Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 20:36   #2071
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
"Body Composition Analysis" is done free at most gyms, usually to entice folks to join.
Powerful tool they have at their disposal to frighten folks into enrolling! The odd occasion I've stepped into a gym over the last year has been the apartment complex one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsr View Post
A good weighing scale , used regularly , is perhaps of greater value.
Thanks. Truth be told, the only time we take out our weighing scale is before a flight journey - to weigh our luggage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
best method is the skin fold method where you measure the thickness of the skin fold at various places in the body and then determine the fat content based on this.
Thanks. Wasn't aware of the skin-fold measurement. Google search shows a simple enough looking device that could easily be used at home. Will look into it.
Old 6th December 2018, 00:30   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Few weeks back we had some random people walking the corridors our apartment complex knocking on doors at random to sell "Body Composition Analysis." Bunch of parameters including something that relates with amount of fat vs muscle in the body.

After a bit of haggling they came down from 500/- to 300/- for a measurement. Seemed like a slightly elaborate weighing scale giving out variety of readouts. I am not sure how authentic it could be, but it was certainly educational for more.

Any doctors on the forum could throw some light on it.
You can get the same Body Composition Analysis test done at any decent gym for free. The testing machines at the gym are generally more accurate comparatively than the weighing scale looking ones that you're talking about.
Also all parameters have only an approximate value on such testing machines. If you are trying to get fit/lose weight rely on the mirror and how your clothes fit.
PS. I am a sports nutritionist.
Old 6th December 2018, 00:43   #2073
Senior - BHPian

I know I already participated in this thread with enthusiasm about protein, calories and macros, since I lost a lot of weight with macro counting.

But this year I have switched gears completely. I have been trying a spiritual approach with saatvik food, and it has just worked. I didn't do it for the sake of weight loss, but incidentally I found a lot of weight being lost (25 pounds in about 2 months, then stabilized) and heightened energy levels. I wake up early in the morning with no alarm needed, and most of the days breathe effortlessly through both nostrils.

I know this is a weight loss thread, not a spirituality thread, but I thought I should mention in the context of weight loss and general health benefits that I started noticing. I will no longer recommend calorie counting (which definitely works), I will recommend a saatvik way of eating going forward.
Old 6th December 2018, 08:10   #2074
Senior - BHPian

@rajushank84, what if you overeat sattvik food, won't it let gain weight?
Old 6th December 2018, 08:40   #2075
Distinguished - BHPian

Question for the experts on this thread. This may sound daft but please indulge me as it is a sincere question. To lose weight I plan to cut out sugar, sweets, desserts in all forms for a year and let all else remain the same - diet, exercise, etc. I eat some dessert usually home made each day. Will this one action by itself lead to a gradual decline in weight of say 1 kg a month? I am a teetotaller, non-smoker, egg-vegetarian & light exerciser. I find diets very difficult to keep to due to frequent travel. I have just shifted gears from a corporate-business occupation to a second stage of life social impact career and turn 60 very soon. Thought this was as good a time as any other to re-charge the chariot so that it lasts me well till the Good Lord pulls out the plug. Thank you in advance for your advice and sharing your experiences.
Old 6th December 2018, 09:44   #2076
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I will no longer recommend calorie counting (which definitely works), I will recommend a saatvik way of eating going forward.
Calorie counting just happens to be a crude way of weight loss because it treated all kind of calories as same. Now the world knows better, so we must move on.

Weight Watchers was the biggest backers of calorie counting diet methods. Even they have changed their tune recently.

Quote:
Gary Foster, Ph.D., the chief scientific officer at Weight Watchers, .....

He also notes that Weight Watchers revised its program in December 2015 to focus less on calorie counting, taking into account the types of foods being consumed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I find diets very difficult to keep to due to frequent travel.‎
Diets are also difficult when you don't have the conceptual understanding of the diet. Please read the first post of this thread, where I have tried to summarize the current understanding of fat loss. That will help you create your own diet rather than depend on others.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th December 2018 at 10:59.
Old 6th December 2018, 10:12   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Question for the experts on this thread. This may sound daft but please indulge me as it is a sincere question. To lose weight I plan to cut out sugar, sweets, desserts in all forms for a year and let all else remain the same - diet, exercise, etc. I eat some dessert usually home made each day. Will this one action by itself lead to a gradual decline in weight of say 1 kg a month? I am a teetotaller, non-smoker, egg-vegetarian & light exerciser. I find diets very difficult to keep to due to frequent travel. I have just shifted gears from a corporate-business occupation to a second stage of life social impact career and turn 60 very soon. Thought this was as good a time as any other to re-charge the chariot so that it lasts me well till the Good Lord pulls out the plug. Thank you in advance for your advice and sharing your experiences.
‎
Cutting out sugar, sweets, desserts will help lose some weight if you have all these on a regular basis. How much weight you will lose and at what rate would depend on how frequently you have been having them and in what portions. But it is a reasonable way to get started to get healthier.

Dieting for weight loss does get difficult if you travel very often, however if you try and understand the basics of diet you can make healthier choices even when you are eating outside food.
Old 8th December 2018, 03:11   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
@rajushank84, what if you overeat sattvik food, won't it let gain weight?
Overeating itself is considered taamasic.

All hand-wavyness aside, it seems to work pretty well. It focuses on fruits, vegetables, nuts and honey. Milk seems to be a gray area, more of a "depends who you ask" thing.

But to get the essence of eating in a saatvik way, you need to approach it with meditation. Certain foods (and kinds of foods) seem to cause more lethargy / longer amounts of sleep needed, versus certain others. Eating just certain other kinds of foods over a few days, it is much easier to slip into a meditative state.

I find this incredibly interesting Again, this is not a "weight loss" topic per se, but thought it is worth mentioning as weight loss seems to be just one of the side-benefits of this. Personally, I'm never calorie-counting again.
Old 8th December 2018, 11:13   #2079
Team-BHP Support

The "Sattvik" diet works because its very difficult to overeat.
It requires a lot more chewing (which is GOOD) and is usually not very calorie dense.

Also, people who are very particular about what they can or cannot eat are usually more careful about how much they eat.
Old 10th December 2018, 20:32   #2080
BHPian

In all the LCHF diet suggested here seem to eliminate Carbs completely. Is it ok to have small portions of Carbs as the name suggests? If yes, what amount of carbs would be fine?
Old 10th December 2018, 21:30   #2081
Team-BHP Support

It is extremely difficult to eliminate carbs entirely. What most of us to do is reduce the carb: protein:fat ratio from the typical 70:20:10 of Indian diet to roughly 50:30:20. Even this is considered extreme carb reduction by some nutritionists.
Old 13th December 2018, 12:15   #2082
BHPian

Can someone suggest good natural Veg/Vegan protein alternatives for Carbs. I feel Non vegetarians are very lucky in this regard. The constant protein supplement i hear is WHEY which I am a bit hesitant to buy and have since I assume it's not a natural supplement. Or is it? Is there a way to get natural whey?
Suggestions please.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:14   #2083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Can someone suggest good natural Veg/Vegan protein alternatives for Carbs. I feel Non vegetarians are very lucky in this regard. The constant protein supplement i hear is WHEY which I am a bit hesitant to buy and have since I assume it's not a natural supplement. Or is it? Is there a way to get natural whey?
Suggestions please.
Low fat cottage cheese, low fat milk, Soya chunks, broccoli, spinach are all good sources of protein for vegetarians. Eggs are a very good choice if you can have them.
Whey is popular because it's convenient, low calorie and also because some people find protein shakes tasty. It's a by product of cheese making which is further processed and dried to make the whey powder that we buy. You can have it if having enough protein through natural foods is not possible for you.
There are whey brands in the market that have natural flavours added and no artificial sweeteners. You can get them if you prefer that.
Old 15th December 2018, 21:43   #2084
BHPian

Is there any effective facial exercise to reduce fat from cheek? There are a lot of videos in youtube but not sure which ones to follow.
Old 15th December 2018, 22:22   #2085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Is there any effective facial exercise to reduce fat from cheek? There are a lot of videos in Youtube but not sure which ones to follow.
Sir, I don’t think point reduction of fat is possible. Experts here can confirm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks