Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 17:27   #721
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I think he is too young for Nursery admission this year, and will be 3.5 years old by beginning of next school calendar year.

If he start next calendar year
3.5 - 4.5 - Nursery
4.5 - 5.5 - Junior KG
5.5 - 6.5 - Senior KG

I think it is OK, your views please.
You answered it; better he joins next year. In current year you may enroll for a playschool and by next year your kid will be in comfort and "mature" enough for LKG.
Old 13th June 2016, 20:08   #722
BHPian

Little off topic. Came across the nice campus of Sarala Birla academy while driving on Bannerghatta road. How is the school?
Old 13th June 2016, 23:21   #723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_V View Post
Little off topic. Came across the nice campus of Sarala Birla academy while driving on Bannerghatta road. How is the school?
Probably the most expensive school in Bangalore? Fees start at 8.5L. I think it's full boarding school.
Old 14th June 2016, 10:35   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My kid is December 2013 born and is 2.5 years old now. People in my friends and family circle kept asking about our plan for his school admission, and few suggested to get him start with Nursery this year. I checked few school websites about age range/limit for admission and now I am very confused. I think he is too young for Nursery admission this year, and will be 3.5 years old by beginning of next school calendar year.

If he start next calendar year
3.5 - 4.5 - Nursery
4.5 - 5.5 - Junior KG
5.5 - 6.5 - Senior KG

I think it is OK, your views please.
No need to worry at all. Let him spend one more year at home or some nearby playschool which is at stone's throw away distance. My son is Nov 2012 Born and I was in same situation like yours. I was misguided by one preschool and asked to put him in play group at the age of two. I realised that I should repeat him this year in Nursery and already changed his school and put him in Nursery. But the time he will be in first standard he would be 6.5 years old which would be good for him!
Old 14th June 2016, 13:11   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
You may consider BEML Shishya school. It's in GM Palya, Kaggadasapura.
All these have real estate for kids.
Thank you very much for these pointers. I will inquire further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Depends on the area where you are based. The older schools probably will satisfy your criteria better. Considering Bangalore traffic, it will be advisable to pick a school in such a way that the commute time is reasonable.
Thank you, I certainly understand. I do not have a permanent home in bangalore yet, and I am open to moving here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Ashok Sir,

The term "Proper School" is a misnomer, for it is entirely prejudiced by the way our peers respond and also to a greater extent the marketing efforts done by the school.

Thank you. By proper school, I only meant something other than a Nursery-Day care type institution, something that follows a curriculum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
You are right, around 50K these days would accommodate those from a wider background especially when many mediocre schools are charging 1.5 lakh plus. My son goes to a 50K school and I really like the fact that many of his peers are children of ordinary working-class folk -- I think it helps him to stay grounded and there is no peer pressure unlike for instance my nieces who go to an international school and constantly hanker for specific brand name merchandise (shoes, clothing, backpacks, phone, etc.) based on what their friends have.
100% pass means that the school weeds out underperforming children in 9th grade and enrolls them in NIOS or issues a transfer certificate. So this criterion of yours may be of no importance at all.

All excellent points!
Thank you very much. I had the exact same experience from a few friends' children and I did not feel good hearing it happen around. I want my children to grow up grounded to reality too.
By 100% pass, I meant 100% pass in 10th grade or SSLC or whatever is the end exam. I know it has not much value add, but this is just for higher education sake.
Old 18th July 2016, 21:30   #726
Senior - BHPian

BGS NPS has started admission for next academic year.
Quote:
Notification for Registration for admission to PP I

Issue of form and registration for PP I will start from 17th August
Timings:- 9 am to 12 noon on all working days.
Vacancy position : As on date only in PP I ( 120 seats)

Documents to be submitted at the time of registration for admission..
Attested copy of Birth Certificate
Attested copy of SC, ST, OBC certificates in case of SC / ST / OBC students
Attested copy of TC from the previous school (if available)
Attested copy of the Aadhaar Card
One passport size photograph of the child

Eligible age
Three years as on 30th June for Pre-Primary I. For subsequent classes the eligible age would be reckoned again with reference to 30th June with proportionate increase over 3 years.

Proof of age
Certificate of birth issued by competent authority or the TC from the previous school. (For class up to IV)
For classes V and above TC from the previous school duly counter signed by the competent authority such as Block Education Officer or any other authorized authority.

Criteria for selection:
1) Siblings
2) Proximity to School (Based on previous years’ experience, we have done away with the criteria of "first come first serve” Parent need not stand in a Queue)

Proof for Residential Address:(Any one document)
a) Passport of the parent,
b) Addhaar Card of the parent,
c) BSNL telephone bill
d) Driving License of the parent

Principal
School link: http://bgsnps.com/cont.php
Old 24th July 2016, 19:38   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys,
Anyone with any information about global Indian international, Noida?
Old 1st August 2016, 14:46   #728
BHPian

Greetings of the day!

Request for Bangalore specific Advice.

My son studies in the Second standard in Wisdom World School Hadapsar, Pune, which is a very good ICSE School in that side of Pune. This year they charged 65K as annual fees.

Now I got posted to Bangalore from Pune last week. And I decided to continue my son in the school at Pune, until I can get admission for him in a similar ICSE school in Bangalore - Rajajinagar / Seshadripuram / Malleswaram.

Being new to the Bangalore School scene, I am told that Admissions are hard to obtain, and Fees here are exhorbidant. My office is on the Kumarakrupa Road, and may shift to Trinity Circle MG Road, may be next year).

I request for your Advice:

1. Which ICSE school in Rajajinagar / Seshadripuram / Malleswaram areas of Bangalore, with fees in the region of 65K ?

2. If not a ICSE School, would you advise me to look up for a CBSE school, in the same areas and with same Fees?

3. Or should i wait till the end of the academic year, and seek admissions in November - the admission season?

The last option seems harsh for me and my son, and the distance is depressing both of us, and my wife too.

Depending on the school that I get admission for my son, I would look for rented accomodation nearby that school. Also heard that 10 Months deposit is the norm, is this relaxable?

Thanks in advance for taking your time out and answering my Queries.

Have a great day!
Old 1st August 2016, 17:46   #729
Senior - BHPian

The areas you mention have some of the best schools in Bangalore - NPS, MES Kishore Kendra etc.

However the annual fees are 1 to 2 lakhs - that 65k figure is usual for much more obscure and recently founded schools (eg: St. Patricks Academy in Sarjapur, a 4 or 5 year old brand new startup by the same church organization that runs the various St. Patricks / St. Michaels etc in Calcutta, Jamshedpur, Chennai etc etc).

And admissions will start around sep / oct for the next school year so move fast to get forms.

For Trinity Circle - you're better off living in some place like Ulsoor or Indira Nagar. Kumara Krupa Road to Trinity Circle, under 7 km, will take you half an hour / 45 minutes at a very optimistic estimate. And there's an NPS in Indira Nagar (CBSE) while the best ICSE there is FAPS (Frank Anthony Public School). Both rather expensive, again.

Oh - if any of your kids have wheezing, asthma etc issues you may want to reconsider Bangalore. I moved there in 2015 and had to send my family back in under 6 months because my son was going to school one day and staying back one or two days on nebulization and steroid sprays.

And many schools have a mandatory third language which is often Kannada. Some of the more expensive schools offer Sanskrit, French etc. So your child may have to pick up a brand new language from scratch, and I hope his 2nd language in Pune is Hindi rather than Marathi.

Depending on just how long you're in Bangalore - especially if you're on much the same salary you were a happy Punekar on, I would suggest you have your family stay on in Pune and move to Bangalore, travel back once a month or so.

The norm for rent is 10 months deposit. And many landlords have the entertaining habit of collecting the month's rent in advance (eg: for August 1 to 30 you'd have to pay up on August 1). So if you quit your house midway through a month - too bad. That and a two month notice period or two month's rent in lieu of notice.

If you are alone - you may want to try this outfit. https://www.nestaway.com/ - sort of an ola / uber for rentals, and they don't ask for a deposit looks like. I've just seen fb ads for them, never had to use them myself, so caveat emptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesa View Post
1. Which ICSE school in Rajajinagar / Seshadripuram / Malleswaram areas of Bangalore, with fees in the region of 65K ?

2. If not a ICSE School, would you advise me to look up for a CBSE school, in the same areas and with same Fees?

3. Or should i wait till the end of the academic year, and seek admissions in November - the admission season?

The last option seems harsh for me and my son, and the distance is depressing both of us, and my wife too.

Depending on the school that I get admission for my son, I would look for rented accomodation nearby that school. Also heard that 10 Months deposit is the norm, is this relaxable?
Old 1st August 2016, 17:57   #730
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you're going to be posted at various places in India, you may want to decide on ICSE vs CBSE now instead of later.
I think there are many more CBSE schools, especially in the northern parts of India.

Based on that decision you can zero in on the school that will near the locality of your stay in Bangalore.
Of course if you decide to let your family remain in Pune, there is no issue right now. Good luck, circle back if you need more information.

Last edited by NPV : 1st August 2016 at 17:59.
Old 1st August 2016, 19:47   #731
BHPian

Quote:
My son studies in the Second standard in Wisdom World School Hadapsar, Pune, which is a very good ICSE School in that side of Pune. This year they charged 65K as annual fees.
Now I got posted to Bangalore from Pune last week. And I decided to continue my son in the school at Pune, until I can get admission for him in a similar ICSE school in Bangalore - Rajajinagar / Seshadripuram / Malleswaram.

Being new to the Bangalore School scene, I am told that Admissions are hard to obtain, and Fees here are exhorbidant. My office is on the Kumarakrupa Road, and may shift to Trinity Circle MG Road, may be next year).
Hi,

You havent mentioned how old your son is; if he is just starting out, i.e. in kindergarten you could participate in the annual admissions process which will start at the end of this year for next year's session. In case he is >standard 1 then you may approach a school of your choice for a mid term admission and prepare for your pocket to be lightened considerably.

In case you are anticipating a change in your work location in Bangalore, my advise would be to wait until the next academic year as the last thing you would want to do is for your child to endure the traffic here. Whether it be Rajajinagar or Indiranagar you may try the local NPS franchise: I will refrain from commenting on NPS, tends to evoke strong reactions either way and you would have to decide if their brand of education is what your child needs. There are a number of old world missionary schools in the vicinity should you pick Indiranagar/Ulsoor to stay in. There is FAPS at Ulsoor, St Germain and Clarence at Frazer town and St Joseph's, a little further off at museum road. They are not as 'contemporary' as the new age pvt schools but still difficult to get in. Fees in these schools are at the bottom of the spectrum and you would pay less than what you are currently paying at Pune.

If not these then you have a bevy of new age 'international' schools like Royal concorde, Vidya shilp etc where admission may be easier but fees considerably higher. Do conduct your own research as advise will not be short supply yet this is an intensely personal decision. To me, the board wasnt a critical consideration and as it happens, that decision gets made for you rather than the other way round.

All the best

Last edited by ampere : 1st August 2016 at 19:55. Reason: Reduced Quoted content
Old 2nd August 2016, 10:37   #732
BHPian

Thank you for indulging me with your detailed Replies... @hserus @NPV and @hothatchaway

I am grateful. Of course I would circle back for more information, as I venture on my search.

If I get something satisfactory, its good, or else i would continue my son at Pune, till his Second standard is complete, and in October i will try for a Third standard seat.

Thank you all.
Old 7th August 2016, 13:18   #733
BHPian

DPI directs FIR against top school chain.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...cle8945487.ece
Old 28th August 2016, 00:28   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
Thanks for your feedback.

We visited Whitefield Global school and Deans today.

The written exam for Chrysalis high and Whitefield Global school are scheduled for next week. Fingers crossed.
Hi Pallavi,

I am looking for an admission for my daughter into 3rd grade in the same schools as you have seen (within my 5 to 6 km radius from home). Can you share more info on where did you get your kid admitted.
Old 6th September 2016, 19:03   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CBSE has disaffiliated 6 schools run by National Education Trust and allied trusts located in Bengaluru and Mysuru.

The schools are namely National Academy for learning, Basaveshwara Nagar, National Public School, Indira Nagar, Koramangala, Rajaji Nagar, 4th Sector HSR Layout of Bangalore and NPS International School, Vijayanagar located in state are affected by the board.
Link: http://m.bfirst.in/news/2016_09_06/12743

Most Viewed