Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 19:30   #196
Team-BHP Support

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I am also in the "market" for my kids (would be 3+ years in June next year) nursery admission. There are two chains of thought running in the house right now! One says send her to a kids school (the likes of Neev, Klay etc) for the next three years and then shift her to a proper school after that. The second chain of thought favors getting her into a proper school right away! There are no clear cut answers and we (both myself and wife) are terribly confused. There are two advantages with going for the big school -
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Wow, its as if you are describing my situation, accurate to the last detail including location! Where are you put up? Perhaps we can share some notes.
Some generic comments:

- There is no single correct method. Both schools of thought are fine.
- Main thing is to start with at least one of them for sure. Because at this age, they need to talk other kids enjoy the part of being in a group
- The only point on going to a big school rightaway is that there are no exams.
- But for first standard, schools conduct exams, which in today's times cannot be avoided, but I find it difficult to digest.
- I see kids at young age also make friends, So changing schools later also alters their social circle (Not that its fatal, but something they again need to adapt to)
- So trying your luck at early stages with good schools is not a bad idea
- As regards to distance its very individual opinion.
- Some really want good schools and hence dont mind their kids travel long
- While others dont want kids to travel and hence are OK with what ever decent is available nearby.
- Well there does exist a trade-off there
- Another approach is you can also adopt a mix of both if you find good schools and play schools in vicinity.
- Let the kid go to school and after school also spend some time at the play school.
- This works very well, if both parents are working

Last edited by ampere : 9th October 2012 at 19:32.
Old 9th October 2012, 19:46   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
Thanks again Ranjit
Chanced upon this,thought might come in handy for you Bangalore folks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bangal...085010?fref=ts
Old 9th October 2012, 19:53   #198
BHPian

Re: Bangalore School Admissions

Quote:
The school management is more of a group of teachers and parents with interest in making the Waldorf system work for their children.
I am a big fan of waldorf and steiner methodologies. However, we need to check what syllabus they confirm to. Usually they are IB/International sylabi based. Only one or two follow ICSE. With IB chances of further education in India are almost limited as they are not recognized here.
Old 9th October 2012, 20:09   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Usually they are IB/International sylabi based. Only one or two follow ICSE. With IB chances of further education in India are almost limited as they are not recognized here.
Beg to differ here,the Bangalore school as Yosbert mentioned hasnt decided on what they are going to integrate into at class 7,but all the other Waldorf schools in India (Abhaya,Sloka,Tridha & Pune Steiner) all are affiliated to the Indian educational systems.Abhaya & Sloka are CBSE affiliated while Tridha is ICSE and Pune Steiner I dont think has decided either.All the Waldorf schools are very much and if I may say hard core "Indian" in their approach.Yes they do have reciprocal arrangements with Waldorf schools in other parts of the world but nothing in the syllabus,which is very much Indian.

OT,Kolkota too has a Waldorf kindergarten now called Navankur Steiner.
Old 9th October 2012, 20:11   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Beg to differ here,the Bangalore school as Yosbert mentioned hasnt decided on what they are going to integrate into at class 7,but all the other Waldorf schools in India (Abhaya,Sloka,Tridha & Pune Steiner) all are affiliated to the Indian educational systems.Abhaya & Sloka are CBSE affiliated while Tridha is ICSE and Pune Steiner I dont think has decided either.All the Waldorf schools are very much and if I may say hard core "Indian" in their approach.Yes they do have reciprocal arrangements with Waldorf schools in other parts of the world but nothing in the syllabus,which is very much Indian.

OT,Kolkota too has a Waldorf kindergarten now called Navankur Steiner.
Thanks for the info. I had checked up a couple of schools and they were IB affiliated. Also the affiliations are not clearly mentioned. As I had said I am a big fan of their model of education, so this is good news for me.
Old 9th October 2012, 20:15   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Thanks for the info. I had checked up a couple of schools and they were IB affiliated. Also the affiliations are not clearly mentioned. As I had said I am a big fan of their model of education, so this is good news for me.
Good to hear that,would be a good idea if you could please share the info on the ones that are affiliated to IB,would greatly help people coming in here.

IIRC,as per latest govt rules,schools are supposed to prominently display the affiliations and their affiliation number on all documentation and display boards(whether they choose to do it or not is as good a guess as anybodys )
Old 9th October 2012, 20:39   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Chanced upon this,thought might come in handy for you Bangalore folks

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bangal...085010?fref=ts
Thanks for sharing. Was aware of that already.
By the way, thanks once again for introducing me to the Waldorf system. Quite refreshing I must say! Since the folks here are working closely with the Hyderabad schools, I guess they will evolve a framework quite similar to theirs. May need to get back to you for more information in the near future.
Old 10th October 2012, 11:25   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to make a generic comment on the school bus part that you would be amazed at how kids take to school transport.The fears and worries are in the parents' minds and the kids are hardly bothered about it
Actually I quite agree with you (and personally I am totally for my kid using the bus only) but then there are higher powers at home who have all sorts of rational/irrational fears. It does not help that there are peers in our society to fuel the irrational fears as well. And it also does not help there are enough horror stories on net about school buses. Had enough fights and I've now given up! Settled on a truce that either we'll move home close enough to school to walk home or will have to buy a new (second) car!!!

Quote:
Wow, its as if you are describing my situation, accurate to the last detail including location! Where are you put up? Perhaps we can share some notes.
I'm put up very near to Intel. Would PM you details. We can talk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Some generic comments:

- There is no single correct method. Both schools of thought are fine.
- Main thing is to start with at least one of them for sure. Because at this age, they need to talk other kids enjoy the part of being in a group
- The only point on going to a big school rightaway is that there are no exams.
- But for first standard, schools conduct exams, which in today's times cannot be avoided, but I find it difficult to digest.
- I see kids at young age also make friends, So changing schools later also alters their social circle (Not that its fatal, but something they again need to adapt to)
- So trying your luck at early stages with good schools is not a bad idea
- As regards to distance its very individual opinion.
- Some really want good schools and hence dont mind their kids travel long
- While others dont want kids to travel and hence are OK with what ever decent is available nearby.
- Well there does exist a trade-off there
- Another approach is you can also adopt a mix of both if you find good schools and play schools in vicinity.
- Let the kid go to school and after school also spend some time at the play school.
- This works very well, if both parents are working
These are valuable inputs. Thanks. Though dont help much with solving the dilemma

By the way, there was a news item in today's TOI that govt has instructed schools to start admissions only after Jan next year (for 2013-14 session). Any thoughts on that? Can it mean peaceful Diwali this year
Old 10th October 2012, 11:34   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I'm put up very near to Intel. Would PM you details. We can talk about it.
If you are close to Intel, you should look at New Horizon Gurukul. I have heard good things about it.

Quote:
These are valuable inputs. Thanks. Though dont help much with solving the dilemma
That is why I said they were generic!
If you and your wife both work, its would be good, if you start looking at big school right away. Because that would help establish the kid earlier.

Quote:
By the way, there was a news item in today's TOI that govt has instructed schools to start admissions only after Jan next year (for 2013-14 session). Any thoughts on that? Can it mean peaceful Diwali this year
No idea about this. I hear many places admissions are over.
Old 17th November 2012, 16:33   #205
BHPian

my son tunrs 4 next week, currently in Nursery Eurokids Sahakarnagar. Today had been to Jain Heritage at Kempapura. The School looks good.
Wanted know any feedback, the good and the bad.
The other school we would love for him to go is to VidyaNiketan at Kempapura but that would mean he completes the next two years at Eurokids and then we try VNS The fact of VNS is getting a seat is compareable to winning the jackpot so the probabilty is quite low.
Any other thoughts from Bhpians in this area on good schools.
Old 18th November 2012, 18:36   #206
Senior - BHPian

For the benefit of Bangalore people,Bangalore Steiner School is organising an Open Day on Dec 1st from 0945 for admissions to classes-Prep to Class 3. www.bangalorsteinerschool.org/news.html
Old 18th November 2012, 20:28   #207
Senior - BHPian

There was a typo in the earlier link.Here's the correct one.Thanks NPV.

www.bangaloresteinerschool.org/news.html
Old 28th November 2012, 12:10   #208
BHPian

For all Bangalore parents. Admissions for academic year 2013-14 is open for NPS, Indiranagar (I think the others too). They will start accepting admission forms from Monday, 3rd December onwards. Below is a link to the relevant website
http://www.npsinr.com/index.php?file...ontact_details

Let the roulette start .
Old 28th November 2012, 15:58   #209
BHPian

The "School Admissions" Thread

Came across this piece of information from times of india:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17395411.cms

Providing value education should have been the duty of our government for the tax payers, sad to see such things happening.
Old 28th November 2012, 16:36   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Came across this piece of information from times of india:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/17395411.cms

Providing value education should have been the duty of our government for the tax payers, sad to see such things happening.
I believe that its more to do with the attitude of the parents than anything. Right?

We complain schools are expensive. Yes, it is. But who is pushing it up? Sad to say, but its Demand.

Most Viewed