Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 08:48   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

re: IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have run into quite a few colleagues over years who boast about their IIT pedigree within the first minute. Only when I dig deeper they reluctantly admit their BE/B.Tech was from somewhere else.
What is wrong in doing masters in IIT after a basic degree in some other college?
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:17   #467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is wrong in doing masters in IIT after a basic degree in some other college?
Nothing wrong. But people do it mostly for pedigree. IITians are highly regarded because of B.Tech graduates, the ones who fought their way in through ultra competitive JEE. But when somebody does just M.Tech or PhD in IIT, they too get to claim they are IITians. But the industry knows the difference, that they are not cut from the same cloth. Therefore, whenever somebody starts boasting about their IIT heritage, we always check which degree. Thanks to linkedin, now we can check it quietly.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:45   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Nothing wrong, just that JEE is tougher than GATE. Thats why B. Tech is valued more.
Old 23rd July 2013, 10:00   #469
Team-BHP Support

There are many who may have wanted to pursue CS/EE, but just because they got a JEE rank which does not get them the dept they need, they move on to other decently good colleges (eg REC or the like). For every pedigree seeker there is also good proportion, who have had a very good non IIT Btech (CS or non CS). Such people also end up in IITs for masters and for a genuine reason.

With regards to CS, as I mentioned earlier, the line between Computer Science and IT has been blurred beyond edge recovery. Hence the problem magnifies.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd July 2013 at 10:18.
Old 23rd July 2013, 11:36   #470
BHPian

Keep in mind quite a few seats for MTech and PhD programmes in IITs are reserved for UGC Quality Improvement Programme (QIP) faculty candidates. Earlier to my understanding, GATE was not a requirement for these candidates, dont know whether the rules has changed now.

See this link from Indian Express.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ai...e-phds/764146/
Old 23rd July 2013, 19:17   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Woof, woof... What is BTP? I think SG is referring to M.Tech kennel.
BTP = B.Tech project. Typically done in the final year and contributes to a lot of credits.
Old 24th July 2013, 10:15   #472
BANNED

@TKMCE; afaik all sponsored candidates are covered. However, no stipends for them.
Old 25th July 2013, 23:25   #473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
not all may be able to afford a computer, and even if they could they may not have had access to multiple computers (at the same location) to try rigging them up together.
Today was the final demo, and 6 girls showed up with 3 latest model laptops required for the demo. Yes, they had figured out how to rig up the network using the wifi hotspot from a HTC phone. I guess that will put them ahead of most of their classmates. They will be graduating in 2015.

They successfully established communication between two IP phones, directly at first and then through an IP PBX. One laptop had the IP PBX, the other two laptops had the soft IP phones. Then they had Wireshark running on all laptops to analyse the SIP messages that were flowing around. There was no programming involved, what else can be done in a 10 day internship.

Among them only one had the making of an engineer. I suspect she did all the work of researching, learning and configuring the setup. Rest were only going through the motion, and looked eager to forget all this once their certificate is given. They seemed to be tolerating technology instead of getting exciting by it.

Anyway, I gave them some idea about the industry. I told them 80% IT jobs are clerical and just 20% requires a keen engineering mind. That ratio becomes 90:10 in services companies. They looked worried at the term clerical, so I clarified that they will be still known as engineers and will make similar salary if not higher. I am only worried about one potential engineer among them, I sincerely hope she will make to the 20% and not wasted among the 80%.
Old 25th July 2013, 23:38   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing wrong. But people do it mostly for pedigree. IITians are highly regarded because of B.Tech graduates, the ones who fought their way in through ultra competitive JEE. But when somebody does just M.Tech or PhD in IIT, they too get to claim they are IITians. But the industry knows the difference, that they are not cut from the same cloth. Therefore, whenever somebody starts boasting about their IIT heritage, we always check which degree. Thanks to linkedin, now we can check it quietly.
It sounds like you as an employer prefer the pedigree as well, which makes it a self fulfilling prophecy.
Old 25th July 2013, 23:45   #475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
It sounds like you as an employer prefer the pedigree as well, which makes it a self fulfilling prophecy.
What? What made you think so? I only hire from local colleges (4th-tier?). I am totally pedigree agnostic.
Old 25th July 2013, 23:54   #476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What? What made you think so? I only hire from local colleges (4th-tier?). I am totally pedigree agnostic.
Because you said you use linkedin to separate PG from UG IITians.
Old 26th July 2013, 00:02   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Because you said you use linkedin to separate PG from UG IITians.
Wasn't referring to candidates, you seriously think small companies can hire IITians or even NITians? My reference was about people I meet in other circumstances.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:01   #478
BANNED

In IITs the joke is that UG's are better than MTech students, who are better than PhD students. There are a few notable exceptions of course.

When I was doing my MSc in Physics (2 yer, 5 year came later), there were many one semester courses at the PhD level combining the two MSc level courses. These had an advanced prefix! When a newly appointed faculty member inquired as the whether the PhD level course was more advanced, he was told 'no it is lower level'.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th July 2013 at 09:04.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:28   #479
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
In IITs the joke is that UG's are better than MTech students, who are better than PhD students. There are a few notable exceptions of course.
Thanks for the official confirmation. I first suspected it in 1995 when I ran into PhDs and M.Techs from IIT in a major project. Then I had few more encounters in the following years. Finally, a few years back, a friend joined IIT-KGP as professor. He echoed the exact same sentiments as you within months of joining, that confirmed it for me.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:33   #480
BANNED

@Samurai; Why do they join MTech - they do not find a job, same for PhD they still do not find a job? So the rest follows. Of course there are a few who want to genuinely do a PhD.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th July 2013 at 09:35.

Most Viewed