Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 13:35   #1036
BANNED

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2393005
There was no relationship between energy intake and adiposity although leanness and exercise were related (p less than 0.001). No differences were found between groups for energy intake but the lean individuals exercised more often than did the obese individuals.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8195547
No differences were found between lean and obese subjects for energy intake or total sugar intake

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/0...-dont-cut-fat/
954cal/day excess over 8 weeks.
OR 15.3 kg weight gain based on the math often suggested. In reality they gained 7.7 lb or 3.5 kg, only <25% starting from a healthy base.

If that math was right, why did people gain so little?

I'm currently reading Gary Taubes and Jonathan Bailor's book on the subject which talk abut this perspective.
Mailed. It has 3 plans. 2500. 2100. And 1800. For me 2100 works best. Maintains weight when I am moderately exercising and lose it when it gets intense and cardio is added. I am 5.6 and usually fluctuate my weight between 65 kg to 70. In your case 2500 cal plan should work. Better still using online calculators you can know your baseline and therefore increase/decrease your diet accordingly. The macros too are in the recommended zones.

Try it out and let me know if it works.

Since you've read so much on it let me know your views about the plan. I wonder why I keep referring to excel and pdf!

That's some reading. Missed interacting with you while you were in Delhi.

Last edited by anandjha : 8th August 2014 at 13:39.
Old 8th August 2014, 14:57   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
See that's the only thing I don't believe in, actually. There's a whole body of scientific evidence against it - its one of those perspectives that everyone trots out but no one measures. It works for a few but not for most:
May be I am from one of those few for which it has worked. Whenever I keep the food in check and take out 45 mins for exercise, I start losing weight.

Reverse is also true. The moment I stop exercising and, not to mention, bit lax on what I eat, I put on weight.

Last edited by shipnil : 8th August 2014 at 14:59.
Old 8th August 2014, 19:24   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I've been flirting around the 105 kg mark, yo-yoing anywhere from 101 to 108 every now and then without any pattern. I'm 5'11. Last week was 103- now its up to 108.
Over the last three months, standalone carbs are very low. My meals comprise of ...

2. Cutting food or too much calories causes unsustainable hunger pangs.

3. last in 2010 beginning when I was cycling >500km/month + ~7-8km walking around a giant construction site, my weight was down to 88 kg. It has hovered thereafter above 100 but I wasnt doing anything in discipline except about 200-300km cycling. Now I've turned up the exercise, focused on protein, cut carbs and I don't have anything to show.
1. No matter what you read around in books and websites, NO ONE CAN TELL YOU how much calories YOU require.

The fact that you are not reducing weight (fat/muscle/water ... whatever) simply means you are eating more than what you body requires.
I've asked these questions on the bodybuilding thread, but surprisingly everyone just stares blank and parrot repeats 2100 kcal (to 2600 kcal - depending on where they have read the figures from) as the daily caloric requirement figure.
And what about BMR? No one has any clue.
So there is no "-500 kcal from daily caloric requirement or BMR" because no one knows the either figure.

2. There is no replacement for caloric restriction. You will have to live with it. Your body stored fat so that it can utilize it for energy when you are hungry. Again this is something quite obvious. If you are looking for miracle food - then there is none. The food itself is the problem. Hunger pangs are programmed response. Like everything else in life one gets used to it in a matter of 1-2 weeks. You have to de-program this behavior if you wish to life long stay lean.

Well there is an alternative though! Take up manual laborer's job. Even if you spend 100 kcal extra per hour on the job - you will be burning about 1000 kcal extra per day!

3. Since everyone does (unfortunately) love the numbers and counting calories. For an average person riding a cycle or walking the tendency would be to reach a comfortable speed that doesn't cause huffing and puffing. Reading around in google you will see that effort required to do this speed to be about 200 (walking) -300 (cycling) kcal

cycling 600 km/month = 20 km per day (roughly 1.5 hours) = about 300 kcal per hour => Roughly 450 kcal.

Walking 7-8 km = about 2 hours => about 200 kcal per hour => Roughly 400 kcal.

Which means total 750-900 kcal were being burnt extra daily!
(This would be easily equal to a normal lunch)

If you are eating the same way as earlier you are bound to put on weight.

Last edited by alpha1 : 8th August 2014 at 19:28.
Old 19th August 2014, 14:54   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Read an article on NDTV about this new product called "pure camogia ultra" something based on some Indonesian fruit. Apparently it is the mother of all weight losing products out there. Has anyone here heard or used the same?
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:41   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

I have been hearing about these new weight loss capsules called Pure Cambogia Ultra and Pure Life Cleanse and have been hearing rave reviews about the same. Has anyone heard of this or tried out this product? It is even available on Amazon.com

http://chanhealthonline.com/c/?p=b2o...41cdbd29fb.jpg
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:11   #1041
BANNED

Jaitley had baratric surgery today for weight and sugar issues. He did not look that obese to me.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:18   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
"pure camogia ultra"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Pure Cambogia Ultra and Pure Life Cleanse
A quick search on Google will tell you that these so called quick weight loss diets, capsules & supplements, like countless before them, are total fads.

Can search, collate and post all the condemning evidence, if you so desire

In my opinion, nothing beats cutting carbs, sugar, oil, ditching an unhealthy lifestyle when it comes to losing weight. Add a dedicated & continuous exercise routine to the mix and you are looking at good weight loss result in a months time. Come on guys, if losing weight was so easy, everyone would be doing it left right & center. It isn't easy, takes a lot of dedication and hard work.
Old 2nd September 2014, 15:10   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
It isn't easy, takes a lot of dedication and hard work.
It also means accepting and implementing a change of lifestyle.
But in this age of instant nirvana seekers, there are plenty of vendors to pander to that need. Even without these fixes, it isn't that hard to lose weight. What is immensely hard is to keep it lost for the rest of your life. That separates the men from the boys.

Further to the above, one needs to realise that any weight loss regime one chooses is something that has to be observed for the rest of one's life. Selecting one needs to be done keeping this in mind. If you don't think you can do this with the regime under consideration, it is the wrong one for you. Yo Yo weight loss behaviour can be more dangerous than being consistently overweight.
Medical condition based obesity is an exception of course, but this applies to very few people embarking on weight loss.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd September 2014 at 15:52. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:20   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Read an article on NDTV about this new product called "pure camogia ultra" something based on some Indonesian fruit. Apparently it is the mother of all weight losing products out there. Has anyone here heard or used the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

I have been hearing about these new weight loss capsules called Pure Cambogia Ultra and Pure Life Cleanse and have been hearing rave reviews about the same. Has anyone heard of this or tried out this product?
This is a fruit that is widely available in Kerala. The dried rind of this is used for cooking fish over there. I saw some reports saying that research has not proved the effectiveness of this in any conclusive way. There is also a rage building over green coffee bean extract for losing weight - presumably promoted by the same Doctor in the US (The Dr. Oz show). Again no proven research on the benefit of green coffee bean extract in inducing weight loss.
Old 2nd September 2014, 16:35   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Seems more like a case of Mid Life or if the there is such a term Third Quarter life crisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Jaitley had baratric surgery today for weight and sugar issues. He did not look that obese to me.
Old 3rd September 2014, 02:23   #1046
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I have been this overweight guy all my life and struggled with my weight ever since I remember. things were getting worse and I once touched 112 kgs! at 5.8" that was way over weight! I started getting lot of problems, high blood pressure, back pain etc. then one day I decided to consult a Dietician/Naturopathy Doc. was 108 kgs when I started. lost about 15kgs. then took a break for few months and gained few kgs back. again started after consulting a Dietician and lost 10 kgs. so from 108, I am now around 87 kgs. it wasn't easy and certainly wasn't over night. it took me a year and a half to reach here. but I am happy and feel way better comparatively. more energetic and about 10 years younger!

I had tried Gymming many times over the years but could never be regular and it never worked. infact even when I was working hard for few months, I didn't see such results. losing weight is all about the right diet! its a fact that its 80% Diet and 20% workout. so if anyone wants to lose some serious weight, take professional help and consult a good dietician today. theres no better time to start than now!

my journey is still on and need to lose about 12-15 kgs more. hopefully in few months I will be there.
Old 3rd September 2014, 06:18   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Losing weight is all about the right diet! its a fact that its 80% Diet and 20% workout. so if anyone wants to lose some serious weight, take professional help and consult a good dietician today. theres no better time to start than now!

my journey is still on and need to lose about 12-15 kgs more. hopefully in few months I will be there.
This! Get this thing out of your head. Any wise doctor or sage will tell you that the best way to lose weight is to exercise and eat as per your needs (i.e. avoid over-eating. No harm in eating your normal daily food!)

There is no substitute to exercise for losing weight (for a average person). Diet et all can only take you so much. The best documented results for losing weight have always been observed in trials where the subjects were allowed to eat their regular diet, but they were introduced to various forms of exercise (as per their or the researchers convenience; depending on the trial).

Happy for you that you are losing weight, but kindly refrain from advising others that losing weight is 80% diet. Keep eating your regular meals. Avoid the junk in b/w.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:54   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
This! Get this thing out of your head. Any wise doctor or sage will tell you that the best way to lose weight is to exercise and eat as per your needs (i.e. avoid over-eating. No harm in eating your normal daily food!)

There is no substitute to exercise for losing weight (for a average person). Diet et all can only take you so much. The best documented results for losing weight have always been observed in trials where the subjects were allowed to eat their regular diet, but they were introduced to various forms of exercise (as per their or the researchers convenience; depending on the trial).

Happy for you that you are losing weight, but kindly refrain from advising others that losing weight is 80% diet. Keep eating your regular meals. Avoid the junk in b/w.

Thanks,
Simple_car
Can you kindly share the specific details (academic journals only, not program websites) of the same? AFAIK only when there's really intense exercise are there results. I've had contrary experience with off-on low intensity exercise - I think there's more to it. It cannot be treated as a silver bullet as well.

One consistent experience I had in college was that everytime I took up walking to lose weight, I ended up eating post-walk/jog and my weight didn't change. Post-exercise hunger / increase is appetite is documented as well. Which is consistent with real life - laborers eat a much larger diet than us sedentary office folks.

Even in my cycling group, junta cycle 30km then polish off a plate of idli sambar, coffee and maybe something more - so the fit guys remain fit, the not so fit guys remain that way because I've seen people follow exercise with food and which is a natural impulse.

Exercise isnt a magic pill for weight loss as well AFAIK unless its HIIT and suchlike intense effort. IMHO the combination is what works - and what makes it so tough to lose weight for the majority. Even recently - I exercised ~12-15 hours every month, all of it fairly intense functional exercises, and lost ZERO over four months when my diet was sort of decent as well.

Let's look at other examples e.g my maid in gurgaon went from an emaciated woman to a borderline overweight woman in four years, despite working 8-9 hours a day doing just jhaadoo / pocha and all of it with her hands (i.e squats etc). My chennai maid whose about 5'6 or so weighs 70-80kg easily - she works ~6 hours a day and is technically involved in moderate exercise for that period, right?
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:45   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw our own IRONH4WK had shared this on his facebook wall.

The Weight Loss Thread-10622931_10152628904186840_2534315101042197015_n.jpg
Nice excuse

My intentions with this post is just to put some humour. Hope it is taken in the right spirits.
I sincerely appreciate all the sincere efforts of the members here trying to loose weight and helping others do it as well.

PS: The watermark gives credit to the source. I don't know if I should mention it again.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:04   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
I don't think this advice is bad, with some correction which is probably what was meant. Diet in this context means what one eats and in what quantity. If this is in line with the activity levels of a person, weight gain cannot happen. And for the calories needed to match activity levels the healthiest and sustainable way is to get all food groups and not follow any fad program. Or get them from junk food. beverages and alcohol.

And exercise can be as little as a 45 minute brisk walk daily. Anything beyond that is necessary only if fitness goals are to be achieved. In that sense, it is only 20%. Eating right on the other hand needs to be done in all the remaining waking hours in a day. Every day.

Maintaining a consistent weight for years is all about eating the right things, in the right quantities consistent with activity levels, and in the right manner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks