Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2020, 10:33   #766
BHPian

Re: Spooky Experiences : Share them here

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
luvdriving same thing happened to me when I shifted to a new flat and quite eerily I used to wake up around 3:15 am which was quite weird for me as it is quite difficult to disturb my sleep.
Our current home is a rented rowhouse and it was built in 1983 but the owner has never lived in it. He has always given it on rent since it was built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Night duty watchman or road mending labourer group
Rag picker
Guy heading back from a night shift
We live in an inside lane of an ungated society. No watchman. Our lane has a dead end on one side. I can understand a stranger coming once or twice but not every night twice. Also, the dogs do not bark like they do seeing a stranger or a trespassing dog. They simply begin to howl loudly at 12am, keep at it for a minute then shut it till the second time.

Last edited by luvDriving : 14th January 2020 at 10:34. Reason: grammar
Old 14th January 2020, 18:44   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
Also, the dogs do not bark like they do seeing a stranger or a trespassing dog. They simply begin to howl loudly at 12am, keep at it for a minute then shut it till the second time.
Yes. This is a group song. They do that a lot, call it a pack instinct. Howling at the moon is a trait inherited from wolf days.
Old 14th January 2020, 18:57   #768
BHPian

Quote:
They simply begin to howl loudly at 12am, keep at it for a minute then shut it till the second time.
This is a very common behaviour of Street dogs and I have witnessed the same at many places. It's in our genes to get terrified of everything(shadows, feeling warmth/cold, sounds, insect rattles like anklets [this is latest addition to the gene code, thanks mainly to the novel writers and movies], during odd hours and the history goes back to the era before the discovery of fire.
Old 15th January 2020, 13:43   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. This is a group song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladRagu View Post
This is a very common behaviour of Street dogs.
Thanks for the explanations. However in the dead of the night, group songs, pack instinct, common behavior isn't the first thing that comes to mind.
Just to check out things, when the howling started, I gathered courage last night and ventured to the balcony. There was not a soul around. At least none that I could see with my bare eyes.
Once we (own family + in-laws) had to stay at a house near the Kashid beach. The house itself was spooky - old, damp, smelly and a little out of the way. Add to that, a dog from a nearby house kept howling throughout the night. And my FIL kept saying that - the dog is howling means that some aatma is on the prowl, start saying hanuman chalisa.
Now I am one to be scared easily and I could not sleep a wink that night.

Last edited by luvDriving : 15th January 2020 at 13:44. Reason: added content
Old 15th January 2020, 14:56   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And my FIL kept saying that - the dog is howling means that some aatma is on the prowl, start saying hanuman chalisa.
Now I am one to be scared easily and I could not sleep a wink that night.
The cure for that is to get a dog yourself and bring it up like a member of your family. Once you are around dogs you will cease to be scared of them.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 15:05   #771
BHPian

Quote:
The cure for that is to get a dog yourself and bring it up like a member of your family. Once you are around dogs you will cease to be scared of them.
Nice suggestion. In fact I love dogs (all pets in general). We even had 12 cats at a time in our previous home. We had to sadly give them all away when we moved.

Dogs (or again pets in general) are a huge responsibility and I currently cannot take it on. Rather I am not scared of dogs at all. Its all the howling at an unearthly hour which makes my spine shiver. But eventually I will get used to it (I think).
Old 15th January 2020, 15:06   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He isn’t scared of dogs, he is scared of the aatma.

My suggestion is to get an aatma for yourself and bring it up like a member of your family. Once you are around aatmas you will cease to be scared of them.
Red Liner is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 19:13   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

My suggestion is to get an aatma for yourself and bring it up like a member of your family. Once you are around aatmas you will cease to be scared of them.
I don't think anyone is scared of aatma too, but aatma howling at unearthly hours may make people fear. So, how to stop howling of aatma is the real question
Old 15th January 2020, 19:20   #774
Senior - BHPian

The howling could actually be due to the dogs sensing cat Aura. Since at one time they had around 12 cats. I have heard that Aura stays for long and can influence others within the zone.
Old 15th January 2020, 19:58   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I don't think anyone is scared of aatma too, but aatma howling at unearthly hours may make people fear. So, how to stop howling of aatma is the real question
The aatma isnt howling man. Its the damn dogs!

Unless they are dog aatmas?
Old 15th January 2020, 20:35   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In any case we have hanuman chalisa and kandar shasti kavasam, our Muslim brothers will recite Ayat ul kursi (etc) so I am sure we will all survive the experience to post updates to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Quote:
The aatma isnt howling man. Its the damn dogs!
Unless they are dog aatmas?
Possible, the lost soul of a dog run over by a car, or carried away by the municipality etc might be doing its nightly rounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
The howling could actually be due to the dogs sensing cat Aura. Since at one time they had around 12 cats. I have heard that Aura stays for long and can influence others within the zone.
Now this is not as likely. Excited barking and chasing sounds will surely ensue rather than howling noises.
Old 16th January 2020, 00:36   #777
BHPian

We have always had pet dogs at our home and there are 6 at present. Sometimes they howl when they hear some other dog/dogs howling. A dog's hearing ability is far better than humans so it might be possible they are howling in sync with a dog so far away that probably you might not hear it. They howl even when they hear little babies crying, loud music playing, temple bells, or even when someone keeps ringing the door bell and well at other instances as well.

That said sometimes they do howl in a skeptical manner that can be attributed to paranormal activity. At times during night when suddenly strong breeze starts flowing, or when suddenly everything goes dead quiet. Maybe they get scared of the sudden unexplained weather change too, but I doubt it. There have been several incidents when either they howled at moments when even I felt uneasy suddenly, or when during night I would wake up for no reason and just moments later they would start howling, or when someone would die in the neighborhood and we would get to know about it next day, though that can be linked to people crying acting as a trigger, and during other unexplained scenarios and such things have happened numerous times now to call it just a coincidence or random behavior so I would without a doubt relate it with paranormal. Even the howling is different at that time, it is not the usual long distance community howling, but is sudden, in sync and it lasts for a minute or two, also it's deep and frightening almost.

My OnePlus 6 froze while typing this message, quite a paranormal behaviour for it though dog's didn't howl so it must've been the hardware or the IB guy.

I would recommend the youtube channel 'Nuke's Top 5' for those who are looking to experience the rush through watching paranormal activities, best time to watch it is when you are in bed at night. Helps me in sleeping when I can't.

Last edited by wrongturn : 16th January 2020 at 00:49.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 01:23   #778
BHPian

I would also take this opportunity to share a 'Spooky' incident.

I went to Kasauli with 2 of my friends, Ashok and Rahul in 2015. Rahul has been to Kasauli many times, so he was showing us around as I was driving. We came to an abandoned house under a Banyan tree and he told us that it was haunted so we shouldn't wait too long around it.

Soon it was evening and we checked-in in a hotel. We rented a three bed room, it had a double bed and a separate single bed, which I claimed. We were very tired and wanted to sleep asap.

I remember though my eyes were closed that I felt or saw something come floating through the door heading towards the double bed where my friends were sleeping, I thought it was just in my head but as soon as it got to the rear end of their bed Rahul screamed "leave me....let go of my leg" (in hindi) and that's when I realized that it just wasn't in my head. I got up in a hurry, thinking it's an actual person and went for it but didn't see anybody, turned on the lights to see the absolutely frightened white faces of my friends. Ashok was scared and Rahul was terrified. To make things worse I told them that I saw something or someone coming in so he just wasn't dreaming it. Ashok even opened the door and checked the hallway to see if someone was actually messing with us. I than joked about how someone from the abandoned house came to take Rahul, but they weren't amused. We talked about an hour and it took a while to make them go to sleep as I stayed awake in the bed staring at the door and eventually I fell asleep too, but we still laugh about it even now.

Last edited by wrongturn : 16th January 2020 at 01:31.
wrongturn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 11:09   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I than joked about how someone from the abandoned house came to take Rahul, but they weren't amused.
So, what is the inference here? Was it just a joke or is it really "someone or some thing" that came and scared you guys?
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 22:34   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

As ample clarification I am not into ghosts or the paranormal in any way. Though I understand that some experiences cannot be explained away with physics and chemistry. My father died at 11:54PM on a certain day many years ago. As providing hospice care was easier at our home my mother & he shifted in with us during the last few months of his life. Their apartment lay locked up for several months. After his passing away I took an army of servants to open up and clean the house. I found his wrist watch there. It had stopped - battery had died. The time was 11:54!! - not 11:55 but exactly 11:54. I do not know which day it stopped working.The wrist watch went to the buildings chowkidar who wears it to this day.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed