Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 5th October 2020, 20:29   #2821

Default Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Anyone knows any sugar free drink concentrates available in India? I am basically looking for a Rasna like thing (either liquid or powder concentrate) but 0 zero sugar. It can be unsweetened or sweetened with sacharin, aspartame, sucralose or stevia.

Not looking for ice tea/green tea kind of stuff.
Have a look at pre-workouts, I have first hand experience of Cellucor C-4, Grenade Caliber, Muscleblaze etc. I will recommend Cellucor C-4.

Basically, these pre workouts contain, Caffeine, Energy blend, artificial sweeteners and other Vitamins and minerals. The only content to watch out for is Creatinine- if its mentioned on the label, recommend you to drink plenty of water.

I am a regular gym goer and is quite used to these as my pre-workout drink. PLUS I take them when on long drives just to supplement the energy levels.

Note- 1. I refrain from taking these drinks on rest days.
2. Read label and contents if its suitable for you before consuming.
Old 8th October 2020, 13:36   #2822
BHPian

My 2nd post on unplanned weight loss during COVID. It happened in 45 days and i did not realize that i was loosing amazing weight though had idea that i was loosing some weight

On reaching office was pleasantly surprised to find me tipping 95 to 96 kgs compared to about 118 kg in Feb / March

Only schedule was eating 2 times only but in big volumes - at 11.30 am and 6 to 6.30 pm - also i was eating only vegetables with upma about 2 plate loads and vegs with dalia or broken wheat khichdi again 2 plate loads

did not consume tea in this period.

Thats it
dipak1406 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 16:29   #2823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipak1406 View Post
On reaching office was pleasantly surprised to find me tipping 95 to 96 kgs compared to about 118 kg in Feb / March

Only schedule was eating 2 times only but in big volumes - at 11.30 am and 6 to 6.30 pm - also i was eating only vegetables with upma about 2 plate loads and vegs with dalia or broken wheat khichdi again 2 plate loads
Congratulations on the fantastic transformation. You have proved how effective just doing intermittent fasting can be.

My suggestion, make this your lifestyle and you will get immense health benefits and at the same time maintain the weight.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:01   #2824

Hi BHPians,
Interesting thread and very informative. I will share my personal experience. 2020 January onwards I started my weight loss journey from 91 kg I managed to achieve in October have cut almost 21 kg now I am in 70 to 71 kg range active with in 10month with proper diet and workout. First picture before jan2020 rest two recently took
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-6b76ff8d30eb41ceba10585341e4b893.jpeg  

The Weight Loss Thread-d7a7370cf706474e97e4724965e6dcef.jpeg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 9th October 2020 at 05:10. Reason: Picture removed as it was reported by members. Thanks.
abnormalspirit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 14:40   #2825
Senior - BHPian

Default My fitness journey!

I never though I will ever post anything on this thread. But then, there is a good reason to do so - here it is:

The Weight Loss Thread-compare.jpg

Anyone who has seen my ownership thread, you must have come across chubby me from those pictures. Owing to busy schedule and this newfound love, I have slowed down posting updates there. So I resume my activity from here!

From being a 95kg obese 40+ year old to be able to finish my first ever half marathon running distance in just little above 2 hours:

The Weight Loss Thread-img_0167.jpg

And if you ask me what exactly I did to achieve this? I would say, I just went back to basics. The life has to be 70% diet and 70% diet! And a married man should never resist to what wife says - just follow her instructions. Its the key to happiness - literally!

Nov 2019 - I joined a running club (Jayanagar Jaguars) for their Winter Training Season (WTS). The hope was to get myself out with some buddies and have some fitness regime. My good friend and neighbour Suhas got me into this. Little I knew this would serve as trigger for things to change for good. I wasn't very active on first season, neither I was doing this seriously. I did not even run for the race events then. Fast forward, Mar 2020, I reluctantly signed up for their net program - TWTK - ten weeks to ten KMs - purely intended to make us ready for Bangalore TCS10K event. And then pandemic struck!

I was restricted to WFH, all my drive thrills were taken away from me. And in return, I had started eating home food, sleeping on time and spending some good quality time exercising with this program. One day in April first week, I was doing my usual tortoise run in apartment and my 7 year old son came down to run with me. It was a great moment of awakening. He kept me motivating to make more and more rounds - I finished my first 10K kms run that day in around 79 minutes. It felt like oscar to me. That day I checked my weight after almost 30 days - I was hovering at 87kgs! 95 to 87 in about 5 months - I can't explain how it feels! I treated myself with brand new Nike shoes that week.

And my wife took that as real trigger to keep on track - ensure all my nutrition is taken care, I don't loose sight of my diet even for a single moment. Day after day, week after week and month after month even today - she is 70% reason what I am today for everything I have today.

Unfortunately TCS10K got cancelled but we did a virtual run to conclude the season - The JJs regime helped me get to fitter me - I finished 10K in 63 minutes this time! They had given me workouts to do from home even when we had lockdown - I could do those workouts from my apt itself. By the end of July I was 81 Kgs! This became obsessive and inspiring! I signed up for 21.1Km HF distance with JJs! On Oct 3, completed the season after 16 weeks of non-stop training. And now I am 73 kgs stable!

I can go on and on about every moment that I have cherished in this journey but thought of just noting few important point that serves guidance to aspiring folks:
  • Stick to basics - the food that you are grown up eating, the regime you followed from your childhood.
  • 70% is your diet and 30% is your exercise. Stick to it.
  • Everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you - so spend time in figuring out what's appropriate for you and your body.
  • Unless you commit yourself to this and you setup your support system - friends, family and closed ones join you in this journey, this wont be success.
  • An injury free fitness regime is very important - pay attention to every niggle. Don't get scared but talk to right folks to understand whats right or wrong.
  • I have tried loosing weight earlier too and failed miserably. I could loose earlier weight much faster. The later part is tougher. Even more tougher is to stay to the new "low" you love to be in.
  • The work plays an important role in all these things - the discipline you want to maintain should be supported by your work. There will always be stress and pressure and trouble - but a good and healthy routine should help. When learnt about my fitness pursuit, my team went out of the way to cut me some slack for those late night calls and early morning time when I ran/ exercised.
Oh by the way, this too is costly passion - you need to give away all your old wardrobe and renew it - and this you will never regret

The Weight Loss Thread-img_0165.jpg

Oh and by the way, would you not love to see your friendly neighbour stalking you on or drooling over your pictures on social media or those plum morning walker look at you with jealousy? You enjoy the kick and also serve them with motivation!

Life is fun!

Last edited by abirnale : 12th October 2020 at 15:04. Reason: Typo
abirnale is offline   (114) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:07   #2826
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My fitness journey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Life is fun!
Impressive .

Having gone through the journey myself, I concur with each of your words and can understand the whole gamut of your emotions.

As you very rightly said, it is easier to lose weight, but maintaining it is the tougher and trickier part. What, How, How much and When you eat primarily decides how much you weigh. This is specially true for folks whose metabolism rate is on the lower side.

With the benefit of hindsight, one realises that the chubby cheeks and curvy bellies are the results of indiscrete eating as well as hours of couch potatoing over the years.

Losing weight aside, your half marathon deserves a thumbs up. Hope the distance would double up pretty soon.

As for your two photographs, I can only say:owner's pride - neighbor's envy.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:25   #2827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can go on and on about every moment that I have cherished in this journey but thought of just noting few important point that serves guidance to aspiring folks:
Life is fun!
Journey has just begun! This ride is like shark swimming in the sea endlessly! If it does not it drowns.

But well begun is half done ! So definitely impressive indeed. Another aspect to note, is while you train, you will also realise soon, we dont have the luxury of having all the focus to ourselves. There is family, professional commitments etc.

So trick is how you juggle this well and after a few hits and misses, find out what works for you ! And that should lead to your global minima. Perfect balance of both health and fitness.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 19:55   #2828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I never though I will ever post anything on this thread. But then, there is a good reason to do so - here it is:
Wow. What a transformation! Congratulations on the fantastic transformation

And that is an awesome pace for a first time half marathon!

Keep going in your fitness journey and keep inspiring many!
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2020, 17:39   #2829
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Interesting thread here!

My age is 22 and my height is around 5'7-5'8.Before lockdown,my weight used to be at 85-86 Kgs and since the lockdown had happened,I had lost weight of around 10-11 Kgs by being on diet most of the time.Before lockdown,I used to eat outside almost everyday,but,thanks to Covid and lockdown,I had stopped eating out daily,which resulted me in losing more weight.Presently,I weigh at 75 Kgs and trying to reduce another 5-10 Kgs soon.

Since last 3 months,I've started using Protein powder from Herballife and this also helped me in losing more weight with some workout.I sometimes skip breakfast and have lunch directly but I skip the dinner too whenever I'm not in a mood to eat or if I have heavy lunch.

But,on every Sunday,I always have either heavy breakfast and skip the lunch or have heavy lunch,after which I skip having dinner.
car_guy1998 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 13:58   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipak1406 View Post
My 2nd post on unplanned weight loss during COVID. It happened in 45 days and i did not realize that i was loosing amazing weight though had idea that i was loosing some weight

Thats it
On similar lines, I have gone from 78 to 68 kgs since the start of lockdown
Following changes happened which contributed to the reduction:
  • More fruits - I now religiously eat alteast 2 fruits a day.Number of mangoes this summer(1 or 2 a day) will easily exceed the number I have consumed in my entire lifetime.
  • Moms cooking- For the first time in 17 years, I was exclusively eating homecooked food. Every meal having its share of mom/wifes magic. It seems to have made my metabolism smarter.
  • No eating out or outside food- What started out as a consequence of the lockdown became an habit. Processed foods were also stopped sometime in June. I no longer eat any sweets from shops, biscuits, namkeen, ice cream, cake. I had my last biscuits sometime in Aug. Surprisingly my craving for the same have disappeared due to point 1.
  • (No)Exercise- I credit this thread for getting rid of the notion that one needs to exercise for weight loss. I have only done breathing exercises and neck stretches for the entire duration.
  • Sugar- I made sweets at home every week with loads of sugar and binged on them. Spoon a day in coffee.
  • Carbs/Fat- I ate what my mom/wife prepared and all the carbs/fat which came with it.
What I feel good about- Reversing the trend and wearing pants purchased during my marriage 6 years back.
sukarsan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:11   #2831
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukarsan View Post
On similar lines, I have gone from 78 to 68 kgs since the start of lockdown
Following changes happened which contributed to the reduction:
  • More fruits - I now religiously eat alteast 2 fruits a day.Number of mangoes this summer(1 or 2 a day) will easily exceed the number I have consumed in my entire lifetime.
  • Moms cooking- For the first time in 17 years, I was exclusively eating homecooked food. Every meal having its share of mom/wifes magic. It seems to have made my metabolism smarter.
  • No eating out or outside food- What started out as a consequence of the lockdown became an habit. Processed foods were also stopped sometime in June. I no longer eat any sweets from shops, biscuits, namkeen, ice cream, cake. I had my last biscuits sometime in Aug. Surprisingly my craving for the same have disappeared due to point 1.
  • (No)Exercise- I credit this thread for getting rid of the notion that one needs to exercise for weight loss. I have only done breathing exercises and neck stretches for the entire duration.
  • Sugar- I made sweets at home every week with loads of sugar and binged on them. Spoon a day in coffee.
  • Carbs/Fat- I ate what my mom/wife prepared and all the carbs/fat which came with it.
What I feel good about- Reversing the trend and wearing pants purchased during my marriage 6 years back.
Congratulations on your weight loss. Wishing you all the best to maintain this. Just for understanding your metabolism, can you share your age?

You Sir, have a blessed genetic code If this is the diet that resulted in 10 kilos weight loss, you are blessed indeed! For this diet, I would have put on at least 15 kilos in 6 months!
graaja is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 14:23   #2832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukarsan View Post
(No)Exercise- I credit this thread for getting rid of the notion that one needs to exercise for weight loss. I have only done breathing exercises and neck stretches for the entire duration.[*] Sugar- I made sweets at home every week with loads of sugar and binged on them. Spoon a day in coffee.
10 kgs is no mean feat, congratulations!

Although it might be body specific, exercising a little - at least 30 minutes a day would help burn off those unwanted calories. If you are physically active throughout the day, you can of course skip this.

Sugar is best avoided; or at best consumed in moderate proportions. Avoiding it would help not just with weight loss, but in maintaining a healthy body too.

Disclaimer:Speaking from experience and not based on or backed by scientific evidence.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 18:15   #2833
BHPian

Quote:
Life is fun!
Such an inspiring journey. Congratulations to you and other folks who have done such incredible weight loss during the lockdown period !
With each such story, I come one step closer to my tipping point of getting myself into doing something similar. Hopefully that will happen soon.
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:23   #2834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Congratulations on your weight loss. Wishing you all the best to maintain this. Just for understanding your metabolism, can you share your age?

You Sir, have a blessed genetic code If this is the diet that resulted in 10 kilos weight loss, you are blessed indeed! For this diet, I would have put on at least 15 kilos in 6 months!
I doubt it! Its actually the body reacting to what it was used to for the initial 18-20 years. Most of us here would have stayed with our parents till we moved out for higher education.

So yes it is genetic in the sense that his body is used to this sort of nutrition which is mostly local food/food prepared by mother/grand mother etc. His body is conditioned to eat this. We have Punjabis/Gujrati's etc who are used to a lot of dairy products unlike say people from north east/JK whose bodies are used to different types of food. Mostly human bodies are genetically coded to react to certain kinds of food.

As soon as we start changing our food habits (mostly bad) is when our body starts changing not in a very healthy way. Our young bodies usually can take this abuse till late 30s and then again we fall back to our old eating habits mostly by our bodies.

The reason people who exercise are fitter is that they also eat good mostly. As experts say bodies are 80% diet and 20% exercise. Try exercise with bad diet habits and mostly one would never achieve optimum health.

Here his weight loss was aided by the fact that he was home all the time eating freshly made food which the body has been trained to use optimally since his birth.

Last edited by nibedk : 26th October 2020 at 19:26. Reason: Correction and addition
Old 11th November 2020, 22:45   #2835
BHPian

Hello everyone, pretty amazed to see a thread to whatever topic I search here, and not just automobiles.

I'm 25 years of age, 5"10 tall and 112 kilos heavy. I'm hoping to seriously start my fitness journey with commitment this time, and have enrolled for a gym + cardio combination; did not opt for a personal trainer right now as I have enrolled and wasted thousands of bucks on previous attempts.

I have two questions at this stage:

1) I don't want to be buffed up at the end of a successful transformation, I want to be lean/stout. Based on this, what should be my workout regime? I believe the first three four months are crucial for this to achieve?

As things stand, I believe I'll spending some days of the week cycling around the city (to start with) with being regular to the gym and cardio exercises.

With a goal of being stout, what should be my weight targets and repetitions? I do not believe the trainers here have such astute knowledge, and I cannot afford to enroll for a high class gym right now. So until then, Google and forums like these are my go-to.

2) I want to avoid loose skin by all means. Is it a realistic expectation? What do I need to do for it?

People who have been through similar journey, and others, looking forward to your guidance! Thanks in anticipation

Most Viewed