Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2014, 21:04   #436
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
NPS has been the most sought after school in Bangalore for decades now. Its quite tough to get in though.
There are quite a few branches of NPS and I was wondering if the one in Indiranagar is also equally good.
Old 7th January 2014, 21:47   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

There are quite a few branches of NPS and I was wondering if the one in Indiranagar is also equally good.
If I am not mistaken, NPS Indiranagar is the oldest\most reputed among the branches in Bangalore. But it is very tough to get in and I have heard that they are very focused on academics and expect every one to score above 80 in the higher classes( this is a feedback I heard. Not sure how true it is)
Old 7th January 2014, 21:56   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If I am not mistaken, NPS Indiranagar is the oldest\most reputed among the branches in Bangalore. But it is very tough to get in and I have heard that they are very focused on academics and expect every one to score above 80 in the higher classes( this is a feedback I heard. Not sure how true it is)
Do they only concentrate on Academics or include sports as a part of the curricullum. I dont want to put my kid into a place where all he is expected to do is study and nothing else. I am still not sure if I will get in NPS, but taking in all feedback possible.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:14   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Do they only concentrate on Academics or include sports as a part of the curricullum. I dont want to put my kid into a place where all he is expected to do is study and nothing else. I am still not sure if I will get in NPS, but taking in all feedback possible.
Sorry, do not have detailed info on that. I assume they will have sporting activities, but to what extent I do not know.
Old 7th January 2014, 22:37   #440
BANNED

Time for a little update.

It was time for school hunting for my Nephew ( presently 1 yr and 4 months ) , we zeroed in on Vidya Sagar near Hebbal, Supposed to be Highly Reputed and a well funded institution. Myself and Dad started at the serpentine queue at 7:45 am and Dad could only get out by 11:45 am after paying a handsome amount of Rs.500/- per application for Pre-Nursery

I submitted the application in a weeks time and was told by the office staff that they have given out close to 1000 applications for only 80 seats
Just dumbstruck at the cool money they made.

A few weeks later my bro was called for the so called interaction, just near the gate there was a temple procession which delayed our entry by 10 mins, we were given a RUDE look and a Rude remark, " WHY ARE YOU LATE - YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE 10 MINS AGO " There was a basic expected courtesy which was missing and somehow gave us a NEGATIVE impression about the so called Institution. So, we decided to skip this school.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 7th January 2014 at 22:39.
Old 8th January 2014, 12:18   #441
Senior - BHPian

Another good and very old Convent institution, St John's High School , 132, St John's Church road, Cleveland Town, Bangalore 560005 , is issuing LKG applications from 10-01-2014 to 25-01-2014 at next-door Union Bank daily between 09:30 am to 1 pm ! Submission deadline 31-01-2014

( child Eligibility : minimum 4 years age as on 01-06-2014 )

the school has a huge campus !
the fees are most reasonable !
the school is centrally located !

Historical Trivia : My Alma Mater , St Joseph's Boys' High School was earlier located in the same campus in the 19th century (then called 'St John's Hill')

Last edited by vinay kamath : 8th January 2014 at 12:35.
Old 10th January 2014, 12:40   #442
BHPian

Bishop Cottons, Bangalore has announced admissions for KG. Saw an ad in today's Times of India.
Old 10th January 2014, 15:32   #443
Senior - BHPian

Bishop Cottons, Bangalore has announced admissions for KG. Saw an ad in today's Times of India.

Another very good and very old Christian institution, where I later studied ISC ClassXII , BISHOP COTTON BOYS' SCHOOL, Residency road, Bangalore 560001 , is issuing LKG applications from 10-01-2014 to 25-01-2014 at next-door Union Bank daily between 09:30 am to 1 pm ! Submission deadline 31-01-2014

( child Eligibility : minimum 4 years age as on 01-06-2014 )

the school has the most huge campus !
the fees are high!
Old 10th January 2014, 15:51   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post

the school has the most huge campus !
the fees are high!
Fees are high- The last I know was about 45k couple of years back.
45K is now more or less average fees in Bangalore.
Old 21st January 2014, 19:40   #445
Senior - BHPian

St Joseph's Boys' High School LKG admissions are already underway.

I learnt today that St Joseph's Indian High School ( near Cubbon Park & next to Mallya Hospital ) is introducing LKG, UKG and I Std classes from 2014 , and admissions process commence on February 1, 2014.

I strongly recommend.
Old 21st January 2014, 23:32   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

It was time for school hunting for my Nephew ( presently 1 yr and 4 months )
Isnt it too early to begin schooling?
Old 22nd January 2014, 08:43   #447
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
Isnt it too early to begin schooling?
The age qualification for Pre-Nursery is 2 yrs at the time the academic year starts

Yes, its too early to begin schooling, hence we decided its better to let the child be and are looking at various other options.
Old 22nd January 2014, 12:01   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Time for a little update....

A few weeks later my bro was called for the so called interaction, just near the gate there was a temple procession which delayed our entry by 10 mins, we were given a RUDE look and a Rude remark, " WHY ARE YOU LATE - YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE HERE 10 MINS AGO " There was a basic expected courtesy which was missing and somehow gave us a NEGATIVE impression about the so called Institution. So, we decided to skip this school.
I personally think that it was a mistake you guys were late; even if it's by 10 mins. School is were we all get the basics of punctuality and I am happy the officials were strict about that. And you being in Bangalore for a good time, managing your time to reach school on time was a really bad decision. It definitely would NOT have hurt to plan to be there 15 mins early.

If it were me, I would have gladly placed my kid there since I am impressed about their focus on time & punctuality.

Edit:: Would you be happy if you had scheduled a meeting and the other party was late by 10 mins?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd January 2014 at 12:02.
Old 22nd January 2014, 17:50   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by #win View Post
45K is now more or less average fees in Bangalore.
Sample fees charged per year by schools, transport extra.
Carmel Convent Jayanagar - 12K
BGS NPS - 100K
New Horizon Gurukul - 115K
Ekya - 120K (no reduction in 2nd year onwards)
Most of these schools say there might 10% increase in fee every year.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:21   #450
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I personally think that it was a mistake you guys were late; even if it's by 10 mins. School is were we all get the basics of punctuality and I am happy the officials were strict about that. And you being in Bangalore for a good time, managing your time to reach school on time was a really bad decision. It definitely would NOT have hurt to plan to be there 15 mins early.

If it were me, I would have gladly placed my kid there since I am impressed about their focus on time & punctuality.

Edit:: Would you be happy if you had scheduled a meeting and the other party was late by 10 mins?
I call it ANARCHY.

Did they even mind that the parents stood in the biting early morning cold and late afternoon scorching sun to get hold of the application form. If the school was so focused on time and punctuality they should have opened the counter as mentioned by 9:00 am and not by 9:45 am . ( So you feel i must forego the trouble of standing in the Q for so long ) And what Focus are you talking, for 80 seats they gave out close to 3000 non refundable applications This is DAYLIGHT ROBBERY .

If they were focused,they would have made arrangements at their school gates to allow free entry to the applicants to get in. What Focus are you saying they are good at. Admit kids at the age of 2, they are not even kids, BABIES.

On the other hand, we have MES Kishore Kendra Public School ( ICSE )which has won the BRITISH COUNCIL AWARD FOR THE BEST SCHOOL 2012 - 13 they too accept admission for Pre-Kg but admissions are open only for kids of age 2.5 yrs and above during the academic year. They too give out applications, but they have a waiting lounge and well appointed counters to handle crowds. No Donations, No Building fees, No Influence. My daughter studies there from Pre-KG and she is in here 2nd standard. I must say, i am impressed so far.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 22nd January 2014 at 19:22.

Most Viewed