Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2009, 16:59   #1
BHPian

SOS!- Broke my Ankle - Temp Driver in Mumbai?

Had the misfortune of breaking my left ankle. Silver lining - its a hairline fracture, should be back to normal in 3 weeks.

Now, the doc advised me strictly to not walk/drive around much and put me in a cast. (ah, i wish i had an automatic!)

Problem: Busy, critical month at work.

1. My home to office travel is from Andheri to Belapur (~85 km/day). A cab costs around 700+ bucks one way.

2. Can I hire a driver for a month? Any trustworthy places anyone knows about - would be grateful for any pointers.

3. Saw this link in Google - www.professionaldrivers.in..has anyone used them earlier?

Please pour in with suggestions!

Thanks,
a down'cast' BHPian!

Last edited by d_himan : 7th November 2009 at 17:06.
Old 7th November 2009, 18:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'm at home since the last 14 days with a hairline fracture just above my left ankle. Trust me those 3 weeks are going to take ages . I was only told to use a crape bandage and no cast.

How do you intend to walk at home and at work? I'm using a walker right now but its not convenient to carry. I'm looking for crutches on rent. Let me know if you know any place.

Try asking drivers in your building if they can arrange for a temporary one.

Last edited by straight6 : 7th November 2009 at 18:09.
Old 8th November 2009, 00:41   #3
Senior - BHPian

In chennai we have these private companies offering 'driver for a day' services for quite a nominal charge of around 200 for a whole day (7-8 hrs) I think the company is: top 4.

I'm sure such services are available in mumbai. Search around for 'call drivers'

Last edited by anekho : 8th November 2009 at 00:51.
Old 8th November 2009, 01:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

What car and what pay?

Old 8th November 2009, 02:53   #5
BHPian

Ever thought of carpooling? There must be someone who does the same trip everyday. But even if you manage to locate such a person, I suppose coordinating departure times can be a problem.

If you aren't completely forbidden to walk, and are not averse to taking public transport, another option is to take a taxi to Santacruz BEST Bus Depot on SV Road near Milan Subway and board the new AC King Long bus (AS 505). This Volvo lookalike is disabled-friendly (with low floor and wide doors) and it terminates at Belapur. It's only slightly slower than a car, and you can read, snooze, or work on your laptop in comfort. Frequency's fairly good, with one bus every 20-25 minutes during peak hours. Since you'll be boarding at the starting point at either end, it's easy to get a seat too. Or carry a crutch, and you'll be assured of a seat in any case. A monthly pass costs only Rs 1000 -- and this allows you to travel on all of BEST's routes, not just the AS 505.

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 8th November 2009 at 03:01.
Old 21st November 2009, 20:33   #6
BHPian

Thanks Edsel (oh, that grill!) - pretty tough to walk more than a hundred feet...so buses were out.

A quick update: Have hired a driver for a month . Rs.7500/-. Overtime of Rs.25/hr to be paid to driver directly after 10 hrs. Dinner allowance of Rs.30 if it crosses 11 pm. 6 days a week. Sunday - Off. Can be hired at 25/Hr.

Pravin Babar - 9892423768, whose contact I got through 'Just Dial', proved to be the saviour.

Extremely professional in his approach. The driver provided was fantastic - courteous, punctual and a smooth driver. Also got a replacement driver on a weekend when my original driver's wife was unwell.

Most Viewed