Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 16:01   #571
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
My Kid goes to NPS Indiranagr
Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm mostly decided on NPS since it's less than 1km from my place. Will keep a close watch nevertheless...
Old 21st April 2015, 23:38   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isiv View Post
I'm looking at National Public School, Koramangala for my 4 year old, mainly for reasons of proximity. While I've heard good things about the school from many parents, there seem to be plenty of mixed reviews on NPS all over the net. Only there's no way to gauge how authentic these net reviews are.

Have things changed in recent times at NPS? In case any t-bhp users presently have one or more kids going to NPS, (KRM or otherwise), may I request your feedback.
As amitk26 mentions, NPS has a reputation for being extremely competitive and papers are assessed for marks at an early age.

By the way, NPS Koramangala is known for being even more difficult to get in than NPS Indira Nagar. Some of the reasons I have heard are that this school is smaller and many high profile public servants live in NGV.

Additionally bear in mind that NPS has some internal criteria every year based on which they shortlist for interview. When we applied at NPS for our son some 10 years ago, we were rejected for a reason I later found out to be flaky, but he breezed into another well-known school nearby.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 21st April 2015 at 23:40.
Old 22nd April 2015, 11:37   #573
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Additionally bear in mind that NPS has some internal criteria every year based on which they shortlist for interview. When we applied at NPS for our son some 10 years ago, we were rejected for a reason I later found out to be flaky, but he breezed into another well-known school nearby.
Almost all these big schools have the "internal" criteria which is never disclosed.
Sometimes, it's a matter of luck as well since they may have dropped your child's name in favour of high profile/influential applicant. Bottom line is, there is no transparency.
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:24   #574
BHPian

Any one sending their kids to Bishop Cottons Boys School, Bangalore LKG from this coming academic year? Do PM me please~!
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:16   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Almost all these big schools have the "internal" criteria which is never disclosed.
Sometimes, it's a matter of luck as well since they may have dropped your child's name in favour of high profile/influential applicant. Bottom line is, there is no transparency.
Internal criteria is common across all schools but when it is something flaky like summarily disqualifying single mothers, then I consider it a problem.
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:28   #576
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Anyone's kids going to the following schools, please share your experiences.
Euro School is in the same vicinity, you should probably pay a visit to that one as well.
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:10   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
As far as I know in NPS Indiranagr it is mentioned on the notice board every year. They have some 60 seats in KG1 First preference is to siblings of existing students , then to wards of staff and alumni , After this if there is any place then they take other children. As per experience of most parents people filling up and depositing form on day 1 and staying close to school ( approx 5 KM radius) usually get called.
Old 24th April 2015, 16:51   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
NPS Koramangala is known for being even more difficult

reasons I have heard are that this school is smaller and many high profile public servants live in NGV.

Additionally bear in mind that NPS has some internal criteria
Guess almost every school worth anything will have some unwritten criteria. I was pretty disappointed when St. Josephs rejected our application and they clearly state 'no queries regarding rejected applications will be entertained'

Wrote on t-bhp only because we got called (which was a total surprise) BTW, I'm neither a public servant nor high profile

There are incredible stories floating around of how selection happens at NPS and I'm beginning to think most of them are just hogwash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
As per experience of most parents people filling up and depositing form on day 1 and staying close to school ( approx 5 KM radius) usually get called.
Then I guess it was distance that worked in my favor other than loads of luck

Thanks all for writing.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:39   #579
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions for boarding school for a 6 year old?

Due to some circumstances, we need to send my niece to boarding school for her further studies. Right now she passed her UKG this march from a school in NCR.

Please suggest some good boarding schools which can cater the needs of kids from 1st standard(5-6 years) onwards.

Budget for school fees is upto 1-1.5 lacs per annum. Preferrable location NCR, places in North India within 250-500 kms range from Delhi/NCR.
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:35   #580
BHPian

I want help from fellow members. My daughter will turn 3 in June. Last Nov/Dec we secured her nursery admission in a school of our liking and not opting other schools where she had gotten admissions but we didn't cement them because we found a place in a school of pour liking.

Now the school in which we went ahead with her admission is revoked her admission as she doesn't make the cut off of being 3 years as of 31st May. Now this rule has always been there. But schools still took kids till Aug/Sept and even in rare case Oct months. But this year some High Court has cracked the whip and said the cut off will be strictly implemented and that it'll monitor it and any school found violating the same will be penalized heavily.

Now the tragedy is the schools I rejected in these process has also taken kids beyond this cut off but none of these have yet sent revocation notices to the respective parents. I know this for a fact as some of my friends kids born in Aug/Sept have taken admissions there.

I am in lumbar and have the following choices.

1.) Wait for one more year and risk my child being behind one academic year than kids of her age and some younger to her.
2.) Some how take admissions in the schools who are still taking in kids.
3.) There is no guarantee that the courts will be doing their job properly and kids much younger will sail through.
4.) Some say that despite some schools violating the cut off the kids will be asked to repeat Sr. KG as the Govt of India in the Right to Education Act has mandated that kinds being 6 or 6+ ONLY will be allowed in 1st standard.
5.) If I wait for one more year before putting my child in nursery due to her DOB she will be by far the eldest in her class all her life and will be already 7 yrs before she starts 1st standard.
6.) If I put her now I find that eventually when I hope to put her in some good boarding schools she will have to repeat the entry year as good girls boarding schools in India have a cut off of 1st April!
7.) Lastly I doctor her birth certificate and put her in a school now but doctor the birth certificate in such a way that she won't have a problem even in boarding schools.

Being a parent I don't want her to be 1 year behind than her peers due to this stupid situation. But The cut offs and how strictly will they be implemented etc. is a big question mark so I really need some opinion and advice on the same.

Last edited by abs182 : 22nd May 2015 at 11:42.
Old 22nd May 2015, 23:17   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Due to some circumstances, we need to send my niece to boarding school for her further studies. Right now she passed her UKG this march from a school in NCR.

Please suggest some good boarding schools which can cater the needs of kids from 1st standard(5-6 years) onwards.

Budget for school fees is upto 1-1.5 lacs per annum. Preferrable location NCR, places in North India within 250-500 kms range from Delhi/NCR.
Any pointers please?
Old 23rd May 2015, 09:03   #582
BHPian

No luck this time getting LKG admission in DAV Vivekananda Nagar. Which is the best school in Kukatpally, or the Gachibowli/Kondapur area. Most schools on the outskirts are way too costly. Not sure whether academics would be that brilliant. Any help here? Looking for LKG or UKG next year.
Old 23rd May 2015, 11:24   #583
Senior - BHPian

@abs182 - My advise is to delay the admission by an year. 1 year is nothing in the scheme of things. Your daughter will be mature for her class and do well in her studies. There is no point in taking the risk of doctoring the Birth certificate. what you are doing is illegal and may haunt her in the future (Most countries ask for reissue of birth certificate and validation by home ministry for providing work permits or for GC etc and may arise issues later in her life).
Old 24th May 2015, 09:00   #584
BHPian

@abs182- My view is also please delay by an year. This "one year is so precious" concept was relevant until about 30 or 40 years back when most jobs were in public sector, young kids were forced to read Competition Success Review or Competittion Master for "enrichment" instead of watching television or going out to play , everyone retired at 55 and an year lost was a fortune lost. Promotions were seniority based. Merit and Performnace Appraisal were things which didnt exist.

These are alll irrelevant now . Watcbing my Class III kid struggle with topics which I didnt even learn in Class XII, I totally agree with the previous poster that that the extra year is only going to help the child.

Last edited by TKMCE : 24th May 2015 at 09:03.
Old 27th May 2015, 11:01   #585
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

This query is for Bangalore and especially near Budigere Cross. I am trying to shortlist some properties in that area and my main concern is about the schools there.

I saw Vibgyor high (ICSE), Chrysalis (CBSE) and DPS (CBSE). Schools such as Deens seem to be very far, and i dont want small kids to travel 10+ kms

I am keen on CBSE, so that kind of rules out Vibgyor as well(but it is less than 2 km away) unless Vibgyor has started CBSE there.

I really appreciate help from people staying near Budigere cross.

Most Viewed