Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 22:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

How I almost bought a car, not once but thrice!!

We have never owned a car before. And neither were we interested in buying one until a puerile talk with friends turned serious and I decided that I must ask dad to buy one for our self. After his initial argument about the need of a small car/sedan for the family,he finally relented to my demands. I started hunting in june. I always wanted a scorpio and finally my long standing dream was about to be fulfilled.I have zero knowledge about cars,about it's maintenance or for that matter to decide whether I need a petrol or a diesel. I was simply following my heart-wanted a scorpio and was going to buy it,to hell with the maintenance,practicality and need of the family. Numerous visits to various used car showroom and I didn't find anything attractive within my reach(budget<4l). And then a visit to Mahindra first choice got me what I was looking for-a black fully loaded 2006 model, done 59k on odo, quoted at 5.65l. All was well and the deal was about to be finalized(negotiated and finally agreed for 5.35 after stretching) and then the unexpected happened, uncle learnt of the deal and asked dad to stop, put some gyan into my head about and convinced me to go for a small car or a sedan.Bad Luck no 1.
Thus began another hunt, now for a sedan(back to the initial budget of less than 4l). After some user reviews on carwale and team-bhp, decided on Chevy Aveo. But on visiting Sundaram Motors, saw a 2004 Optra Lt,well maintained, 42k odo reading quoted at 4l and immediately fell in love with it. As luck would have it,the deal did not happen and the plans were put on hold for sometime.Bad Luck no 2.
Come august and we finally decided against buying a used car and began another new hunt. Round 3-hunt for a brand new sedan. Another round of research and decided on Dzire (dad was particular about Maruthi, thanks to it's famed A.S.S, low cost of maintenance and resale value). Did a test drive and everyone liked it. We finally decided to book, it was almost September end. The dealer(Sagar automobiles, we know him) told us he could get the car in less than a week. So we decided to buy it in January next year, after all it was only a matter of waiting 3 months. October month,Bad Luck no 3. Due to some urgent financial commitment, the car money was used and buying a car has been put on hold infinitely.
Does it hurt? Yes, it does. Hurts a lot, especially when it's your first car and you are so near to buying one. I am sure, many of you have been through similar situations. No amount of consoling has helped me, I am shattered. Thought would share it here, as only a car lover can understand the pain of a fellow car lover. As for now, I have to be content watching other cars ply on the road.
PS: Mods, move the thread if its posted in the wrong section.
Old 21st November 2009, 22:59   #2
~~h
BHPian

It's painful, Incident 3 happened with me as well... So the Verna booking got downsized to a Getz Prime GVS. :(
Old 21st November 2009, 23:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sachin , your move is right but in the wrong direction . Getting a 4 + lakhs second hand car is foolishness . Believe me since this is your first car you don't want to be spending on maintenance and fuel bills . More over if you are spending 4 + lakh why go for second hand .

If you have 4 lakhs in hand , go a old zen mpfi or baleno for under 3 lakhs and still have 1 pr 2 lakhs remaining in hand.

Dont buy a second hand car for 4 + range . Once you get a hang of the car and its running ,you can always upgrade for a little more .

Last edited by black12rr : 21st November 2009 at 23:11.
Old 22nd November 2009, 00:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ black12rr
True, but when moolah is gone, everything else is also gone.
Old 22nd November 2009, 01:59   #5
Awaiting Email Confirmation

When things don't go my way, my mom always tells me that God has planned something better for me. Whatever God does to us is for our own good only. Maybe you would have been involved in a car accident if you would've bought that car (that's how i would console myself). So luckily, you escaped. Cheers :-)
Old 22nd November 2009, 02:27   #6
BHPian

Sachinbhai,
I am sure this is one of God's plans.So just believe and trust in him completely.If he wills, your fortunes can change overnight.Also i suggest you not to compromise.Wait till you can buy your dream car.Meanwhile plan how you are going to make that money.I am sure you yourself can find the way.May god bless you.

Last edited by Dippy : 22nd November 2009 at 17:30. Reason: Avoid quoting a long post when replying. Makes it difficult for other members to read.
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:33   #7
BHPian

Before I bought my car I went to number of used car dealers and show rooms... My wife got irritated so much that she refused to come with me any more... Almost bought an Opel corsa royale from classic automobiles ... second time I backed out after paying 2K advance for a used Ford ikon ... my reasons were different like some immediate travel plans for the first one and the fear to buy a used car for the ford...

This took almost a year and half, then one fine day went to the Advaith Hyundai and booked an i10. So just wait for your turn.
Old 22nd November 2009, 14:59   #8
BANNED

Don't be disheartened buddy, your parents knows the priorities in life well and don't blame anybody for the events which happened.

At your age i was also dreaming one (a Bike) but was not able to get permission from my parents due to the commitments in life.

Looking back to the past now i'm saying, YES my parents were right , they provided me good education and other things which was the priority to them at that stage compromising their own dreams.

For me being from a middle-class family owing a CAR was always a dream.

Just wait for your turn.
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:04   #9
BHPian

Yeah, I can relate.
Was searching for a used car for more than 4 years. Friends used to joke abt my fastidious attitude.
But then I got a car which has converted the "friends who used to tease" to jealous-friends!
On a related note... My OHC AT has started giving my FE of 14. But just read that someone has posted FE of 20 kmpl for his HC. Need to check whether I can cross the 15kmpl barrier.
Old 22nd November 2009, 19:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Don't lose hope dude. Your's is just waiting period of 3-4 months. mine is from past 3 yrs and still having a dream of owning one after my home loan gets completed. So just to quench my thrist i drive my dad's Matiz and my relatives Dezire. So by next year end i will be having either Scorpio/Safari in my stable and this one i have made a promise to myself.
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
your parents knows the priorities in life well
Damn true. Who else know better than them? Yes, buying a car got postponed, so what?Life does not end here. Being 20, I have an entire promising life ahead of me. If not today, I will get a car morrow. And set backs/disappointment happen to everyone, it's just that it happened to me when i am 20. Damn, so be it.

OT: Blogs are a effective way of venting out your frustration/emotions. After all these encouraging replies, I actually feel better.
Old 22nd November 2009, 21:01   #12

[quote=sam_boy;1595121].. and the fear to buy a used car for the ford...

Hello, I just bought a Ford Ikon diesel for 4.17lac from Ford India. Its one of the two cars used for AUTOCAR cross country drive (done about 25k and the "cross country stickers" are still on the car) and I bought it through my friend working in Ford. Do you think I've paid too much? But its 2009 model and a car offered for press, I guess it should be good. Should I watch for specific troubles with used Ford cars? Thanks.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Don't feel too bad, sachin, I can understand your pain, but let me remind you that all things come for those who wait. Maybe you will end up buying a Honda City or a Corolla next year.
Old 27th November 2009, 21:26   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guys, new twist to kahani, booked a swift dzire vdi( silver colour) yesterday. Dad said he could manage and decided not to stall our decision of buying the car. Car is expected to be home by mid jan.
Few questions,
1. Though our monthly running is very less, we decided to buy a diesel. Should I run the car every day, say for a small round around the streets? Or is it enough if i just the crank the engine every day?
2. Is it advisable to take the car on a long trip during run in period?
3. What are the general precautions to be taken to run and maintain a diesel car?
4. Some one please help me to decode maruti vin.
5. Asked the dealer to inform me once the car arrives at the stock yard, told him to register only after I approve the car(haven't signed form 20). What all do I need to check before approving the car for registering(searched the forums on guide for checklist before approval for registration, didn't find any) ?

Last edited by sachinj12 : 27th November 2009 at 21:32. Reason: Extra questions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks