Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2019, 11:23   #2461
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
I do admit to have got few curious glances at the office canteen when I used the cabbage leaves like roti to eat with the chicken! [/ATTACH]
Ha ha. Welcome to the "Crazy" club!

Some updates from my side. Due to a heel injury, I have not been doing any Triathlon training the past 3 months. Decided to use this recovery period to drop some weight and gain lean muscle mass.

I have been doing strict Keto (less than 40g carbs) the past 4 weeks with 2 to 3 days of strength training and 2 days of Yoga. Weight reduced from 80kg to 74kg. Remained in Keto even during Diwali. Planning to reach a target weight of 70kg.

Was looking at some old pictures and realized what a long journey it has been the past decade.

The Weight Loss Thread-before-after-2010201220172019.png
Old 2nd November 2019, 12:13   #2462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Came across this video on Netflix. It is totally opposite to what is being suggested on this thread, especially eat a lot of chicken, fish and dairy for proteins.

"The Game Changers"
Lots of misinformation there.

https://perfectketo.com/game-changers-movie-fact-check/

Game Changers is obviously ideology driven documentary. That means it involves lots of cherry picking of facts that fit the ideology and leave out that don't fit.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd November 2019 at 12:22.
Old 2nd November 2019, 13:31   #2463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Game Changers is obviously ideology driven documentary. That means it involves lots of cherry picking of facts that fit the ideology and leave out that don't fit.
Well said. And that was a very good article. Thanks for sharing.

A friend of mine had shared a video a couple of days back that also talks about all the misinformation in the "Game Changers" movie.

But the sad fact is how many watching the movie will look if the facts presented in the movie are accurate. There will definitely be a significant % of people who just panic and convert - what with guys like Jackie Chan and Arnold advocating veganism.

When my friends and family see the weight loss I have achieved, the first question they ask me is "have you given up meat completely?" And when I tell them it is the opposite, they just don't believe me

Edit: And another one

https://medium.com/@timrees/watched-...is-fcc877b0104

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd November 2019 at 14:26. Reason: As requested
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:43   #2464
Team-BHP Support

Check the video embedded in the following link. They talk about the strongman shown in the Game Changers.

https://barbend.com/patrik-baboumian...robert-oberst/
Old 2nd November 2019, 18:12   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
When my friends and family see the weight loss I have achieved, the first question they ask me is "have you given up meat completely?" And when I tell them it is the opposite, they just don't believe me
So true. That is the first question- no meat no butter etc etc?? Then when you tell them what you eat, comes the disbelief. Further when I tell them that I also do IF by skipping breakfast comes the gyaan about how breakfast should be the biggest meal of the day and ideal way of losing weight is eating 5-6 small meals in a day.

I am just happy in the fact that I have transformed from a guy who used to take 2 pills a day (still managing to keep my BP only around 140/90 ) to one who now has a BP of 120/85 thereabouts without taking any pills for last couple of years.
What more I am lighter than I have been in 15 years and feel much fitter as well.
Old 9th November 2019, 11:36   #2466
BHPian

Quote:
Wake up call for a sedentary IT guy! Requesting advice on lifestyle change
Quote:
Update: 1 month

Marking completion of 1 month of IF & LCHF. Weight is down from 80.15 kg to 73.70 kg. Waist is down from 38" to 34".
Update: 2 months

Marking completion of 2 months of IF & LCHF. Weight is down to 70.60 kg. Waist is down to 32.5".

This 2nd month had a few cheat days on account of my birthday and Diwali. Had a fair amount of sweets, although far less in quantity than my earlier capacity.

Rate of weight and waist loss has also slowed down as expected, hasn't hit plateau yet but let's see. Overall very satisfied with my current dietary and exercise lifestyle which seems sustainable to me.

After seeing my transformation photo, couple of my friends called me for advice which I gladly shared. I did give them a disclaimer that my methods may not work as effectively for them and that they should think of this more as a long term lifestyle change rather than short term weight loss goal. Now they've started following IF and LCHF to varying degrees as per their feasibility. Happy to have inspired others!

Sharing the before-after photograph after 2 months-

The Weight Loss Thread-before-after-sep-nov-2019.jpg
Old 9th November 2019, 19:40   #2467
BHPian

Quote:

Marking completion of 2 months of IF & LCHF. Weight is down to 70.60 kg. Waist is down to 32.5".
Wow! Simply excellent. Many congratulations on the transformation.

This takes a lot of determination and patience.

Truly inspiring.
Old 9th November 2019, 20:41   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
I agree sir. Instead of simply transitioning to a a plant based diet, meat consumers can cut down their consumption of processed meat(like chicken nuggets), and replace it with alternatives like Chicken Breast. This itself has a big impact, since a single serving of homemade roasted chicken breast would have little trans or saturated fats compared to a serving of chicken nuggets.

The idea is to eat consciously. Our body requires a little of everything. This may be regularly told to us, but a balanced diet is the best.
Old 9th November 2019, 21:09   #2469
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello guys,

It is a good thing to share progress, it is better to be sharing our downfalls so that others can also learn.

Well, I was having a wonderful time following IF, so much that 20:4 was easy. And then I was hit with the seasonal flu, which wrecked my health for over 12 days. I still did my workouts, but you can understand how it would feel working out with running nose, severe cold, headaches and temperature.

Moreover, having 1 - 2 meals a day meant I had to have 1000 calories per meal, ie pretty large meals considering my earlier habit of 300 calorie 5-6 meals a day habit.

During fever, I had to come off IF, and diwali happened at the same time, so the large meals followed 3 times a day, which led to old habits of having sweets regularly, which urged craving more sweets the next meal and so on. I did stick to my schedule to the T. But large meals with sugar meant lower energy levels and interest in workouts.

Entire October went this way, and I did gain 2 kg (that's surprisingly low considering the amount of calorific surplus I was in), from 91 to 93kg. I must be honest and admit sugar is my Achilles heel. I managed to avoid sweets and voila, sticking to diet was easy again. The first week of November I was doing maintenance calories & already down by 1 kg. I am back on track totally since yesterday.

Effect of hardwork for the past 11 months, I did not put on much fat though I was off track for a month. In fact I looked healthier

The Weight Loss Thread-photo-collage20191109_213010.jpg

One positive of this derailment is that my metabolism must have been reset to higher calories again. I am planning on IF again, but with a larger feeding window to accomodate 3 small meals, 500 calories each.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 9th November 2019 at 21:38.
Old 10th November 2019, 15:30   #2470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

That is a fantastic progress You should be able to achieve your goal in another month.

At this stage, I would highly recommend adding a few strength training sessions a week. This will help build lean muscles which will also increase your metabolism. There is no need to lift heavy weights. Just moderate weights and also workouts like push-ups, pull-ups and squats. This will increase your fitness level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
It is a good thing to share progress, it is better to be sharing our downfalls so that others can also learn.
Thanks for sharing this experience. In the fitness journey, there will definitely be those inevitable downfalls. The key is to quickly recover. And you did exactly that. Continue with your experiments on IF and share your experience and inspire others.
Old 10th November 2019, 16:06   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Wow! Simply excellent. Many congratulations on the transformation.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
That is a fantastic progress You should be able to achieve your goal in another month.

At this stage, I would highly recommend adding a few strength training sessions a week. This will help build lean muscles which will also increase your metabolism. There is no need to lift heavy weights. Just moderate weights and also workouts like push-ups, pull-ups and squats. This will increase your fitness level.
Thanks a lot Ganesh sir! In fact, from the last one month, I have already been doing push-ups, squats and planks in addition to cardio. Already feeling improved strength and posture. Planning to add other body-weight compound exercises to the routine.

Quote:
Was looking at some old pictures and realized what a long journey it has been the past decade.
Wow! That's some next level stuff! Looks like you lost half a person!
Old 10th November 2019, 18:04   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lots of misinformation there.

https://perfectketo.com/game-changers-movie-fact-check/

I went through the quoted url. I couldn't see where misinformation was. The documentary tells you don't have to eat meat being a Djokovic or Kohli. It doesn't say meat eaters can't be those since they were already that Then it goes to show additional benefits and also address from impact to ecology. Problem with meat eaters by birth is they get offended easily for anything contrary!
Old 10th November 2019, 18:34   #2473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ha
Wow! You aged in reverse!

That's quite inspiring! Keep pushing towards your goals. Best wishes!
Old 10th November 2019, 18:56   #2474
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Problem with meat eaters by birth is they get offended easily for anything contrary!
They do? That's news to me.

Traditional meat eaters in India eat more veggies than meat because of affordability. For example, like most middle class non-veg family, my family ate non-veg only one day a week. On sunday we would cook and eat mutton or fish or chicken, for lunch and dinner. After that we are vegetarians for next 6 days. My frequency of eating non-veg increased only in my 30s when I could afford it more often.

Meat eating is not an ideological thing for me. But it is an ideological thing for vegans.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th November 2019 at 19:58.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 19:55   #2475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Problem with meat eaters by birth is they get offended easily for anything contrary!
Being a snowflake has nothing to do with what one eats. To think so is pretty immature in my very humble meat eating opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks