Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 06:22   #2716
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Thank you

I think there is not much difference between a 36 hour and 48 hour fast.
Thanks. I will keep in mind about breaking the fast as well. Just looked into my Zero history. So far in this month I have done seven 20+ hour fasts with 2 of them lasting just 24 hrs. BTW I crossed 50 consecutive days of fasting (Min 16 Hrs) yesterday

I think one of these days, I will extend one of my 24 Hour fast to 48 hours. The bigger challenge I guess is to get my wife to let me try this.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 08:11   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Having black coffee, and green tea, and a couple of glasses of lime juice with a teaspoon of salt.
You have a phenomenal commitment to the diet and fasting regimen! During such times of 48-72 hr fasts, are you required to drink excess water to compensate for the hydration losses that might have otherwise come from regular food?

From you earlier posts, it looked like you were in a good zone already with regards to weight and diet. Going for a size zero ???

Last edited by Miyata : 27th May 2020 at 08:27.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 08:17   #2718
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Other than supplements, one thing to consider is how you break your fast. Do not break the fast with a big meal loaded with carbs. Have a light snack like a handful of peanuts or a couple of eggs scrambled. Once the body ramps up the digestive system, have your main meal, say after 30 minutes or an hour. Even in this meal, keep the carbs low so that you don't get a sudden insulin spike. After this you can get back to your regular diet. Having said that for a 48 hour fast, it may not be that critical.

Excellent points. Just a small addition.
After a long fast like this, it will be good to replenish your good bacteria in the stomach first. Look at having some probiotics like curd to break the fast to ease the stomach first, and then follow up with eggs a good while later. Curd will line the stomach with lots of good bacteria which will help with the digestion when you restart real food.

Have hung curd instead of regular curd. Its simple, just drain the water out of regular curd from a sieve over night and you have excellent probiotic protein laden hung curd. Tastes pretty awesome too. The whey water can be used for plants as it is very nutritious for them.

All my curd now is hung a hung over from curd
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 09:53   #2719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
So far in this month I have done seven 20+ hour fasts with 2 of them lasting just 24 hrs. BTW I crossed 50 consecutive days of fasting (Min 16 Hrs) yesterday
That is awesome! If you have done seven 20+ hours of fasts, then you are good to go with 48

Quote:
The bigger challenge I guess is to get my wife to let me try this.
You can convince your wife by referring to the fasts that various religions practice. Our ancestors had already incorporated fasting in our life. We just forgot them in our modern life filled with all types of food. For example, in Tamilnadu, we have a 6 day fast that follows Diwali. I know several elders who do proper water fasting these 6 days and they all used to live a very healthy life. I am seriously thinking of doing this 6 day fast this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
You have a phenomenal commitment to the diet and fasting regimen! During such times of 48-72 hr fasts, are you required to drink excess water to compensate for the hydration losses that might have otherwise come from regular food?

From you earlier posts, it looked like you were in a good zone already with regards to weight and diet. Going for a size zero ???
Thank you for the kind words

Yes. Good hydration is required. This is not because we miss hydration from the food that we are not eating. But 24 hours into fasting, the glycogen store in our body is used up. Glycogen is stored as glucose molecules in the muscles and liver. Each glycogen molecule is bound to 3 water molecules. When glygen gets depleted, all these water is flushed out of the body. We need to hydrate to compensate for this water. Even we lose electrolytes like sodium, magnesium and potassium due to this flushing mechanism and that is why we need to replenish electrolytes.

Also, I don't do these fasts for weight loss as main goal, though weight loss is a sweet byproduct. I do these fasts for their age reversing role called autophagy. Autophagy is the process where cells that have reached end of life, waste byproducts of cell division etc., are burnt as fuel. Once these wastes are burnt up, body can create new healthy cells. With this waste disposal and new cell construction (also called as neogenesis), aging process is slowed down. I do these longer fasts mainly for this benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
After a long fast like this, it will be good to replenish your good bacteria in the stomach first.

Have hung curd instead of regular curd. Its simple, just drain the water out of regular curd from a sieve over night and you have excellent probiotic protein laden hung curd.
Thanks a ton for this excellent suggestion. I am going to prepare hung curd tonight and break my fast with this curd tomorrow. Will have a couple of eggs 30 minutes after having this curd, and my big meal 30 minutes after that.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 10:29   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
All my curd now is hung a hung over from curd
Thanks for this suggestion. Will definitely try this tomorrow.

Quote:
age reversing role called autophagy
Was reading up on this and it seems like it kicks in only after 36+ hours of fasting. Plan to start doing 1-2 days of OMAD every week starting mid June. Based on your previous post, I think i will do OMAD for 5-6 weeks before I start trying out longer fasting.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:03   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Have hung curd instead of regular curd.
Any specific advantages to hung curd over the regular one?

I imagine the process of hanging it will drain it off some nutrients (small minerals like sodium, any potassium, etc in particular) and also drain it off some good bacteria as well.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:04   #2722
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn. I thought autophagy happens during IF itself. Time for some longer fasts i guess. And

Quote:
Overall, intermittent fasting and coffee consumption have both been shown to inhibit cellular growth pathways in the body and induce the onset of autophagy
https://lifeapps.io/fasting/coffee-i...and-autophagy/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Any specific advantages to hung curd over the regular one?

I imagine the process of hanging it will drain it off some nutrients (small minerals like sodium, any potassium, etc in particular) and also drain it off some good bacteria as well.
Think about it like this. If you get 500ml of hung curd out of 2 litres of regular curd, it is a highly concentrated form of all the benefits of that 2 litres of curd into 500ml. More protein, more probiotics, less carbs... And its also way tastier what you drain off is the whey water. Its also called Greek Yoghurt. Check it out online for articles.

Last edited by Red Liner : 27th May 2020 at 12:10.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:20   #2723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Was reading up on this and it seems like it kicks in only after 36+ hours of fasting. Plan to start doing 1-2 days of OMAD every week starting mid June. Based on your previous post, I think i will do OMAD for 5-6 weeks before I start trying out longer fasting.
Quote:
Damn. I thought autophagy happens during IF itself. Time for some longer fasts i guess.
When I started with IF, even I was under the impression that the moment insulin levels drop, autophagy kicks in, and hence even with a 16 hour IF, I would get the benefit of autophagy.

There are many opinions on this. There are some articles that say autophagy starts as early as 18 hours and some say maximum benefits occur in the 48-72 hour period. In my opinion, the low insulin levels due to intermittent fasting itself provides immense health benefits. Reversal of metabolic syndrome itself prevents major diseases like diabetes, heart disease and probably reduces the risk of cancer.

As I started reading more and more on this topic, I understood each fasting protocol has its own benefit. So, I am now gradually bringing in some routine with fasting protocols. I do 16:8 every day, 20 to 22 hours twice a week, and a longer fast like 36 or 48 hours maybe once a month. Also, 36 hour fast is quite practical to implement. One can have dinner, fast the whole of next day and have breakfast the following day. This way, a 36 hour fast can even me done once a week on a rest day.

All the best to both of you with longer fasts

A lot to explore!

Quote:
Overall, intermittent fasting and coffee consumption have both been shown to inhibit cellular growth pathways in the body and induce the onset of autophagy
It's time to brew that pot of coffee!

Last edited by graaja : 27th May 2020 at 12:28.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:36   #2724
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As I started reading more and more on this topic, I understood each fasting protocol has its own benefit. So, I am now gradually bringing in some routine with fasting protocols.
Go easy though...that much age reversal and you might lose your driving license
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 12:39   #2725
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT for this thread but what kind of fitness trackers do most of you use? I have tried the Mi Band 4 as well as the Honor band 5 and both are junk when it comes to standalone distance tracking (i.e when not paired with phone). Dont even want to talk about the HR tracking and all the other "features" that gets bandied about as deal breakers.

The pedometer I have does a great job and hence the reluctance to invest in a fitbit or garmin device. Any feedback on any other non gps bands that work well standalone?
Old 27th May 2020, 13:03   #2726
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Slightly OT for this thread but what kind of fitness trackers do most of you use?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...you-use-3.html (Which fitness tracker & app do you use?)

A separate thread here.
Old 27th May 2020, 15:32   #2727
Team-BHP Support

72 Hour Fast Update - Two Down One to Go

48 hour completed. Another 24 hours to go. Feeling a little tired. Otherwise no weakness or food craving etc. Energy levels are quite good to be doing my day to day tasks.
The Weight Loss Thread-fast-statistics.jpg

Blood glucose is at 70 mg/dL and ketones at 1.9 mmol/L. I see this level of ketosis only after the 10th day when I start a strict keto diet with <30g carbs a day.
The Weight Loss Thread-glucose.jpg
The Weight Loss Thread-ketones.jpg

Resting heart rate has come down from the low fifties to 48.
The Weight Loss Thread-rhr.jpg

Quote:
Go easy though...that much age reversal and you might lose your driving license

Quote:
Slightly OT for this thread but what kind of fitness trackers do most of you use? I have tried the Mi Band 4 as well as the Honor band 5 and both are junk when it comes to standalone distance tracking (i.e when not paired with phone). Dont even want to talk about the HR tracking and all the other "features" that gets bandied about as deal breakers.
If you want to track general fitness parameters like heart rate, sleep, steps, resting heart rate etc., and can do without GPS (need phone for GPS), then I would recommend FitBit Charge 3. If you want to track your fitness activities like running, walking or cycling using GPS then Garmin is the best. Garmin Vivoactive series has very good features. When it comes to 24x7 heart rate monitoring, I found FitBit and Garmin to be the best.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 16:14   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
72 Hour Fast Update - Two Down One to Go

I have officially started my first 48 hr fast today. Was'nt too difficult to convince my wife when I told I got this idea from TBHP.

Moreover she is an IF fan herself and well close to losing almost 8kg over past couple of months.

BTW what is the device you are using to track the blood glucose ketone level?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 16:34   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Think about it like this. If you get 500ml of hung curd out of 2 litres of regular curd, it is a highly concentrated form of all the benefits of that 2 litres of curd into 500ml. More protein, more probiotics, less carbs... And its also way tastier what you drain off is the whey water. Its also called Greek Yoghurt. Check it out online for articles.
As a whole you are losing more protein that was in 2 litres of curd. You are draining out the whey protein (and water).

But I am not sure if you are getting more protein per unit weight in the hung part of it. There is no concentrating part in this draining. Just separating the casein part ? Its ok if its tasty and you dont care about wasting the whey protein
Old 27th May 2020, 17:59   #2730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have officially started my first 48 hr fast today. Was'nt too difficult to convince my wife when I told I got this idea from TBHP.

Moreover she is an IF fan herself and well close to losing almost 8kg over past couple of months.

BTW what is the device you are using to track the blood glucose ketone level?
This is awesome

All the best with your first prolonged fast! Great to know your wife is also a follower of IF.

I use the Keto-Mojo ketone meter to measure blood glucose and ketones.

https://shop.keto-mojo.com/collectio...t-promo-bundle

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
As a whole you are losing more protein that was in 2 litres of curd. You are draining out the whey protein (and water).
Though there is some protein lost in the whey, it is mostly water and lactose. Lactose contains more than half of the carbs in regular curd. That is why hung curd is considered as a good option for low carb dieting.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed