Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2013, 22:30   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Thanks NPV.
I did check on Vibgyor and trying to go there personally to find out about the school and premises. Chinmaya needs to be checked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Additionally, from quick search on the net I also found JSS, Chinmaya Vidya Mandira and Vibgyor so these may be options as well.
Two more schools around HSR/Sarjapur:

New-Horizon Gurukul (ORR)
Greenwood High (Sarjapur Road)

Vibgyor High at Haralur road (HSR extn) has a decent campus.
But you need to be careful about the access road to the school.
Old 28th March 2013, 02:23   #272
BHPian

My kid will turn 2 in few months time & seeing the back-to-back posts here looks like parents have to struggle a lot. Can anyone explain here on what education path should i take for my kid? Specially what things to plan in advance?

As i see it, at the age of 2, enroll the child in a play school nearby.

Q1: At what age should the child be enrolled for LKG / UKG?
Q2: At what should the child be enrolled for a normal 1st class to 12th class type schools?

I have no clue on the school system nowadays so any pointers will be of much help.
Old 28th March 2013, 08:25   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I have no clue on the school system nowadays so any pointers will be of much help.
What I have typically seen :

- For KV schools, the kid should have completed 5 for first standard
- For almost all public schools, the requirement is to complete 6 for first std.
(Some how I dont know why there is no consistency here)

Going by the second bracket where most fall:

- You should start sending your kid to a play school at 2. That way the kid would start socially associating with different people and friends and would be ready for pre-KG or Montessori-1.
- At three you start with Mont 1/Pre-KG which continues for 2 more years (Mont-3) before first std.
- So after you start with playschool say this acedemic year, you should start looking for forms around Aug/Sep onwards for the next year. By Jan/Feb most school admission process is complete.
- After one year of Montessori, if you want to change school, you can also shift to KG system where the kid at 4 goes to UKG.
- If you are permanently settled in a place, it would be good if you can lock a school which has all the way till 12th. That completes the trouble in the first round itself. Else its a pain for the kid to write tests.
- I know finding a school in a single step without having to change, may not work for all, but it would be good to close it this way.

Last edited by ampere : 28th March 2013 at 08:27.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:19   #274
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- For KV schools, the kid should have completed 5 for first standard
- For almost all public schools, the requirement is to complete 6 for first std.
(Some how I dont know why there is no consistency here)
I think most (maybe all infact) schools require the child to have completed 5yrs and 8 months as of June 1, the beginning of the school academic year.

Quote:
- You should start sending your kid to a play school at 2
- I know finding a school in a single step without having to change, may not work for all, but it would be good to close it this way.
Play schools - no age criterion mostly since the're not even considered pre-primary schools.

To summarise, there are 2 main types of pre-primary schools (prior to Class 1)-those that follow the Montessori system and those that don't (Kindertgarten/KG).
In the Mont system the entry criteria for Mont-1 is that the child needs to have completed 2 yrs 8 months to 3 years as on 1st June of the academic year.
In the KG system the entry criteria for LKG/Nursery is that the child needs to have completed 3 years 8 months as on 1st June of the academic year.

Hence, children from both systems will be almost same age at Class 1.

Last edited by NPV : 28th March 2013 at 11:29.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:39   #275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think most (maybe all infact) schools require the child to have completed 5yrs and 8 months as of June 1, the beginning of the school academic year.
Check this post.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1680523

Quote:
Play schools - no age criterion mostly since the're not even considered pre-primary schools.
+1 But why I said get to play school at 2 is because by the time kid needs to goto Mont/KG, he would have been "acclimatised" !

Quote:
To summarise, there are 2 main types of pre-primary schools (prior to Class 1)-those that follow the Montessori system and those that don't (Kindertgarten/KG).
In the Mont system the entry criteria for Mont-1 is that the child needs to have completed 2 yrs 8 months to 3 years as on 1st June of the academic year.
In the KG system the entry criteria for LKG/Nursery is that the child needs to have completed 3 years 8 months as on 1st June of the academic year.

Hence, children from both systems will be almost same age at Class 1.
I agree. It works out well. But folks who go to KV, many I have seen get through to first std after having completed 5 years.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:39   #276
BHPian

Quote:

Q2: At what should the child be enrolled for a normal 1st class to 12th class type schools?

I have been inquiring with schools here in Hyderabad for nursery admissions. I have seen that the minimum age criteria is specified by CBSE for class 10th and the same when traced back to class 1 comes out to be minimum 5 years 6 months(in the month of june). It is very simple, the way they decide the age criteria for admission is such that all the children born in a calendar year are eligible for the same class. The problem arises when the parents whose children born in Jan-Feb etc(early months) think that their child will be academically an year behind the child who was born in December last year. This is where all the confusion starts. Don't push the child into the system before he/she is ready even if it is for one month, is my opinion. Pushing a kid early into something for which the child is not mentally or physically ready may end up having permanent scar on their psyche which can be in terms of physical bullying from other older children which he/she cannot defend him self or inability to cope up with studies or inability to compete with his classmates on the field. All this can induce a negative mindset and in my opinion is more important(to be avoided) than securing a degree or a job an year earlier.

All the children born in the year 2010(Jan to Dec) are eligible for nursery this year hence for nursery admission the child should have completed minimum age of 2 year 6 months(Dec 2010 born) to 3 yr 6 months(Jan 2010 born) by June 2013.

The criteria is not different for KV and other schools.

The play schools and some pvt. schools are ready to overlook this criteria because they are not getting enough students to run their shop. That's when they are willing to admit students even before they have completed the minimum age prescribed by CBSE. They will have to apply for exemption(as told to me by one of the parents) for not completing the minimum age when they appear for class 10th. My son is Feb-2011 born and hence not eligible for nursery admissions this year but schools are ready to admit him. One of the school's counselor went to the extent of suggesting that I admit him this year(even if he is short of minimum age criteria) and then I make him repeat class 1 so that he has "strong foundation", can you believe this argument!!
The schools which are not typically struggling to get students(mostly termed as reputed schools) usually go by the book.

Last edited by huntrz : 28th March 2013 at 11:57.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:41   #277
Senior - BHPian

Adding to other posts,
Quote:
LKG/Montessori (M2): 3y 10m. Some schools admit at 3y 6m (I think Brigade schools have this). Age calculated as on June 1, or June 30, depending on school.
UKG/M3: 4y 10m
Quote:
1st Standard: 5y 10m.
Quote:
Montessori consists of M1, M2 & M3 stages before class 1. If you are considering Montessori method, then you can enroll to M1 after 2y 10m.

While this is the general norm across schools, Karnataka Govt recognizes 2 types of admission to Class 1:
1) Voluntary - after age 5y as on May 31st
2) Compulsory - after age 5y 10m as on May 31st

Last edited by msdivy : 28th March 2013 at 11:48.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:50   #278
BHPian

I think post 2000 many kids who pass out 10th have already turned 16 yrs+. This was not the case when me and many of my seniors, family, friends all passed out 10th grade before turning 16 years old.
Old 28th March 2013, 12:48   #279
Senior - BHPian

Well folks this age confusion starts because CBSC mandates 16 years for class 10 where as ICSE does not have any age criteria.

Getting a CBSE accreditation / affiliation is tougher for schools and these days state boards are not sellable amoung higher paying capacity parents.

So most new educational shops go for ICSE affiliation and they accept children at any age putting a peer pressure in minds of parents.

Do not push your child beyond his age it's better if your kid is older in his class rather then being youngest.
Old 28th March 2013, 13:18   #280
BHPian

After many brain storming sessions and a long wait in the queue to get the application form, finally submitted the application for my 3.5 yrs old daughter for L.K.G. and anxiously awaiting the call letter from the school.
Old 28th March 2013, 13:50   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Do not push your child beyond his age it's better if your kid is older in his class rather then being youngest.
Reasons why parents rush their kids are,
1) If the kid loses an year, he will still be within his age group
2) Taking example of engineering, if the kid completes engineering at 20 (instead of 22), he will have 30 years (60 - 20) of work-life (& earnings !), as opposed to 28 years.
Old 28th March 2013, 18:43   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Quote:

Thank You guys.

I went to Zee School ( Mount Litera) in HSR today. They follow CBSE curriculum. Currently they have classes upto 7th std, and would progress to 12th with the same batches. The interaction was pretty good. A lot of good things they do in Kidzee seem to be practiced here also. Stress free school enviornment for kids being the key one. Fees also seem to be lower compared to many similar schools in the vicinity.

Also called up Steiner School. They have asked me to attend a workshop being done by one of their founder members on sunday. They are in a way insisting on admitting both my kids in the school. Logic being same curriculum and easy to mentor at home. Though I buy the logic, I would not want to disturb my daughter who just shifted school last year. Will attend the workshop, visit the school and update.

Last edited by mannubhai : 28th March 2013 at 18:47.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:20   #283
BHPian

I met with the Steiner school mentor, Manivannan. Also attended his workshop.

Its very close to the education I want to give my son. Awaiting further info from the school now.
Old 1st June 2013, 23:10   #284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Few parents mentioned that FAPS and other convents like Clarence and Sophia's have lost the glory they carried in the past. So I didn't bother too much about them.
I don't mean to nitpick here, but what exactly do you mean "lost their glory?" Clarence certainly isn't a "convent" school, but a Christian school. Clarence haven't "lost their glory", certainly not academically especially. How do I know this? That's cause I graduated from Clarence in 2011. This year's ISC topper from Clarence also topped Bangalore City and I think he topped the state as well.
Not if you look outside of academics, sure, Clarence isn't wonderful, but we have produced some incredible musicians and theatre personalities and Sophia's is a pretty good school as well. One of the biggest advantages of these schools is that they prep you for life, give you a down-to-earth mentality. You're not gonna be pampered or anything. Also, your kid isn't gonna be some snob who only wants the most expensive things around. I have friends who have passed out from schools like Vibgyor, Mallya Aditi, etc and they are socially stunted. They cannot mix with people who are of a lower income or who don't flaunt the latest gadgets/brands, and personally, I find that disgusting. Maybe that isn't the case so much in Vibgyor, but its certainly what I've seen.
I suggest you refrain from making such generic comments until you get your facts right, since there are other concerned parents here who want to admit their children into such schools.
Please don't infer this to be a personal attack, but being an alumnus of Clarence, it hurt me more than a little bit to see such comments.
Old 1st June 2013, 23:37   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
I don't mean to nitpick here, but what exactly do you mean "lost their glory?" Clarence certainly isn't a "convent" school, but a Christian school. Clarence haven't "lost their glory", certainly not academically especially. How do I know this? That's cause I graduated from Clarence in 2011. This year's ISC topper from Clarence also topped Bangalore City and I think he topped the state as well.
AbelAFC what you said is exactly right, you don't have to run around to get these details , just look at the history and alumni.

I have a close relative who is a teacher working in one of the new generation school mentioned by you.She mentions that parents of the students are from the IT background , they are pampered to the core and they "Claim" to extremely wealthy. They compare their house/villas, their Beemers/Mercs and tease students who come in a M800 or live in a rented house.

The parents are least bothered and in the PT it is conveyed that they are after their careers and least interested in children's academics.

Sometimes i wonder about these students how do you crave out the new generation if they have such a attitude .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks