Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2019, 10:18   #2356
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
@Sheel, tea definitely will break the fast. Anything with calories will break the fast. For insulin levels to go low and for glycogen levels to get depleted, they say, it takes 12 hours of total fasting. And your fat starts getting used as energy after 12th hour. Please check out fledge fitness channel on YouTube.
But save for a cup of coffee at night, I don't have anything. Tea too is w/o sugar [of-course].

Last meal is at ~6 PM [very light] and tea is at ~8 am.
Old 8th September 2019, 11:27   #2357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I saw the Harvard link you posted - it seems merely advisory - as opposed to a widely cited per review study. Could you please shed more light on why you say it is easiest?
As you are probably aware, most weight loss happens at night, while you are sleeping. Since humans typically sleep at night without taking any sustenance, human body has evolved to burn stored fat during night sleep. The IF fat burning kicks off after 12 hours of fasting. If you eat at 2PM, you will have fat burning from 2AM to 8AM, until breakfast. However, if you eat before sleeping, you are providing easier source of food to your body. That's the theory behind this recommendation.

On the practical side, I found skipping dinner lot easier. Lunch gives enough energy to go on until night. Then you can sleep and go into limp mode whole night.

It easier to sleep through the last hours of your IF, than be awake and working in office. Your experiences may be different. Ultimately, you should do what is convenient to you. Otherwise, you will fall out of the diet.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th September 2019 at 11:31.
Old 8th September 2019, 11:52   #2358
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
IF is broken by the tea and nuts. Is it OK?
Fasting is broken by anything that has calories. Nuts definitely break the fast. Tea if made with milk breaks the fast. Stick to black coffee, any tea brewed in hot water (no milk, no sugar, lemon is allowed), or just warm water.

Quote:
And on the 4th day, I already am doing with just 1 meal a day.
You have mentioned about having nuts in the morning and then brunch at 11/12. That cannot be considered as OMAD Or have you switched to OMAD now and the nuts/breakfast schedule does not apply anymore?

Quote:
I wanted to ask this, can dates be had and I need a bit guidance.

...I eat any fruit, though...
Addition of fruits depends on what your goal is - weight loss or to maintain weight.

If you are in weight loss phase, it is better to avoid anything that has sugar. As I have explained earlier, the main advantage of IF is autophagy. But it also aids fat burn due to the extended periods with zero insulin levels. If you are in a 16 hour fasting window, you get about 4 hours of zero insulin level where your body can burn fat. If you load your body with sugar and carbs during the 8 hour window, you will stop the fat burn, as the body will switch back to sugar. So, if you want to extend the fat burn through out the day, cut down fruit intake and stick to food that is low in carbs or at least to carbs that have low glycemic load.

Once you reach your goal weight, you can still continue with IF and start experimenting with fruits, carbs etc.

Quote:
Post this, I survive on chickpeas/groundnut/cottage cheese/fruits [anything else here, please suggest] within the 6-8 hours and if I am really hungry
Almonds and eggs are good options for snacking.
Old 8th September 2019, 18:19   #2359
BHPian

Guys I need help,

I was 81with 25%BF, after 2 months of gym/diet I'm now at 75 with 22%BF. I'm skinny fat with belly/handles hanging. I am doing resistance training from 6AM to 7AM to get some muscle. I did some IF and lost good amount of weight, but I am worried I am losing muscles while fasting.

My question is how do u maintain the muscles while losing fat? I can get under 70 while doing IF, but I am worried about muscle leaking away. I have added one hour of cardio/resistance between 9 and 10PM, so I need energy for workout. But I like IF 'coz it's working for me. I can do OMAD with 1500 calories, but when should I eat to maintain my energy level for both workouts.

I am really confused now, any direction will be of immense help.

Thanks!!
Old 8th September 2019, 18:29   #2360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
My question is how do u maintain the muscles while losing fat? I can get under 70 while doing IF, but I am worried about muscle leaking away.
This answers your question

Continue with your IF and cardio/strength training and you should gain lean muscle mass while burning fat.
Old 9th September 2019, 08:31   #2361
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Fasting is broken by anything that has calories. Nuts definitely break the fast. Tea if made with milk breaks the fast. Stick to black coffee, any tea brewed in hot water (no milk, no sugar, lemon is allowed), or just warm water.
Ok, will follow this, in-fact did this yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You have mentioned about having nuts in the morning and then brunch at 11/12. That cannot be considered as OMAD Or have you switched to OMAD now and the nuts/breakfast schedule does not apply anymore?
Pardon my ignorance, but what does OMAD stand for?

Read the other bits and will follow them, thanks for sharing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It easier to sleep through the last hours of your IF, than be awake and working in office. Your experiences may be different. Ultimately, you should do what is convenient to you. Otherwise, you will fall out of the diet.
For me it is. Once I have my fill in evening, I am not bothered till 10/11 in the morning. It works for me, but may not work for others.
Old 9th September 2019, 09:04   #2362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what does OMAD stand for?
OMAD is "One Meal A Day". You fast all day and eat one big meal
Old 9th September 2019, 13:23   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Well, i started IF + keto on 12th August. Weight 112.1 kgs. Tummy: 49 inches.
I gave up keto after a week or so since ketosis had not started. I am a lacto-o-vegetarian and that probably makes it more difficult.
Completed 4 weeks of IF. Had abandoned keto after 8 days since ketosis had not started and following a vegetarian keto diet was proving difficult.

Result after 4 weeks: Weight: 106 kgs (Down 6.1 kgs)
: Tummy: 46.5 inches (Down 2.5 inches)

Are these results okay? Or too fast to be sustainable?
Old 9th September 2019, 13:46   #2364
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys, I am successfully at the 6th day of 16:8 IF. I am planning to go for a 40 hour fast after today's feeding window(10pm tonight to 2pm Wednesday). Planned to load on protein and fats for the last meal.

No particular reason, just to see how mentally strong I can be. Also read it enhances autophagy and works wonders with immune system. 16:8 seems to be too easy.
Old 9th September 2019, 13:51   #2365
BHPian

Surprising to see to IF has caught up a lot :-) Been following it for 8 months now (~ 235 days) and almost without a break, with standard fasting between 16 to 20 hrs and on occasions 24 hrs. Maximum till date was 48 hrs.

There are 2 aspects to IF, one is calorie deficit/weight loss and other is autophagy. Weight loss can be achieved in many different ways and IF is just one, so if the main goal is weight loss, calorie deficit can be achieved through CD (calorie deficit) and in such cases, one need not worry about having a coffee/tea during the fasting hours, as the ultimate aim is create calorie deficit.

Other important aspect of self healing/detoxifying effects of IF through autophagy can be achieved only if "insulin" secretion is totally curtailed for a specific number of hours, in which case, it becomes important not to have any food that will induce insulin secretion.

Above all is my understanding based on few articles I read. So better do your research.

Since 200 + days is reasonable time period, based on my experience

1. It is the easiest diet (rather eating habit) to follow
2. During the feeding window, i continue to eat high carb diet, not switched to LCHF, but still easily able do the fasting
3. During 48 hr fasting, my longest till date, I did 1 very high intensity 2hr bicycle ride and next day 30km commute ride still felt completely all right.
4. Weight loss in 8 months is only modest 9kgs or so.
Old 9th September 2019, 13:59   #2366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Surprising to see to IF has caught up a lot :-)
Most important reason why I started doing IF, after 288 days of 5-6 meals a day at a deficit, losing 42 kg is only one reason - To reduce insulin level and to improve GH secretion.

For someone who is into strength training, the worst thing during a deficit is losing muscle mass. And in my case, I love sweets, and so, even though I was always in a calorie deficit, I had been spiking my insulin levels frequently. This would have resulted in fat being held in the body.

Now, fat will be burnt after the 12/13th hour of fast and GH levels go up. A win win situation for people wanting to lose fat and retain muscle. Also IF is easier than planning 6 meals a day
Old 9th September 2019, 14:11   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Most important reason why I started doing IF, after 288 days of 5-6 meals a day at a deficit, losing 42 kg is only one reason - To reduce insulin level and to improve GH secretion.
Even while following IF, i read a recent research study (which appeared to be sincere) where if fasting window is aligned with circardian rythm, it is more beneficial than fasting in other widow, i.e. not eating after sunset types.

And your story was phenomenal and inspiring. Thanks. IF/PF (Prolonged Fasting) has many other good benefits too like stimulating growth hormone, reduce secretion of hunger hormone (ghrelin) & I can confidently say, once you get into the habit, it is the easiest to follow.
Old 9th September 2019, 20:12   #2368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. It is the easiest diet (rather eating habit) to follow
+1 to that. I too find IF to be much more sustainable and easy to follow than a strict grain-free low carb diet.

Here is my IF journey.

I started IF almost 2 years back, by late 2017. When I started IF, I was already into LCHF and had reached a weight of about 78kg from 90kg, and had plateaued there. I was also training for my Olympic Triathlon. I combined IF with my cardio and was able to bring down the weight to around 74kg by February 2018 when I completed my first Olympic Triathlon. I was lean, but did not develop much of upper body strength. After this, I continued my IF and switched from LCHF to moderate carbs. In August, I started training for my first half iron Triathlon. As this involved long hours of high intensity workout, I first had to stop IF, but continued with my moderate carb diet. As the training got progressively intense, I had to drop the moderate carbs as well and include sugary carbs like gels, sports drinks etc. By January 2019, I successfully completed my half ironman event, but had gained 5kg and was back to 79kg. I continued my training for the next half ironman and my weight was holding at 79. Then due to an injury, I had to stop my Triathlon training, and I reintroduced IF a couple of months back. With IF and moderate carbs, I was able to hold the weight at 79. But I wanted to use this break to get rid of that last layer of fat, and also gain lean muscle mass and improve my upper body strength. So I have started IF + LCHF + Strength training the past two weeks. I plan to continue this for two to three months till I achieve the desired fat %. After that I will be switching to IF + moderate carbs, till I am completely recovered from injury to start my Triathlon training.

In summary:

1. LCHF - 90kg to 78kg
2. IF + LCHF - 78kg to 74kg
3. IF + Moderate carbs + Cardio - 74kg
4. High Carbs + High intensity cardio - 74kg to 79kg
5. IF + LCHF + Strength - Ongoing

For me, IF is easier and practical than a proper LCHF. Here comes the frustrating part. I have not found the sweet spot to combine IF and long duration workouts for my Triathlon training. Ideally, I should train my body to burn fat during these long workouts. But for this to happen, I have to increase my performance levels such that I am able to do the longer workouts at the target pace in the fat burn zone. For this to happen, I have to do lot of high intensity workouts, which require high carbs and this results in weight gain. The search for the perfect combination of diet + workout continues. I started all these activities at 40 with no history of athletics in my young age. That could be the reason for this struggle.

Yesterday, watched the below video of an interview with Dr. Jason Fung. In this video, he covers everything about intermittent fasting, the role of hormones like insulin, leptin, ghrelin etc. A long video, but totally worth the time.

Old 11th September 2019, 14:53   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to go for a 40 hour fast after today's feeding window(10pm tonight to 2pm Wednesday). Planned to load on protein and fats for the last meal.
So, how did it go? Curious to know.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:12   #2370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So, how did it go? Curious to know.
It went awesome. I mean I was left with utmost surprise or I should say, positively shocked.

I lasted 40 hours without food, and at the end of 40th hour, I didn't even feel hungry. Moreover, I had trained 5 times in those 40 hours, as usual- 3 weights sessions and 2 cardio sessions.

Only time hunger was felt was during the 13-15th hour, after my 2nd workout, infact I was so hungry that I actually lashed out at a couple of road users . I guess my mind was counting the number of hours before I can eat again. Beyond the usual 16th hour, there was no hunger whatsoever.

Two important changes
1. I had been drinking twice the amount of water subconsciously and my workout intensity did not get affected
2. I couldn't sleep as well in the fasted state (25th hour onwards till sunrise). I guess my body couldn't handle sleep with an empty stomach. I had disturbed sleep, but made sure I didnt give in.

Surprisingly there was no fatigue, no drowsiness, no digestive issues or anything.

I have decided to go upto 72 hours next time (2 weeks from now). I am reducing Refeed times to 6 hours from now on. This will make my IF 18:6. I have already eaten 2100 calories so far today, which did include a cheat meal involving pastries and carbs. I have a 350 calorie allowance to be completed. May just have a coffee with scream and sugar (150-200 calories) and start my fast from 8pm till 2pm tomorrow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks