Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2019, 08:38   #2326
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Is eating white eggs okay, won't they have too many chemicals etc?

At my place, we have an option to choose between broiler and country chicken, but country eggs are hard to come by.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:27   #2327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is eating white eggs okay, won't they have too many chemicals etc?
Read elsewhere Yolks are good...should be better if EGG is consumed as a whole. What chemicals do you mean on egg white ?? This is what i get on an quick search

Quote:
The white consists of 88% water, 10% protein, and some minerals. The amount of lipid in the egg white is negligible (0.01%) compared with the amount present in the yolk. 5.The shell makes up 11% of the weight of an egg, and approximately 98% of the shell consists of calcium.
Old 26th August 2019, 12:28   #2328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Read elsewhere Yolks are good...should be better if EGG is consumed as a whole. What chemicals do you mean on egg white ?? This is what i get on an quick search
Sorry, I completely forgot (my bad) that people may mistake white eggs = albumen.

I did not mean yolk or albumen, I meant these eggs (artificially fertilised) vs country eggs.
Old 26th August 2019, 12:34   #2329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sorry, I completely forgot (my bad) that people may mistake white eggs = albumen.

I did not mean yolk or albumen, I meant these eggs (artificially fertilised) vs country eggs.
Stick to country eggs. You know things are injected into the poor mother hens, and they are grown in despicable conditions. Where do you think all that bad feed, antibiotics go?

Try and source the eggs directly from a farm, and you will help encourage farmers to keep things going.
Old 26th August 2019, 13:23   #2330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Just wanted to share my story.

I was 220 pounds in November 2017 and went down to 150ish pounds in December 2018. Reason for this drastic weight loss was because I turned 30 and I knew I had to finally grow a pair and do something about it.

PS; I dont have Abs and I am not fitness freak. I eat Samosas and drink beer every other day but I can deadlift (Single 1 max rep) 220Kgs so I am happy with that. For now.
Perhaps I am nitpicking on your great post, but are you sure it is 220 kg deadlift (=484 lb)? That would be more than super elite levels. (https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifti...dliftStandards)
Old 26th August 2019, 13:36   #2331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Perhaps I am nitpicking on your great post, but are you sure it is 220 kg deadlift (=484 lb)? That would be more than super elite levels. (https://exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifti...dliftStandards)
Clearly that was a brain fart. Should've been 220lb. 45x4 plates and the weight of the rod.
Old 26th August 2019, 21:49   #2332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post

When we shed weight, taking such an effort, sometimes the family members and well wishers, misread that we are falling sick as they relate chubby face and physic with being healthy. Did you faced any such situation?
Oh please don't ask!

Almost everyone who had seen me before believes I am sick. My relatives want me to gain weight as they are used to seeing "massive" Prasanna lol.

My family understands that any amount of brainwashing won't change me and hence have started accepting my routine.

Sadly, in India, fat chubby face = health & prosperity

Chiseled face = Rudeness & ill health

The Weight Loss Thread-photo-collage20190826_2134522.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20190825_222108_772.jpg

I can't wait to lose more weight and irritate my relatives In the past, those guys used to tell me I gained weight and whether I am still hitting the gym. Now it's my turn to enjoy hearing them say the opposite.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 26th August 2019 at 22:07.
Old 27th August 2019, 09:14   #2333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Oh please don't ask!

Almost everyone who had seen me before believes I am sick. My relatives want me to gain weight as they are used to seeing "massive" Prasanna lol.

My family understands that any amount of brainwashing won't change me and hence have started accepting my routine.

Sadly, in India, fat chubby face = health & prosperity

Chiseled face = Rudeness & ill health

I can't wait to lose more weight and irritate my relatives In the past, those guys used to tell me I gained weight and whether I am still hitting the gym. Now it's my turn to enjoy hearing them say the opposite.
Hi Prassana, How much time do you spend in your exercises? Can you please provide the splits?

Sorry for repeating the question, enquired in Instagram too.

Nice to see you, would definitely like to meet you. Hope your regime can be repeated by many other, including me of course.
Old 27th August 2019, 12:50   #2334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Hi Prassana, How much time do you spend in your exercises? Can you please provide the splits?
I work out during all morning and evenings.

Most important part is the 4 am cardio. I walk for 70 minutes, a relaxed 5.2-5.5 km distance. That session sets up the rest of the day for me.

I come back home, drink coffee, bathe, and hit the gym by 6 30am. 45 minutes of moderate to intense lifting session, mostly split by body parts involving lots of compound movements.

In the evenings, once I reach from work , I try to get a 15-20 minute power nap, and then a mandatory coffee before doing the evening exercise . Most evenings I hit the gym, intense 45 to 1 hour workout, which involves whole body routine, and a lot of isolation exercises. I finish off the session with a relaxed 30 minute walk.

On days I don't hit the gym in the evening, I either ride my bicycle for 40 minutes (13-15 km) or walk at moderate pace for 2 hours(11km).

I make sure I exercise both times of the day. It must feel like a lot in the beginning, but as days pass on, you would start to crave physical exertion. If I am not exerting myself even for a day, I really really feel uncomfortable and restless.

On Sundays , I love pushing the limits of my cardio. I walk 4 hours in the morning, with a group of friends happily chitchatting 13-17km. And cycle 12 km in the evening. On Sundays, I also consume around 3500 calories.

Again, if weight loss is your goal, you can lose weight even without exercise. For an example, I burn 1000 calories a day by exercises alone, my RMR is 2200 calories and calories burnt through other daily stuff must be 300-500 calories. So it's a 3500 - 3800 daily calorie expenditure. I eat 5 to 6 meals a day, each 300-500 calories.

Daily intake is at 2500-2800 calories. My deficit is 1000 calories a day and on days I eat more, it's lesser. I make sure I have a minimum deficit of 500 calories a day.

So in 9 months, I have lost 41kgs. I could have lost the same 41kg without exercise, just by limiting my daily intake to 1500 calories. I chose not to, because I love food, and I love exercise. Additionally, strength training helps you get great looks while losing weight. Musculature, vascularity and strength levels get significant improvement on the individuals who regularly strength train while dieting.

The point is, don't focus on doing a lot of exercises when your nutrition is not right. First step is the diet, next is exercise. Without exercise, you can still lose weight, but without a proper nutritional planning, any amount of exercise will be useless.

An example meal of my 500 calorie allowance. Today's lunch, a little less than 100g rice with 300g chettinad chicken gravy. Breakfast was cereal, a little cashews, banana and coffee - 400 calories. I might also enjoy a hot Samosa and coffee at 3 pm (500 calories). I enjoy my meals, and don't make my mind feel that I am in a restrictive eating phase, and the truth is, I am not in a restrictive diet.

The Weight Loss Thread-photo-collage20190827_125436.jpg

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 27th August 2019 at 13:03.
Old 27th August 2019, 15:25   #2335
BHPian

Heheh. Well, my journey was clearly a lot less painful than most. Weight increased from 63 kg at 18 to about 73 kg by 25 with a series of injuries, surgeries and fractures. Thereafter, lifestyle choices coupled with a genetic tendency to put on weight easily saw me hit a peak of 84 by mid-2013. Since then, dropped weight to about 61.5 by mid-2014; bulked up to a 72 by 2019 Jan and have no leaned down to 68.5. At current weight, I'm even slimmer than in 2014 (going by body fat content), but a lot thicker on muscle mass.

Am targeting growth to a lean weight of 72 over the next 12 months. I go slow on bulking to avoid body fat growth as I'm hardly a spring chicken now!
Old 29th August 2019, 17:17   #2336
Senior - BHPian

Sitting on my living room sofa, I get the breakfast plate from my wife and try to place it at its usual, strategically located, easily accessible and extremely supportive stand; only there isn't a stand anymore!

On a lazy Sunday morning, I venture out to get some groceries; as soon as I get down from the car and start walking, I feel someone/something tugging at my trousers in an apparent attempt to pull it down. Looking around, I realise that there isn't anyone. The trunnion that was securely holding the pants had gone missing.

A neighbour, whom I hadn't seen for a while is shopping. I wish him and he doesn't respond. After what seems an eternity, he manages a forced smile and utters SORRY, BUT(do I know you-unsaid)?

I visit a cousin whose legs are crushed in an accident. His mother, my aunt, unconsolable from the tragedy, stops crying, holds my hands and (forgetting her own sorrow for a second) asks me if I am alright. Have I come down with a severe bout of anything serious?

I am contesting a staff union election. Due to official commitments, I am out of station. My opponent floats a rumour that I might have got cancer. And a few people do find the statement credible.

Towards the end of a rigorous ride, I feel unequal to the task of climbing up the slope and want to stop for rest. Before braking, I look at myself; gone is my paunch, gone are the tyres, the packs. I feel inspired and pedal the bicycle with more resolve.

A friend has come down home for a few days. There is a kilogram of my favorite sweet on the kitchen shelf - box opened, smelling, looking delicious and inviting me to gobble. I don't even touch it.

This, my friends, is the story of my victory over evil - evil, that had engulfed my body and had started making inroads into my mind.

At the turn of the year, I was 36 and 80; the former number being my age as well as my waist size and the latter, my weight. One February afternoon, I suddenly felt the urge to downsize. I began to take control of my life.

Started with Intermittent Fasting: no intake between 2pm to 8am. The eighteen hour fasting did wonders to my health and to my life. From February 14 to July 31, I never ever ate a morsel of food nor took a drop of nutritional drink in the IF window.

Simultaneously, I started playing table tennis for two hours in the evening, followed by five kilometre walk. In the mornings, I would ride my bicycle for 15 kilometres. This went on from February till May.

From June, I stopped cycling and started walking 10 kilometres in the morning. The evening schedule remained the same. August brought me the courage to jog instead of walks. I now run ten kilometres in the morning; no change in the evenings.

These days, having reached my ideal weight, and because of my better half's insistence, I do eat at night.

At 36, I thought I couldn't shave off my pounds: GTO showed me that I can.

At 36, I thought I could never cover a 400 mtr track running. I would run out of breath half way through. graaja showed me that I too could run. And ride.

Everyone was talking of skipping breakfast as part of IF. I decided to skip dinner, skeptically. Samurai recalled his granny's example and reaffirmed the validity of my choice.

I thought my story isn't worth telling. PrasnnaDhana told me I am wrong.

There are innumerable guys on this very thread to whom I owe my success. Instead of listing all of them, I will just thank TeamBhp.

I am social media shy and hence won't post any pictures. I will only rely on statistics:

Height: 164cm

Weight: 80 to 58.8kgs

Waist: 36 to 31 inches

MiFit has been my constant companion in this journey from March 23, 2019. At the time of writing this, I have been walking/running a minimum of 10,000 steps per day for the past 160 days - without break. My average for the past month is as below:

The Weight Loss Thread-screenshot_20190829170050980_com.xiaomi.hm.health1069x1659.png

I am healthier than I have ever been in my life; physical well being has translated into mental calmness too. The only regret being that I should have started this transformational journey a couple of years earlier.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 18:12   #2337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
[i]
I am healthier than I have ever been in my life; physical well being has translated into mental calmness too. The only regret being that I should have started this transformational journey a couple of years earlier.
Absolutely amazing testimony!! I could relate to many of the emotions and reactions you have been through. And guys, here is another example of how exercise gets addictive

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the awesome story!
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 18:49   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
I am healthier than I have ever been in my life; physical well being has translated into mental calmness too.
Absolutely stunning mate! Congratulations! This is how a spark ignites a whole generation. What was your macros and daily calorie consumption? This thread is lit
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 20:58   #2339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Height: 164cm

Weight: 80 to 58.8kgs

Waist: 36 to 31 inches
That is one fantastic transformation! Hats off to you on your perseverance and hard work!

The advantage of this lifestyle is not only feeling fit, but also you will keep away all lifestyle related diseases. Wishing you decades of youth, fitness and health
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2019, 21:13   #2340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Everyone was talking of skipping breakfast as part of IF. I decided to skip dinner, skeptically. Samurai recalled his granny's example and reaffirmed the validity of my choice.
The reference to my granny got me all confused. Then I recalled the reference, it was my mother and the Harvard Study.

Wow, a great transformation. It proves the fact that weight loss is a mind game more than anything.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks