Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 14:22   #256
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
For the upcoming academic year, I enrolled my daughter to Vibgyor High at Horamavu for 1st Std. You might want to consider this school too. Check the reviews in the following link:
http://www.parentree.in/BalaJana/jou...-Horamavu.html
2500cc - thank you for the revert. I shall look at VIBGYOR also. At the same time it would be of immense help if you could give me a few pointers on the schools i have listed out. I am sure you would also have done your research on some of these schools (if not all). Whats your feedback?
Old 21st March 2013, 14:43   #257
BHPian

Actually I did consider few schools mentioned by you, but they (Aditi Mallya, NPS and DPS) were way beyond my budget and were too far. Few parents mentioned that FAPS and other convents like Clarence and Sophia's have lost the glory they carried in the past. So I didn't bother too much about them. VIBGYOR is about 5kms from my house and well within my affordable limits, they emphasize a lot on personality development along with academics. So choosed this one.
Old 21st March 2013, 15:07   #258
Senior - BHPian

I had a funny experience when I applied for my daughter's admission in a Bangalore school 4 years back. We were asked to appear for a meeting with the principal. We were initially told that there are no vacancies in that particular school, but the same management was running another school elsewhere in Bangalore and admission can be provided there. We were not too keen on that.

Then the principal asked us about our educational backgrounds and on learning of my wife's qualifications, she was offered a job there!! She was unemployed at that point of time, but we were not really looking for a job for my wife. There would also be an issue with school timings for my daughter (whichever school she was in) and my wife's work timings if she took up the job. So we refused.

Then the principal made the deal sweeter by saying, "If you take up this position, we can give admission to your daughter in this school. So mother and child can come and go together". That was an offer we couldn't refuse!

So having gone for admission for my daughter, we came back with the admission secured and a job for my wife!
Old 21st March 2013, 15:54   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I had a funny experience when I applied for my daughter's admission in a Bangalore school 4 years back. We were asked to appear for a meeting with the principal. We were initially told that there are no vacancies in that particular school, but the same management was running another school elsewhere in Bangalore and admission can be provided there. We were not too keen on that.

Then the principal asked us about our educational backgrounds and on learning of my wife's qualifications, she was offered a job there!! She was unemployed at that point of time, but we were not really looking for a job for my wife. There would also be an issue with school timings for my daughter (whichever school she was in) and my wife's work timings if she took up the job. So we refused.

Then the principal made the deal sweeter by saying, "If you take up this position, we can give admission to your daughter in this school. So mother and child can come and go together". That was an offer we couldn't refuse!

So having gone for admission for my daughter, we came back with the admission secured and a job for my wife!
Thats an interesting incident! The deal is almost like 'buy one get one free' ! On a lighter note - did the school pay salary to your wife or was it adjusted by way of fees?
Old 21st March 2013, 17:06   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Actually I did consider few schools mentioned by you, but they (Aditi Mallya, NPS and DPS) were way beyond my budget and were too far.
Actually NPS is not that costly fees are in same range as Vibgyor but due to demand supply gap getting admission is matter of chance. And admissions for next year session closes by Nov-Dec.

Vibgyor has multiple branches and is very good option for people who move from other cities. One more school which can be considered is freedom international School HSR , Fees are lower then other schools too.

BTW AFAIK Nalanda National Public School - Yelenhanka is not associated with NPS in anyway also there is one more school BGS NPS on Bannerghatta road which is not part of NPS group of schools.

In fact BGS NPS has more high end facilities ( classroom , indoor playground , AC etc) and high fees compared to NPS , but somewhere I belive that good infrastructure is good to have but not core of a good school.
That does not mean that the school with facilities may not be good in itself
Old 21st March 2013, 20:51   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Actually NPS is not that costly fees are in same range as Vibgyor but due to demand supply gap getting admission is matter of chance. And admissions for next year session closes by Nov-Dec.

Vibgyor has multiple branches and is very good option for people who move from other cities. One more school which can be considered is freedom international School HSR , Fees are lower then other schools too.

BTW AFAIK Nalanda National Public School - Yelenhanka is not associated with NPS in anyway also there is one more school BGS NPS on Bannerghatta road which is not part of NPS group of schools.

In fact BGS NPS has more high end facilities ( classroom , indoor playground , AC etc) and high fees compared to NPS , but somewhere I belive that good infrastructure is good to have but not core of a good school.
That does not mean that the school with facilities may not be good in itself
Amit, Thank you for your inputs. The Nalanda NPS appears to be associated to the NPS chain. If you see the link below it states that it is an 'associate' of the other similarly named schools. Anyways thanks for pointing out and i will do a double check on their affiliation as and when they call us for an interaction. Apparently it is going to be the first batch of children at the NPS Yelahanka. I completely agree with your view that a good infrastructure by itself does not make a good school.

http://npsyelahanka.com/index.php?page=associateschools

Last edited by Rajeev1 : 21st March 2013 at 20:52. Reason: removed excess smileys
Old 22nd March 2013, 14:27   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeev1 View Post
Amit, Thank you for your inputs. The Nalanda NPS appears to be associated to the NPS chain. If you see the link below it states that it is an 'associate' of the other similarly named schools. Anyways thanks for pointing out and i will do a double check on their affiliation as and when they call us for an interaction. Apparently it is going to be the first batch of children at the NPS Yelahanka. I completely agree with your view that a good infrastructure by itself does not make a good school.

http://npsyelahanka.com/index.php?page=associateschools

Thanks for correcting me yes Nalanda NPS looks to be from same group.
IIRC yelenhanka was not there last year so I thought it is some different
school.

However there are few other a few schools with name NPS which are not part of same group so I wrote.
Old 27th March 2013, 17:57   #263
BHPian

Hi Friends, Im in a dilemma and Im stuck.

My elder kid goes to Prakriya, in sarjapur road. I was looking to put my son in the same school for Prep-1 ( LKG) . Unfortunately the school has not had any dropouts from this year and no new admissions are being taken for prep-1.

We were planning to shift towards HSR/Sarjapur road , which would be closer for the kids to reach the school.

Now I need to find an alternate school for my son. He is Sep-2008 born so most schools would take him in UKG.

I moved my daughter from Cathedral High School to Prakriya last year as I was fed up with the convent teaching. Wanted her to learn and not be taught. For my son Prakriya thus was the natural choice, but that seems tough now.

Any suggestions on good schools near HSR/Sarjapur road, that would not be too academic oriented ? Need some school which gives equal importance to co-curricular learning as well.

Pls help.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:19   #264
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Any suggestions on good schools near HSR/Sarjapur road, that would not be too academic oriented ? Need some school which gives equal importance to co-curricular learning as well.
I'm not too familar with the schools in HSR Layout but know a couple of them from friends whose children study there - NPS (definitely too academic oriented) & Freedom International (not sure about the academic orientation part).

Additionally, from quick search on the net I also found JSS, Chinmaya Vidya Mandira and Vibgyor so these may be options as well.
Old 27th March 2013, 18:31   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I'm not too familar with the schools in HSR Layout but know a couple of them from friends whose children study there - NPS (definitely too academic oriented) & Freedom International (not sure about the academic orientation part).

Additionally, from quick search on the net I also found JSS, Chinmaya Vidya Mandira and Vibgyor so these may be options as well.
Thanks NPV.

NPS admissions are closed is what Im told. Not too keen on Freedom and JSS.

I did check on Vibgyor and trying to go there personally to find out about the school and premises. Chinmaya needs to be checked.

On reviews most of them sound like the run in the mill kind of convent schools, though they have the attractive tags in names. Thats the worry .
Old 27th March 2013, 18:45   #266
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks NPV.

NPS admissions are closed is what Im told. Not too keen on Freedom and JSS.

I did check on Vibgyor and trying to go there personally to find out about the school and premises. Chinmaya needs to be checked.

On reviews most of them sound like the run in the mill kind of convent schools, though they have the attractive tags in names. Thats the worry .
@mannubhai - I have also heard that the school run by GEAR foundation is good (I guess it's in the vicinity, Sarajapura area).
Old 27th March 2013, 18:54   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@mannubhai - I have also heard that the school run by GEAR foundation is good (I guess it's in the vicinity, Sarajapura area).
Yes, I did check that option. The reviews from parents across the board seem to be negative. But i want to go there and check personally.

As they say, one will shout when you are unhappy, and keep silent when happy.

Any one have any reviews of the Zee School in HSR ? My son currently goes to Kidzee. Was wondering if it might be a natural progress for him.
Old 27th March 2013, 20:12   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanish View Post
I am planning to go for the open house on December 1st and will try to find out what ever I can and share with you.
ALex, Did you go for the open house ? any further updates. I just checked their site. Looks like the last open house is also over.

Thanks a ton Ranjith for the suggestion.

Ill try to call them tomorrow and hope for the best
Old 27th March 2013, 20:30   #269
BHPian

I couldn't go for the event. Moreover the distance to the school from our house is more than what I imagined and I don't want my son to travel so far everyday. Moving to a nearby place is an option which I haven't considered yet.
Old 27th March 2013, 21:27   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends, Im in a dilemma and Im stuck.

My elder kid goes to Prakriya, in sarjapur road. I was looking to put my son in the same school for Prep-1 ( LKG) . Unfortunately the school has not had any dropouts from this year and no new admissions are being taken for prep-1.

We were planning to shift towards HSR/Sarjapur road , which would be closer for the kids to reach the school.

Now I need to find an alternate school for my son. He is Sep-2008 born so most schools would take him in UKG.

I moved my daughter from Cathedral High School to Prakriya last year as I was fed up with the convent teaching. Wanted her to learn and not be taught. For my son Prakriya thus was the natural choice, but that seems tough now.

Pls help.
Maybe an option to consider : http://www.kara.in/index.html

Most Viewed