Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2013, 23:34   #391
BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I always wondered about this. I mostly attended average to bad schools, including rural government schools. So I don't understand what really happens when somebody attends a great school like Cottons or Bethany or Joseph.

Can one of the alumni from these elite schools shed some light on this. Only famous place I attended was National College [Jayanagar, Bangalore], but I can't say it helped me in any way, then or later.
I too have mostly studied in an aided school. Let me try and put in a few points -
1 -> Sports infrastructure is usually shambolic. The school that I studied in did not have a proper table tennis table for example.
2 -> Most schools force you to become mug pots. I certainly do remember that we had our games periods cancelled quite often so that we would study
3 -> Everybody is moulded similarly. 95% of the people who studied with me belong to 2-3 professions. That is not the case with my friends from cottons.
4 -> Overall exposure
5 -> I certainly do believe that these schools have better facilities and infrastructure. If you are of the sort who knows how to use them well, it could be the ideal place (self motivation is important)
6 -> Quality of Languages is usually better. This may or may not be important. There are counter examples where in people who have attended so called ordinary schools speak better English. Again this is a minority. It needs quite a bit of a extra initiative from the students themselves. This mostly stems from the syllabus. Most of this so called elite schools tend to follow CBSE/ICSE which is quite superior to State syllabus in terms of language.
7 -> Discipline levels in convent type schools is usually better.

These points are based on my own experience, when I compared some of my friends who came from so called ordinary schools and others who came from schools like cottons.
Old 4th December 2013, 15:21   #392
Oxy
BHPian

My son is now 20 months old, so I am on a look out for a Playschool to put him in.

I am evaluating whether to put him in a proper school's playschool directly now, so that it becomes easier for him to continue in that very school, or do I put him in any playschool near my home for now and then look for a proper school in another year or two. How did parents here take this decision?

And also, how do you guys decide between CBSE and ICSE? Is it true that these days the kids' learning is not tested properly in CBSE schools, as there is hardly any pressure of exams?
Old 4th December 2013, 15:33   #393
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I am evaluating whether to put him in a proper school's playschool directly now, so that it becomes easier for him to continue in that very school, or do I put him in any playschool near my home for now and then look for a proper school in another year or two. How did parents here take this decision?
Its not necessary that good schools may have good play schools. I would say hunt for a good play school close to your house. That would help much better for the child to adapt. And look for a good school mont/KG next year. If you have the luxury of a decent school close to house take it. That way you can also continue with the same play school next year for the post school hours if needed. The chain does not break.

CBSE Vs ICSE : Cant say much there.
Old 4th December 2013, 15:40   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My son is now 20 months old, so I am on a look out for a Playschool to put him in.
Your kid is still young to join any school. The minimum age (as on June 30 of any year) to join school is
Nursery: 2y 9m (33 months)
LKG: 3y 9m (45 months)
UKG: 4y 9m (57 months)
Class 1: 5y 9m (69 months)
Quote:
My daughter went to a montessori near my home. I am looking for class 1 admission now. Our neighbour's kid is going to a Nursery to 12th school from beginning. So its your decision & kid's comfort. If the 'proper' school is nearby and is good then opt for it. Otherwise it unnecessary travel. Note that 'proper' school's fees is 2 or 3 times the playschool fees.
Quote:
And also, how do you guys decide between CBSE and ICSE?
CBSE/ICSE starts from Class 1. It is still a long way for you to decide.
Quote:
Is it true that these days the kids' learning is not tested properly in CBSE schools, as there is hardly any pressure of exams?
Class 10 exam is not public in CBSE. It only at school level, but still there is exam

Last edited by msdivy : 4th December 2013 at 15:41.
Old 4th December 2013, 15:58   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And also, how do you guys decide between CBSE and ICSE? Is it true that these days the kids' learning is not tested properly in CBSE schools, as there is hardly any pressure of exams?
If your intended school is having a playschool,imo,put him there,simply for the reason that it might work out economical.For me personally,my daughter never went to a playschool,she started off with nursery-kg1-kg2 in the proper school itself.

there is no thumb rule afaik in choosing between cbse and icse.i guess its just got to do with what the parents think and everyone is more or less biased towards one syllabus or the other.
Old 4th December 2013, 16:04   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How did parents here take this decision?
My son is now 27 months and he is going to a play school near the house. We have decided to put him in nursery in the school where he will continue until 10th or 12th. The decision was solely based on the fact that the schools near our house did not have play school and started only from nursery/Mont1 onwards.

Quote:

ICSE = Exams are for 1100 or 1300 marks as they have around 11 or 13 subjects in total. Lot of homework and project work (which the parents end up doing rather than the children in most cases = ) etc.

CBSE = Exams are for 500 marks. Not much project work, home work mostly over the weekend. The child does not have any pressure until they are 10 years old.

So we decided to go for CBSE schools in our neighborhood.
Old 11th December 2013, 13:23   #397
Senior - BHPian

Alternate Education Schools in Bangalore

Here is a list of schools that are in the field of alternate education methods(all these schools are inclusive schools not differentiating between so called "normal" kids and kids with learning disabilities).Please feel free to add in.

Aurinko Academy www.aurinkoacademy.com

Poorna www.poorna.in

CFL:www.cfl.in

Valley School: www.thevalleyschool.info

Larkspur: www.larkspuredu.com

Bangalore Steiner: www.bangaloresteinerschool.org

Shibumi : www.shibumi.org.in

Bhavya: www.bhavyalearning.org

Prakriya: www.prakriyaschool.com

For people interested in alternative schools in India,this is a very resourceful website:

http://www.alternativeeducationindia.net/
Old 11th December 2013, 17:53   #398
Senior - BHPian

People looking to admit their children at Abhaya Waldorf,Hyderabad-please see the attached circular.Register by Dec 14.2013.

The School & College Admissions Thread-image1852006796.jpg
Old 12th December 2013, 11:04   #399
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Your kid is still young to join any school. The minimum age (as on June 30 of any year) to join school is
Nursery: 2y 9m (33 months)
LKG: 3y 9m (45 months)
UKG: 4y 9m (57 months)
Class 1: 5y 9m (69 months)
Today I went to a playschool called Bachpan (www.bachpanglobal.com), which is a five minute walk away from my home. They claim to have 900 schools all over India. Does anybody here have an experience with this one?

They do Pre school, Nursery, LKG and UKG. I was surprised when they told me that they usually consider 2+ year old kids for Nursery, because they believe that the child requires only about 3 to 7 months in a preschool. An entire year in a playschool is quite a stretch according to them.

So now, as per them, I can get my 20 month old kid enrolled right away for preschool, so that by June 2014, he can get into Nursery. They say that in North India, the schools take kids into Grade 1 at the age of 5+, unlike here in Bangalore where usually the Grade 1 age is 6+.

If I take this route, my child would have to repeat either LKG or UKG in a proper school later on. So what do you guys think? Do I enrol my child into this one right away, or wait till June for the preschool session to start in Eurokids for example? I feel he gets way too bored being at home all day, so this might be a welcome change to him.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:20   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Today I went to a playschool called Bachpan (www.bachpanglobal.com), which is a five minute walk away from my home. They claim to have 900 schools all over India. Does anybody here have an experience with this one?

They do Pre school, Nursery, LKG and UKG. I was surprised when they told me that they usually consider 2+ year old kids for Nursery, because they believe that the child requires only about 3 to 7 months in a preschool. An entire year in a playschool is quite a stretch according to them.

So now, as per them, I can get my 20 month old kid enrolled right away for preschool, so that by June 2014, he can get into Nursery. They say that in North India, the schools take kids into Grade 1 at the age of 5+, unlike here in Bangalore where usually the Grade 1 age is 6+.

If I take this route, my child would have to repeat either LKG or UKG in a proper school later on. So what do you guys think? Do I enrol my child into this one right away, or wait till June for the preschool session to start in Eurokids for example? I feel he gets way too bored being at home all day, so this might be a welcome change to him.
My daughter goes to Eurokids playgroup. She is 32 months now and enjoys going to school and playing with others. She will join PGI next June when she is 3 years and after 3 years in PGI, PGII and PGIII, will enter Grade 1 at 6 years.
Old 12th December 2013, 11:28   #401
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
My daughter goes to Eurokids playgroup. She is 32 months now and enjoys going to school and playing with others. She will join PGI next June when she is 3 years and after 3 years in PGI, PGII and PGIII, will enter Grade 1 at 6 years.
Thank you.

Are you planning to continue with Eurokids till PGIII? Or will you be looking out for a proper school after PGI? I have heard that it's difficult to get fresh admissions to Grade 1 in any school if your kid did not do LKG/UKG from that school.
Old 12th December 2013, 12:13   #402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
about 3 to 7 months in a preschool. An entire year in a playschool is quite a stretch according to them.

No comments on how you should plan your admissions as that is a purely individualistic decsn,but what I would like to raise is that there is no difference between N.India and S.India.The age limit of 6yrs in class 1 is something that the CBSE and ICSE boards have laid down,how it is manipulated is left upto the schools.Personally a child is going to be ready to cope up with teh pressures of a class1 only by the time he is going to be 6+,anything earlier and its unnecessary pressure on kids.

As for your dilemma on LKG,Nursery etc,the best would be to put your child in a nursery followed by LKG and UKG.Nursery and preschool I hardly find any difference.
Old 12th December 2013, 14:31   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you.

Are you planning to continue with Eurokids till PGIII? Or will you be looking out for a proper school after PGI? I have heard that it's difficult to get fresh admissions to Grade 1 in any school if your kid did not do LKG/UKG from that school.
We will be putting her in another school for PG1. That way we dont have to change until class X or XII again. It is difficult to get admission to Grade I directly.
Old 12th December 2013, 16:27   #404
BHPian

Quote:

If I take this route, my child would have to repeat either LKG or UKG in a proper school later on.
All kids born in calendar year 2011 will be eligible for Nursery session starting in June 2014. This nursery is the one that is followed by LKG and UKG before class 1. Its very simple there need not be any confusion whatsoever. Though some of the schools and play schools etc are willing to get them admitted even before they attain the required age, obviously for the money. AFAIK in Delhi there is a ruling for schools not to admit students before they are 3 years of age.

The difference between south and north is that there is a trend of 3 years of education before class 1 in south(Nursary, PP1,PP2) where as it is only 2 yrs in North(Nursery,KG). There is no point hurrying the kid into a play school. If the kid is physically and mentally not ready then the experience may turnout nightmarish for him/her.
Old 12th December 2013, 18:24   #405
BHPian

Is it ok if we directly send our kid to LKG at 3+ years? Or is it mandate that a kid should have done his/her nursery?

Most Viewed