Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 22:24   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I could relate to many of the emotions and reactions you have been through. And guys, here is another example of how exercise gets addictive
I still get those occasional queries about my well being from friends and acquaintances. They mean well and I take their words in my stride. I was always a visibly healthy guy, specially in my face. Now that that part is more toned than plumpy, people are shocked seeing me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
This is how a spark ignites a whole generation. What was your macros and daily calorie consumption? This thread is lit
True.

But for this thread, I wouldn't have been inspired to take up the weight loss programme with such seriousness.

As for my daily intake of food, I would be lying if I say that I had taken any special care; I haven't. Being a vegetarian and a south Indian, my choices for diet food - especially with a growing child at home - were limited. Hence, I kept it simple: Eat only what is needed, twice a day. Normal household food comprising of rice, wheat, ragi and vegetables with a limited consumption of milk and curds were my staples.

One very important exclusion was sugar. I kept it completely out of my system. Even my coffees are all sugarless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
The advantage of this lifestyle is not only feeling fit, but also you will keep away all lifestyle related diseases. Wishing you decades of youth, fitness and health
You were a constant source of inspiration; specially after you posted a past photo of yours: so was GTO, for the same reason. If you can run, I too could, was my logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The reference to my granny got me all confused
Sorry. I remembered the age as 80 plus and got confused.

Quote:
It proves the fact that weight loss is a mind game more than anything.
It indeed is.

When at home, going out wasn't difficult. But whenever I was away on official assignments, being physically active was very difficult.

On the Lok Sabha election day, when I was posted to a polling booth; on a Sunday at a film festival; during the heaviest of monsoon showers; either before or after long drives; in hell and hot water, I have walked, cycled or jogged.

Fortunately for me, I live next door to a very good stadium. Still, there have been days when I wasn't sure whether I would be able to walk home in a single piece. I would walk and walk and there would come a time when I could no longer sweat. Those were mad days. But they set the tone for the future. Of course, I have tempered down after many experiments; I know my limits as well as requirements.

One thing I have always been clear about is that I don't want to do anything that I can't continue for long. Anywhere in the world, I can walk. And I shall!

I fondly remember a few incidents:

I was at Kottigehara for a function. Sensing that I had a small window of free time, I took off on foot towards Malaya Maruta, and came back in time!

In Davanagere, I would reach the Kundavada lake at 5.30am and brisk walk the entire length of the walking path twice - a distance of nearly 11km.

Once, I had to attend a wedding at Srirangapatna. I drove there, came back to Chikkamagaluru and then went for a 8km walk.

These aren't 'typically me' kind of activities. I have, more often than not, been a confirmed couch potato. These days, I hardly have any connection with the couch.

Early in my journey, I realised the mantra of fitness: Sit when you are sleeping; stand when you are sitting; walk when you are standing; run when you are walking.

In a nutshell, keep moving!
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 06:38   #2342
BHPian

Height - 190cm

Weight previously: 107
Weight now: 69

Visible abs, Seperation in legs. Not even close to competition shredded but good seperation everywhere if I didn't overdo the sodium. Pretty sure I shouldn't be posting shirtless pictures here so we're gonna skip that for now.

Played around with my deficit a lot and kept it relatively high but didn't feel like messing up my hormones so stayed at that. Basically going much lower than the maintenance calories.

Goal weight in kg converted to lbs multiplied by 15. Roughly my maintenance. Tracked every single thing by the dot on myfitnesspal and used common sense with the calorie values to check things the first time around to see if i'm not tracking it wrong. Kept track of the weight every other day or every day if I could after bed before drinking water or anything.

When I did it, I didn't do much besides walking 30 minutes everyday at my normal pace. I exerted myself to let the sweat out a little bit but not too much. It was all a calories game. Ate whenever I wanted to and whatever I wanted to as long as I was getting enough protein and not eating more than the predetermined amount of calories.

Again, enough isn't 2-3grams per pound of bodyweight or something ridiculous. As long as I got 0.8 to 1 per pound of my goal weight it was fine. So basically almost never exceeding 160-180grams per day.

Gotten a few others down as well when they have needed to. I still weigh everything I eat or if it has calories on it, I'll add it to myfitnesspal as data every single time without failure. But there is no restriction since it has donuts, pizzas, coke and other stuff added in.

I do infact go to the gym now tho. Keeps things in control. Had a minicut just now eating 1900 calories approximately preparing for the tournament.

Caffeine intake as follows: Starting at the lower end spectrum at the beginning of the month, increase every week a little, go off after 4 weeks for one week and start back up again at the lower end of the spectrum. Black coffee (personal preference).

Questions welcome.
Swarit19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 19:46   #2343
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys, I watched this video and think it is worth a watch

Old 1st September 2019, 22:10   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarit19 View Post
Height - 190cm

Weight previously: 107
Weight now: 69
@Swarit19, in order to motivate lazy bums like me, please post Before & After pics just as Prasanna has done.
More the better. This will help get guys like me to put down that slice of pizza and get our acts together.

Congratulations on your weight loss.
For a person of your height of 190 cms, 69 kgs is awesome.
Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd September 2019, 01:50   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
@Swarit19, in order to motivate lazy bums like me, please post Before & After pics just as Prasanna has done.
More the better. This will help get guys like me to put down that slice of pizza and get our acts together.

Congratulations on your weight loss.
For a person of your height of 190 cms, 69 kgs is awesome.
Thanks in advance.
If I'm honest 69 is quite low but I don't have that much muscle mass right now so it's fine when taking that into consideration. This lower bodyfat helps so much with athletics and studies that I don't have the temptation to look sick in a t-shirt "quickly" atm. :P So, just running the marathon for now.

Sadly, will have to really go through my old stuff (two phones snatched in a month) on the cloud to find the old picture if I even can. I'll try.

Me hovering around 2000 calories:
The Weight Loss Thread-webp.netresizeimage.jpg

If I'm honest, I'd have probably asked you to go finish the slice of pizza as long as the calories were in check. Afterall, I just finished a huge burger myself.

Last edited by Swarit19 : 2nd September 2019 at 01:52.
Swarit19 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 08:23   #2346
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
At 36, I thought I couldn't shave off my pounds: GTO showed me that I can.

Height: 164cm

Weight: 80 to 58.8kgs

Waist: 36 to 31 inches
Congratulations Daily Driver! Am glad I could inspire you, just as so many others inspired me on this thread.

Here's to healthy eating + sleeping + fitness for life .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 13:02   #2347
Distinguished - BHPian

Day 288 : First day of intermittent fasting

Bodyweight : 94 kg

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20190903_2006268922.jpg

Plan :
16 : 8

2pm to 10pm - Feed time
10pm to 2pm - Fast

Worked out fasted in the morning (both cardio and weights). Usually I have coffee and banana before weight session. Today I still felt great without any food.

Eagerly waiting for 2pm to have the first meal of the day. I thought it would be hard. But it was pretty easy. 8am to 11am was the time hunger played games, but hey, it's all in your mind.

I am also trying to squeeze in the last meal by 9pm. At least 2 hours before the bed. In that case I will be at a 17 : 7 IF

I worked out my diet for the day, and it surprised me that I could only get in 1600 calories, and hence added another meal. 3+ meals within 8 hour feed time is a bit hard. Let's see how it goes. Let's keep the insulin levels in check

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 4th September 2019 at 13:12.
Old 4th September 2019, 20:26   #2348
BHPian

Thank you @PrasannaDhana for sharing your IF start details.

I have tried various forms of diet and have never been able to sustain the gains ( or should i say the loss? ) I normally joke that i start dieting at the start of the summer equinox and start eating from the winter equinox.

Well, i started IF + keto on 12th August. Weight 112.1 kgs. Tummy: 49 inches.
I gave up keto after a week or so since ketosis had not started. I am a lacto-o-vegetarian and that probably makes it more difficult.

However, the IF is going fine and i have my morning brunch at 10:30 am and my evening supper at 18:30 pm. So a 18:8 model. Works fine for me and now do not feel the need to snack in the night. In the afternoon though, i do take some fruits or something light along with my tea.

Exercise consists of daily morning walk of about an hour with 3 days a week 25 minutes gym. On other days i play TT. Energy levels are quite high after 3 weeks of the diet and the results seem very encouraging.

About the keto for Lacto-O-Vegetarians. Is it possible and where would one get practical gujju oriented diet? There has been a wealth of data on this thread, but i missed seeing anything with a Gujju flavour. Closest was GTO mentioning something about keto recipe for the sweet tooth- which i have.
Old 7th September 2019, 22:25   #2349
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Mods, please remove this post of it is irrelevant to this thread.

Day 291: Day 4 of 16:8 intermittent fasting

I am unable to eat over 2000 calories in a day, which is a good thing. And I am surprised that I am still able to workout with intensity during fast.

In December 2018, I was unable to do a single pull up at 130 kg, but I tried. And I have put in the work, every single day, for 291 days straight.

3 months ago, on day 200, I pushed my limits and did 50 pull ups in 18 sets of 3 reps/set average.

Today I pushed my limits and did 103 pull ups in 22 sets of 5 reps/set average at a bodyweight of 94kg. Maximum Pull ups I can do non stop is 10. Very happy that I could do 22 sets of pull ups. The volume is tremendous, almost 9700 kg weight moved in a 1 hour workout. The video below:

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 7th September 2019 at 22:28.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 23:55   #2350
BHPian

Read through the last 3 pages and I am feeling inspired by all the success stories, but all you guyz are just awesome and have achieved the transformation through determination and hard work which I think I don't have. I can definitely control my diet but I am a lazy person, I know atleast initially I will not go out for walks or jogs or gym.

At 39, 166cm and 82kgs, I am badly misshapen and yet I don't have the willpower to put in the physical effort. But still with dreamy eyes, I am here asking is there a way to atleast begin my transformation through changing or limiting my diet or its pattern???
Old 8th September 2019, 00:19   #2351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you are looking at IF, plan to skip dinner. It is the easiest. Have a good breakfast (8am) and lunch (2pm). That gives you a 18 hour fasting window.

I saw the Harvard link you posted - it seems merely advisory - as opposed to a widely cited per review study. Could you please shed more light on why you say it is easiest?

Personally - I feel more hunger as the day progresses while I can just POWER through the morning. This has been the case for well over two years of LCHF-IF. I have kept a 3-10 hour window, basically dependent on food availability due to my consulting career and late hours in office.

In fact, after every meal I feel slightly lethargic - I enjoy the feeling of a light stomach. So much so I delay lunch till 3-4-5 or so - so that I can spend the first part of the office day powering through it rather than falling back on coffee.

Looking forward to hearing why you suggest otherwise!

Last edited by phamilyman : 8th September 2019 at 00:20.
Old 8th September 2019, 01:03   #2352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Looking forward to hearing why you suggest otherwise!
I dont think its a common rule. If you want to skip breakfast (and lunch or late lunch), perfectly fine. Having dinner makes more sense in this day and age, given that is the only meal one gets to share with family at leisure.

Again stick to what works for you.
Old 8th September 2019, 07:35   #2353
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But it was pretty easy. 8am to 11am was the time hunger played games, but hey, it's all in your mind.
Hunger is like a dog - you can easily train it .

I have tweaked & changed my meal timings a lot over the years. In my experience, it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for your hunger pangs to get trained to any new schedule.

For anyone into intermittent fasting, check the several before & after pictures on Reddit.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2019, 09:19   #2354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And on the 4th day, I already am doing with just 1 meal a day.

I wanted to ask this, can dates be had and I need a bit guidance.

Morning - Almond, walnut, raisins, later tea.

I eat my late breakfast/lunch by 11/12.

Post this, I survive on chickpeas/groundnut/cottage cheese/fruits [anything else here, please suggest] within the 6-8 hours and if I am really hungry, I eat any fruit, though I get the most hunger pangs post a bath in the morning.

Hunger troubles me least at night, a cup of strong coffee [w/o sugar of course] is enough for me.

IF is broken by the tea and nuts. Is it OK?

This time, I am thinking to go low on broiler chicken and broiler eggs, it is country chicken with fish. And mutton on an odd day.
Old 8th September 2019, 10:04   #2355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I
Absolutely!

Mine got trained a bit quicker I guess. I have no hunger pangs anymore.

Day 292 (Day 5 of IF)
Today being a Sunday, I still went on my routine long distance cardio in fasted state. I usually burn 1000-1300 calories every Sunday morning through cardio , and treat myself with a superb ghee roast and filter coffee for breakfast.

Today it did take mental strength to complete my ~13 km of morning walk and come back home without eating anything. But that wasn't related to hunger though, it was all about my habit. I feel amazing now and surprisingly fresh. Sunday cardio is a liberating experience

The Weight Loss Thread-img_20190908_093213_7302.jpg

I had an appointment at 10 30 hence had to stop with 13 km. Usually we hit 15-17 km

The Weight Loss Thread-screenshot_201909080926512.png

I already feel my belly fat has considerably reduced, but it is too early to judge. I want to go to 20:4 plan, but I am controlling myself to hold on to 16:8 for atleast a month.

16:8 is pretty easy.

@Sheel, tea definitely will break the fast. Anything with calories will break the fast. For insulin levels to go low and for glycogen levels to get depleted, they say, it takes 12 hours of total fasting. And your fat starts getting used as energy after 12th hour. Please check out fledge fitness channel on YouTube.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th September 2019 at 10:08.

Most Viewed