Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2018, 07:57   #2041
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi. What about taking coffee with zero calorie sugar substitutes?
Bud, would suggest avoiding sugar substitutes. There are many studies that say they are as bad or worse than refined sugar itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Sugar being the most addictive substance on the planet, it's no wonder we try to find so many substitutes instead of avoiding it.
Great post - thanks! I'm completely off refined sugar. At one time, I used to be a total "kadak chai" (strong tea) guy who used to have 2 - 3 cups everyday. This continued for about 10 years, until I realised that 3 - 4 spoons of sugar went into each tea!!! Dropped it overnight & now I'm a black coffee (L-O-V-E it) or chamomile / green tea guy.

This excess sugar was one of the main reasons behind my weight gain.
Old 4th November 2018, 09:19   #2042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bud, would suggest avoiding sugar substitutes. There are many studies that say they are as bad or worse than refined sugar itself.

Great post - thanks! I'm completely off refined sugar. At one time, I used to be a total "kadak chai" (strong tea) guy who used to have 2 - 3 cups everyday. This continued for about 10 years, until I realised that 3 - 4 spoons of sugar went into each tea!!! Dropped it overnight & now I'm a black coffee (L-O-V-E it) or chamomile / green tea guy.

A light dinner will fix almost all weight related issues, but hard to do for most, it kills sleep for the first few days.

Since you are drinking Green Tea, I have a suggestion for you to try and it is an unusual one at that. Jasmine Green Tea, have it when the weather around you is cold.

My grandfather worked in a tea garden in Ceylon during his youth, so a generation of finicky tea drinkers were born. Look for a brand Mlesna in big basket, they are good.
Old 4th November 2018, 19:49   #2043
BHPian

Quote:
What does late-night snacking do to your body? Heart surgeon A. Marc Gillinov, MD answers a few questions on the topic.
His suggestion
Quote:
try to go back to sleep without eating
Late Night Snacking.
Old 4th November 2018, 22:13   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
His suggestion

Late Night Snacking.
Don't know if it's cultural or something else, but I've never done so or seen anyone around me wake up and snack in more than 3 decades!

Might also have something to do with the fact that typically most families in India have late dinner.

Can someone point to a good brand for black coffee, or one with slight amount of milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Certainly the best thing you have done Rush. The ill effects of sugar extend far beyond just weight gain.

There have been detailed investigative articles in NYT and others over the past 2-3 years, regarding how big food knowingly suppressed these side effects of sugar and let fat grab all the attention:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/21/...disease-cancer

Last edited by avisidhu : 4th November 2018 at 22:22.
Old 4th November 2018, 22:59   #2045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Can someone point to a good brand for black coffee, or one with slight amount of milk?
If you have friends visiting from Singapore / Australia or you are making a trip there, you can purchase Robert Timms Coffee sachets which work like tea bags.
Dunk one sachet in hot water and you are good to go.

In our country, I stick to Bru Gold Label Instant Coffee or Nescafe Gold.
Davidoff Coffee is available on Amazon India but is slightly expensive.

Robert Timms Coffee Sachets .
Old 5th November 2018, 11:02   #2046
BHPian

I am not yet in a place where I need to worry about weight loss, but I know sooner or later I may have to worry about it.

Earlier I used to take only black coffee and brew my own. Much easier to do this in the US where you get massive varieties of coffee everywhere.

In India though, things are a little different. On weekdays, I only have green tea predominantly and occasionally the black tea. After having tried whole variety and brands of them I have settled on the Organic India Tea Bags for the most part and occasionally the Typhoo Lemograss green tea. There are good varieties of the organic india ones if anyone wants to try.

Anyone that invites for me a tea/coffee break, gets a flavor of my green tea collection and is subjected to my version of the tea.

I have my own electric kettle at the office desk and tea bags sitting around. With Organic India, one may find it a bit on the stronger side initially - A water temp marginally lower than the boiling point appears to bring out the flavors better.

Kudos to all the people here that have given up on the refined sugar. It's been one of my goals too. Will get there soon enough.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:35   #2047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Cafe Coffe day's Black Forest is a very good one. Alternately you can buy coffee powder from shops selling fresh ground coffee powder - don't know about your city but these shops are there in almost all towns in Tamil Nadu
Old 10th November 2018, 11:20   #2048
BHPian

Wanted to share a quick update on my weight loss journey.

Started in end of March with a weight of 108, as of today I weigh 78 kgs. I have been doing primarily lazy keto + 16/8 intermittent fasting with on and off workouts (cardio). Besides the weight loss itself, I have learnt so much about food along the way. Next stage of the fitness journey is to focus on reducing body fat % and building more lean muscle. I am also slowly incorporating complex carbs into the diet, but IF I something I will continue for life, I find it helps a lot with portion control and also makes life easier to not worry about eating the moment you get up.

I used to drink quite a bit prior to start of this journey. I have replaced that with black coffee now and enjoy it immensely (my personal favorite brand is Blue Tokai).

The Weight Loss Thread-whatsapp-image-20181105-7.57.40-pm.jpeg

Last edited by ampere : 10th November 2018 at 12:06.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:28   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanaguy19 View Post

Started in end of March with a weight of 108, as of today I weigh 78 kgs. .....[/ATTACH]

Wow, you look entirely different person after weight loss. 30 Kilos in just 7 months.
Old 12th November 2018, 07:58   #2050
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Since you are drinking Green Tea, I have a suggestion for you to try and it is an unusual one at that. Jasmine Green Tea, have it when the weather around you is cold.
Thanks! I really like this Chamomile Tea though.

Quote:
Started in end of March with a weight of 108, as of today I weigh 78 kgs.
Congrats dude! What a transformation. You look fantastic. Enjoy all the compliments which I'm sure you are getting.

Quote:
Besides the weight loss itself, I have learnt so much about food along the way.
Agreed. LCHF had a spillover effect to other aspects of my life too. I became very health conscious. I quit smoking and am taking more care of my body now.
Old 12th November 2018, 08:23   #2051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Started in end of March with a weight of 108, as of today I weigh 78 kgs. I have been doing primarily lazy keto + 16/8 intermittent fasting with on and off workouts (cardio). Besides the weight loss itself, I have learnt so much about food along the way. Next stage of the fitness journey is to focus on reducing body fat % and building more lean muscle. I am also slowly incorporating complex carbs into the diet, but IF I something I will continue for life, I find it helps a lot with portion control and also makes life easier to not worry about eating the moment you get up.

I used to drink quite a bit prior to start of this journey. I have replaced that with black coffee now and enjoy it immensely (my personal favorite brand is Blue Tokai).
I am sure a lot of effort went in there to achieve what you have done. I need to share this with a friend of mine who is at a similar weight as your March levels. Between him and me, we had taken up a challenge to reach 75kg first. He needs to get there from 100kg+ and I need to get there from ~61kg !. I have reached 70kg now in the past 1 yr and 5 months. I need to nudge him to try harder to bring his weight down so that we meet in the middle.

@GTO - Chamomile tea has great digestive and calming properties as well. If possible, try to have it after a meal. Warm fluids anyway aid digestion immensely. Having cold drinks with food is highly avoidable.

Last edited by narayan : 12th November 2018 at 08:25.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:32   #2052
Distinguished - BHPian

You know what they say about carbs.

The Weight Loss Thread-41ba19821cb4450195f7f316216ecc86.jpeg
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 09:56   #2053
BANNED

I am very happy to see the most pertinent thread on teambhp yet, given my pocket light- morbid otherwise condition.

I have been unsuccessfully trying to combat weight for a long time now.

I have received the red flag in the form of blood test last week.

I am 93kg, 5'7" with a 42 inch waist. Age 32.

Anxious to start weight, as always.

Has anyone tried egg white and oats diet successfully?
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-onyourmark.jpg  

Old 20th November 2018, 10:31   #2054
Team-BHP Support

You lost us at egg whites....

This thread has moved on long ago from such fad diets. Please read the first post, before proceeding.
Old 20th November 2018, 12:39   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Please read the first post, before proceeding.
From the first thread...

Quote:
Following is my understanding after reading the book
Can you please post the reference to the book again as I tried looking it around post 100 but could not find it?

I am on diet from the past one month for cholesterol reduction. My weight has dropped from 67 kgs to 63 kgs in a matter of one month. Absolutely no sugar for me and for a person with a sweet tooth it is quite depressing but able to fend off the cravings. No regular tea / coffee but only green tea for me now. Salads, one small fruit, vegetables, 2 rotis, butter milk and dry fruits are all that I am having now for lunch and dinner.

Will post the results after two months

Last edited by AltoLXI : 20th November 2018 at 13:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks