Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2019, 13:20   #916
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Dear All, I am looking for some feedback on Deeksha P.U Integrated college in Kanakapura road, Bangalore for XI and XII std.
I am in the same boat as you are, I dont have first hand information on the Kanakapura branch but my friend's son studies there and indeed its a very intensive academic oriented environment with close to nil extra curricular activities. My son wrote the test and got the admission but I opted for the Thyagaraja Nagar SGPTA campus as I wanted him to focus on CET than IIT JEE as we might have to travel back to USA and dont want to stress him out too much. I have already paid the initial booking amount and treat this as purely a backup and based on how my son fares in 10th , plan to admit him to a regular PU college as I am not comfortable with so much pressure on academics.
Old 30th January 2019, 14:16   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My son wrote the test and got the admission but I opted for the Thyagaraja Nagar SGPTA campus as I wanted him to focus on CET than IIT JEE

Understood. You are exactly in the same spot as mine. I am also not keen on IIT-JEE for my daughter and would like to pursue CET only. I have almost made up my mind to make her continue in CBSE board for XI and XII in her current school and do self study to crack CET.
Old 30th January 2019, 15:09   #918
Senior - BHPian

Hoping Shankar can post after serving the ban period, however, its quite an interesting observation I made & thought to share it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Poor little children...
My kids school provide open cupboards to submit the books there & take only whatever is required. Except a few kids who're attentive in class does that, rest of them are made as donkeys. And whoever submits are worse than donkeys because, the books get stolen, sometimes it gets back to the same place silently. Meanwhile, whoever loses the book has to make another copy. Good solution will be cupboard with keys, but, losing the key will be damn easy & the problems after that...whew!! Why do kids behave like this? Either Parents don't mind their kids bringing in someone else's book or worst case Parents don't get to know what their kids are doing.

Quote:
Our education system...taught academics alone!
Couple of years ago, our kid's school started an innovative program on weekends where kids get to cook something simple without using much complications or get to cut & sew clothes. For easy managing the kids, 4 teachers segregated entire class to 4 groups. First week it was cooking without using stove, may be mixie. Next weekend, there were some proud parents & some of kids relatives giving them a helping hand to "win". Third weekend, none of the kids were working in the class but the ones who accompanied them. Fourth week someone complained saying, children are too small (4th grade, around 9 yrs old) to handle kitchen knives & such things have to be banned. Needless to say what happened. Parents won!!

Quote:
I can only feel sorry for all those children who are condemned to such drudgery by their silly parents, who lack any sort of vision themselves, except this madness to create a bunch of unthinking automatons - like lemmings rushing over a cliff top

Quote:
Worst is to see the little guys...protection bar and other such miserable sights
Do the kids have an option to choose their own mode of transportation? I guess its the choice left to Parents right?

Quote:
I think the basic problem is that...population growth numbers and stress on the already stretched resources
No doubt our population is huge & I also agree that with our limited land mass area compared to population while the growth rate is also more. However we also have to take into account on the density of population as it determines the effective usage on the resources including the land. So when we take that into account, I was shocked to see Korea, Netherlands & Monaco (and China) in the list that are topping us. This means, there're countries in the world that are managing effective usage of their resources. So lack of resources is not the problem.

Source - http://statisticstimes.com/demograph...on-density.php

Quote:
Such procreators should ask themselves...this planet, when it can be possibly avoided?
Haha...I like to agree with you, but this is a planet that had both people like Hitler, Ghazni, Stalin, Genghis Khan etc & MK. Gandhi, Mandela, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Ashoka etc. We could have someone growing up either sides & it is the system combined with the efforts of Parents & most importantly education that makes them take the sides. Noteably with the history of Mandela & King Ashoka & their U-turn transformation.

So, considering the above point, I've no say except that, we all ought to be a VERY RESPONSIBLE Parents otherwise there's no difference between a mongrel & us just that our kids go to school & keep doing what we do which is same as what a mongrel pup learns from its Mother on the street.

Summing up, it's all the fault in raising the kids is what I feel & eventually I get to share the same sentiments as you do just that I don't say it's the fault of school, it's all in the upbringing of the kids by Parents. I've 2 more strongest points to add...
1. Attend any PTM (I've been doing for last 6+ years), here're the most important points discussed by Parents...
a. He doesn't listen at home, spank him teacher
b. Give him more homework so that he studies well
c. I've aided him with tuition also, but still less marks
d. How can we support the child to get good marks?
And offlate, our PTM lasts no more than 1 minute because, we go there to sign. Whatever feedback is being asked with Parents, we let our kids fill it because they know the real problem encouraging them there will be no consequence to talk the truth right in front of the teacher

2. Offlate been seeing many small kiddos as early as 5th std, forget the riding a Dio, they don't know the first & foremost to keep left. They ride their bicycles in the way they like to ride & the way they like to take. This fault is 100% attributed to their respective Parents as I've witnessed many families taking the wrong side of the road everyday morning to drop their kids at bus stand & schools. So children behave exactly as what they're taught by their Parents. And Parents absolutely don't realize that they're making the place even unsafe for their children by giving a BS justification that, who is following the law kind of rubbish

Last edited by aargee : 30th January 2019 at 15:18.
Old 11th February 2019, 13:48   #919
BHPian

Admission are open at Samhita Academy (Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore) for "Nursery to X" and "XI th".

For more information, please visit their website: https://www.thesamhitaacademy.com/
Old 11th February 2019, 16:27   #920
BHPian

I am currently staying in Germany and will be moving back to Pune in April 2020. My child studies in German schools and by the time we come to India, he will be halfway through 3rd Standard in German Schools. At that time his age will be suitable for 4th Grade admission to Indian Schools.

Reason for this difference is, German Academic year starts in September and ends in August. Compared to Indian Academic Year, which is April to March (June to March).

Now ability wise, my son is doing pretty well and he will be ready for 4th Grade at that time.

I am looking for admission in Indira School in Wakad or equivalent schools in Wakad.

Based on this premise, my questions are

1. Will Schools do drama while giving admission to 4th Grade? Does anybody know about Indira Schools attitude?

2. Is there any experience how the admission procedure will be for NRIs? Do I need to come to India for that.

Few words about my thoughts:
My view about Indian Private Schools is pretty much pessimistic. I do not like the way our education has been commercialized and executed. I empathize with the way children carry the pressure and admire them at the same time. Feel pity about parents the way they are hell bent on their own child. My approach towards my kid is typical lean back approach. I never ask for study but I help him in study through play and experiences. Also the German way of schooling has helped my kids approach towards study. So I have a feeling of uneasiness while dealing with school authorities in India. So sometimes I try to search for alternative for schooling. But I am forced to remain mainstream.
Old 5th April 2019, 06:58   #921
BHPian

Dear All

We have got provisional admission for our son at Mitra Academy, Bannerghatta Road. This place is walkable distance from my in laws place and about 4kms from our house and we are very keen to finalize

Can someone share feedback on the school ? The student teacher ratios, how good are the teachers, focus on extra curricular activities etc.

Please also share any negative feedbacks if any
Old 5th April 2019, 12:58   #922
BHPian

MODS: If this is not the correct thread for these queries, please let me know the correct one or move those to the correct one.

Newbie here w.r.t. School Admissions and curriculum offered. Need some advice on the same in Thane (Mumbai) area. My kid is 15 months old now and will be going to a play school in a few months. At that point I need to start preparing for his school admissions and make some decisions in about next six months may be.

1) Which is better - CBSE or ICSE w.r.t to allowing my kid to develop a holistic view of different subjects and giving him a wiser exposure?

2) What schools are good in vicinity of GB Road in Thane?
  • I know Singhania is great but seats are limited and it follows a lottery system. Any advice for getting a seat here?
  • HFS I understand allows only people living in Hiranandani property? Is that correct? Can we (not living in Hiranandani property) get an admit there? How good is it?
  • What other options shall I consider? Have heard names such as Vasant Vihar and DPS but have no feedback on those. All these are far from home and will involve 30-45 mins of travel for my kid based on traffic conditions.
  • In the vicinity I have Universal School (Brahmand) but if anyone can share feedback on that, that will be helpful.

3) Is it worth to consider a far off school such as New Horizon or Vibgyor at Airoli? I am not in favor of putting my kid through the harrowing travel everyday but if the schools are indeed great, might think about it once. These will be 15-18 KMs from my home and will need about 1 hour each way to come and go due to traffic and tolls.

4) What kind of expenses per year shall I look at on average? I have heard varying figures from different folks ranging from 70K to 150K p.a. This sounds too much at the beginner level and gives me shivers when I think about the expenses when my kid will grow up. Are these figures correct and include everything? Are there more expenses after these?

5) What tricks/pitfalls shall I be careful of at private schools? I mean what are the common ways that they use to over charge us?

Teaching and school admissions in our days was very simple. Expenses were not high, overcharging wasn't rampant and quality of education was good even at low-budget state board schools. Many things have changed recently it seems.

Any advice or points are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunil
Old 8th April 2019, 07:39   #923
BHPian

Hi all..any feedback on Mitra academy in Bannerghatta road ? We have got admission for my son for 2nd STD and want to confirm this week. Any reviews would help. Thanks in advance
Old 29th August 2019, 14:23   #924
BHPian

I recently moved to Kadugodi area in Bangalore. I wanted to know from this group if you have any feedback on chrysalis high kadugodi school.
Thanking you.
Old 29th August 2019, 15:45   #925
Senior - BHPian

Christ Academy, Off Electronic City - Pre KG registration will be held on 14 September 2019.

Age criteria - 3 years completed as on 31st May 2020.

--Anoop

Last edited by ajmat : 29th August 2019 at 16:19. Reason: correcting date 2019 , not 2018
Old 30th August 2019, 13:05   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydrive View Post
I recently moved to Kadugodi area in Bangalore. I wanted to know from this group if you have any feedback on chrysalis high kadugodi school.
Thanking you.
School is decent. I haven't heard of any issues from friends who have kids studying there. The approach road to the school becomes a nightmare when it rains. Do check if that is sorted out.
Old 30th August 2019, 21:04   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
MODS: If this is not the correct thread for these queries, please let me know the correct one or move those to the correct one.

1) Which is better - CBSE or ICSE w.r.t to allowing my kid to develop a holistic view of different subjects and giving him a wiser exposure?
ions.

Teaching and school admissions in our days was very simple. Expenses were not high, overcharging wasn't rampant and quality of education was good even at low-budget state board schools. Many things have changed recently it seems.

Any advice or points are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunil
Dear Sunil, I will share my insights on the basis of my first hand experience in school management. Private schools are very expensive to set up and profit motive reigns supreme in the management minds. Though some teachers may be good but majority see that noble profession as a mere job. Students get grades but hardly any values and that is where I felt pained knowing that those young minds could be masterpieces but end up becoming carbon copies, good for admits here and there.
I will share personal experience where a teacher couple pulled their child out and started home teaching and few years down the line, the child was doing excellent academically and was much more empathizing towards society as large as compared to 'spoiled brats' in the school. Not all among us may have that luxury, but you may like to explore that option. If not, all schools are similar more or less unless someone / some institution is on a mission to change lives and not only making money.
I have no affiliation to Isha but their schooling seems something in that direction.

https://ishahomeschool.org/

Other members may share their feedback. Good luck.

regards
Old 31st August 2019, 10:26   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
School is decent. I haven't heard of any issues from friends who have kids studying there. The approach road to the school becomes a nightmare when it rains. Do check if that is sorted out.
Thank you. The road still remains bad.
Old 1st September 2019, 10:30   #929
Senior - BHPian

Today was the online submission for Kumarans, Bangalore. We had submitted the draft and at 10-00 AM we were to do the final submission. My wife kept refreshing and when she hit the button at 10-00 AM and finally the button was enabled but it said the maximum submissions had already reached. Is this the way Kumarans Admissions work?
Old 1st September 2019, 12:00   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Today was the online submission for Kumarans, Bangalore. We had submitted the draft and at 10-00 AM we were to do the final submission. My wife kept refreshing and when she hit the button at 10-00 AM and finally the button was enabled but it said the maximum submissions had already reached. Is this the way Kumarans Admissions work?
Was not aware of this.

Is it any flash sale? Shouldn't the criteria to select a kid be based on their interview and personal interaction rather than based on "fastest finger" contest.

Sad to know such a prestigious institution like Kumaran's is going this way.

KK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks