Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2014, 22:00   #976
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

I am struggling hard for weight loss. Need a clarification from people who have knowledge about the below query:

What would be the ideal way to lose weight in a good pace. Is it better to start with low intensity exercise like walking for about 45 mins to 1 hour, then followed by cycling and work out on the machines or vice versa. Can some one explain in good detail.

Thanks in advance
Old 12th February 2014, 22:57   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

What would be the ideal way to lose weight in a good pace. Is it better to start with low intensity exercise like walking for about 45 mins to 1 hour, then followed by cycling and work out on the machines or vice versa. Can some one explain in good detail.

Thanks in advance
The simplest rule is to your reduce is food intake and eat healthy items. Calorie intake should be equal to the calories burnt per day.
Old 12th February 2014, 23:10   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
The simplest rule is to your reduce is food intake and eat healthy items. Calorie intake should be equal to the calories burnt per day.
that holds good for day to day intake vs. Calorie burnt. However i am talking about the excess deposit of fat stored.
Old 13th February 2014, 00:38   #979
BHPian

Quote:
that holds good for day to day intake vs. Calorie burnt. However i am talking about the excess deposit of fat stored.
Eat better food. When it comes to weight loss, the general split of diet:exercise is typically 80:20.

Cut out all white/refined/simple carbohydrates: bread, pasta, rice, sugar. (red/brown rice is okay maybe)
Eat lots of vegetables, and medium quantities of meat, fish, eggs, legumes.

Try not to use "low-fat" anything, fat is replaced with more carbs in most of those cases. However, you should continue to avoid trans-fats. More meat, vegetables, fats will keep you full (satiated) longer so you won't feel hungry by evening for that extra masala dosa or samosa (or biscuits or whatever unhealthy snacks that are popular and easily available).

For more details on why lowering such carbohydrates helps: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3894001

Once you're reaching your desired weight goals, you might want to consider concentrating on a bit of (body)weight training to "tone"/build up some muscles and add some bone density. At this stage, you can relax your restrictions or carb-intake in order to aid more muscle building.

Last edited by nareshov : 13th February 2014 at 00:41.
Old 13th February 2014, 01:01   #980
BHPian

Guys I Need Help. My situation is a bit complex though...

My height is 5ft 11. And weight is 90kg. My body type suggests weight that is between 80-83kgs.

Issue is, I have just got diagnosed with degenerated disc (2 in d lower spine) and I have been asked by my doctor to not stress my nerves on the back and leg because of it.

So yes, for next 6 months, No running and very less amount of walks to be done.

So all in all, in my situation (back pain and pain in legs, they are subsiding though), I have to also reduce 10kgs of body weight by only dieting.

What should I eat and not... I don't have much time to reduce and I have to maintain to be gained lean profile for life.

So share with me some simple diet that includes normal khana. My mom makes mix of punjabi and marathi food. I have fruits and chaas at my disposal. So suggest me some diet that is eash for my mom to work on, and for me to maintain and also lose 10kgs in next 3-4 months.

Help me. I need to lose 10kgs to avoid pressure on my spine, which as of now is in quite bad shape and needs my help.

Regards
Dinesh Malhotra
Old 13th February 2014, 07:11   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post

My height is 5ft 11. And weight is 90kg. My body type suggests weight that is between 80-83kgs.
I am about the same height and 3 prolapsed discs. Weight has yo-yoed between 88-105. I'm living a normal life, helping bring up a 2.5 year old monkey! (who always wants "godi"!!).

First, change your doctor once the immediate pain subsides. You need to strengthen the back muscles, not stop walking - could ancient hunters/farmers afford to do that? nonsense! Please do not take painkillers since they mask your body's signals.

I would suggest cycling - its a lovely low intensity (but expensive, 30k investment IMNSHO) way provided you can invest ~1 hour/day. Cycling gives weightloss benefits when the weekly hours go beyond 4-5 hours and you increase your speeds upto the level where it begins to get tiring (versus just pottering around at 18-19 kph).

YMMV of course.

Last edited by phamilyman : 13th February 2014 at 07:18.
Old 13th February 2014, 12:50   #982
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
I am struggling hard for weight loss.
The attached diet chart (pdf) should give you rough guideline. I have worked hard to develop it. It has both veg as well as non-veg options.

Eat 5-6 times a day and ideally you should lift weight and do cardio at least 3 times a week on alternate days.

@Dinesh - Sorry to read about your condition. See how 2100 cal goes for you. Till the time you are losing 1/2 kg every week it should be okey. Otherwise there are other protocols such as calorie cycling and carb cycling available.

Follow the diet for minimum 1 month to see results.

Try it, it should work. Do give me your feedback.

Best wishes for your fast recovery.

Log.xlsx

Last edited by anandjha : 13th February 2014 at 13:00.
Old 22nd February 2014, 06:03   #983
Senior - BHPian

What are the thoughts about intermittent fasting? Does some one have a first hand experience? I am planning to start a 16/8 fast or 24 hour fast next week.
Old 25th February 2014, 18:06   #984
BHPian

One of my friend did water fasting for 3 days and lost 10kgs.

http://www.howtofast.net/water-fasting.html
http://www.gaianstudies.org/articles4.htm

Last edited by brraj : 25th February 2014 at 18:10.
Old 25th February 2014, 23:00   #985
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I'm planning to invest in a mechanised treadmill for home use and need your advice
The objective is to use it for both brisk walking ( serve as cardio ) and jogging for some amount of weight loss ( have some flab around the waist to get rid off. Otherwise I'm 66kgs and 175cms ). It will be used by my wife and my son as well.

Which is a good recommended brand, model ? My budget is limited to 15-20k now. Based on a brief internet search I did, I guess I can only get a used machine for this budget. Pls advice the do's and don't's if I were to go for such an option

Thanks
Old 26th February 2014, 10:51   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Guys
I'm planning to invest in a mechanised treadmill for home use
My suggestion: please think about what type of cardio you want to do before investing in a treadmill or any other expensive equipment. Otherwise, it might very well end up remaining unused. For whatever reason, most people think of a treadmill when they decide to take up cardio. They don't consider other options such as elliptical machines or stationary bikes which are considerably cheaper, easier on the knees, occupy less space and perhaps more enjoyable, all while enabling an equally good workout.

For that matter, one can have a cardio program even without any equipment. Running up a staircase or outdoors are very good options. Even for those who prefer to exercise at home, one can get an excellent cardio workout through a combination of exercises such as burpees, bodyweight squats, jumping jacks, jumping lunges, skipping, etc. Such a combination of exercises also makes the workout more mentally engaging and enjoyable.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:36   #987
BHPian

Quote:

Issue is, I have just got diagnosed with degenerated disc (2 in d lower spine) and I have been asked by my doctor to not stress my nerves on the back and leg because of it.

So yes, for next 6 months, No running and very less amount of walks to be done.

So all in all, in my situation (back pain and pain in legs, they are subsiding though), I have to also reduce 10kgs of body weight by only dieting.

What should I eat and not... I don't have much time to reduce and I have to maintain to be gained lean profile for life.

So share with me some simple diet that includes normal khana. My mom makes mix of punjabi and marathi food. I have fruits and chaas at my disposal. So suggest me some diet that is eash for my mom to work on, and for me to maintain and also lose 10kgs in next 3-4 months.

Help me. I need to lose 10kgs to avoid pressure on my spine, which as of now is in quite bad shape and needs my help.

Regards
Dinesh Malhotra
I'd recommend you to study Paleo diet. I am sure it will help you.
Old 26th February 2014, 11:43   #988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
I'd recommend you to study Paleo diet. I am sure it will help you.
+1

Quote:

Are you veg or non-vegeterian? You should be able to try paleo diet if you follow non-veg, I attach the photo of allowed foods under paleo.

Source - http://janeshealthykitchen.com/whats-the-paleo-diet/

If you say yes, I can explain you in detail on how to go about with it from a cooking perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-images.jpg  

Old 26th February 2014, 11:50   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyaanveshi View Post
My suggestion: please think about what type of cardio you want to do before investing in a treadmill or any other expensive equipment. Otherwise, it might very well end up remaining unused. For whatever reason, most people think of a treadmill when they decide to take up cardio. They don't consider other options such as elliptical machines or stationary bikes which are considerably cheaper, easier on the knees, occupy less space and perhaps more enjoyable, all while enabling an equally good workout.
Satya
thanks. have thought through this and then decided to go for a treadmill.

request all to provide some suggestions on good models that can considered
Old 26th February 2014, 12:10   #990
Senior - BHPian

Every one I know ends up using a treadmill for hanging laundry to dry, till they find someone else to sell it to. It is the most boring form of exercise there can be. Ditto for stationary cycles and ellipticals.

Last edited by Sawyer : 26th February 2014 at 12:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks