Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:03   #151
BHPian

Re: Bangalore School Admissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Does anybody have any opinions on Mitra Academy, Bannerghatta Rd.
My niece has been studying at Mitra academy for the past three years. It's a good school where the kid gets all-round development. There's not much hype about the school and they do charge less compared to the 1 Lakh per annum that other famous schools charge.

If you want more details, I can give you my Brother-In-Law's number so you can get accurate information.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:15   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
This is my kid's third year in NPS-HSR, and I disagree about the grind part.
Are there two NPS schools? I am talking 4 years back when i went to Kormangala NPS school with another friend of mine, and was made aware about what the students achieved in studies and my friend asked if there were any achievements in sports or other areas, and the short answer was no (The long answer does not warrant mention but it sounded like teachers think doing anything else is waste of time)

I have seen my earlier neighbors sitting all the time with their son helping in their homework.

So all this has created the impression that i stated above. I was not trying to demean the school. It is possible these are two different NPS schools, or things have changed in last few years.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:37   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Are there two NPS schools?
There are atleast four (Rajajinagar, Indiranagar, Koramangla and HSR). HSR is the newest (six years old or so), but AFAIK, Koramangla also has this "no homework on weekdays" concept for quite some time.

Quote:
It is possible these are two different NPS schools, or things have changed in last few years.
A couple of my friends studied at NPS, and they feel that the school was an old fashioned academically oriented one when they were students. Perhaps the management has realized that and is trying to change. Wishful thinking, maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
AFAIK, there are 3 (or possibly 4) NPS schools. One is in Indiranagar, one is Koramangla and one is called CMR NPS. I dont know if theres one more in HSR.
You should see the application rush that even this relatively new school has.
About NPS HSR : http://npshsr.com/
The link (from NPS I'Nagar) shows how many affiliate schools NPS has:
http://www.npsinr.com/index.php?file=other_branches

Last edited by Su-47 : 2nd July 2012 at 17:50.
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:40   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are there two NPS schools?
So all this has created the impression that i stated above. I was not trying to demean the school. It is possible these are two different NPS schools, or things have changed in last few years.
AFAIK, there are 3 (or possibly 4) NPS schools. One is in Indiranagar, one is Koramangla and one is called CMR NPS. I dont know if theres one more in HSR.

NPS Indiranagar is quite highly regarded, and is the one that attracts maximum admission applications per year. Last year we were there (albeit late) for our young one's admission but she did not meet age criteria (she is not even 2.5 in June this year). Generally liked the school at that time.
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:44   #155
BHPian

Quote:
I my personal view, NPS is more focused towards study-study-and-more-study. We did not like the approach and hence stayed away from NPS. Another drawback is getting into NPS is like getting lottery, we anyway had no intentions in putting her through the grind at such a young age hence stayed away from the NPS madness.
I don't know why this generalization became popular about NPS. This is so not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

This is my kid's third year in NPS-HSR, and I disagree about the grind part. From my personal experience, the emphasis they place on studies is no more than other schools like Vibgyor etc. For example, they don't give any homework on weekdays. Perhaps things will become more intense in high school, but talking to other older kids in my apartment, that doesn't seem to be the case either.

They don't have great sports infrastructure, and are very quirky about issues like attendance on last/first day of school etc. If you are okay with those, IMHO, NPS is a pretty decent school.

Agree about the lottery part though!
My kids goes to NPS Koramangala. And my experience is exactly the same as yours. I was quite apprehensive about sending my kid to NPS given their reputation of grinding studies. But it was not true at all. No home work on weekdays. One page homework (20 minute job) for weekend. No exams at the end of the year.

Another thing I liked was the pacing of the studies. They plan really well (or probably are very experienced now) and space out the concepts to teach to a children. When my kids was in VIBGYOR, they were teaching at a leisurely pace, and then in last 2 months of the session they completed 50% of the course.

I once got to talk to a senior member of teaching staff of NPS. They told me that the admission is more organized than people give them credit for. While taking admissions they take siblings, staff and alumni admissions first. This generally leaves the place for around 25 students, which they have to pick from around 2000 applications that come. While picking they have to make sure that they strike a good balance of

1. girls and boys.
2. out of state students.
3. working, non-working parents.
4. IT and NON-IT parents (For example they make sure 2-3 students have doctors as their parents)

The end result is that admission process seems like a lottery with no rhyme or reasoning. This is especially true because they don't take interviews of parents or kids.

For admissions to higher classes, they take test and choose the highest scorers.

Quote:
Are there two NPS schools? I am talking 4 years back when i went to Kormangala NPS school with another friend of mine, and was made aware about what the students achieved in studies and my friend asked if there were any achievements in sports or other areas, and the short answer was no (The long answer does not warrant mention but it sounded like teachers think doing anything else is waste of time)

I have seen my earlier neighbors sitting all the time with their son helping in their homework.
NPS has 4 schools. One each in RajajiNagar, IndiraNagar, Koramangala, HSR. Extra curricular activities is one more myth about NPS that keeps floating around. It is true that NPS Koramangala doesn't have big ground or place for playing sports. They in fact use the grounds of TISB branch for their sports events. They don't have a swimming pool to teach swimming, nor they have a golf course or horse riding academy. But apart from that they are quite active in other activities like poetry, music, debates etc. Also they are quite active participants in inter school competitions.
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:31   #156
BHPian

About NPS HSR.

My son goes to NPS HSR, and here is some feedback about the school.
That getting into the school is a lottery is probably true. We could not understand what criteria got us the ticket, that several others did not.

But, that apart, the teachers are very good. It is still pretty heavily acedemically oriented, and i also heard that home work increases as they grow older (my son is in Ukg now).

However, what i like is that my son seems to like school, and rarely has there been a day where he has complained about going to school. This to me is a very positive sign. To me, its all about bringing the best in the kid, whether it is in acedemics or otherwise. And having the kid in a positive envirnoment is what i am looking for.

As they grow older, i think they will have lesser time in view of the study material, but assuming they also have a solid foundation, they probably will be able to manage it as well. (hopefully - fingers crossed ).
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:52   #157
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I liked Shishu Greha (Indiranagar)
Their website is Sishu Griha
School is located in Gitanjali Layout, New Thippasandra.

@LonelyPlanet - This would not be too far from NGEF layout where you're currently staying.

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2012 at 06:56.
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:58   #158
BHPian

@deep_bang - What is the fee in NPS HSR ?

Also appreciate if any other forum members have any experiences that you can share wrt CMR-NPS and Presidency School East ?
Old 13th July 2012, 18:49   #159
BHPian

Appreciate if any forum members have any experiences that you can share wrt CMR-NPS
Old 13th July 2012, 19:04   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Appreciate if any forum members have any experiences that you can share wrt CMR-NPS
Well theres a lot of disgruntled parents over here on this page

CMR National Public School, Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore | Bangalore Schools

I came to know that it does not belong to the NPS schools but is a separate independent one.
Old 13th July 2012, 19:49   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet
I don't know about feedback, but they don't belong to NPS, though they sometimes portray otherwise.
Old 15th July 2012, 07:20   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet
@deep_bang - What is the fee in NPS HSR ?
The fee is about 90k per year. However I think the fees is more for newer admissions than older admissions. What I mean to say is that older kids probably pay lesser than newer younger kids.... not sure of this point though!
Old 16th July 2012, 12:05   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
My niece has been studying at Mitra academy for the past three years. It's a good school where the kid gets all-round development. There's not much hype about the school and they do charge less compared to the 1 Lakh per annum that other famous schools charge.

If you want more details, I can give you my Brother-In-Law's number so you can get accurate information.
Can you PM me the number please?, I am in Bangalore currently and scouting for my son's schooling next year ... we plan to relocate back from US.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:00   #164
BHPian

My daughter is in her 4th std, and was in Cathedral School all this while.

This year I have moved her to Prakriya Green Wisdom school, in Sarjapur road. I find the school an absolute perfect fitment to the education i want to provide her with.

Its an alternate education school . Focus is on the wholistic devp of the kid. They are not taught, they learn. And after a month and half of new school, my kid is enjoying it.

Admissions might be tough as they have ltd no of seats in each class and takes new admissions, only if someone leaves.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:10   #165
BHPian

Re: Pune School Admissions

Again, Bumping up an old thread.

A friend of mine has moved from Ludhiana to Kothrud, Pune.
He has two children in 1st and 3rd Standard.
The has seen 'City International School, Kothrud' cisk
Fees are Rs.35,000/- per child.

I have now knowledge of the schools in Kothrud area.

How is the above school?
Are the fees reasonable?
What other CBSE schools can be recommended in the area. As he is new to Pune, he doesn't want to send his children out of the area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks