Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2011, 20:18   #106
BHPian

re: The Weight Loss Thread.

I am in the 3rd day of GM Diet Plan.

I'm 5'6" and now at 72kg. Overweight by almost 8kg. Let me see how much I can lose this week.
Old 21st June 2011, 20:44   #107
Senior - BHPian

I am told that early mornings having warm water with honey and lemon fastens the fat loss, is it true? Also does green apples do the same?

I have managed to shed around 8 kgs in 12 weeks thanks to 25 min cardio and 10 mins weights. Hope to loose more and fast.
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:05   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am told that early mornings having warm water with honey and lemon fastens the fat loss, is it true? Also does green apples do the same?

I have managed to shed around 8 kgs in 12 weeks thanks to 25 min cardio and 10 mins weights. Hope to loose more and fast.
Yes, thats true. This combination has been around from ages together and it indeed helps in burning fat faster provided you keep track of what you eat for rest of the day.

8kgs in 12 weeks is ideal weight reduction. Infact, 3-4 kgs a month is supposed to be the right amount to reduce.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:51   #109
Senior - BHPian

I am 21 years, 5'7 and 74 kg, I used to be 66-68 generally but suddenly out on weight and now hovering about 72-75 kg ! Any idea how much and how fast I can lose by walking alone for an hour each day?
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:04   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I am 21 years, 5'7 and 74 kg, I used to be 66-68 generally but suddenly out on weight and now hovering about 72-75 kg ! Any idea how much and how fast I can lose by walking alone for an hour each day?
You first need to identify the root cause for your sudden weight gain. Was it a change in lifestyle (sedantry job) or change in diet (junk food) or some other ?

Walking alone is not sufficient for weight loss. You need to adopt a healthier lifestyle :
- eat all your meals at proper times (heavy breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner)
- do not skip any meals, especially breakfast
- avoid eating junk food as much as possible
- remove refined carbs from your diet, use whole grains
- take the stairs instead of the lift
- don't use the vehicle for going nearby, walk or cycle to nearby places

Apart from these, start an exercise regimen. Don't stick to the same exercise everyday since the body gets used to it and stops responding after a while. Alternate between brisk walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, skipping etc.

Also, do some weight training for increasing muscle mass. Increasing muscle mass helps to hasten the fat burning process. You need not join a gym for weight training. You can purchase your weights (dumb bells etc) or do exercises using your body weight (push ups/pull ups etc).

If possible, try to find some like minded friends and play a sport which burns calories. Badminton (singles) and football are ideal for burning calories.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:28   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You first need to identify the root cause for your sudden weight gain. Was it a change in lifestyle (sedantry job) or change in diet (junk food) or some other ?

Walking alone is not sufficient for weight loss. You need to adopt a healthier lifestyle :
- eat all your meals at proper times (heavy breakfast, moderate lunch and light dinner)
- do not skip any meals, especially breakfast
- avoid eating junk food as much as possible
- remove refined carbs from your diet, use whole grains
- take the stairs instead of the lift
- don't use the vehicle for going nearby, walk or cycle to nearby places

Apart from these, start an exercise regimen. Don't stick to the same exercise everyday since the body gets used to it and stops responding after a while. Alternate between brisk walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, skipping etc.

Also, do some weight training for increasing muscle mass. Increasing muscle mass helps to hasten the fat burning process. You need not join a gym for weight training. You can purchase your weights (dumb bells etc) or do exercises using your body weight (push ups/pull ups etc).

If possible, try to find some like minded friends and play a sport which burns calories. Badminton (singles) and football are ideal for burning calories.

Rohan
Thanks a lot for your suggestions bro But the intriguing thing is, I have never eaten junk food much all my life as I don't like it, I always use the stairs instead of the lift too. The sudden weight gain is during the vacation last year, when I kept bunging on foods all through the day for almost 10 days ! After that I returned to normal diet and daily routine, but the extra weigh I gained isn't going anywhere. :(

I would now mix my walking routine with jogging and some aerobics, thanks for that tip.
But tight schedules wont let me take up an activity or sport on week days, though I love the idea of it. I really enjoy playing badmiton too. Just wish I had time for it.
Old 23rd June 2011, 12:42   #112
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest to add swimming and cycling to the list of the exercises. Swimming for two days a week burns fat more faster than a weeks running or walking. Cycling helps a lot in increasing one's stamina. Try them and you will feel noticeable difference.

As Rohan suggested exercise accompanied by good eating only can help in bringing down the weight.
Old 24th June 2011, 14:26   #113
BHPian

Guys,

My 2 cents. Never ever eat sprouted Rajma. Its a superfast fat burner (highly dehydrating) and guess what, I lost 3Kgs in a day after having it for my breakfast. I ended up totally dehydrated and drained out.

KTP
Old 26th June 2011, 11:15   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I am in the 3rd day of GM Diet Plan.

I'm 5'6" and now at 72kg. Overweight by almost 8kg. Let me see how much I can lose this week.
Lost 3.5kg in a week.
Though GM diet plan says you can lose 5-8kg, this is what I could get (lose).
Old 26th June 2011, 11:30   #115
Senior - BHPian

Interview: Rujuta Diwekar puts a lid on weight loss | Flipkart Blog

Flipkart.com: Don't Lose Your Mind, Lose Your Weight: Rujuta Diwekar (9788184001051)

This is a fantastic book. Must read for whoever wanted to do something about their weight

Quote:
Every morning I pick up my newspaper and at least three pamphlets drop out of it, one of them is asking me to pay 7000/- to lose 5 kgs, another one wants me to tuck my arms and tummy and the third one wants me to plant more hair on my scalp - when I stop at traffic signals, hoardings scream the same exact things! Haven’t we made a tamasha out of our body? We are plagued with the disease of feeling inadequate and are so insecure about our looks that there is a multi-million dollar weight loss industry out there thriving on our inadequacies and fears. We have moved away from our native and intrinsic wisdom of eating seasonal, fresh foods and in quantities that can be easily digested, absorbed, assimilated and excreted.

Last edited by Surprise : 26th June 2011 at 11:35.
Old 26th June 2011, 12:01   #116
Senior - BHPian

Super thread, very useful.

I am overweight myself. Not much, but still slightly more than the required. I am 5' 11" and weigh in at 87kgs. I want to reduce it to 75kgs in the next 6 months. I have cut down totally on the meat part. Chicken only once a month, nothing more. And I am a non smoker and a non drinker.

I go for morning jogging daily 6kms (3kms one way) which helps a lot to reduce weight. But the fact is I tend to overeat during the day, which sort of cancels out the calories that are burnt in the morning.

Every morning I plan out this:
Breakfast = 1 dish of pohe/khichdi/sandwich/idli/medu wada + 1 cup of tea ( only 1 of the items, not all )
Lunch = 1 roti + 1 serving of vegetables + ½ katori rice & dal
Evening = 1 cup tea + 1 dish of whatever is available in the office cafeteria
Dinner = 2 rotis + 1 serving of home cooked vegetables + 1 katori rice & dal.

But I end up having more than what I have decided in my plan. Another problem is that for a few months I have to put up with my office cafeteria food which is oily and high in calories. So I have no option but to eat at the office.

Also I have this bad habit of eating sweets after a meal, I simply can't go without eating something sweet.

I know the exercise part is done; I have seen the effects myself after reducing from 92kgs to 87kgs in the last 6 months. What sort of a diet change is required here to achieve the target that I mentioned? Now I need to control my diet properly to achieve the target.
Old 26th June 2011, 13:46   #117
BHPian

Wag7,

1. Try to have Chapathi's (wheat) instead of Rice and Roti
2. Avoid Dal
3. Most important, reduce SWEET's
4. Try a walk after dinner (short, brisk walk, say 2kms.)
ch.nathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 16:56   #118
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Very useful thread indeed!

I feel that i'm slightly overweight. I'm 25yrs old 6 feet 1 inch tall weigh about 87kgs. I assume for my height 82-83kgs is the ideal weight ?!? i was about 82kgs 2yrs ago when i was in college. My waist size has gone bigger once i started working.

Here's what i eat :
- Breakfast at 7 30am consisting of 2 omlettes + 1 cup of tea
- Lunch at 1 30pm consisting of 4 chapatis along with some curry/dal
- Tea with Marie buscuits at 6pm
- Fruits at 8 30pm
- Dinner at 9 30pm - same as lunch

I workout 4-5 times a week between 7-8pm . I dont smoke & drink only once in 4months. As can be seen from my above schedule, i have long gaps between meals. Off late everyone has been pointing towards my paunch.
I feel the root-cause of my sudden weight gain has been due to change in lifestyle! Dont have too many bad habits and i'm not exactly a foodie. I dont eat rice and not too many vegetables either,prefer non veg good. Not crazy about junk food but i have a pizza once in a month. I really dont know where my problem lies.
Recently returned from a 6day trip to Singapore and figured out that i had lost 1.5kgs due to the excess walking that i did on the trip. While everyday here in Mumbai i spend 4hrs in the car commuting and even more hours sitting in office!
Old 26th June 2011, 21:34   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
- Breakfast at 7 30am consisting of 2 omlettes + 1 cup of tea
- Lunch at 1 30pm consisting of 4 chapatis along with some curry/dal
- Tea with Marie buscuits at 6pm
- Fruits at 8 30pm
- Dinner at 9 30pm - same as lunch
First and foremost stick to your routine and dont skip any meals. Also would suggest you to eat small portions of fruit in between those huge gaps. Fruits before dinner is a big no no. Eat small portions of fruit after dinner maybe. For in between meals have a small snack bar handy for those hunger pangs. If you keep long gaps between your meals this is a sureshot invitation for acidity.
A small walk after lunch/dinner is a good way of starting the digestion process. As per experts the ideal time for exercise is between 4-5 pm if you can do that. If you do exercise late then you will get tired enough to drive away your sleep and thats another big no no.
Old 27th June 2011, 04:49   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Wag7,

2. Avoid Dal
Why avoid dal? Its high in protein and comparatively low carb, which helps in weight loss and muscle gain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks