Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2015, 12:39   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

CBSE is going to be a mess with the NCERT being heavily politicized in the opposite direction (which happens with every new govt but then we have a nda govt after a longish time so its particularly troublesome now)

Stick to ICSE - at least the standards remain the same - high - there regardless of govt changes. Also a close friend has her kids in Deen's and can't praise it enough.
Old 27th May 2015, 13:06   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am keen on CBSE, so that kind of rules out Vibgyor as well(but it is less than 2 km away) unless Vibgyor has started CBSE there.
You mentioned in another thread that "I am looking at CBSE and the nearest school Vibgyor is just ICSE."

Not sure where you got this impression from, but many consider ICSE to be superior to CBSE for its well-rounded education whereas CBSE is more focused on coursework. In any case, the two are as different as apples and oranges and I would urge you to re-look at ICSE as it is in no way inferior.

Around 10 years ago, my son got admission to a school in our locality around 2 kms away. But my heart was set on a famous convent school around 7 kms away which we never tried because my wife was adamant that she didn't want to send out child so far way. 10 years ago, it took me less than 10 minutes to reach my son's current school. Now the same distance takes around 45 minutes with 3 traffic signals and a perpetual pile-up on one signal. Considering Bangalore's real estate growth, traffic 10-12 years from now is something to keep in mind.
Old 27th May 2015, 13:17   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
You mentioned in another thread that "I am looking at CBSE and the nearest school Vibgyor is just ICSE."

Not sure where you got this impression from, but many consider ICSE to be superior to CBSE for its well-rounded education whereas CBSE is more focused on coursework. In any case, the two are as different as apples and oranges and I would urge you to re-look at ICSE as it is in no way inferior.

Around 10 years ago, my son got admission to a school in our locality around 2 kms away. But my heart was set on a famous convent school around 7 kms away which we never tried because my wife was adamant that she didn't want to send out child so far way. 10 years ago, it took me less than 10 minutes to reach my son's current school. Now the same distance takes around 45 minutes with 3 traffic signals and a perpetual pile-up on one signal. Considering Bangalore's real estate growth, traffic 10-12 years from now is something to keep in mind.
Well, I never said ICSE is inferior to CBSE. I totally agree that ICSE focus on overall growth compared to CBSE. But what it also means is more coursework and requires overall more time.

My son is already going to 2nd Std (CBSE) and i am worried about he falling behind while switching to ICSE during 3rd standard.
Old 27th May 2015, 13:33   #589
BHPian

Quote:
My son is already going to 2nd Std (CBSE) and i am worried about he falling behind while switching to ICSE during 3rd standard.
Got it. I too wouldn't suggest a change from one board to another.
Old 27th May 2015, 15:30   #590
Team-BHP Support

Counter-perspective:

If changing boards, better do it while the child is still in early standards. It's not just about course-work, the whole approach to education is different in CBSE Vs. ICSE, and a younger kid will be able to transition better compared to an older kid already well-adjusted to one system.
Old 27th May 2015, 17:32   #591
BHPian

Quote:
This query is for Bangalore and especially near Budigere Cross. I am trying to shortlist some properties in that area and my main concern is about the schools there.
Lake Montfort School (CBSE) seems close to you, but I have no idea how it is.

About Vibgyor, I couldn't locate it, so I am not sure if that is part of the chain of schools going by that name. But if the school near you has IGCSE, that is something to consider especially if you are considering an education abroad for your child after 12th.
Old 30th May 2015, 21:21   #592
BHPian

This is about college admissions for next year.

I have a cousin's son who is studying in Kerala in 12th this year and I would like to enroll him in a college in Bangalore next year. I do not have my hopes up, so I am looking at courses like B. Sc., B. Com, etc. right now.

How easy or difficult is it to do this? If someone has done it before, could you please guide me through the process?
Old 16th June 2015, 00:02   #593
BHPian

Any tips for getting into kendriya vidyalaya yelanka

I will be applying in civilian quota. Thanks in advance
Old 10th July 2015, 11:18   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
Guys,
Any of your/relatives'/acquaintances' kids going to the Rashtrottana Vidya Kendra in Banashankari?

I am researching about them for my son's nursery admission.

Kindly let me know about the quality of education, admission process and fee structure.

Really appreciate your inputs.
My research points:
  1. I'd been to the school during April-May vacation, when the school was handing over books to the students for the next Acad.

2. The school is situated off the NICE road, on the right, after the first toll starting from PESIT Engg. college's side.

3. A walk in the campus and talking to the non-teaching staff, the school seemed pretty authentic. I was floored by the fact that everyone was talking in Kannada, unlike in some of the biggies I'd met folks blabbering only in English (broken included).

4. The campus is huge, with class rooms well-lit and ventilated. The assembly area (also basketball court) has a big Photo of Godess Saraswati. The AV rooms are also equipped nicely.

5. I live near Chandra Layout area, ergo distance wise it's about 12 kms for me.

The above were all the tangible ones.

Need inputs from you folks if you've known about the quality of education that is imparted in here.

Really appreciate!

Thanks,
Vinay
Old 30th July 2015, 08:47   #595
BHPian

I was looking for guidance on admissions for a ad year 2016-2017 : and lo and behold this is the forum with a lot information

The kid will be 2y10m next May end and we are looking to get her into pre-kg for next acad year. Open to both CBSE and ICSE ( we like ICSE bit given in Karnataka everything is moving towards CBSE, kinda worried if we should stick to CBSE). We stay near Channasandra, Whitefield area.

Here is our shortlist :

CBSE
1) DPS ( hearing good things ) - drawback is that its a bit far at 6 kms ( although no traffic on that road ) but a lot of kids around go here.

2) Whitefield Global ( nearest but don't have all details / reviews yet )

3) Global Indian ( far , but again a lot of kids around go here )

ICSE

1) Chrysalis
Varthur : reviews appear good ( a little far off and fees seem to be on the higher side )

Good thing is that Chrysalis kids is close to Whitefield and the kid could go there initial years and then continue at Varthur.

Kadugodi : Kadugodi Chrysalis is CBSE. Any comparison between Chrysalis Kadugodi and Varthur otherwise apart from syll?

2) Greenwood

Again good reviews. A little far but greenwood kids exissin Whitefield so initial years could be spent here..

So unable to make up my mind at this point : any tip / recommendations would help us a lot.

Last edited by airguitar : 30th July 2015 at 08:48.
Old 30th July 2015, 10:17   #596
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
The kid will be 2y10m next May end and we are looking to get her into pre-kg for next acad year. Open to both CBSE and ICSE ( we like ICSE bit given in Karnataka everything is moving towards CBSE, kinda worried if we should stick to CBSE). We stay near Channasandra, Whitefield area.

Here is our shortlist :...
The ICSE/CBSE/etc syllabus/board will not matter at this point since it is anyways pre-school (prior to Class 1). If you can find a place that uses the Montessori methods it will be great as they learn concepts amazingly well in that environment. You can then look for regular schools from Class 1 onwards.
A friend's child studies at Chrysalis Varthur and he had only good things to say about the school. Don't know about how it compares with their school in Whitefield though.
Another friend's children study at Euro school and they're very happy with that school as well, you may want to consider that as well in your list.
One other comment I had was that in your list DPS is probably the one with down to earth fees these days

Last edited by NPV : 30th July 2015 at 10:19.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:23   #597
Senior - BHPian

Based on data I have collected, ICSE is really demanding. The syllabus is vast. For kids who are not much into academics, ICSE may be a challenge.
Those kids probably are better at other activities (e.g. sports or extra curricular). Hence one size does not fit all.
CBSE is a balance and less intensive. The State board is the least taxing (I come from State Board).

When I moved to college - St. Xavier's, I could really make a distinction between the kids from all three boards. All of them had scored high percentage of marks in their exams, yet there was a difference.
Guys like me would struggle with English and Hindi (both were Higher Level). It was as if we are learning from scratch. ICSE and CBSE guys would not struggle at all.

Other subjects - I did not find much of a challenge there, but I was good at them anyway.

Some of the maths topics were already covered in CBSE at school level.
Edit: Those looking for IIT and other elite institutes, for them ICSE would be suitable.

Last edited by S_U_N : 30th July 2015 at 12:24.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:26   #598
BANNED

The kids won't have a problem shifting CBSE to ICSE or vice versa. It's only adults who feel that way. My own case: dad shifted cities every 2-3 years. My brother and sister who were younger then changed 4-5 schools. Some were CBSE, others were ICSE.

Neither of them had any issues. Marks were consistently above average. Both are now very well placed now.

One disadvantage I find in CBSE is no importance given to local languages. Or at least most of these schools. You have to learn French or Sanskrit.

So this is a big problem if you stay in the same city after graduation. Our dad forced us to attend short term local languages classes wherever we stayed. All of us speak 7 Indian languages. Written communication is so-so but we have no issues speaking to the locals almost anywhere.

Last edited by hangover : 30th July 2015 at 12:27.
Old 30th July 2015, 12:38   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
One disadvantage I find in CBSE is no importance given to local languages. Or at least most of these schools. You have to learn French or Sanskrit.
My son is in Std. I in a CBSE school. He has Hindi and Marathi as well.

His preschools did not teach him much of these. So, there is an extra effort we are putting in to bring him up to speed. He is a quick learner, but the expectations are high.

Writing full sentences at age of 6 - most kids in his class are not able to do. Some are exceptional though.
Old 30th July 2015, 13:00   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Based on data I have collected, ICSE is really demanding. The syllabus is vast.
Hence CBSE is preferable, less of BS .
Quote:
Edit: Those looking for IIT and other elite institutes, for them ICSE would be suitable.
Isn't it the other way, JEE & AIPMT being based on CBSE syllabus?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Writing full sentences at age of 6 - most kids in his class are not able to do. Some are exceptional though.
My daughter is in 2nd standard. I have seen her language book. Instead of focusing on verbal skills, it is unnecessarily loaded with written skills. What will they do in higher classes? I feel it is a ploy to dissuade kids from choosing regional language.

Most Viewed