God exists only in the human mind. 23 8.13%
Maybe there is something not definable by man. 93 32.86%
There is nothing such as GOD. 37 13.07%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2008, 23:02   #76
Senior - BHPian

Anyone's read "A short history of nearly everything". Would give a sense of perspective of where we came from and probably where we are headed.

I don't believe in God and I don't want anyone to stuff it up my throat. :-)

However, the teachings of any/every religion is almost lost. Do your duty. Do not expect rewards for what you do. Do good to others. Do not overspeed. :-)
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Option 2 and 4 are almost the same in the basic logical sense. You see, even if one did not believe in the existence of God, he would still exist, if only in someone's mind. Even if it was someone else's mind.

In fact if option 4 was valid, there would be no poll would there?
Sam, I think you are correct 2&4 are the same. Beyond that I do not think you are saying that because we have a concept of something that this alone confirms its existence. We have the concept "unicorn" but there are no unicorns. In English when we speak of the concept itself it is to be put in quotes. Thus the proposition that there are no unicorns is true. While the proposition there are no "unicorns" is false.
Old 23rd January 2008, 03:02   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
We have the concept "unicorn" but there are no unicorns. In English when we speak of the concept itself it is to be put in quotes. Thus the proposition that there are no unicorns is true. While the proposition there are no "unicorns" is false.
this thing went above my head. could you please explain a bit more?
Old 23rd January 2008, 10:14   #79
BHPian

yes i do believe in god i see them every day, my parents.....one doesn't need to go to the temple and pray it can also be done by heart and i also believe good health is godly
Old 23rd January 2008, 17:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Option 2 and 4 are almost the same in the basic logical sense. You see, even if one did not believe in the existence of God, he would still exist, if only in someone's mind. Even if it was someone else's mind. In fact if option 4 was valid, there would be no poll would there?
Good point. The way I see it, there should have been four options.

1. Atheist: I'm 100% sure god doesn't exist in the form we imagine him to be, but I'm willing to change my mind if faced with concrete proof of evidence to the contrary.

2. Agnostic: I'm sure we'll never know whether a god (or multiple gods) exist or not, so I can't commit either way — some things are beyond human comprehension.

3. Weak believer: I don't like to pi$$ off my family and friends, so I go along with the flow. Belief in god has never harmed me, so why should I rock the boat?

4. Strong believer: God created us and the universe with a definite purpose and I believe in the veracity of my holy book(s) implicitly. My faith is more important to me than any logic.

I feel most of us here will fall into categories 2 and 3. I'm in category 1 myself, but I'm willing to change my views in the face of new evidence. We all know which category the likes of Osama and George Bush belong to.
Old 23rd January 2008, 22:43   #81
BHPian

God = Nature = God

forces of nature are what we have over time made into god/s. our culture worships all the forces of nature, other living beings and objects too.

any force or power when given a human face helps in better understanding and connection with that force. hence we have given a face for the god of each force of nature. and since these forces cannot be contained or controlled by humans, they are respected and feared and hence man's fear and respect for nature, aka god.

i was a weak believer until i saw the aftermath of the tsunami a few years back. what got me most was seeing so many babies & children killed and so many more orphaned. no god (as we know and define now) will allow this to happen.
Old 23rd January 2008, 23:55   #82
BHPian

It might sound OT, but I just finished reading "A Certain Ambiguity - A mathematical novel". It describes a fictional dialog between an atheist mathematician charged for condemning religion and a strong believer Judge. In the end both of them come out changed men with their respective believes shaken.

On a personal level I am of belief that a higher power exists but I am not overtly religious and most of the times the one to oppose ostentatious religious processions.
Old 17th June 2008, 10:18   #83
BHPian

Sorry for having brought up this topic yet again.

I am here to inquire from those who believe in Khatu Shyamji about their experiences about Baba Shyam. I won't mind discussing this over pms also.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

Popularly it is like this:
Where the road and reach of science ends, the road to go God opens.
I believe in God. I have a lot of personal things that I can write, but its not possible.

God exists. Its all about faith.

@Samurai:
When once we were returning from Dakor ( a popular pilgrim place approx 80 km from Vadodara ), our M800 gave some trouble. The help came up the problem was some insect had entered and was not allowing fan to freely spin.

We took it like this:
As we were coming from a pilgrim place the blow of sword was converted in to just a pinch of needle.

This is all about Faith and nothing more.
Old 17th June 2008, 11:59   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan View Post
i was a weak believer until i saw the aftermath of the tsunami a few years back. what got me most was seeing so many babies & children killed and so many more orphaned. no god (as we know and define now) will allow this to happen.
Brother, I believe in Islam and I used to wonder why calamities happen on us.

I will give the explanation for this from Quran. All the good and bad are from God, nothing can happen in this world without his wish. Then why do calamities and bad things happen? When humans choose their way of living, which is not the right way, god will punish them with calamities. These are indeed signs of displeasure from God about the current state of affairs. Earth is a testing place for humans. People will be paid according to their deeds, in this life or in the life after death (heaven or hell).
Old 17th June 2008, 12:09   #86
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I asked this question 29 years ago the first time and still have no clue

In the meantime I have realised its more important to care for all things animate and inanimate around you and be a responsible human being. It seems to work fine and allows me to be happier and more content. The original query continues though
Old 17th June 2008, 12:17   #87
Team-BHP Support

@PatienceWins:

God does not give you the right to judge his actions.

>god will punish them with calamities

A good read on Islam and the Islamic view on Calamity
Islam Question and Answer - The believer’s attitude towards calamities

No offense meant or intended.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
3. Weak believer: I don't like to pi$$ off my family and friends, so I go along with the flow. Belief in god has never harmed me, so why should I rock the boat?
Very well described. I belong to this bucket.

However, imagine how things will change once two things happen:

1. We are able to create life form artificially
2. We are able to take backups of mind [thoughts/skills/memories]

And these are no longer science fiction things. For #1 artificial cell has been created, for #2 experiments on rats have begun and maybe this will happen in next few decades.

From my point of view, definition of science and spirituality might merge at that point. Since then with knowledge we will be able to "create" things.
Old 17th June 2008, 12:36   #89
BHPian

Quote:

4. Strong believer: God created us and the universe with a definite purpose and I believe in the veracity of my holy book(s) implicitly. My faith is more important to me than any logic.
I'm a strong believer of GOD. He is supreme over all creations
Old 17th June 2008, 13:20   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@PatienceWins:

God does not give you the right to judge his actions.

>god will punish them with calamities

A good read on Islam and the Islamic view on Calamity
Islam Question and Answer - The believer’s attitude towards calamities

No offense meant or intended.
You have got me wrong brother.My point was that everything in this world happens according the will of god and he knows the best. Reference from the link you have posted.

<<The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “When Allaah wills good for His slave, He hastens the punishment for him in this world, and when Allaah wills ill for His slave, he withholds the punishment for his sins from him until he comes with all his sins on the Day of Resurrection.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (2396); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.>>
Closed Thread

Most Viewed