Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 10th August 2019, 17:38   #856
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: IT Industry and Employability of Technical Graduates

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I guess this is the correct place to share my experience with the Indian IT industry. Moderators, please delete if this is not related to the topic of discussion.
I was born in a family......... myself to my more successful relatives or friends.
Great post! I am well into retirement (!'m 68) and live a reasonably comfortable (but frequently boring) life. Your post is a pathfinder for many who are starting out. I wish I had had your clarity of thought about yourself!
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2019, 04:08   #857
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone hear about the Lady who was an M Tech Computer science who could not answer what an Error 404 was on KBC? She had to use an audience poll to answer it!
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:01   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I wonder if anybody has talked about the Pay -
The entry level pay for IT engineer has been stagnant for the past 20 years.
I can tell you that it is still better than most non-IT sectors.
Perhaps it has stagnated because there are exponentially more people in your market every year and that is keeping the prices (salaries) down.

Quote:
My Brother in law, by the way, considers his IT job as a temporary arrangement for pocket money to prepare for exams until he gets an MBA or goes for Mtech abroad.
When I joined my Job, I was in it for the long term as a career. Nowadays, kids know there is no such thing, and there is no commitment.
That is because they have access to easy money of their parents. So most don't realize the time, dedication and some kind of sacrifice/compromise required in order to excel and hence keep jumping ships at the least hint of discomfort.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:31   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I can tell you that it is still better than most non-IT sectors.
Perhaps it has stagnated because there are exponentially more people in your market every year and that is keeping the prices (salaries) down.
I heard from my cousin doing his engineering that Accenture has hiked the salary for freshers. Any idea about the other companies? To give a ballpark figure, they offered a 3.3L CTC in 2014, which in my passing out batch was revised to 3.5L But now I hear that they have made it 5Lpa. Though it is quite average, I wonder why the sudden jump.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 12:36   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I wonder why the sudden jump.
Means they are going to fire experienced folks doing the same job for 10-15 L salary.
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2019, 14:22   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I wonder if anybody has talked about the Pay -
The entry level pay for IT engineer has been stagnant for the past 20 years.
Not sure if this is true in general. When I started my first job with a reputed IT company in Technopark back in 2000, the pay was INR 78000 per year. But then there were significant hikes given, and our salaries almost tripled in the next 2 years, fresher salaries also saw an good increase.

If I run this figure of 78000 through an INR inflation calculator, it is equivalent to 2.5 lakhs as on today. Most of the starting salaries of IT firms are now 3.5L or above.

If we are talking about starting salaries for the last 15 years, then it is probably a different case, as the fresh graduate salary in 2005 (adjusted to Inflation) might be more closer to the current starting salaries in most IT companies.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd September 2019 at 14:30.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote