Quote:
which location in India are you looking for a school
We are in Chandigarh but I guess CBSE rules will be same across India
Old 17th July 2014, 20:32   #482
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
The school building must be as big as Phoenix market city then!

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Unfortunately no. My experience with VIBGYOR-Sarjapur Road Branch. When I was on the look out for admission to my daughter, VIBGYOR Sarjapur Road was one of the main contenders. The main negative feedback I had heard was that they take in students without any constraints on numbers. When I visited the school, I found that this was probably true. It was a 5-6 year old school and already had 2500 students, heavily skewed towards the lower sections where the number of sections were huge. But the school building was not very big and my first thought was how will this infrastructure support such a large number of students. That was the primary reason for rejecting this school. I had summarized the same earlier in this post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3328706

VIBGYOR Marathahalli as far as I know is older and has an even larger student strength.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:07   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
We are in Chandigarh but I guess CBSE rules will be same across India
The reason why schools insist on CBSE IX is because the CBSE X syllabus is a continuation of the IX curriculum now a days unlike the earlier times when they were exclusive.

However if the school you are approaching is satisfied that the syllabus your son has studied covers all the subjects taught in IX CBSE,then the principal has the authority to write to the CBSE Board and seek approval as a special case-but this is entirely left upto the sensitivities of the school and the principal in general.If the principal is convinced and is sensitive to your requirement,then he can do so.

This is what the CBSE Guideline for admission into Class X states:

Admission: Specific Requirements

7.3 Admission to Class X : - As the syllabus prescribed at Secondary level is of two years integrated course, no admission shall be taken in Class X directly. Provided further that admission to Class X in a school shall be open only to such a student who:

(a) has completed a regular course of study for class IX, and

(b) has passed class IX examination from an institution affiliated to this Board.

(c) A student who has completed a regular course of study for Class IX and has passed Class IX examination from an institution recognised by/affiliated to any recognised Board in India, other than this Board, can be admitted to a school only on the transfer of the parent(s) or shifting of their families from one place to another, after procuring from the students the mark sheet and the Transfer Certificate duly countersigned by the Educational Authorities of the Board concerned. In case of such admissions the schools would obtain post facto approval of the Board within one month of admission of the student.

The below said guideline is the one which you should seek to argue your case in your favor:

7.6 The admission of students passing qualifying examination from an examining body outside India shall be regulated according to the provisions contained in byelaw 6.2 of this chapter; provided that the condition of completing regular course of study for class IX and XI is satisfied in cases of admission to Class X and Class XII respectively.

And section 6.2 states:

No student migrating from a School in a foreign country, other than the School affiliated to this Board, shall be eligible for admission unless an eligibility certificate in respect of such a student has been obtained from this Board. For obtaining eligibility certificate from the Board, the Principal of the School to which admission is being sought will submit to the Board full details of the case and relevant documents with his own remarks/recommendations. The eligibility certificate will be issued by the Board only after the Board is satisfied that the course of study undergone and examination passed is equivalent to the corresponding class of this Board.

The other option incase you dont secure an admission into 10th and dont want to drop a year is by getting your son to write the NIOS 10th exam.It is becoming increasingly popular(National Institute of Open Schooling)wherein you can choose your subjects,write at your pace etc and is fully recognised for the 11th admissions and is recognised by every university and Ministry of HRD.Study materials and books can be availed online from NIOS.

www.nios.ac.in

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 17th July 2014 at 21:11.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:25   #484
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the information , I also did checked this at

http://www.cbse.nic.in/examin~1/admissionmt.htm

but missed co-relating section 6,2

I think this should work , Thanks for your advice .
Old 18th July 2014, 16:41   #485
Senior - BHPian

According to - Sexual assault on girl came to light after stranger called mother

Quote:
Susan madam had locked her up in the room to punish her, and after she left the room, gymnastic teachers Punya and Ranbir entered the room. The girl didn't say what happened, but would cry and complain of pain. She described Punya sir as a lean fellow and said Ranbir sir looked like actor Ranbir and was smart. On the morning of July 14, when we showed her the photographs of the two men, she repeated the same lines in the police station and identified them immediately," Radha told TOI.

The girl also said that another teacher, Pooja, had entered the room after the men had left and saw the child bleeding. She then brought a doctor with her, who administered an injection.
Haven't heard students being locked alone in a room in school for bad behavior. Did VIBGYOR parents knew about this quirkiness?
Old 18th July 2014, 16:57   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Thanks for the information , I also did checked this at

http://www.cbse.nic.in/examin~1/admissionmt.htm

but missed co-relating section 6,2

I think this should work , Thanks for your advice .
Curious - have you considered IB? These regulations seem quite stupid and seem designed to make a foreign returned parent waste a month or two just going from pillar to post getting the board's post facto approval. For each case? Wow! Instead they should have pre-approved the courses of foreign countries like US/Canada that are known to have good education systems and from where many Indians return as well.

Its not like the CBSE X syllabus is alchemy that is taught only in India, and is such a mystical rite of initiation that admitting a student from a foreign country (that too canada) would require such running around.

Mera bharat mahan!

OT: I seriously think such teaching shops as VIBGYOR should be simply shut down. It is one thing that such an incident happened (which is itself inexcusable), but that they covered it up nonchalantly shames me as an Indian and a parent. My responses and reactions simply cannot be vented on this board.

Last edited by phamilyman : 18th July 2014 at 17:01.
Old 18th July 2014, 17:10   #487
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Curious - have you considered IB?
Yes but they don't have any school in Chandigarh apparently ..

http://www.ibo.org/school/search/index.cfm?nextStart=6
Old 20th July 2014, 20:52   #488
BHPian

As a country, are we going back? Why so many incidents of violence against women of all ages across the country?

I feel very sad for the young little one who will not have any idea of what has happened to her. The people involved are not human beings.
Old 21st July 2014, 12:47   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Haven't heard students being locked alone in a room in school for bad behavior. Did VIBGYOR parents knew about this quirkiness?
Surprisingly few parents "think" it is acceptable method along with corporal punishment.Now a days there is some sensitization on why Solomon's adage on stick is plain wrong they think locking up is acceptable substitute.

Hopefully this incidence will come as a wakeup call and no other child will suffer like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ryan has been an option - but apparently not so positive reviews of the school.
Rayan in brook fields has thousands of students and dozens of sections in each class. This school has around 6K students as per information I got from some colleagues. Usually commercially minded school with huge strengths can not really manage each and every aspect and seeing what happened in Vibgyor with 2.5 K students I won't really recommend this school. Was it not just a chance that it was Vibgyor but not any other educational shop ?

On top of this Ryan believes in installing their political values to young students
for example this school decided unilaterally to close the school in Bangalore protesting against riots in Odisa until Karnataka government educational department sent them notice to revoke the permissions.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd July 2014 at 06:49. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 16th September 2014, 12:05   #490
BHPian

Time to enroll my twins in Nursery. Any suggestions on schools in Bannerghtta road (meenakshi side)?

Would like to know opinions on the following if you have your kids enrolled there
Sherwood,
Clarence
Mitra academy

Opinion on other schools are also welcome. I am looking at schools within 5 km from Meenakshi temple
Old 16th September 2014, 12:29   #491
Senior - BHPian

When we were studying in primary and middle schools, the number of sections used to be fixed and were about 2 or max 3. Are schools free to create any number of sections as they want ? Criteria should not be just the building area but other things too.
Old 16th September 2014, 15:10   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
When we were studying in primary and middle schools, the number of sections used to be fixed and were about 2 or max 3. Are schools free to create any number of sections as they want ? Criteria should not be just the building area but other things too.
Traditional schools (non-international ones) still have a limited number of sections ranging from 2 to 6. The international schools go all the way till 23-24 sections.
Old 16th September 2014, 15:33   #493
BHPian

My son is struggling in ICSE Standard 8 and I am planning to move him to IGCSE next year. Does anyone have an experience doing this? Also can someone tell their perception of IGCSE schools (preferably with IB) in Bangalore?
Old 16th September 2014, 15:41   #494
BANNED

Anybody has kids in MGM, kazhakoottam?
Old 19th September 2014, 18:57   #495
Senior - BHPian

Hi Friends
I have now moved to Pune from Bangalore. My son will be finishing his 5th Std now, and I will be on the hunt for a good school in Pune, for his next academic year, i.e 6th Std. Currently he is in CBSE board.

Any Puneites who can advise on good schools and admissions ease / difficulty will be highly appreciated.

The other thing is my hunt for a place to live, but this is a wrong thread, but advice on that will be welcome.

Most Viewed