Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2019, 12:21   #2476
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Came across this video on Netflix. It is totally opposite to what is being suggested on this thread, especially eat a lot of chicken, fish and dairy for proteins.

"The Game Changers"

https://www.netflix.com/title/811578...=13747225&t=cp

I can't decide now what to follow.
"Forks over Knives," another very interesting, and probably more authentic, documentary on the subject.

Giving it a try. (Though it won't be strictly vegan; a bowl of curd every morning and chicken maybe once every two weeks). Just to see the differences it makes, especially on my cholesterol levels, which are just above the max mark, and on recovery, more so since I am trying to increase weights on Deadlift (max 125 kg for 1 rep so far).

I am 49, 5.6 and have very bad genetics, both from paternal and maternal side. For the last three months have been eating a lot in an effort to increase both, the weight on my body and on the bar, and yet scale has barely moved up from 72.5 to 73.5 kg.

Personally, weight loss too is not a major deal as I can easily go upto 68, my ideal weight. Below that is tough.

My dieting philosophy is "Eat Big Lift Heavy," zero supplements (whey etc.), and centres round calorie control and keeping the metabolic rate high. Let's see how this "eat as much as you can" "plant based diet" affects me.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 12th November 2019 at 12:23.
Old 14th November 2019, 16:59   #2477
BHPian

Wonderful thread. Thanks to all of you, I started IF journey earlier this year.

My simple regimen:
- Hot green tea early in the morning
- 3km walk and light jog
- Lunch at 11am
- Afternoon coffee. Somedays desi snacks to go with.
- Dinner by 7:30pm

Few changes in the kitchen
- Replaced Sugar with Jaggery powder
- White rice replaced with unpolished/Rajmudi rice
- White salt replaced with Pink salt
- Increased Millet intake. I used to love Jawar roti as a kid.
- Increased Ghee intake
- No reduction in portions or sweets. This Deepavali we had lots of Jaggery Gulabjamun

I am 38 6ft. Weight reduced from 86 to 79kg in last 6 months. Waist down by 3 inches to 34. Recently completed my first 5km marathon.

Thank you all for the inspiration. Keep going.
Old 16th November 2019, 11:19   #2478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
One Month Update

12th Sep 2019 - 98.5 Kg
12th Oct 2019 - 92.3 Kg

IF time - 6pm - 10am

Another 24 Kg to go !
2nd Month Update

12th October - 92.3 Kg
16th November - 87 Kg

Diet has been the same. Although there was Diwali in October end and add to that I was in Mangalore till yesterday since 1st November. So basically my diet had been derailed for around 20 days.

Weddings, visits to relatives and a whole lot of rice in Manglorean cuisine didn't help. I did indulge in some ice cream too.

My relatives were like, "This much is enough, don't get thin any more."

I walked a lot. So it helped me from gaining any weight.

I didn't lose a ton of weight in the past month, but I am finally (as per BMI) overweight, not obese.

Last year around this period, I was 108 Kg. My all time high, measured was 113 Kg.

Another 19 Kg to go!

PS: To anyone who desperately wants to lose weight, let me reiterate like many senior members have said. There's no one formula fits all. Each food group and diet plan sits differently with different individuals.

So take it easy, experiment and be determined!
Old 16th November 2019, 12:29   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
2nd Month Update

12th October - 92.3 Kg
16th November - 87 Kg
Wonderful! That's brilliant progress!

Quote:
I walked a lot. So it helped me from gaining any weight.
Something I noticed for myself that once I got used to IF and LCHF lifestyle, few off days here and there doesn't really derail weight loss.

Quote:
My relatives were like, "This much is enough, don't get thin any more."
Same here! But I feel its better to lose as much weight as healthily possible to counteract the days when maintaining the diet and exercise may not be possible.
Old 16th November 2019, 12:36   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post

Same here! But I feel its better to lose as much weight as healthily possible to counteract the days when maintaining the diet and exercise may not be possible.
Exactly. That's what I told them, and most of them eventually agreed with me when I said, the lesser fat in the body the better.

Another positive was that most of them were aware of the fact that what a potent killer sugar is. Many people are catching up on it.

Hope India doesn't go the American way. All sugar and corn syrup.
Old 16th November 2019, 15:10   #2481
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2nd Month Update

12th October - 92.3 Kg
16th November - 87 Kg
Fantastic progress in two months!

Keep going and keep inspiring
Old 16th November 2019, 19:36   #2482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Fantastic progress in two months!

Keep going and keep inspiring
Thank You very much!

Can't wait to start cycling and experience the effect of weight loss on my performance. Couldn't cycle much thanks to the prolonged monsoon. Add to that roads in Mumbai have been destroyed.

Your advice to workout/exercise post the 12th hour of IF has been very helpful.
Old 21st November 2019, 13:06   #2483
BHPian

Hi All,

Reading these posts about the awesome transformations that people have had, I also want to start my weight loss journey. I think that Intermittent Fasting would be a good fit for me. I am 36 years old, 100 Kgs and work in IT. I also come from a regular south indian eggetarian household.

Can someone point to me the links to an ideal diet plan? I see tips and suggestions in posts above, but an not able to fix on any concrete diet plan. Thanks again and best of luck everyone.
Old 21st November 2019, 15:08   #2484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivatakavacha View Post
Hi All,

Reading these posts about the awesome transformations that people have had, I also want to start my weight loss journey. I think that Intermittent Fasting would be a good fit for me. I am 36 years old, 100 Kgs and work in IT. I also come from a regular south indian eggetarian household.

Can someone point to me the links to an ideal diet plan? I see tips and suggestions in posts above, but an not able to fix on any concrete diet plan. Thanks again and best of luck everyone.
The best diet plan is to eat less. Less of anything and everything. Avoid ALL processed junk food. Eat only food made at home. Say no to any food that comes in the color white. Choose the whole grain or the millet variant of it. Get rid of Sugar and any food that contains white sugar.

And stick to a 8:16 fasting window. 8 hours within which you can eat, and 16 hours of fasting.

Good luck
Old 21st November 2019, 15:29   #2485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

There is no ideal diet plan that fits all.

And please don't get a plan from someone else. An ideal plan is very personal plan IMO. Review your own usual diet and write it down. Look at the major contributors of sugar - sweets and carbs. Try to reduce them.

If you ask me what worked for me, I would say the secret is 2 words - portion control

Now, after accessing the knowledge of so many people in this thread, I have become a fan of IF

So focus on 2 things

1. How much you eat - Reduce quantity
2. When you eat - Have a minimum 12 hour fast every day , more the better

Please remember, weightloss is not a result of diet change, it's a result of lifestyle change. So whatever diet you plan to follow, make sure it is sustainable by you on a long term(read: years)

Physical exercise helps, but not as much as a proper calorific deficit. So even if you don't find time to work out, you can still lose weight if you can manage your calorie intake(while also making sure the calories you take in are quality calories from healthy whole foods)

All the best

PS:; Guys who are regular IFers, did you have any effect on BP? Mine was always 120/80. But after a month into IF it has reduced to 100/70.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 21st November 2019 at 15:36.
Old 21st November 2019, 17:54   #2486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi All,

Can someone point to me the links to an ideal diet plan? .
Sure. Here it is in a nutshell. Super long read in link below.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/m...tionism.t.html
Old 21st November 2019, 18:40   #2487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And stick to a 8:16 fasting window. 8 hours within which you can eat, and 16 hours of fasting.

Good luck
Thanks for your advice Red Liner; hopefully I can make a plan and stick to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

PS:; Guys who are regular IFers, did you have any effect on BP? Mine was always 120/80. But after a month into IF it has reduced to 100/70.
Thanks a lot Prasanna; your recovery story on this thread is brilliant and inspirational in itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Sure. Here it is in a nutshell. Super long read in link below.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/m...tionism.t.html
Thanks for the link Axe77; will read and get pointers from it!
Old 22nd November 2019, 05:10   #2488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

And please don't get a plan from someone else. An ideal plan is very personal plan IMO. .
Quote:

Thanks for the link Axe77; will read and get pointers from it!
While the link is sensible enough albeit pretty generic, that one statement from prasanna is pure gold. What works for you should be very specific to you. Good luck!!
Old 22nd November 2019, 09:44   #2489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I started with Keto and settled on IF.

Before starting off I had a very high BP 170/110. I had to take pills to keep under 145/95.

When i started on keto i saw a massive drop. Over the months I saw that the BP fell in normal range even without pills.
Now on IF for 3-4 months and BP is 125-130/85-80 without pills

So i guess yes it has an effect.
Old 22nd November 2019, 10:08   #2490
BHPian

Quote:

Before IF and when I was around 98 Kg, my BP used to hover in the 120-135/75-90 range.

Now at 87 Kg it is consistent in the 105-115/65-75 range. My pulse too is rarely above 70.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks