much!
Old 1st September 2018, 12:31   #2000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I'm okay with non veg, but need some variety, so was wondering what others might be having.

I was also thinking if there is any limit to the number of eggs one can eat per day? And the amount of butter too. Just afraid if anything will be too much!
I can understand low carb. But why high fat ? Eating south Indian which is also satisfying but having less calories (with less or no sugar) should be good enough.
I do this whenever I can and lose weight or gain weight on a whim. I also workout though for 2 hours everyday Always found reducing food intake is easier than trying to eat specific things.

Last edited by srishiva : 1st September 2018 at 12:32.
Old 1st September 2018, 12:34   #2001
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I can understand low carb. But why high fat ?...
Of the three macro nutrients, body can derive energy from carbs and fat (protein is used to rebuild cells). So, when you cut carbs, you naturally replace it with the other energy source - the fat!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 20:07   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Those who've done Keto successfully, what do you eat?

I'm just wondering what regular Indian foods you eat that fit in the Keto regiment.
Following is my regime of keto diet food:
- bullet coffee in the morning (coffee + butter + coconut oil, mixed with froather)
- Omlet, leafy vegetables with lot of cheese and oil in breakfast
- Chicken, mix vegetables for lunch
- small portion of dry coconut / cheese cube / nuts, etc for evening snacks
- dinner mostly light with eggs/chicken & vegetables

I would recommend learning (or teaching to your spouse ) different recipes of chicken, egg & cheese, that way you will not get bored with same type of food every day.

I keep following main ingredients in stock at home
- cheese, butter, coconut oil
- lots of vegetables
- flax seeds
- nuts
- eggs
Old 2nd September 2018, 10:23   #2003
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I can understand low carb. But why high fat ?
Don't ever avoid healthy fats like in cheese & ghee. Avoiding fat because you think it'll make you fat is like avoiding black grapes because you think it'll make you black .

Healthy fats are very good for you & needed for optimal functioning of the body. I had all of these (never in excess though) during my 20-kilo drop.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2018, 19:05   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That is similar to the Master Cleanse Diet. I did it back in 2003. I just drank fresh lemon juice and green tea for 10 days. The loss of weight is very real and there is no loss of strength either. I lost about 10kgs in 10 days. I was working out everyday during this diet. However, the weight comes back once you start eating again. All that toxin removal claims are bogus.

I knew some people who took it to 15-20 days. But I couldn't wait to get back to eating again once 10 days were completed.
Don't you think the sugar intake in the master cleanse diet is on the higher side? Can we reduce the intake of maple syrup which alone increases the sugar level?
Old 3rd September 2018, 19:21   #2005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Don't you think the sugar intake in the master cleanse diet is on the higher side? Can we reduce the intake of maple syrup which alone increases the sugar level?
I did that 15 years ago. I wouldn't do it now, knowing what I know now. That is an extreme diet, with too many hyped up claims. Please don't do that diet. If I want to go extreme now, I would only do low carb OMAD, and not purel liquid diet high on sugar. But I am happy with IF on LCHF. I don't think I can sustain OMAD and have a social life.
Old 4th September 2018, 10:23   #2006
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
Following is my regime of keto diet food:
Thank you sir, due to compulsion from family I had to break my fast after completing 7 days, took up a OMAD-Keto regime started with some veggies(Broccoli, Tomato, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chili's, Pepper and Tamarind) fried in 50g's of butter, was able to eat only a small quantity in spite of warming up with lime water.

Since I'm a (lazy)bachelor I've decided to go with Butter and Egg's for the upcoming days as I'd be moving out from my parents place. read no mom to cook. 5 Eggs and 50g's of butter would give me roughly 800 calories which is decent I presume.

As far as my fasting stat's go, I started at 108 kg's and ended the fast at 101 kg's and a night after the Keto snack I'm at 100 kg's today morning. Had taken a full blood work while I was still fasting and some of my stat's are off for some reason I do not understand, see for yourself;

The Weight Loss Thread-ashwin-stats.jpg

The day before the test and the day before that I'd ridden roughly around 300 km's per day to attend a reunion at Munnar, I doubt whether that could be a deciding factor, though not sure.

Anyways until there is a cause of alarm like say I might die an overweight virgin I will still stick to the Keto/LCHF-cum-OMAD diet until I get to drop a few more BMI points and fall within the normal range.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 4th September 2018 at 10:24.
Old 7th September 2018, 10:28   #2007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

As a result of the above mentioned steps, I am happy to report a reduction of 6kgs over a period of 4 months, even as I stick to paranthas, butter, desi ghee, lassi, mangoes, rajma chawal and anything thats cooked in the kitchen. I am at 87 kgs now, per BMI, I should be 85kgs max.
Following my routine as I described sometime ago - eating what is made at home + conscious increased activity - my weight has now reduced by a further 3 kgs in last 2.5 months.

In between one day ( on a Sunday) I volunteered to work as a daily wager at a house construction site. My step count blew through the roof that day and carrying all those bricks for a full day brought many new lessons for me - mentally, emotionally and of course physically!
Old 7th September 2018, 11:24   #2008
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Below is my post from few months ago. Happy to report that I am now down to 82.5kgs ! I was at around 87kgs during the early part of this year. Have tried to control what i eat more than anything else & have been following this thread. No major changes in my gym schedule, nothing strenuous just a regular workout most days. I am glad that waking up early morning & being in the gym at 6am has become a habit.

Quote:
I am in my early 30's , 6 feet tall weighing about 85-86kgs at present,wear 34" trousers. I workout in the gym 6 days a week for about 40mins. i remember being a constant at 82kgs (ideal weight for my height) 10+ years ago.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:40   #2009
Distinguished - BHPian

I see that many of you are on a Keto diet and have derived short term benefits from it. Don’t want to spook you, but there does seem to be a lot of data saying that this is bad for your heart in the long run.

One link to an article that talks about this is here.

So please check with your doctor and preferably a cardiologist if you have any heart disease markers before trying this out.
Old 14th September 2018, 08:13   #2010
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I see that many of you are on a Keto diet and have derived short term benefits from it. Don’t want to spook you, but there does seem to be a lot of data saying that this is bad for your heart in the long run.
Thanks. Interesting conversation no doubt!

One item which stands out is the doctor talking about using plant based products more. Keto I dont think advocates no plant based products. They have very low GI (glycemic index) and are good; even in a keto diet. (In fact one of the comments on the video link does say the same)

I think the issue is; many take Keto to only heavy duty animal based fat/protein intake. I think that also needs to happen in moderation. Add to it good set of veggies and fibre.

Even I dont believe on a 100% Keto mode. Its definitely good to bring down the average weight from obesity levels to normal. But the sustenance going forward of the same needs to be planned well.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd October 2018 at 06:49. Reason: Typo fixed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks