Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 04:44   #2761
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Motivated by dkaile, my itch to show off makes me do this post. After all Vanity is still my favorite sin
That is a fantastic transformation and fitness journey!

Congratulations on your new found happiness!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:13   #2762
Senior - BHPian

I just started my 2nd run with low carb diet.

I used to to take raw banana stem chops mixed with curd for dinner. It makes you feel full and helps the bowel moments. I wanted to know if banana stem can be considered as low carb? I could find the carb count only in one website (mentioned as 12 mg), probably since it is not seen as food in many parts of the world.

Bowl of homemade curd from Desi cow milk (Akshyapatra) is another item I would love to continue while on diet, I guess this is fine.
gadadhar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:21   #2763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I just started my 2nd run with low carb diet.

I used to to take raw banana stem chops mixed with curd for dinner. It makes you feel full and helps the bowel moments. I wanted to know if banana stem can be considered as low carb? I could find the carb count only in one website (mentioned as 12 mg), probably since it is not seen as food in many parts of the world.

Bowl of homemade curd from Desi cow milk (Akshyapatra) is another item I would love to continue while on diet, I guess this is fine.
Interesting. I have never heard of Banana stems as food. I think (purely my assumption) a high percentage of carbs could be in Fiber form?

Regarding curd. It does have carbohydrates from milk. Depending on what you eat throughout the day, it can cross the threshold. It could be an idea to consider having Hung Curd. Then you loose a bit of carbs when the water is drained off.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 14:33   #2764
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Interesting. I have never heard of Banana stems as food. I think (purely my assumption) a high percentage of carbs could be in Fiber form?.
Yes, the banana stem (the thinner, raw/softer ones) is very much used in South Indian Tamil Nadu/Kerala cuisine. Both Poriyal (dry vegetable side dish) and curries are made with it, try googling recipes
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 15:12   #2765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No idea about its nutritional value or content. But by experience, I can assure you that banana stem is an excellent energizer and digestive. I have often mixed it with a little buttermilk in the juicer and it has kept me going for a long while. It is extensively used in our local cuisine.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 15:20   #2766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think (purely my assumption) a high percentage of carbs could be in Fiber form?

Regarding curd. It does have carbohydrates from milk.
I too suspect it may have the same amount of carb as a banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Both Poriyal (dry vegetable side dish) and curries are made with it, try googling recipes
Raw tender ones can go in to a salad and is very healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I can assure you that banana stem is an excellent energizer and digestive.
It was part of my daily diet and would like to continue for the above reason.
gadadhar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 15:32   #2767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Yes, the banana stem (the thinner, raw/softer ones) is very much used in South Indian Tamil Nadu/Kerala cuisine. Both Poriyal (dry vegetable side dish) and curries are made with it, try googling recipes
I am embarrassed that I didn't know about this despite being a Malayalee. My wife on the other hand seems to be a fan. So if I get hold of some in near future, it will be made at home

Quote:
I too suspect it may have the same amount of carb as a banana.

Yes. But I do suspect a higher percentage of the carbohydrate content to be in Fiber form. So depending on what you follow, Fiber is still ok as it passes off undigested.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 16:10   #2768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am embarrassed that I didn't know about this despite being a Malayalee. My wife on the other hand seems to be a fan. So if I get hold of some in near future, it will be made at home
Maybe know by the Malayalam name? Vazhapindi is quite popular in Kerala
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 17:54   #2769
Team-BHP Support

By the way both Banana Stem and the flower are great delicacies. And not to mention the fiber part!
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 18:41   #2770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the way both Banana Stem and the flower are great delicacies. And not to mention the fiber part!
only pain is to clean up the flower before cooking. It is a real pain.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:08   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Motivated by dkaile, my itch to show off makes me do this post. After all Vanity is still my favorite sin
You are a beast man! Just wow! What a perseverance and grit! I just cant imagine how you feel when all the girls drool at you.
doxinboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:33   #2772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
You are a beast man! Just wow! What a perseverance and grit! I just cant imagine how you feel when all the girls drool at you.
Thanks Man, I would certainly like that, if it happens
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 10:30   #2773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
The biggest differentiator for me though is my sleeping quarters. I have had a back pain everyday for the last 15 years. My mattress reached its end of life exactly when the lock down started and mattress did not make the "essential items" cut. So in desperation I started sleeping on the floor. In 2 weeks I had 0 backpain and I literally jump up in the morning as opposed to crawling out of bed and falling on all fours because my spine would lock up. Thank God for small mercies. Had there not been a lock down I don't know how much money I would have wasted trying to find the right mattress or how much pain I would have had to endure.
Hi

Can you pls shed some light on this? I too have bit of a back and lower back pain. I do yoga regularly but the pain is there most of the times in the morning.

What do you use instead of the mattress? Do you use the traditional mattress which is stuffed just with cotton or you use something else?

Your insights will be helpful. Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 11:00   #2774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
What do you use instead of the mattress? Do you use the traditional mattress which is stuffed just with cotton or you use something else?
I use the 8mm thick yoga mat you get from Decathlon. From what I have read you don't have to directly move from current mattress to a yoga or straw mat but you can ease yourself into it by taking short naps during the day on a mat. I was just lucky to be able move from 12inch mattress to an 8mm yoga mat literally overnight. But this I can tell.. There is no going back for me anymore I'm a convert for life.
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 22:10   #2775
BHPian

Hello everyone. Great to see some of the amazing transformations at the Team-Bhp.

Can you please recommend some good Free IF app for iOS !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks