Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2013, 13:39   #226
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I just went through the notice link pasted in your post. At one place they say, they don't accept donations but at the same time the one time admission fee is 20K. This is nothing but donation by other name .
You could term it as that, yes. As long as it's not in lakhs am a happy guy. I don't know of a single school who wouldn't charge the one time admission fee. 20k doesn't make much of a difference considering the education my son receives for 25k fees per year.
Old 24th January 2013, 13:54   #227
Senior - BHPian

@Manish: Thank you for your inputs. It just shows that you love your school and so does your son.

@shipnil:

I would say that admission fee is *not* donation.
There is another term called development fee which is more like a donation.

If you don't get a receipt, then it is definitely donation.

Many schools (including Bishops Kalyani Nagar) ask for donation in some way, though on their website they say "strictly no donation".
The well established 'brands' will collect money in some form or the others. The rest just take money by way of regular fees.
Victorious Kids at Kharadi is charging Rs. 1.35 Lac for the day school (full day school 9 AM to 5:30 PM I think) for LKG.
Old 24th January 2013, 14:02   #228
Senior - BHPian

DPS East asked us 25k donation in cash here in BLR! there was also a separate admission fee and a development fee as well. we got receipts for the admission fee and development fee (55k in total) but not for the cash 25k "donation"

School fees have gone over the roof. what can be done..
Old 24th January 2013, 14:58   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
If you don't get a receipt, then it is definitely donation.
That's a good point. We got receipts for the admission fees paid. I have heard rumours of people being asked for rs.5 lakhs donations, this is over the admission & tuition fees.
Old 24th January 2013, 15:02   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
School fees have gone over the roof. what can be done..
In case of such demands and corrupt practices you can write a letter to the education ministry. But of course, people tend to pay and not resort to complaints and actions as it impacts the future of the child studying in that school.
Old 24th January 2013, 15:05   #231
BHPian

Re: Pune School Admissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Sukiwa & Selfdrive, thanks for the replies.

One point I now remember is that my friend wants CBSE school only.
I had a look at Tree House website, but it mentions they are ICSE.

I will see if the other recommendations are CBSE or ICSE.

What about the fees asked by City International?
Are they reasonable? What should be the fees for a good school around that area?

Thanks
Thought I will answer on Treehouse. Few points:
  • Treehouse Karvenagar is an ICSE (proposed).
  • They started only last year (Academic year 2012-13) and currently have classes from PG upto 4th Std.
  • Academic Year 2013-14 will introduce Std 5th. ICSE affiliation would apply only after school has classes till 6th Standard.
  • I feel, School Fees are reasonable. Around Rs. 25-28K for Nursary/LKG. Plus 11K for School Transport if required. Rs. 1K for accessories, etc.
  • They was no donation whatsoever (probably because it is yet to be established).
  • They also have a IGCSE syllabus school in Pune located at Kondhwa.
  • Last year when we took admission for our child - we thought to see how the year goes and if not satisfied with Treehouse, we can consider other schools such as Millennium, Abhinav or Seva Sadan. But, in last 1 year, we are convinced that it's a good place for our child.
Old 19th March 2013, 13:44   #232
BHPian

I am in the process of finalizing admission for my daughter in a school. I have a question regarding documents requested. The school requires Original birth certificate to be submitted to them. They are going to retain the same. Is this normal practice? This document could be required by various different agencies in future and I don't trust the schools to retain the document in good shape. Any alternatives?
Old 19th March 2013, 13:58   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in the process of finalizing admission for my daughter in a school. I have a question regarding documents requested. The school requires Original birth certificate to be submitted to them. They are going to retain the same. Is this normal practice? This document could be required by various different agencies in future and I don't trust the schools to retain the document in good shape. Any alternatives?
No school should be demanding to retain the original birth certificate.No such law anywhere.The normal practice is to show them the original for verifying against the copy and the school would retain a copy of the original and return the original back to you immediately.This is just a tactic to ensure that you dont go to some other other school.Do not fall for it is my sincere advice.This is almost like employers seizing employees' passports in foreign countries just so that employees dont change jobs without letting the current employer know.You could at the most offer the school an attested copy of the birth certificate and nothing more(attested by a gazetted officer)
Old 19th March 2013, 14:22   #234
BHPian

Quote:
The school requires Original birth certificate to be submitted to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
No school should be demanding to retain the original birth certificate.No such law anywhere.This is just a tactic to ensure that you dont go to some other other school.
Like to differ here,Yes they do require original certificates as per rules.

It is not a tactic as you can easily get any no. of original certificates from the concerned department(Panchayat office / Municipality / Corporation ), by applying for it with in a Rs.10/- Registration paper.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:30   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Like to differ here,Yes they do require original certificates as per rules.

It is not a tactic as you can easily get any no. of original certificates from the concerned department(Panchayat office / Municipality / Corporation ), by applying for it with in a Rs.10/- Registration paper.
Original certificates are only needed for verification and never to be submitted for permanent keeps with the school.

The method that has been mentioned above is to get duplicate copies of the original bc(assuming the records in the birth registrar are still in place).

Imagine the effort if the child is born is place A and currently staying in place B,its a humongous effort to even source the duplicate.
Old 19th March 2013, 14:42   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Original certificates are only needed for verification and never to be submitted for permanent keeps with the school.

The method that has been mentioned above is to get duplicate copies of the original bc(assuming the records in the birth registrar are still in place).

Imagine the effort if the child is born is place A and currently staying in place B,its a humongous effort to even source the duplicate.
Schools do keep the original with them and the transfer certificate or something else they issue will have the date of birth mentioned.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:01   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Schools do keep the original with them and the transfer certificate or something else they issue will have the date of birth mentioned.
This is okay only from school change perspective. The problem comes if you are applying for a visa to a country which requires you to submit birth certificate for verification. I myself had to submit my daughters birth certificate while applying for Swiss visa. So my worry is in future if I have to go onsite, I'll have to keep following up with the school and I don't trust them to retain the documents at all or in good shape.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:07   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is okay only from school change perspective. The problem comes if you are applying for a visa to a country which requires you to submit birth certificate for verification. I myself had to submit my daughters birth certificate while applying for Swiss visa. So my worry is in future if I have to go onsite, I'll have to keep following up with the school and I don't trust them to retain the documents at all or in good shape.
You can request the school to give a letter. For my Son, the school has kept the birth certificate and I don't see a problem with that. (But I was given two birth certificates from corporation here )
I never had my own birth certificate. Even for green card, a affidavit was ok.

Last edited by srishiva : 19th March 2013 at 15:09.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:10   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alternative is to keep couple of copies of Birth certificate ready at your home it is one time hassel for you but it's worth doing. All schools demand original birtcertificate if you want you can move to court and fight it out but you can not postpone your childs schooling till the time court verdict comes.

This is normal here in Bangalore I got 3 original copies of birthcertificate for my kid as none of the 3 copies carried a duplicate stamp they all are as good as original. Seems BBMP guys were aware of the issue and asked us to take 3 copies.
Old 19th March 2013, 18:02   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Can anyone recommend some good schools in the area/vicinity of Uttarahalli (not more than 2-3 kms away from the Brigade Komarla building) with reasons as to why you recommend or don't recommend a particular school? My son is currently in LKG and will require admission into UKG next year (2014 admission).

When do these schools give out their admission forms and what do i need to prepare myself with?

Please note, we prefer CBSE syllabus for our son.
You can try Carmel School in Padmanabhanagar, Aurobindo near the BDA complex. Both are good and are around since a long time, I heard securing an admission in Aurobindo is tough. By the way, I stay in Uttarahalli Road opposite to Komarla Brigade, am currently contemplating in sending my kid to Maple Bear(currently finished his playhome there) or Presidency School, Bannerghata road for his pre-kg.

Most Viewed