Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2018, 13:22   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

I remember reading somewhere that fasting might actually lead to an increase in fat as the body assumes that food is scarce and attempts to store sustenance in the form of fat. Not sure if that is true.
Intermittent fasting is not starving. During intermittent fasting you eat enough food within the window. You need to take enough nutrition (LCHF) within the six or eight hour window where you are eating. Skipping breakfast does not count as intermittent fasting if you eat bad quality food for lunch and dinner

If you starve yourself of the required nutrition then your weight loss may not be to the level expected since the body will try to store fat
Old 12th June 2018, 15:19   #1922
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...Frankly, I don't have major belly fat at all and wear 31" denims now. Just that the stomach isn't as 'tight' as it was earlier...
You look very fit. If you continue this healthy lifestyle and add a good dose of core strengthening exercises, you will start getting that tight feeling in the abs over a period of time.

You could try intermittent fasting for it's other benefit which is autophagy which actually makes you look and feel younger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
...I end up skipping breakfast sometimes because I wake up late and have to get to work! Does that count as intermittent fasting?

I remember reading somewhere that fasting might actually lead to an increase in fat as the body assumes that food is scarce and attempts to store sustenance in the form of fat. Not sure if that is true.
When you skip breakfast, do you have something like coffee or tea instead? If yes, it is not fasting. It is considered fasting only if the calorie input to the body is zero. Even if you put 50 calories in the form of anything, your body is no longer in fasted state. And fasted state is different from starvation mode.

The body can be only in two states - fasted state and fed state. Fasted state is where there is absolutely no calorie input. This puts the body in a mode where it burns fat reserves for fuel. On the other hand, if you keep yourself fed, but create severe calorie and micro-nutrient restriction (like some crash diets do), the body will then go into starvation mode where it slows down the metabolism and increases savings as fat for future need.

Also, in intermittent fasting, though you narrow the window of eating, you will still eat your fill and eat clean. As mallumowgli rightly pointed out, if you do intermittent fasting and then eat junk (sugar, simple carbs etc) in the 8 hour window, it will not help.

This is the state our body has been programmed to be in over millions of years. Our paleolithic ancestors did not eat 3 meals a day. They hunted to for food, and starved in between. And they had lots of dietary fat and protein as primary food. They had very limited carbs from fruits, roots etc. The body was always primed to use fat as fuel. Only since the agricultural age, we have moved to grains (carbs) as primary food and developed the habit of eating throughout the day. As our body has still not adapted to carb as fuel source, we find all types of health issues cropping up.
Old 12th June 2018, 15:27   #1923
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
It is considered fasting only if the calorie input to the body is zero.

The body can be only in two states - fasted state and fed state.

Also, in intermittent fasting, though you narrow the window of eating, you will still eat your fill and eat clean.

This is the state our body has been programmed to be in over millions of years. Our paleolithic ancestors did not eat 3 meals a day.
Awesome info! Thanks to you and mallumowgli.
Old 12th June 2018, 20:46   #1924
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, congrats to all who have lost weight. Thanks to advice from Samurai & Ampere, I myself dropped from 92 - 94 kilos to 72 kilos. I was always fit in life, but 5 - 8 years of over indulgences took their toll. Now, my waist is the same as it was in my college days .

What sort of dietary plan you followed ?

I presume, you are a vegetarian and so LCHF diet plan has little options for vegetarian diet.
Old 13th June 2018, 15:23   #1925
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You look very fit. If you continue this healthy lifestyle and add a good dose of core strengthening exercises, you will start getting that tight feeling in the abs over a period of time.
Thanks! I alternate between weights & cardio every workout day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
I presume, you are a vegetarian and so LCHF diet plan has little options for vegetarian diet.
Limited? Says who? Here's a quick list I'd compiled a while back (will share a detailed one later).

Light meals & snacks

Baked beans with cheese
Edamame with cheese (love this when watching movies)
Khakra made of dal with ghee & sprinkled chat masala (ask Samurai how yummy this is)
Dal vada (dal bhajiya)
Hummus
Spicy Pudla (tomato omelette) with onions, capsicum, green chillies, cheese
Green Dhokla
Medu Vada with sambar
Thin moog dal dosa (with mulga pudi inside)
Paneer Tikka (dry)
Mushroom Tikka (dry)
Cream Cheese
Salad (I love + eat carrot everyday)

Proper meals at home

Ragda (sorry, don't know non-gujju name for these...same ragda as ragda-pattice)
Misal
Mag
Math
Rajma
Chole (my favourite). Delhi style
Spicy peas (my favourite)
Cauliflower vegetable or cauliflower + peas mix (love it)
Paneer bhurji
Paneer tikka vegetable
Jain Pao Bhaji (without pao). Jain means more spicy + no potato
Big mushroom pieces with stuffed cheese + masala

Three Cheat Dinners a week (I prefer lunch at home)

Pizzas
Burgers
Sushi
You name it

IMP

Cut off sugar & rice at the start and watch the needle come down every week

Fruits

My favourites are watermelon, apple & pomegranate. I eat at least 1 fruit a day. Watermelon has low carbs and is incredibly satisfying / tasty / hydrating / filling.

Best thing to drink

Coconut water - Low carbs, very hydrating.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 15:31   #1926
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! I alternate between weights & cardio every workout day.

Limited? Says who? Here's a quick list I'd compiled a while back (will share a detailed one later).

Thanks.

Waiting for the detailed one. Would like to try out this regime soon.
Old 13th June 2018, 15:55   #1927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Baked beans with cheese
Edamame with cheese (love this when watching movies)
Khakra made of dal with ghee & sprinkled chat masala (ask Samurai how yummy this is)
Dal vada (dal bhajiya)
Hummus
Spicy Pudla (tomato omelette) with onions, capsicum, green chillies, cheese
Green Dhokla
Medu Vada with sambar
Thin moog dal dosa (with mulga pudi inside)
Paneer Tikka (dry)
Mushroom Tikka (dry)
Cream Cheese
Salad (I love + eat carrot everyday)

Ragda (sorry, don't know non-gujju name for these...same ragda as ragda-pattice)
Misal
Mag
Math
Rajma
Chole (my favourite). Delhi style
Spicy peas (my favourite)
Cauliflower vegetable or cauliflower + peas mix (love it)
Paneer bhurji
Paneer tikka vegetable
Jain Pao Bhaji (without pao). Jain means more spicy + no potato
Big mushroom pieces with stuffed cheese + masala

Three Cheat Dinners a week (I prefer lunch at home)

Pizzas
Burgers
Sushi
You name it

Fruits

My favourites are watermelon, apple & pomegranate. I eat at least 1 fruit a day. Watermelon has low carbs and is incredibly satisfying / tasty / hydrating / filling.
I'm wondering whether these are exactly LCHF, especially fruits and there should not be any cheat options I thought. Isn't this list mostly protein and less fat?

Please correct me, because I have once embarked on the LCHF journey and dropped it due to limited choices in my mind, especially south Indian. If available with anybody, please share south Indian LCHF options especially of the vegan type. Would like to take less non veg, except egg.

Now just started on the IF, but still got to reduce or avoid sugar.

Last edited by thoma : 13th June 2018 at 15:59.
Old 13th June 2018, 16:02   #1928
BHPian

Quote:

[.
Wow. So many Dals and Fruits in your diet. Need to show this to my brother who doesn't eat even Dals and Fruits saying they have carbs and sugar too.
He is a little eccentric though and he has been able to get a six pack by following his LCHF diet and exercise routine.
Old 13th June 2018, 16:03   #1929
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I'm wondering whether these are exactly LCHF, especially fruits
You got to live a little, man . I do LCHF, but not 100% strict LCHF.

Quote:
and there should not be any cheat options I thought
Sorry, should have clarified. I cheat thrice a week right now and am easily able to maintain my 72 kilo weight. But no cheating like this when I was losing.
Old 13th June 2018, 16:09   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got to live a little, man .

You bet yes! You are really a practical guy and me just the opposite

But I had always been thinking, from my readings, that LCHF works only if it is strict. Too much reading and less application, ahem ahem.
Old 13th June 2018, 16:30   #1931
BHPian

hey folks, l am in desperate need for motivation, I'm 80kg. is there any app to help in motivating me. I need a community that will help me take one step at a time. I got gym membership, but never use it. Treadmill, bench and dumbell is gathering dust at home. I'm seriously in need of a gun on my head. please help me team

Last edited by doxinboy : 13th June 2018 at 16:31.
Old 13th June 2018, 16:30   #1932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
...But I had always been thinking, from my readings, that LCHF works only if it is strict. Too much reading and less application, ahem ahem.
How strict an LCHF one needs greatly depends on one's genetic makeup. If someone is seriously overweight or diabetic and has very high insulin resistance and low tolerance to carbs, for them only very strict LCHF - less than 50 grams of carb a day will work (Keto purists target less than 20 grams of carb). Also, this strict low carb is necessary during the weight loss phase. This is where grains, some starchy vegetables and fruits are completely not allowed.

People who are in the maintenance phase or who have better tolerance to carbs can get away with a higher level of carbs (unprocessed, complex carbs with low glycemic index) in their diet.

In summary, if you follow the strict Keto, irrespective of your genetic makeup, you will be able to lose weight and maintain. If you want to be a little liberal with carbs, then you will have to arrive at how much carbs is good for you by strict weight watch and trial and error.
Old 14th June 2018, 11:55   #1933
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Wow, how did i miss this thread all these years!

I am in my early 30's , 6 feet tall weighing about 85-86kgs at present,wear 34" trousers. I workout in the gym 6 days a week for about 40mins. Below is what my schedule is like:
- Gym at 6am on weekdays.
- Breakfast at 7 30am consisting of 2 omlettes + 1 cup of tea
- Lunch at 1 pm consisting of 4 chapatis along with some curry(chicken,fish)/dal. Rarely eat rice. Bit of Veggies infrequently.
- Tea with biscuits in office at 5pm. (perhaps this can be avoided by eating sandwich in office?)
- Dinner at 9 30pm - similar as lunch
- eat Fruits few times a week before Dinner.
- drink Real Fruit Juice regularly.
- eat junk food like burger twice a month.
- have chocolates 6 times a week. (reduced the quantity in last few months)
- Go to sleep at around 10:30-11pm.

What is bothering me is the belly fat. I have lost about 2kg in the last couple of weeks by trying to keep a control on what i eat. Have read the last couple of pages on this thread which have some very informative posts. I don't think i am terribly overweight but i remember being a constant at 82kgs (ideal weight for my height) 10+ years ago.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:06   #1934
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
hey folks, l am in desperate need for motivation...Treadmill, bench and dumbell is gathering dust at home.
Try making exercise 'fun' and something you can do with friends. Personally I find gyms boring and exercising at home indoors is dull too. Do you have access to a pool? Swimming is fun and great exercise. Running on trails with friends. I see several small-sized football pitches coming up around office areas in Bangalore, join one and play. Hiking on weekends. Taking the stairs instead of lifts everywhere you go.

Try to fit in a workout somewhere during your day and stick to that time, just to make it a habit. Schedule it at a time that matches your energy levels. I'm not a morning person, so I exercise in the afternoons and then go back to work, or in the evenings after work. This will help reduce the desire to skip a session. For the first couple of weeks, you'll have to force yourself to go, but after a month or so, you'll start looking forward to it and even missing it if you skip a session.

Small steps, start soon, try to find company while exercising (don't go out for junk food and beers after a workout session though! ), enjoy it.

Last edited by am1m : 14th June 2018 at 12:12.
Old 14th June 2018, 12:43   #1935
BHPian

doxinboy: Your best motivatin is GTO who reduced weight from 95 to 72. I have reduced from 87 to 75 in a span of 9 months. I used to walk 5 km a day in about an hour on most days, but one sign of overcast sky would send me back to sleep. I found the weight was going up with all the food I was eating. I used to pass Gold's Gym on my morning walk and even dropped in to find out the rates a couple of years ago, but did not join then.

Nine months back, I took the decision to take the yearly membership. I had a goal of reducing weight from 87 to 80 in three months. I found the gym a friendly place. It became a determined effort to do cardio and weights and every week increase the level of difficulty.

I found that this was possible, and I was consistently going to the gym every day at 6am and work out for 75 minutes. Now 9 months later, I have a comfortable workout schedule, a resonably flat stomach and feel much better.

I also make it a point to climb 18 stories to the terrace of my apartment complex. Initially I used to puff and pant, but now I can climb up and down in 10 minutes without much effort.

In March, I did the Kedarkantha trek and was able t complete it without difficulty.

So, doxinboy, that is the motivation for you. And I am 59 now and look forward to a very exciting retired life in a year's time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks