Team-BHP - Shifting to Bangalore - Car Registration Reg
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Shifting to Bangalore - Car Registration Reg (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/70342-shifting-bangalore-car-registration-reg.html)

Hi Guys

I am presently a resident of Gurgaon, but moving to Bangalore, as I have got a job there.

I have a Hyundai Accent (2008), which I would be taking with me to Bangalore. As a precation, I thought of getting an NOC from the RTO here, for whcih I was told I needed an NOC from my Bank.

I need some help in terms of a few questions being answered. But before that, a few lines on what I have faced recently, as this will have an impact on the steps I would need to take

Now, when I approached my bank (State Bank of Patiala - I never wanted to take loan from them, but my dealer had a tie up with these guys), for an NOC, there were saying they cannot give me one and if I need an NOC, pay up the loan or sell my car. God, it was like speaking to a bunch of morons. The banker (a very old guy), asked me why I wanted to change my registration and that my car registaration is valid all over the country. He has never heard of the need for changing the car registration and one cannot change unless you clear you loan :Frustrati

Anyway, the branch manager was on leave, so I spoke to another senior guy, but he also said, we cannot give any such document unless you clear your loan. I even called my car dealer from Hyundai who tried to talk some sense into these guys, but it did not work.

So, below are the questions that I need answered.

1. Do I need to change my registration when I come to Bangalore. I am not planning to settle down here and my job is transferable. Macimum I stay is around 1.5 to 2 years in a city. But Gurgaon is my base though.

2. If the bank is not giving any document, how can I get an NOC.

3. What can I tell the cops in Bangalore if they stop me

4. A few people have told me that, it is not required for one year of shifting and I can tell them of my transferable nature of job.

Please advice at the earliest.

Best

Brandon

Bangalore guys will be very disappointed if you do that.... :D

(Read title carefully)

Lol clevermax - that was quick.

Brandon, PM member hrag - he has gone through the "process" in Bangalore RTO - he may be of some help in giving you the correct information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher (Post 1603996)

3. What can I tell the cops in Bangalore if they stop me

4. A few people have told me that, it is not required for one year of shifting and I can tell them of my transferable nature of job.

Please advice at the earliest.

Best

Brandon

You don't need to change your registration, just need to pay the road tax there, for a new car it would be a BOMB. Since you are relocating i think you can ask your employer to payup, most of them do.

You dont need the NOC for paying raod tax. Just send a copy of your RC along with insurance and other details to any of your friends at the RTO and ask them to calculate the road tax amount, you have to issue a draft and this can be done.

Its not true that you can drive arround a complete year without paying up the raod tax. But its true that no one will stop you in bangalore to check your papers unless you have commited some offence, This is a new rule in bangalore and bangalorians can confirm how much of it is implemented. even if they catch you you would not be asked to cough up money immediately, you can payup in 10-15 days time.

Pramod

Mods can change the tittle :D

IMO, when one is taking a car to another state (due to job transfer or business matter), the car has to be transferred in that state within 6 months. Some state,the time limit is for one year. However, your DL taken from gurgaon RTO with your gurgaon residential address?. If yes, then you can take a chance i.e when the cops ask you, you can tell them that you came heer for some Project work purpose and will be keep driving gurgaon / Bangalore regularly:D- this may work some time.

Transferring registration to another state is not that easy and it may take upto 5/6 months to get the vehicle transferred. Besides bank NOC, you may need NOC from Police (certifying that no accident case against the car/you??).

BTW, do you have any automobile association (mumbai has WIAA) in your place? if yes you can go there and they will explain everything in details about this transfer formalities.Even they will do this for you and you may have to pay some fees for the work?

To drive the car aorund in Bangalore for a period which you have mentioned, you may need to pay the road tax for which you will definitely need an NOC from the police. I am not sure if this requires a NOC from the bank as well. You can retain the old registration number if the road tax is paid.

As someone already mentioned, for a 2008 car, the amount which you would need to shell out would be subtantial! For the purpose, you may also require a copy of the original invoice you got when buying the car. If this is a job transfer from your current company, you could ask them to foot the bill for road tax.

The other option would be to take a risk and run the car around here being well-behaved, but pray you dont fall prey to KA cops for any offences.

And yes, welcome to Bangalore.

Hi,

I have gone through this before, so here goes:

1) You don't have to change registration. If you pay up the Karnataka road tax, Karnataka traffic cops will not hassle you.

2) Be sure to take the Delhi RTO NOC before relocating, otherwise you have to pay a huge bribe to get back the money you paid as life time tax. They will cite that you don't have all the papers correct.

3) My car loan company had no issues giving me an NOC. Show your transfer papers to SBP, maybe, they will understand better.

4) The lifetime tax you pay in Karnataka is much higher because they calculate it as the cost of the car in Blore. Then you have to pay additional entry tax or something like that because your car is not older than 48 months. That is approx. 2% of your car value in Bangalore. It varies from state to state. You have to confirm this amount from an agent.

Considering all this, it is better to sell your car and buy a new one in Blore. This was a standard advise that our HR used to dole out if the car is less than 48 months old. Not just money alone, but umpteen hassles.

I can put you on to a RTO agent in Bangalore who is reliable. PM me for his number.

Thanks,

Pradeep

Thanks Guys

Well, I never offend the law at all. Wear my seat belts all the time, within speed limit etc etc.

I dont want to pay Road tax as it is a huge amount and I may probably shift to another state later or back to Gurgaon.

So I plan to drive around in Bangalore without changing my registration or w/o paying tax. Hope this should not be an issue.

As mentioned earlier, I have no intention to settle down in Bangalore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher (Post 1604105)
So I plan to drive around in Bangalore without changing my registration or w/o paying tax. Hope this should not be an issue.

As mentioned earlier, I have no intention to settle down in Bangalore.

Well, I don't think only paying road tax will let the bangalore police off your back.

Just so you are prepared, here's my story.

My parents had a similar scenario to yours. Around 2 years ago, they were in bangalore for about 4 months (and from the start their stint in the city would only be for 4 months).

So they didn't change car registration and nor did we pay road tax. My dad was waved down by bangalore traffic cops almost alternate every day (on seeing the "MH" number plate). Everytime he told them that he is in bangalore for a short time.

The cops wanted to check insurance, registration etc etc and when all were in order, they let him go. After some time some cops started recognizing dad's car and just waved him through.

Just one thing though, keep all your documents in order - RC book, insurance, PUC, tax certificates etc and be prepared to add 15 mins to every car journey you undertake for police checks :)

Yup. I have all my documents in order.

The sad thing was that I was prepared to get it done, but the stupid guys at the bank are refusing to give me the NOC. I guess without this, I would jot be able to get a transfer nw would I?

Please advice on this. Is it required to get an NOC from a bank.

You chill, PM me offline. You can manage all of this with minimum fuss. Just needs practicality and street smarts

There is a KA high court order which states that road tax needs to be paid only if you are using your vehicle in KA for a period more than 11 months. Infact, some body was fined for not paying road tax and this guy filed a case in district court where the judge ruled in his favour. Against this, the transport dept filed an appeal in High Court and then the High Court also upheld the jidgement of the district court that road tax needs to be paid only after 11 months ( when you are legally bound by law to change the registration, owing to continuous use of a vehicle outside its state of registration)

You can search the forum to find the link to this thread which explains this case.

Hence,what I follow is, keep a copy of this judgment in hand just in case any one stops you,besides getting a PUC check from my home state once every 6 months ( as I drive very often to Kerala).

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher (Post 1604105)
Thanks Guys

Not advisable sir. Especially since you're from Gurgaon and you don't know the local language.

If you'll be in Bangalore only for a year or so, leave you Accent back in Gurgaon and buy a decent enough Honda City or a Maruti Esteem here.
That way, you can sell off this car when you leave Bangalore and still face a loss of only a few thousands or so.

Thanks.

I have been relocated thrice in last 1 year so i have some experinence in this area.
the bank guys are right, they wont issue you a NOC without clearing up the loan, however what they didnot TELL you was
1. you can transfer the loan to a Bangalore branch of SBI
2.get NOC from delhi RTO with those transfer of loan papers
3. pay road tax in KA
4. live happily ever after

Thanks Dr. Abhijeet. Even I was considering the same thing.

The only problem is once I shift to Bangalore, I am not sure I would get the time to go back again and chase the RTO for the NOC.

Thanks Joe Cherian, would be great if you can provide me the link to that ruling