Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2020, 17:51   #2581
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post

If I may, for better weight loss, eat earlier, a 90 min interval is not ideal. That being said, if you are active in the day, and your body has a higher than average BMR, it should not affect you as much, but in general give a 2-2.5 hr window if you can.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try to do it if possible (Reaches home after office at 7.30-8.00pm and I don't prefer outside food)

Quote:

On supplements, don't take them blindly, do a full fledged blood test and then consult a doctor.

Now, you might not need all of this, but knowing our Indian diets, I would guess 1, 2 & 3 you might have a deficiency in.

However, please do a comprehensive blood test every year to check, consume supplements and then course correct as needed annually.
Sure. I will take any supplement after consultation only
Old 13th February 2020, 17:58   #2582
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My weight is now down to 79.5 kgs. I think the last time my weight went below 80kgs was 15yrs ago! Have been consistently around 81-82kgs for a major part of last 2yrs. Less eating out + having home cooked food most of the time has helped.
Old 16th February 2020, 08:14   #2583
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I would recommend to get a blood test done including B12 and D vitamin to understand where you stand. Usually, it is these two vitamins that we Indians have deficiency of.
Quote:
Vitamin D - I was severely deficient, like non existent Vit D 2 years ago

2) Vitamin B12
You bet! 2 - 3 years back (before I lost so much weight), I got my blood work done and my doctor was at the low B12 & Vitamin D levels. The former is especially prevalent among us vegetarians.

I now take the Nurokind fast strip for B12 & Uprise-D3 tablet.
Old 16th February 2020, 10:57   #2584
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I've managed to break the weight loss plateau finally! Down to 75kg.

Though I was seeing inch loss and fat loss, my weight was stagnant around the 76-77 kg mark. It's been 2+ months since I stopped the treadmill routine and replaced it with a 1 hour routine at a local park (walk, run, exercise), results are showing up now. More inch loss and fat loss all around, thighs, back, upper body and belly. I was truly an "all rounder" earlier

I was used to custom tailored formal trousers due to lack of readymade options (fit would be far from being comfortable). Last year after losing weight I found a good fit in readymade Cotton Chinos and bought a few. Even those have become loose now as I seem to have shrunk! So, visited my trusted tailor for a new set of trousers, now looks like I need a major wardrobe overhaul, this is becoming an expensive affair, but I'm not complaining.
T-Shirt size dropped from XL to L (EU/India size chart) and now I need to look at replacing the shirts soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I now take the Nurokind fast strip for B12
I've seen on Dr Eric Berg's videos, he recommends nutritional yeast which is a good organic source for B vitamins and trace minerals.

Last edited by NPV : 16th February 2020 at 11:04.
Old 17th February 2020, 23:45   #2585
BHPian

Hello guys, this is a wonderful thread for people trying to lose weight and i am one of them. I am 22 years old, 6'3" tall and weigh 115 kgs. I am not a fan of lifting weights so i haven't gone to a gym. I am ready to go on a diet but i am clueless on how i should go ahead, i am ready to exercise but as i said i am not too keen on lifting weights. I plan to lose atleast 5-7 kgs in the 1st month.

I also have a cycle which i can use for exercising, but does it help you lose enough weight for the time you spend compared to say walking?

When i saw a photo of me from sideways i observed that my head is not in sync with my body and is a bit in the front if you know what i am talking about, is there anything i can do do to correct my standing posture?
Old 18th February 2020, 04:10   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
I am 22 years old, 6'3" tall and weigh 115 kgs. I am not a fan of lifting weights so i haven't gone to a gym...is there anything i can do do to correct my standing posture?
My friend, welcome to the Weightloss thread, it is the thread that transforms lives. At your age and height, you can easily transform into a Demon, if you can do this for the next 30 days.

First, create a passion for stepping out, get a fitness band or even use ur phone to track every step and do a 10k walk. You can do it easily, just wakeup 30 minutes early.

Second, count your macros, get myfitnesspal app and track everything that goes into your mouth for atleast 30 days. You will be surprised at the things that dissappears into the mouth

Third, just imagine you are a soldier in a battle field or a criminal in the prison, both dont have access to junk food. Stop eating junk for 30 days and limit or eliminate sugar from your food.

Fourth, join a group class, a yoga or dance or any other format you might enjoy. Sometimes the surrounding energy lifts you up.

Fifth, stop complaining about lifting. You need to shred your muscles into oblivion. When you grip those dark deviant dumbbells and pull, those tiny invisible tissues inside your chest, arms and biceps are decimated. Torn, like a meat in the hands of a hungry werewolf. That's when you know the meaning of pain. That's when your body is adorned with millions of tiny liquid diamond crystals. That's when you become a Demon. Just 30 days is all it takes. Just 30 days.
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2020, 07:05   #2587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I've managed to break the weight loss plateau finally! Down to 75kg.

...now looks like I need a major wardrobe overhaul, this is becoming an expensive affair, but I'm not complaining.
Congratulations on breaking the plateau!

I can totally understand that feeling when you need a wardrobe change I am in the same boat as you. In the past two and a half years, my trouser size has dropped from 36" to 32" (used to be 38" longer back), and the shirts have dropped from XL/XXL to M/L. Man, getting fit is proving to be very expensive indeed!

Quote:
Hello guys, this is a wonderful thread for people trying to lose weight and i am one of them. I am 22 years old, 6'3" tall and weigh 115 kgs. I am not a fan of lifting weights so i haven't gone to a gym. I am ready to go on a diet but i am clueless on how i should go ahead, i am ready to exercise but as i said i am not too keen on lifting weights. I plan to lose atleast 5-7 kgs in the 1st month.

I also have a cycle which i can use for exercising, but does it help you lose enough weight for the time you spend compared to say walking?
90% of weight loss comes from what you eat (or not eat). Exercising supplements the diet. You can start with two simple steps.

1. Totally cut sugar. It should be ZERO.
2. Make changes to your eating habits. If you can create a longer duration of fasting, your body will automatically start burning fat. You don't have to start IF straight away. Instead, have your dinner early, preferably by 6PM and not later than 7PM. Have your breakfast at 9AM. And nothing in between dinner and breakfast. If you are used to having coffee or tea or milk before bed or as soon as you wakeup, stop these. And absolutely no snacking between meals - ZERO snacks.

Try these two steps and you should see good results. Once you get used to this routine, you can then introduce stricter controls like low carbs, longer duration of fasting etc. You will naturally progress there.

Quote:
When i saw a photo of me from sideways i observed that my head is not in sync with my body and is a bit in the front if you know what i am talking about, is there anything i can do do to correct my standing posture?
I don't have a definite answer to this. This posture comes from both overweight and long hours of sitting in a chair and working on a computer. There are lots of videos in YouTube with exercises to fix hunched posture. The key is to strengthen some muscles in the back and along the spine. You should also practice to sit straight consciously. There are also products that you can fix on your back and they vibrate whenever you droop. This helps in correcting the posture as well.
Old 18th February 2020, 13:00   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Please ensure your maintenance level and daily macros are met, this is VERY VERY IMPORTANT. Losing weight is okay, but losing too much weight or having an imbalanced diet can have even more disastrous consequences than being over weight.

Counting Marcos you ask? It is not just counting calories in and calories out, but it tracks your carb, protein and fat intake, and all of these are necessary and important.
--Snip--
Thanks for the info. Did not know many things that you mentioned and had no idea what macro was.

Coming to these calorie tracker, i have tried some of them and all of them have issues tracking local dishes that an typical Indian consumes.

For Example - I consume Egg burji having lots of tomato, bell pepper, beans, carrot and whatever vegetable that i can find (3 eggs), cooked in Ghee or coconut oil. OR chicken curry consisting of coconut milk and other vegetables in it.
These can never be tracked via any app. Like these i consume many mixed vegetable to make a curry out of it.

So all in all 3 eggs, 3 chapathi and a healthy amount of vegetables or at-least 250-300gms of chicken and off course loads of water, a cup of green tea, milk tea should take care of minimum macro requirements right?

This is not a KETO diet. This is a normal diet consisting of everything but in reduced quantity.

The thing is I am not forcing my body here, I don't have hunger pangs anymore nor midnight cravings. body has gotten used to 6PM meal and till then water does the job.

Yes, multivitamin is something i had overlooked and have scheduled a blood test over the weekend to get to know where I stand. Dont want buy any pill on amazon based on reviews.

Quote:
PS: I started dieting exactly a month ago.

January 18 - 85.5
February 18 - 78.6
Have a doc friend who said out of these at least 30-40% would be my water weight so initially the numbers would be higher.
this will go down in couple of months and stagnate over a period of time unless I hit the gym.

Last edited by livyodream : 18th February 2020 at 13:03.
Old 2nd March 2020, 18:43   #2589
BHPian

3 Weeks into my IF+Keto and I am following it very strictly. Was surprised to find that I have no cravings at all and feels more energetic now.

Starting weight was 94 kg and after 3 weeks I am 86.3 . Feels good to see old clothes starts fitting now.

Activity details :
I do walk for 30-45 mins every day
Cycle to office (6+6 KM)
Does some gardening work while at native on weekends

IF details
First meal at 12-12.30 , Dinner at 8.0-8.30 PM and sleeps 7-8 hours
Drinks LOT of water

Hope to reach 82-83 Kg with this routine and then switch to Gym + clean eating
Old 3rd March 2020, 00:24   #2590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
IF details
First meal at 12-12.30 , Dinner at 8.0-8.30 PM and sleeps 7-8 hours
Drinks LOT of water

Be strict about the diet, timings and the exercise and you will get there before you know it bro!

I went from 78 to 65 in 50 days.
Surprise! A week of cheating in Switzerland, where not-so-wrong food, wrong timings and no exercise resulted in no wait gain.
Old 3rd March 2020, 06:11   #2591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Starting weight was 94 kg and after 3 weeks I am 86.3 . Feels good to see old clothes starts fitting now.
That is an impressive progress. Keep going and you will reach your target very soon.

Quote:
Was surprised to find that I have no cravings at all and feels more energetic now.
This is expected. When your body switches to fat burning, it has an enormous supply of fat to tap into. And it stops sending those hunger signals. And fat is a much cleaner fuel and makes you feel more energetic than carbs.

Quote:
I have a suggestion. Do not set a goal weight and switch out of Keto as soon as you reach the weight. Weight is a very crude indicator and can be used in the initial stages. Once you lose most of the fat, weight cannot be a good indicator. Instead start tracking your waist measurement and how the fat around your waist is reducing.

Do not switch out of Keto till you get rid of that last layer of fat around your waist. Introduce weight training while continuing with Keto. This will build lean muscle which will increase metabolic rate which will in turn speed up fat burning.

In the first phase, I had reduced from 94kg to 80kg and thought I had achieved my goal weight. But later I realized that I had lots of fat to lose yet. Now I am at 70-72 range and still there is lot of fat to lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
That is awesome! Congratulations on starting the fitness journey. Looking forward to meeting FORTified 2.0 soon
Old 3rd March 2020, 10:24   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
But later I realized that I had lots of fat to lose yet. Now I am at 70-72 range and still there is lot of fat to lose
I'm down to 71 from 81, but pleatued at 71 for 3 months now. My BF is around 24%. What is your strategy for getting rid of the excess fat?
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:37   #2593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
I'm down to 71 from 81, but pleatued at 71 for 3 months now. My BF is around 24%. What is your strategy for getting rid of the excess fat?
Strict Keto (less than 30 grams of carb a day) and strength training will help in getting rid of that fat quickly.
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:44   #2594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Strict Keto (less than 30 grams of carb a day) and strength training will help in getting rid of that fat quickly.
But the bigger question is, is it sustainable?

Our Indian diets are predominantly carb rich. Being on keto is a lot of work, personally. And once you are back at having carbs, the weight creeps back really fast.
Old 3rd March 2020, 13:18   #2595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Be strict about the diet, timings and the exercise and you will get there before you know it bro!

Surprise! A week of cheating in Switzerland, where not-so-wrong food, wrong timings and no exercise resulted in no wait gain.
Thank you . Hoping to continue till I get my desired weight and switch to clean eating and workouts to get a good physique.
Great to know you have lost lot of weight and are maintaining it

Quote:
That is an impressive progress. Keep going and you will reach your target very soon.
Thank You.

Quote:
I have a suggestion. Do not set a goal weight and switch out of Keto as soon as you reach the weight. Weight is a very crude indicator and can be used in the initial stages. Once you lose most of the fat, weight cannot be a good indicator. Instead start tracking your waist measurement and how the fat around your waist is reducing.
Looks like a good idea ! I can surely feel the inch loss. Old clothes started fitting now.

Quote:
Do not switch out of Keto till you get rid of that last layer of fat around your waist. Introduce weight training while continuing with Keto. This will build lean muscle which will increase metabolic rate which will in turn speed up fat burning.
Is it safe to continue for long term in Keto ? I have read that Keto is safe for only short period, like 45 days etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But the bigger question is, is it sustainable?

Our Indian diets are predominantly carb rich. Being on keto is a lot of work, personally. And once you are back at having carbs, the weight creeps back really fast.
I have started Keto + IF to reduce the weight to some level, and my plan is to switch to IF+Clean eating+Weight training to get into shape.
I will not be worried too much about the body weight (if its around ±5~6 kg of the recommended weight and if I am having healthy body fat percentage)

Keto helped me to gain the motivation to re-calibrate my eating, water consumption and sleep pattern (Which were way too unhealthy from past couple of years) and daily routines.

Most Viewed