Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 17:34   #841
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
When you say Bellandur, assume the Sarjapur Road area is also included. Most schools in this area are on Sarjapur Road.

The bad news first. Bellandur/Sarjapur and affordable don't really go together. Even the cheaper ones are more expensive than more reputed schools in other parts of Bangalore. The other bad news is that most schools would be well into the admission process. So the preferred school you narrow down may not have availability.

Good part is that there are an insane number of schools in this area. Here is a list (not an exhaustive one)- In rough order of distance from Belandur/Iblur. And classified as Lower, Middle and Upper in terms of the fee scale (No idea of current figures though-Just a guideline where I have some info)

[
Rajeevraj - Thanks again!! Vibgyor is opening a new branch in panathur road, next to Vaswani apartment. I visited them today. Since its a new branch, they are not asking for admission fess. Fess comes to around 80k INR and extra 3,000 for uniforms, books and shoes. I dont require transport for this school because my office is in Wells Fargo and i can drop my son and pick him up while going for lunch. So thats sorted. Any reviews of Vibgyor?

P.S - got information from my friends that Prakriya is now asking 1.5 lakhs per annum for Junior KG.
Old 5th February 2018, 18:03   #842
BHPian

Guys, any good schools around NRI Layout/Horamavu Village/ Ramamurthy Nagar, TC Palya area ?
Old 5th February 2018, 19:37   #843
Senior - BHPian

My Cousin and family is relocating to Bangalore from Pune and have shortlisted Brooksfield high near Electronic City and is looking for real life reviews - can BHPians please help? Is there any other schools in E.City he can look into, for admission to 3rd standard?

Most of the schools he checked have already closed the admission process.

--Anoop
Old 5th February 2018, 21:26   #844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Rajeevraj - Thanks again!! Vibgyor is opening a new branch in panathur road, next to Vaswani apartment. I visited them today. Since its a new branch, they are not asking for admission fess. Fess comes to around 80k INR and extra 3,000 for uniforms, books and shoes. I dont require transport for this school because my office is in Wells Fargo and i can drop my son and pick him up while going for lunch. So thats sorted. Any reviews of Vibgyor?
Have seen the new Vibgyor. Does it have enough space? Looked a bit congested and just on the road side. Would suggest you make sure they have the right approvals in place with respect to affiliation.

Personally I did not have a good opinion of Vibgyor when I visited the Harlur road branch. Too much of a 'corporate feel' in my opinion. . Also they refused to give a school tour without confirming admission. That was enough for me to walk away.

But again, as I mentioned in previous post- perspectives differ. Being a new school, you may not see the disadvantages I noticed.

Would recommend you check out couple more before finalizing. Just to get a different perspective.
Old 5th February 2018, 22:52   #845
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Personally I did not have a good opinion of Vibgyor when I visited the Harlur road branch. Too much of a 'corporate feel' in my opinion.
Wasn't it just a couple of years ago when Vibgyor was in the news for all the wrong reasons ? But then public memory is always short and we're very forgiving.

In fact now they seem to be growing as a group and opening more branches!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 06:45   #846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wasn't it just a couple of years ago when Vibgyor was in the news for all the wrong reasons ? But then public memory is always short and we're very forgiving.

In fact now they seem to be growing as a group and opening more branches!
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/1407...year-old-lying

Avoid that school.

When I was living in that area - my kids went to St.Patricks which is a bit beyond Wipro campus on Sarjapur road.

Run by Jesuits and had a very competent principal (a brother in the Patrician Brothers order which runs all the St.Michaels' / St.Patricks schools you find in Calcutta, Chennai etc). The school was only a few years old in 2015 when I was there, so some of the faculty were new hires and comparatively inexperienced but there were others that, according to my daughter, were great - rotated in from other schools belonging to the group. And the fees were VERY reasonable (fifty / sixty thousand a year I think, and no donation asked or given).

Last edited by hserus : 6th February 2018 at 06:47.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:22   #847
BHPian

@Rajeevraj - What you see from the front side of the road is just a half. They are still constructing it and seems spacious inside. Its near to my workplace and I can take care of pick up and drop. Only worry is the dust on those roads!

@hserus & @NPV - I am well aware of those incidents and I did mention to the admission counselors. Ever since that incident, they have removed all male staffs and only security at front gate is male. CCTV is also there. I am convinced about their reply. I am sure such steps are followed in other schools also. Also the incident happened almost 4 years ago. Regarding the St schools, I dont know why, but I have an aversion towards Convent or Christian schools. No offence to anyone, its just my view. One of my other factors on why i prefer VIBGYOR is they have branches across the city and even if i move or change my home, I can transfer my son to another branch.

Thank you all for your inputs!! It did help me in deciding the school.
Old 6th February 2018, 13:31   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@hserus & @NPV - I am well aware of those incidents and I did mention to the admission counselors. Ever since that incident, they have removed all male staffs and only security at front gate is male. CCTV is also there. I am convinced about their reply. I am sure such steps are followed in other schools also. Also the incident happened almost 4 years ago.

Thank you all for your inputs!! It did help me in deciding the school.
As I myself mentioned earlier, each person's priority and preferences are different, but did not want to hold my thought back. Hence this comment

Not sure if you are rushing into it a bit. Do try to see if you can talk to other Vibgyor parents and get some on the ground feedback before committing. As I mentioned in my previous post, Vibgyor gave me a very 'corporate' feel which means they were very good at projecting a very rosy picture and were very convincing. So some real world feedback to validate claims will be good.

The drop and pick up advantage you mentioned also may not last once your kid gets into 1st standard as by 2nd half of UKG/1st standard, they will have full day (till 3PM). Along the same lines, if proximity to your office is a criteria, you should check out New Horizon Gurukul and Geetanjali Olympiad school which are close to Vibgyor.

Again, not intending to question your decision or dissuade you, just sharing my thoughts.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:00   #849
BHPian

Quote:
As I myself mentioned earlier, each person's priority and preferences are different, but did not want to hold my thought back. Hence this comment

Not sure if you are rushing into it a bit. Do try to see if you can talk to other Vibgyor parents and get some on the ground feedback before committing. As I mentioned in my previous post, Vibgyor gave me a very 'corporate' feel which means they were very good at projecting a very rosy picture and were very convincing. So some real world feedback to validate claims will be good.

The drop and pick up advantage you mentioned also may not last once your kid gets into 1st standard as by 2nd half of UKG/1st standard, they will have full day (till 3PM). Along the same lines, if proximity to your office is a criteria, you should check out New Horizon Gurukul and Geetanjali Olympiad school which are close to Vibgyor.

Again, not intending to question your decision or dissuade you, just sharing my thoughts.
Thanks Rajeev! I have planned to visit the New Horizon and Anand Shiksha Kendra today. The drop and pick up advantage is there for me, since my office is flexible with timings and I am the lead in my team So near to my office makes both my son's and my life good! I will post my feedback after visiting the 2 schools.
Old 7th February 2018, 15:29   #850
BHPian

Quote:
So near to my office makes both my son's and my life good! I will post my feedback after visiting the 2 schools.
Make sure that the transport time to school is not beyond 15 minutes. Ideally, school should be close to your residence or within 15 -20 minutes of travel time. I believe you have considered, what if 1) You change your job 2)Your company moves to a different place 3) You don't go to office.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:27   #851
BHPian

TBHPians,

Staying in Sarjapur Road beyond Wipro. Looking for admission to Grade 11 or PUC for my son in upcoming school year. Requirements

1. PCMC stream
2. Sufficient weightage to activities beyond academics
3. Not more than 30 mins to reach school, preferably towards sarjapur than towards city.

Looking for recommendations, especially first person experiences.

-tortoise
Old 8th February 2018, 10:47   #852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
TBHPians,

Staying in Sarjapur Road beyond Wipro. Looking for admission to Grade 11 or PUC for my son in upcoming school year. Requirements

1. PCMC stream
2. Sufficient weightage to activities beyond academics
3. Not more than 30 mins to reach school, preferably towards sarjapur than towards city.

Looking for recommendations, especially first person experiences.

-tortoise
No first person experience. But kids of couple of known folks in office go to Primus Publlic School for 11th/PUC. One of them stay in HSR and other in BTM. So if they travel all the way to Sarjapur Road, I assume it must be good.

Harvest International School also has 11th and 12th (CBSE) and have good focus on non-academic activities (My daughter goes there-But only in 1st standard)

If you stay beyond Wipro, both these will be well within 30 min.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th February 2018 at 10:48.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:53   #853
BHPian

Quote:
No first person experience. But kids of couple of known folks in office go to Primus Publlic School for 11th/PUC. One of them stay in HSR and other in BTM. So if they travel all the way to Sarjapur Road, I assume it must be good.
Rajeevraj, firstly thank you for super fast response. I am planning to go to Primus tomorrow and was wondering if it is good. Will PM you

-tortoise
Old 8th February 2018, 13:08   #854
BHPian

Friends, Need help/suggestions for finding a good +1/PU school for my family member. He did his schooling till 10th on NIOS (National Institute for Open Schooling) syllabus from a reputed school in Bangalore. Since he studied only English, he cannot read/write any other language and that puts him out of the purview of ICSE and KA State syllabus as both mandates a second language.
We are more inclined to alternate education systems like the Vocational and technical schools and even prefer to continue the NIOS stream. Unfortunately, his current school does not have +1. We are finding it tough to spot a good school/college with that stream of studies. Do you have any suggestions for such schools in and around Bangalore?

I have heard that CBSE syllabus does not mandate a second language and you can opt English as second language. If thats true, then that might be a last option.

Last edited by Holyghost : 8th February 2018 at 13:11.
Old 8th February 2018, 17:12   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post

I have heard that CBSE syllabus does not mandate a second language and you can opt English as second language. If thats true, then that might be a last option.
ISC (+2 for ICSE) has only English as mandatory. 2nd language is optional. This was the case until recently, I am not sure if the schools in Bangalore conventionally follow it.
CBSE, on the other hand has mandatory second language. But I have heard of a second paper in English being taught.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks