Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 00:48   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I am soooo going to try this. I really hope this works. Coz I have just crossed 90 I think!!
I had tried this before and lost around 5.5 kgs in a week. I tried the diet again after a break of 4 days, but there was no weight loss.The down side was that I felt slightly weak and the craving for the regular food increased. Within a month I gained back my weight.
Old 9th November 2009, 00:57   #47

Let me give it a shot atleast. I desperately need to lose weight, and im not joining a gym, coz I know Im not going to go. I soooo wish I had someone to play badminton with me, but everyone seems so busy with "other" work nowadays. Baddi is a brilliant workout btw.
Old 9th November 2009, 10:46   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post

Diet:
Morning: Corn Flakes/Oats etc (1 serving size)
Afternoon: 1 Subway Veggie Delite without Cheese 6-inch (I'm currently in the US atleast for 6 more months)
Evening: Corn Flakes/Oats etc (1 serving size)
Night: Usual Desi stuff (Can't help because I'm staying with roommates who have tendancy to use more oil/ghee)

Thanks
Good Morning my fellow centurion.
I would avoid corn flakes, instead try muesli.
And do not add sugar to sweeten any of the breakfast cereals.
If needed use honey.
But not the packaged Dabur/ Lion stuff. They generally contain jaggery or dates syrup to improve sweetness.

For the Subway, ask for non fat sauces. Mayonnaise is as bad or worse than cheese.
Also choose the bread with care.

For your night, have the dinner early. So your body gets time to digest the same faster.
Include a small salad with care taken for the correct dressing. And also a good clear soup.
This will help get you a feeling a fullness faster and hence reduce eating the oily food.

Now if only I could follow all my advice.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:04   #49
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
my regimen

Hey BBLOST and others !!

What do you think of this?

I ve put on several Kilos over the last 2 years but am on a strict self-imposed regimen to keep fit and lose some of it asap!

Exercise Method:
Early morning walk with my dogs (about 1 km) + Bicycle ride to the gym (2 Km)
Gym routine includes stretching exercises to warm up a bit
Then Treadmill for 15-20 minutes fast walk.
Next some warm downs for the leg muscles to relax
Rowing Machine for 10-15 minutes
More bending and stretching exercises and sit-ups to work the abdomen etc.
Then warm downs and hop on the bicycle and go home - slightly uphill incline. (2Km)

Diet & Time:
0800-0810- Breakfast of Kelloggs OR Oats Porridge with Flax Seeds and Honey to sweeten a bit.
One egg + 2 Toasts (Brown whole wheat bread) - (most of which my dogs share)
1300- Simple Lunch of Spinach and Rice/ Curd and Rice + some veg. Topped with a Banana or two.
1700-1800 - a few small size brown bread sandwiches with a little butter and a bit of fruit jam just to keep the energy up!
2030-2100 - Clear or Thick Soup(Veg or Chicken based) + Carrots/Beans/Veg boiled and tossed in a little Olive Oil. (Mashed Potatoes 1 medium serving twice max thrice a week). 2 Squares of Bitter Dark Chocolate. Topped with a Banana or two.

Night: 2130-2200.
One more walk with the dogs after dinner to help digest the grub.
Im completely off alcohol at the moment - even though I may have only one or two drinks a week I still feel excellent that Im off the stuff completely - no urge even.

With this above diet I dont even feel suddenly terribly hungry. I am subject to evil cravings though, for Pizza and so on, but so far I ve succeeded in staving it off!

Weekends both Sat and Sun I dont GYM but I play 18 holes of golf and dont vary this diet except for breakfast at the club which is South Indian Veg. Also take a chukker on the bicycle in the evening on weekends and walk the dogs twice thrice when at home on weekends.

My trainer feels it will take 3-4 months of cardio and fat burn to lose off the extra kilos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Good Morning my fellow centurion.

Now if only I could follow all my advice.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th November 2009 at 12:06.
Old 9th November 2009, 12:17   #50
Team-BHP Support

I would quote your signature for this
> god helps those who help themselves...

You diet plans seems to be very good. I should try the same.

For variety I would suggest.
Replace some of the banana's with papaya, melons etc.
Use peanut butter instead of jam+butter.
Use brown rice instead of white rice.

Chicken breast (boiled with only pepper, garlic and salt) added to your boiled vegetables would be nice.

btw, you mention olive oil.
Which olive oil is this. Is it extra virgin or cooking oil.
Extra virgin is great as salad dressing.
But you get a different one for cooking.
Old 9th November 2009, 13:52   #51
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

ha!
peanut butter - good idea
i do eat other fruit like papaya etc
i dont like brown rice though. like only basmati because of the flavour but I eat very little rice in any case - small helpings only.
dont like boiled chicken slivers much but can add them to salad.
we use regular olive oil for cooking - not the extra virgin oil - thats only for dressing and for garlic / olive oil toast made in the OTG.
im about 10kg off the target right now and hopefully if I stick to this diligently I will burn it off in a while.
the whole project feels very good though I can tell you.

Quote:
I would quote your signature for this
> god helps those who help themselves...

You diet plans seems to be very good. I should try the same.

For variety I would suggest.
Replace some of the banana's with papaya, melons etc.
Use peanut butter instead of jam+butter.
Use brown rice instead of white rice.

Chicken breast (boiled with only pepper, garlic and salt) added to your boiled vegetables would be nice.

btw, you mention olive oil.
Which olive oil is this. Is it extra virgin or cooking oil.
Extra virgin is great as salad dressing.
But you get a different one for cooking.
Old 9th November 2009, 15:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

im kinda a big soft drink addict that's the reason why im overweight. Any views regarding diet colas etc?

Lol maybe we should have a TBHP weight loss run in your respective cities someday
Old 9th November 2009, 22:12   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
I had tried this before and lost around 5.5 kgs in a week. I tried the diet again after a break of 4 days, but there was no weight loss.The down side was that I felt slightly weak and the craving for the regular food increased. Within a month I gained back my weight.

You can’t go by rules, have some protein and Vitamin tablets which will increase your metabolism. Also have some Honey with warm water and lemon.
Old 10th November 2009, 10:43   #54
BHPian

Sept 08 : 95 kgs
Jan 09 : 80 kgs
Sept 09 : 78 Kgs

I decided to join the gym in send sept08. At the same time went on a diet with the following restrictions
1) Avoid rice. ( had rice for lunck only on weekends)
2) No meat for dinner ( meat once or twice a week)
3) Cut down on salt
4) Increased intake of fruits and salads
5) Avoided alchol for first 3 months

Daily visit to gy. Weights and Cardio on alternate days.

Basically discipline and determination where the key to the above .

I did not go for a personal trainer. Now I have been able to mainitain my weight for the last 1 year. Back to s asort of normal diet except for not taking rice on wekedays

Ramesh
Old 10th November 2009, 10:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Hi guys, I'm like 100kg. Have decided to lose weight Have decided to do the following. Please let me know whether this could work.

Diet:
Morning: Corn Flakes/Oats etc (1 serving size)
Afternoon: 1 Subway Veggie Delite without Cheese 6-inch (I'm currently in the US atleast for 6 more months)
Evening: Corn Flakes/Oats etc (1 serving size)
Night: Usual Desi stuff (Can't help because I'm staying with roommates who have tendancy to use more oil/ghee)

Exercise:
30-45 min in gym on treadmill or cross trainer 4-5 days a week (to begin with)

Please let me know if I can make any effective modifications

Thanks
Avoid cornflakes, Have oats

Increase intake of fruits, vegetables. Drink lots of water.
exercise minimum of 45 mts .
cut down on soda intake and fried foods
evening: have fruits, or salads
dinner
have rotis with dhall

Last edited by bblost : 29th December 2009 at 15:02. Reason: quoted post edited.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:06   #56
BHPian

No one solution for all!!

Varied opinions here, which is a sure sign that there is no ONE solution for all. It all differs from person to person depending on age, attitude, current health condition and of course family history.

I have lost weight drastically and then gained it back more than once and I kind of know for sure the reasons for that.

Short history: I used to over eat and eat lots of junk food, this in spite of me being a very picky eater. I do not eat much of red meat or seafood which pretty much leaves me with just chicken and vegetables as my main food item. With such a weird food habit I managed to gain 15-20Kgs in a matter of 6-7 months and stuck on to that for 5-6 years. This is because I was least bothered about loosing weight, my health or my appearance. When I turned 24, the scale was touching 83 and I felt sloppy with all my weight and was not happy each time I saw myself in the mirror when changing clothes with a fat body. I kicked off a weight reduction plan with no particular aim other than to loose weight; I had no goal like loose X kgs or anything of that sort.

During this time I reduced food intake (eg: 6 chappathis to 2 chappatis gradually) and stopped eating ice cream, butter and the sort of foods that contain lots of fat. I also did light exercise as and when time permitted me (eg: 50 push ups, 50 crunches or similar) and at the end of 8 months I had reduced 16Kgs down to 67Kgs. I went from 36 waist to 30 and even 28 on some pants/jeans.

With this reduction came criticism from family members that I was too thin and after listening to this I started eating more and more and gained a few Kg’s. Within 2years I had totally lost it and was eating without any control. I was gaining weight every day till I check my weight again in Jan 2008 when I was 86 Kg.

I tried my same plan as before to loose weight but it just didn’t work, as my food cravings were uncontrollable. I was eating right for breakfast and lunch but I totally lost it for dinners when I would stuff myself.

Fast forward to Jan 2009 and I was 2kgs more (88Kg), thats when I started reducing my intake and started to go to gym. Since then I have been on and off the gym (mainly due to vacations when I was in India) but I have managed to loose 10Kgs and now have a strict control over what and how much I eat.

The current situation is that I go to the gym (2miles or more on elliptical and assisted machines alternating between muscle groups; total workout ranging from 45 mins to 1 hr) at least 3 times a week (if possible 4) and eat normally on weekends (eg: briyani, ice creams) just controlled intake (less amount).

So what works for me needn’t work for another and it needn’t work for me again incase I put on weight. What I believe is that you need to get a mindset to loose weight, if you are not determined enough to loose weight eventually you will give up on your weight loss plan.
dr_know is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 12:19   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
With this reduction came criticism from family members that I was too thin and after listening to this I started eating more and more and gained a few Kg’s.
This mentality needs to change. We Indians never understand the concept of health and well being.
If you refuse an extra helping its taken that you do not like the food.
To eat till one can barely move is taken as good manners towards the hosts.

dr_know. Excellent post.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:
If you refuse an extra helping its taken that you do not like the food.
Its a two-way thing bblost, if you refuse for an extra helping, it is taken as you did not like the food and the minute you say "yes" for extra helping, you are damned.
Old 10th November 2009, 12:37   #59
BHPian

Hi All,
I weigh 115 Kgs and planning to reduce weight very seriously .
I am planning to take steps taken by close buddy who was 120 kgs and now is 105 kgs which he was able to reduce in the span of 4 months .
His diet includes only fat,carb free diet. He jogs for about 10kms every single day .His target is 99 kgs which he will acheive in a short span of time.
I am planning to do the same jog/brisk walk for about 10 kms evry day and be away from rice (which i eat a lot )for about 6-8 months and stick to Ragi mudde or Chappati in this duration and i am targetting 90 kgs.
Hope things work out

Last edited by GTO : 11th November 2009 at 14:26. Reason: Strictly no discussion of alcohol on Team-BHP please
Old 10th November 2009, 12:43   #60
BHPian

Craving is the enemy for the diet and weight reduction program. Somewhere I read that when you crave for a food then eat a tomato. I tried it and found it works.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks