Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 15:59   #871
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The school would say they are not equipped to handle children with special needs.They would cite non perfomance of the child.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
I agree with ranjit here........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Hyper active can have various meanings. As far as I see today, most of the kids are hyper active................. .
Thank you all for the response.

I remember seeing this child an year back and I couldn't feel anything such till her parents told me! Her mother herself was a teacher at one of the prominent schools in Bangalore and is at an opinion that she is just naughty. As far as I understand, this child may not be concentrating as expected in the class. My suggestion to them was to change her division if possible and see if child can do better.

I'm mentioning this because my daughter also was very naughty and she disliked her teachers several times. This year she is with another teacher and is very excited to go to class!
Old 19th July 2018, 17:59   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
As far as I understand, this child may not be concentrating as expected in the class...
It is a truth universally acknowledged that for a student, Hell hath no fury like a teacher scorned
(apologies to William Congreve). If the teacher doesn't like a student, one can take it for granted that the latter is going to suffer - in the short term at first and in a compounded manner in the long term. I understand that it shouldn't be so, but that's how it is, in a majority of cases. When the school says it can't handle the child, that means they do not want to handle her, for various real or imagined reasons. Please take her out and admit her to a humane school, some place where she is seen as an innocent and curious child and not just as a statistic.

Also, since the present generation of kids come with internal circuitry that are often far too complicated than ours and therefore incomprehensible, a casual trip to a good counsellor or a child psychologist wouldn't be too far fetched.

Quote:
.. my daughter also was very naughty and she disliked her teachers several times. This year she is with another teacher and is very excited to go to class!
Exactly.

Over the years, I have seen that students tend to perform well in a subject if they like (or at least do not dislike) the person who teaches it. Teachers in particular and the school management in general can make or break a kid's life. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
Old 11th September 2018, 07:34   #873
BHPian

I am planning to enrol my kid in Clarence Public School, JP Nagar. This is for the pre-nursery 2019-20.
Do you have any feedback ?

Also, do you have any recommendations on BG road, closer to IIMB ?

Thanks !
Old 24th September 2018, 08:27   #874
Senior - BHPian

The Time of India, Bengaluru Edition (Dt:24/09/2018) has published an advertorial listing the best Pre-Schools in the city. The grading should anyhow be taken with a pinch of salt, but the list of schools can act as a good starting point for a parent in search of a decent pre-school.

The School & College Admissions Thread-screenshot-62.jpg

The School & College Admissions Thread-screenshot-63.jpg

The School & College Admissions Thread-screenshot-64.jpg
Old 24th September 2018, 10:00   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

How important is a playschool? Is a playschool the same as nursery/lkg/ukg? Will not attending a playschool make a difference when admitting a child to a regular school? Are playschools the same as daycare; and so if there is a family member available at home and several children to play with in the neighborhood itself, is it necessary to send a child to playschool?

Just curious, don't have children myself, but don't remember if the kids of my generation went to playschool so was wondering about the benefits.
Old 5th October 2018, 13:31   #876
BHPian

Just checking if anyone has feedback on Samskriti Academy in Whitefield or hopefarm. My kid is currently in montessori school (M3). I am moving to whitefield area and am looking for a school that transitions from Montessori to CBSE/ICSE.
Old 5th October 2018, 17:19   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
How important is a playschool? Is a playschool the same as nursery/lkg/ukg? Will not attending a playschool make a difference when admitting a child to a regular school? Are playschools the same as daycare; and so if there is a family member available at home and several children to play with in the neighborhood itself, is it necessary to send a child to playschool?

Just curious, don't have children myself, but don't remember if the kids of my generation went to playschool so was wondering about the benefits.
Quote:
Is a playschool the same as nursery/lkg/ukg?
The order is PlayGroup -> Nursery -> LKG -> UKG

Quote:
Will not attending a playschool make a difference when admitting a child to a regular school?
Even if a kid misses playgroup, he/she will have to start from Nursery. IMO it shouldn't make any difference.

Quote:
Are playschools the same as daycare
Daycare is usually used by parents who cannot take care of the kid, and leave the kid in daycare so that they can go to their office. There is no teaching involved here.
Old 5th October 2018, 18:54   #878
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Replying quite late, not sure if this will be helpful at all in case you already have the answers.
Playschool as the name suggests is just an informal "school" for the children to play, but in reality it usually extends to "teaching" stuff like the letters of the (English) alphabet, numbers, rhymes and activities like identifying colours, etc. There is no age limit or range per se for playschool.

LKG/UKG (2 years total) and it's equivalent in the Montessori system of M1 to 3 (3 years) are preschools. A child must be at least 3 years 10 months to enroll for LKG. For M1, child should be at least 2 years 10 months to enroll. These preschools are not affiliated to any board nor have any specific syllabus, but aim to prep the student with some basic skills like knowing letters of the alphabet, numbers, identifying colours, basic speaking/conversational skills etc (see the overlap, with the playschools now ? Playschools actually go overboard and start teaching stuff too early!). Difference between LKG/UKG system and Montessori is the approach taken with the latter one being in a more informal environment with practical learning aids that are more feel and learn types, also they use sounds (phonics) to teach them how to spell and the class (environment) has a mix of M1, 2, and 3 children so they learn social skills and also learn from each other by example.

On completion of preschool from either system, the child will be ready for a Class 1 in any school affiliated and following the syllabus of any board/system.

There are very few schools that use Montessori teaching methods in primary/middle school level, most are just preschools but benefits as compared to LKG/UKG system are many, we have an example at home The preschool my child went to used Montessori system and were very particular that the child should be raw (should not have been in a playschool that taught the alphabet, etc).

Very interesting if you go on to read about the Montessori methodologies (and others like Steiner etc).

Last edited by aah78 : 6th October 2018 at 00:19. Reason: Edited on request.
Old 11th October 2018, 13:07   #879
BHPian

Hello guys,

I wanted to know about the following schools:

1. vibgyor haralur
2. harvest international carmelagram
3. DPS east bangalore

thanks in advance

Last edited by ortho_surgeon : 11th October 2018 at 13:11.
Old 11th October 2018, 14:23   #880
BHPian

Quote:

Interesting query and every parent will have their respective experiences. My elder son was not sent to playschool and went to nursery and baby sitting as we both were working.

Nursery: Will have over 20-30 kids and all doing the most basic of things, playing with toys, numbers, some basic skills and some learning

Baby Sitting: The lady who used to baby sit my kid was a terror and as a result my kid I feel grew up scared and rebellious at the same time. Whilst these are growing years and we as parents also do not notice them when its a nuclear family.

Playschool/Play group/Daycare: My second kid was sent to one and it has made a world of difference. These places teach them basic manners like washing hands before eating, some reading and writing. The best thing is that there are very few kids in some of the play schools which also gives individual attention to the kid at the same time the teachers are not irritated as the group is small

I infact, continued his LKG & HKG just because I felt they was warmth and affection amongst everyone and not the competition that you see in schools.

Highly recommended for me - as long as you get a playgroup which has less kids, hygienic - your kid will enjoy that experience.

Right now he is in First Standard and I am going through the pangs of IB & IGCSE school boards. It is a long post....but I wanted to share my experience.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:08   #881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortho_surgeon View Post
Hello guys,

I wanted to know about the following schools:

1. vibgyor haralur
2. harvest international carmelagram
3. DPS east bangalore

thanks in advance
Can talk about Harvest. Just a disclaimer, school feedback is very subjective depending on ones requirements. So my good things may not mean your good things. Some generic high level feedback below.
  • Good Transport System. Buses and staff owned by the school and not out sourced. Well maintained.
  • Decent infrastructure with good open area. But no high end facilities like swimming pool or advanced sporting facilities.
  • Management is generally open to feedback and responsive. Communication is good. If something is not working well, ready to accept it and see what needs to be done.
  • Kids are not overburdened with studies. A good balance is kept (in lower classes-till 3/4th std- Not sure how it is in higher classes)
  • Has grown a lot in the last 5-6 years and has become a popular school. Have heard the current fee structure is pretty high.
  • All fees are called out in the beginning of the year. No ad-hoc request for any payments.
  • Simple comfortable uniform.
Old 15th October 2018, 11:58   #882
BHPian

Expanding on the above post about Harvest International School,

It's a CBSE affiliated school. All changes directed by this board will be implemented.

It has various after school programmes for robotics, vehicle math, basketball, badminton and football. No cricket though.

Workload till 8th is more towards overall development of the child with several extra-curricular activities.

From 9th academics is given little more importance.

Their Facebook page would give you a better understanding of their schedule and feedback.

In general Nothing beats an on-site visit of any school you want an admission in. You could look at how the school is maintained firsthand rather than the publicity shots you would get in a brochure.

Hope this helps.
Old 19th October 2018, 21:13   #883
BHPian

Anyone has any feedback on Prakriya Green Wisdom in the recent years?

Keep hearing that its great for the younger years and not that great in the middle/high school. Is this true?
Old 26th November 2018, 15:03   #884
Senior - BHPian

Admission notice for the next academic year put up for Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan's Paranjapre Pre-Primary School in Kothrud, Pune:

The School & College Admissions Thread-bvb_paranjape_school_18.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 29th November 2018, 02:14   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
I am planning to enrol my kid in Clarence Public School, JP Nagar. This is for the pre-nursery 2019-20.
Do you have any feedback ?
A friend of mine is a teacher at Clarence and from what I have heard from her, its a school with good infrastructure and relatively good teachers. Her daughter also studies in the same school and I have never heard her saying anything objectionable regarding her school.

Regards,
A.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks