Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 23:54   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Many people recommend, 5-6 smaller meals a day - but in practicality how does it work? It's very difficult for anyone working, studying etc.
5-6 meals generally means 3 square meals and 2-3 healthy snacks in between

Quote:
Btw, one of the best workout exercises for losing weight is skipping! Works quite well for me.
Skipping sadly is not recommended for grossly overweight people as it can cause joint pain/injury. low impact cardio that can be done for much longer periods is far safer and effective
Old 7th November 2009, 00:20   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
5-6 meals generally means 3 square meals and 2-3 healthy snacks in between

Skipping sadly is not recommended for grossly overweight people as it can cause joint pain/injury. low impact cardio that can be done for much longer periods is far safer and effective
Thanks for the info dude - really helpful
Old 7th November 2009, 00:27   #33
BHPian

Hey guys, try this.. If you follow this well there is a 100% result. I have tried it and even many Directors and Managers in my company have tried this and they have really gone slim. This was forwarded by one of my X manager.

General Motors: Weight Loss Diet Program

The following diet and health program was developed for employees and dependents of General Motors, Inc. and is intended for their exclusive use. This program was developed in conjunction with a grant from U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration. It was field tested at the Johns Hopkins Research Centre and was approved for distribution by the Board of Directors, General Motors Corp. at a general meeting on August 15, 1985. General Motors Corp. wholly endorses this program and is making it available to all employees and families. This program will be available at all General Motors Food Service Facilities. It is management's intention to facilitate a wellness and fitness program for everyone.

This program is designed for a target weight loss of 10-17 lbs per week. It will also improve your attitudes and emotions because of its cleansing systematic effects.

The effectiveness of this seven day plan is that the food eaten burn more calories than they give to the body in caloric value.

This plan can be used as often as you like without any fear of complications. It is designed to flush your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well being. After seven days you will begin to feel lighter because you will be lighter by at least 10 lbs. You will have an abundance of energy and an improved disposition.

During the first seven days you must abstain from all alcohol
You must drink 10 glasses of water each day

Day One All fruits except bananas. Your first day will consist of all the fruits you want. It is strongly suggested that you consume lots of melons the first day. Especially watermelon and a loupe. If you limit your fruit consumption to melons, your chances of losing three lbs. on first day are very good.

Day Two All vegetables. You are encouraged to eat until you are stuffed with all the raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. There is no limit on the amount or type. For your complex carbohydrate, you will start day two with a large baked potato for breakfast. You may top the potato with one pat of butter.

Day Three A mixture of fruits and vegetables of your choice. Any amount, any quantity. No bananas yet. No potatoes today.

Day Four Bananas and milk. Today you will eat as many as eight bananas and drink three glasses of milk. This will be combined with the special soup which may be eaten in limited quantities.

Day Five Today is feast day. You will eat beef and tomatoes. Eat two 10 oz. portions of lean beef. Hamburger is OK. Combine this with six whole tomatoes. On day five you must increase your water intake by one quart. This is to cleanse your system of the uric acid you will be producing.

Day Six Beef and vegetables. Today you may eat an unlimited amount of beef and vegetables. Eat to your hearts content.

Day Seven Today your food intake will consist of brown rice, fruit juices and all the vegetables you care to consume.

Tomorrow morning you will be 10-17 lbs. lighter than one week ago. If you desire further weight loss, repeat the program again. You may repeat this program as often as you like, however, it is suggested that you are allowed two glasses of white wine in addition to the instructions on the program. You may substitute champagne for white wine. Under no circumstances are you to drink any other alcoholic beverages with the exception of beer which is allowed. Any liquor (bourbon, vodka, rum) is forbidden. Cream drinks are especially forbidden. You may have an occasional cordial such as crème de menthe or schnapps, but you must always limit yourself to two drinks. If you wine, drink only wine that day. If you have beer, drink only beer that day, etc. Alcohol adds empty calories to your diet. However, after the first week it will help your digestion and settle your stomach.

I am now physically getting prepared to drive a 15 second car in sometime.
Old 7th November 2009, 09:51   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Works every time, but is cumbersome to follow for a week. Unfortunately, once off it the weight comes back within 2 weeks. The diet can be repeated ad infinitum with a break of 3 days in between each session, but after a few repeats the monotony of the diet gets to you. AND keep a close watch on your blood pressure when you do the GM diet.

There are other diets too, like the Atkins diet (The Atkins Diet Weight Loss Program: Diets - Weight Loss - Nutrition), the Pritikin diet, Herbalife weight loss supplements, Dr. Shikha Sharma's diet plan etc. - but at the end of the day, weight loss and weight stabilization is achieved by the balance between two factors:
  1. Input - the calories that go in.
  2. Output - the calories that can be burnt off.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 7th November 2009 at 09:53.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2009, 13:17   #35
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Awesome thread guys!

I am 6" and i used to weigh about 118-20kgs ... Now after strict diet routine and daily cardio i am 92Kgs! However lately, some unavoidable eat outs with friends has resulted in an increase and i'm 96Kgs now! My aim is to reach 80-85kgs and maintain it.

I didn't see anyone mention Green Tea! I think its very helpful, every morning i have green tea + honey.
Old 7th November 2009, 14:33   #36
Senior - BHPian

Someone try this method (looks easy but not that easy to follow)

-As soon as you get up (hope 6/6.30AM?), drink one litre water (in empty
stomech). The water should not be very cold or very hot (suggest
take a bottle of water from the fridge previous night before you go
to bed and drink same in the morning).

-After 10 minutes, you can have one cup of black tea (no milk) - this is
your bed tea. Then you do your normal routine work -read news paper,
have bath etc.

-Eat full break-fast (upto maximum) - if you are a habitual tea drinker, go
for another cup of black tea. Breakfast - prefer avoid any non-veg items
including eggs and also cheese,butter,jam etc.

-Before lunch, only drink water and nothing else to eat.

-At 1 pm or 1.30pm (make sure your eating habits at a select time.
irregular eatings also cause obesity. Make it a point to eat more fish
items (if you are non-veg) than meat items. Egg also okay but no
regular intake. Avoid all kind of fried items. As far as you can avoid
oily items ,it will good for your body and heart. LUNCH INTAKE SHOULD
BE LESS THAN BREAKFAST QUANTITY.

-At 4PM (3.30/4.30pmt no problem)- have a cup of black tea- no snacks
please.

-Depends on what time you reach home, maintain the night food timing.
For example, those who can reach home by 7 PM, try to take dinner
(only half stomach) by 8 PM. If needed can take one or two small
bananas. Drink more water if you feel hungry. after 2hours,if possible
walk for 30 minutes -relax 10minutes and then go to sleep.(the result
is that when you go to sleep your stomach will be almost empty !).

Continue this. you can make it as a regular habit - you will have healthy
living. This is naturopathical way of dieting without any expense. NO smoking please. Anyone interested, try this for 15 days and see if any change. Incase if you feel difficult to drink one litre water altogether, first drink couple of glasses and rapidly increase intake (you can even drink more than 1 litre - 2 litre is very best, but then early office goers will have problem of look out for toilet till the water comes out of your body.
(Drink water first in the morning,clean your system).

AVOID FAST FOOD AND ROADSIDE STALLS/ EATERIES.

Thanks
Old 7th November 2009, 15:01   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
I am 6" and i used to weigh about 118-20kgs...i'm 96Kgs now!
Wow, I guess you have a serious problem. Might do well to visit this site.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 7th November 2009 at 15:03. Reason: Disclaimer: Just a joke. No offence meant.
Old 7th November 2009, 16:28   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post

I am sure he meant 6'
Old 7th November 2009, 21:03   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Here's my phat story:

I was a 102 kgs. My family doc advised a very simple food regulation. Eat as much as you want. Make sure your oil intake does not exceed 2-3 teaspoons a day. Same for sugar intake. At first it seemed impossible, but we changed our complete dietary lifestyle at home. For almost 6 months, we didn't eat any outside food. No biscuits and the sort even. I only coupled it with walks in the evening with my dad, 45 mins-1 hr a day.

I went down to 86 kgs and plateaued. I thought maybe I was lacking exercise, so I joined a gym. Within a couple of months I went down to 83 kgs. It was great, I went to XL from XXL. But story has stagnated since. I haven't loss any more weight in the gym. I find the gym to be quite a waste in this respect. I only go, so I get some exercise everyday. I was atleast maintaining my weight. My last couple of months, I was home for some exams, so I promptly put on 5 kgs. Diwali didn't help. And I have cousins that love food. Can't say I don't.

I need to to hit the downslope soon. I don't know how though. My regular meals at home haven't really changed. Only excess was the outside food, which I am going to stop. Any other suggestions?
@ported head: I know what you mean by hitting a plateau. Please understand that weight loss will come only when your gym is accompanied by a good diet (see my earlier post on this).

It's a good thing to have cut down oil and sugar at home, and even avoiding outside food for a few months. But that's not enough to lose weight. I think the reason you may have stopped losing weight is because of your diet. Your food intake in calories should be LESS than the calories you burn. And plus, you need to keep your metabolism going. So you should eat every 2-3 hours. And I'm not so sure about eating as much as you want. You should fill your stomach, for sure, but you have to make sure it's the right food at the right time.

Try tweaking your diet a bit, and keep the gym going. And hey, if you think gym is not helping you, it won't! So either be positive about gym when you go for it, or take up another exercise. Basically, the positivity is a MUST.

And hey, at home everyone will want to stuff you with food, which is a good thing, but space it out throughout the day. Don't eat everything possible at one go.

Quote:
Many people recommend, 5-6 smaller meals a day - but in practicality how does it work? It's very difficult for anyone working, studying etc.
Yes, anekho, it works. It does seem difficult initially, but with a little bit of hard work, some out of the box thinking and home support, it's quite practical. I work full-time, and I manage to make it work. Some ideas: plan the dabbas/ snacks/ food you're going to carry next day and prepare for it. You will need to carry food with you to office/ college, but it's worth it. Also figure out if there's some place near your office/ college where you can order somewhat healthy stuff, like idli, dosa, sandwich etc. Check out your meetings/ lecture schedule in advance, and accordingly decide when you should eat your meal, before or after. The key is to plan well! Good luck!
Old 8th November 2009, 00:47   #40
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
ooooooops !!

Somehow i feel that DIET Control plays the MAJOR part in loosing weight. Exercising and gyming are important but secondary.

Last edited by aZa : 8th November 2009 at 00:49.
Old 8th November 2009, 01:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow i feel that DIET Control plays the MAJOR part in loosing weight. Exercising and gyming are important but secondary.
Both are equally important.
Let me tell you guys my personal experience.

Since childhood I was always chubby. After standard 12, I reached almost 100kg. (all studies no play,you see ) After that, I went to engineering college and was ridiculed a lot for my size. I have a tendency to put on weight so I gain weight even if I indulge a bit in food.

Then I decided to finally do something about it. Luckily there is one sport that I absolutely love. Swimming. It turns out to be one of the best to get you in shape. Started with 40 mins of swim session. I used to get tired in just 5-10 minutes when I started. but slowly slowly stamina built up and I could do almost 1 hr free style non stop at the end of 2nd year engineering.

Still weight was about 85kg. (Loss of 15kg in 2 yrs). I am not too tall (5' 8") so my aim was to get to around 70kg. Continued with swimming but also started weight training side by side. Mind you I wasnt into diet mode yet. Eating regular food as I used to eat from childhood.

Then I sort of hit a plateau, weight was stable and wasnt moving. Even with weight training and 1 hr of free style everyday. Then I started to diet a bit. Started with just fruits and yogurt at night. (instead of regular chapati and sabzi and daal-rice). Completely stopped snack-food (like biscuits, chevda with tea etc) I just used to have 3 meals a day for 2 years
1. Breakfast : bowl of corn flakes/poha/sandwich and a fruit with milk (coffee)
2. Lunch : Roti(2)-sabzi OR daal-rice (very rarely both)
3. Dinner : fruits and yogurt or salad.

Finally after a strict regime of diet and exercise got to70kg by the end of engineering.
Now that I am in US most of the times, and busy in work, dont get enough time to exercise. Also, I am not that cautious about food. So have gone back to 75kgs. But now I am much more confident about losing the weight than I was earlier.

So to sum up, to lose weight you need 3 things
1. Determination/will to lose weight
2. Diet (Breakfast is the MOST important meal of the day. Skimp on dinner but NEVER breakfast)
3. Exercise (needed to keep body from "slagging" after fat loss)

HTH

Last edited by abhijitaparadh : 8th November 2009 at 01:10.
Old 8th November 2009, 01:15   #42
BHPian

I agree 100%. The only way to truly loose weight and keep in Off is to monitor daily calorie intake. Now this is only half the battle. The war will only be won if like a large block V8,..we ensure we are more muscle than fat (yeah easier said than done). The biggest benifit of doning more muscle is the basic metabolic rate (BMR) which controls how much energy you burn even at idle (resting). Cardio is okay to stay healthy and important too (check out Workout Body, Workout Routine, Nutrition Information | BodyRock.tv ) however building resistance training to your overall regime is crucial to win. For people who are averse to lifting weights. Start with ankle weightsand aerobic dumbels while walking (available at your nearest reebok store).
Old 8th November 2009, 18:33   #43
Team-BHP Support

Can you guys share software (pref freeware) details that we can use from our mobile phones (PDA's) to monitor calorie intake.

With support for Indian foods in it.
Old 9th November 2009, 00:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
|
|
|
I am now physically getting prepared to drive a 15 second car in sometime.
I am soooo going to try this. I really hope this works. Coz I have just crossed 90 I think!!

Last edited by Eddy : 9th November 2009 at 00:34. Reason: Please do not quote the entire post. Hampers readability. Thanks
Old 9th November 2009, 00:35   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I'm like 100kg. Have decided to lose weight Have decided to do the following. Please let me know whether this could work.

Diet:
Morning: Corn Flakes/Oats etc (1 serving size)
Afternoon: 1 Subway Veggie Delite without Cheese 6-inch (I'm currently in the US atleast for 6 more months)
Evening: Corn Flakes/Oats etc (1 serving size)
Night: Usual Desi stuff (Can't help because I'm staying with roommates who have tendancy to use more oil/ghee)

Exercise:
30-45 min in gym on treadmill or cross trainer 4-5 days a week (to begin with)

Please let me know if I can make any effective modifications

Thanks

Last edited by bblost : 29th December 2009 at 15:01. Reason: reference to Alcohol removed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks