Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2013, 08:10   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

I just learnt that ISCE XI Std admissions application forms would be issued from april 1, 2013 for a week only at St Joseph's Boys' High School , Bangalore.

Please obtain one in time.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:09   #242
Team-BHP Support

I hate schools that treat parents like cattle. You can usually identify them by their admission process. For example, parents standing in queue for days in front of the school for the application. I remember when my older son was ready of Kindergarten, my cousins and my wife took turns standing in line for 6-7 hours since midnight. Still they barely made it since most parents were in queue since previous night. This was many months before the school start, so I hadn't yet returned to India.

However, after an interview with an extremely arrogant head-mistress, my wife came back saying she doesn't want to put the kid there even if he secures an admission. Fortunately, our application was rejected and we were spared the dilemma. I say fortunately because I wouldn't have been able to sustain the nonsense that would have followed. We had a relative whose kid did get admission to the same school. And she was getting called to the school regularly and yelled at by the head-mistress for really silly reasons.

After that we stuck to schools (he has been through 4 schools since then) who were polite and professional during the admission process, with no overnight long lines for application. Naturally, our later experience with those schools were pleasant too.

The Moral of the Story: Any school that treats parents like trash during admission time, will continue to do so as long as your kid studies there. Avoid schools with incredibly arrogant attitude, no matter how much reputation they have. They simply lack ethics, and are unfit to mold your kids. Also, such schools will completely smother your kids in the name of compliance and discipline.

Now, why did I remember this incidence after 9 years? Because of this news: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...efund-fee.html

Glad to see somebody was able to give it back to that school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Like to differ here,Yes they do require original certificates as per rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Schools do keep the original with them and the transfer certificate or something else they issue will have the date of birth mentioned.
According to whose rules? Surely not the government rules. My son is in his 4th school in 9 years, and none have demanded original birth certificate. Besides, we would have refused if they did. His has US birth certificate, and I can't get another unless I visit US.
Old 20th March 2013, 10:43   #243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I am in the process of finalizing admission for my daughter in a school. I have a question regarding documents requested. The school requires Original birth certificate to be submitted to them. They are going to retain the same. Is this normal practice? This document could be required by various different agencies in future and I don't trust the schools to retain the document in good shape. Any alternatives?
Well Thats the practice relevant in schools in Mumbai/Thane atleast AFAIK. I recently changed my Son's school and I was asked the original birth certificate which I submitted since I had a spare one. The first original I had submitted in my son's previous school which will be returned back to me along with the refundable deposit. I will still have one original birth certificate. Meanwhile my father in law approched the Pune Municipal Corporation authorities and quoting the earlier reference no managed to get two more copies (sorry Originals) of the same.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:37   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Now, why did I remember this incidence after 9 years? Because of this news: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...efund-fee.html

Glad to see somebody was able to give it back to that school.
I found quote from certain Mr. S Bolar founder of the school in question to be funny and full of obnoxiousness . He says
"No one forced the man to admit his son to the school. It is a process everyone has followed here and will in future. The forum should honour the mandate of the school rather than looking at schools as agents who fleece parents. We will refund the fees once we receive the order,”

Now whose norms and process ? A process set by you to fill your own pocket.

It's high time that owners of these education shops educate themselves first about
the law. He still wants to follow his process in future and fleece others despite verdict of consumer forum which is a legal entity equivalent to a primary civil court.

I think schools such as Innisfree House School needs to be boycotted.

Last edited by amitk26 : 20th March 2013 at 11:39.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:02   #245
BHPian

I second Samurai. I detest schools that have admission queues starting days before the actual admission starts. If the principal is not polite to the parents, he/she is not going to be any better with the teachers and the teachers are going to pass it on the kids. I don't want my kid to be rich and famous and all rounder. Let him become what he's destined to and I shall play my role in it and let the schools play their role.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:41   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
He still wants to follow his process in future and fleece others despite verdict of consumer forum which is a legal entity equivalent to a primary civil court.
It is a she... I guess it is the same head-mistress my wife encountered 9 years back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innisfr...nder_principal
Old 20th March 2013, 12:56   #247
Senior - BHPian

I think in our country if you tell beforehand that you will not refund the money, its legal
No one checks if the procedures adopted are fair. So anyone can formulate any procedure and will stick to it.
Old 20th March 2013, 15:29   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I think in our country if you tell beforehand that you will not refund the money, its legal
No one checks if the procedures adopted are fair. So anyone can formulate any procedure and will stick to it.
This lady wishes that Counsumer Forum should abide by her wishes and rules rather then she following the verdict which is hilarious.

I just wish District Consumer Forum initiates contempt of court proceedings against this lady for her utterances. Section 27 of Consumer protection Act empowers District Consumer Courts to initiate same proceddings as civil court, They can impose penalty of imprisonment ranging from 1 month to 3 years along with fine for not abiding by the order of forum.

It's just thta District consumer forums have not exercised their power till date and since word court is not there in the name so people take it too lightly.
Old 20th March 2013, 20:00   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I found quote from certain Mr. S Bolar founder of the school in question to be funny and full of obnoxiousness.

I think schools such as Innisfree House School needs to be boycotted.
She has the audacity to say that her unfair practices are rules all parents need to follow (in future too. What cheeks!).

Unlike what Samuari did, many parents including me don't have the courage to stand up to such schools which is why such institutions thrive.
Old 20th March 2013, 20:12   #250
BHPian

Hi. My 2year10month old son admission is in process as I have received the letter for an interview with the father of the school. Now my son has barely started talking and we are trying for his admission into school. He will complete 3yrs in may hence gets eligible for admission.
Now my question is what do they normally ask kids in an interview? He knows one or two colors, a few animal names and little bit of alphabets and numbers. Some kids start speaking early some late like my son so don't know if this will have an impact on the admission process! So anything particular I need to make my son know on this?
Old 20th March 2013, 20:55   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Unlike what Samuari did, many parents including me don't have the courage to stand up to such schools which is why such institutions thrive.
Actually, I didn't have to do anything since the admission was rejected. We got accepted in another school where the head-mistress was very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwift1819 View Post
Now my question is what do they normally ask kids in an interview? He knows one or two colors, a few animal names and little bit of alphabets and numbers. Some kids start speaking early some late like my son so don't know if this will have an impact on the admission process! So anything particular I need to make my son know on this?
Don't try to teach your kid anything for the interview. If the priest is expecting the child to know a lot, then that's a wrong school, like Innisfree which expected the child to be very compliant.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:45   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More than the children, its the parents who are often grilled with questions more than the child. Questions mostly circling around their educational background and how deep are their pockets. Asking the child a few questions is a mere formality.

These days the schools want the students to know a lot before hand so that their teaching stress is reduced and they dont have to answer the parent's questions at the end of the year. When I recently questioned the admission fee charged by the school for a new admission, they cheekily replied it was for the infrastructure update like getting Educomp style teaching aids.
Old 21st March 2013, 11:37   #253
BHPian

Fellow BHPians at Bangalore - your help required. I am moving to Bangalore shortly and hence in the process of looking at schools for admitting my daughter who would be eligible for Sr.KG admission. I believe that the regular admission time for most schools in Bangalore is now over and hence admissions may not be easy. Would like feedback on the following schools which I have shortlisted for admissions. Personal experience / feedback would be appreciated.
1. DPS Bangalore South (Sarjapur Rd.)
2. Bethany School . Koramangala
3. National Public School - Yelahanka
4. Aditi Mallya School - Yelahanka
5. Frank Anthony Public School - Ulsoor

PS : I would be deciding my place of residence based on proximity to school.
Old 21st March 2013, 12:58   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Fellow BHPians at Bangalore - your help required. I am moving to Bangalore shortly and hence in the process of looking at schools for admitting my daughter who would be eligible for Sr.KG admission. I believe that the regular admission time for most schools in Bangalore is now over and hence admissions may not be easy. Would like feedback on the following schools which I have shortlisted for admissions. Personal experience / feedback would be appreciated.
1. DPS Bangalore South (Sarjapur Rd.)
2. Bethany School . Koramangala
3. National Public School - Yelahanka
4. Aditi Mallya School - Yelahanka
5. Frank Anthony Public School - Ulsoor

PS : I would be deciding my place of residence based on proximity to school.
For the upcoming academic year, I enrolled my daughter to Vibgyor High at Horamavu for 1st Std. You might want to consider this school too. Check the reviews in the following link:
http://www.parentree.in/BalaJana/jou...-Horamavu.html
Old 21st March 2013, 13:22   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi. My 2year10month old son admission is in process as I have received the letter for an interview with the father of the school. Now my son has barely started talking and we are trying for his admission into school. He will complete 3yrs in may hence gets eligible for admission.
Just an observation since you say your son is going to be 3yrs in May,which means he would be 3yrs,1month in June'13 and 6yrs only in June'16.I hope you are aware that as per the rules which are being followed rigorously by schools across the country,a child would need to complete 6yrs by the time he enters Class1.Since you havent mentioned which class is he going into,if its Nursery followed by LKG and UKG,it might just be fine,else you might want to reconfirm with your school on the age matter.

Most Viewed