Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2017, 12:54   #811
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I truly hope most of you are joking. My daughter turns 3 in April and she only goes to a playschool. Doesn't schooling start at 4? I haven't even bothered about this so far.
Depends if you want to go to one of the particularly good or famous schools. Many of those have all sorts of advance bookings, and are much more expensive than the others.
Old 24th March 2017, 18:36   #812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
I truly hope most of you are joking. My daughter turns 3 in April and she only goes to a playschool. Doesn't schooling start at 4?
The minimum age required is 3.5 years to join LKG and 5.5 years - 6.5 years in Class 1.
Old 11th April 2017, 21:01   #813
BHPian

Hi friends,

Can you please give feedback about schools in HSR layout
1. Cambridge public school
2. Freedom international school
3. JSS public school

Trying for admission for my son in Class 8
Old 16th August 2017, 16:21   #814
BHPian

This is not regarding any specific school as such but about alternative schooling and your opinions about such methods.

My daughter currently is in the junior kg of a popular school in Pune. So far their methods and demands have not impressed us. I was thinking about alternative schooling like Grammangal Learning Home in Pune which claims to provide a combination of conventional schooling and home schooling.

My questions were on the effect of home schooling / alternative schooling on the overall development of the child.

1. Does this mean that someone learning in alternative schools cannot be taken into 'regular' schools if it comes to that later on ?
2. Our entire system of education is heavily dependent on the memory effectiveness of any child. Will alternative schooling mean the child will lag behind ?
3. Any other thoughts on this topic ?

Home schooling or alternative schooling is not yet popular or even considered on par with regular schooling at least in India. But there are instances of people opting for this path and doing it successfully. Maybe there is a reason that this has not caught on yet but is it due to our mentality and view towards education or something else ?
Old 16th August 2017, 17:53   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvDriving View Post
1. Does this mean that someone learning in alternative schools cannot be taken into 'regular' schools if it comes to that later on ?
There is no such problem,but the early years the progress is slow in all alternative education schools,since their emphasis is on building the basics.My daughter began to write only from Grade 1.She goes to a Waldorf school,but if you are looking at changing somewhere after the 7th or so,it shouldnt be a problem as the "regular" schools and alternative schools are on par by then.

Quote:
2. Our entire system of education is heavily dependent on the memory effectiveness of any child. Will alternative schooling mean the child will lag behind ?
Alternative schooling methods also depend on memory,recall methods etc.Just that there is no memorising or mugging up to the levels that are seen in the mainstream schools.There is a reason provided for everything in the real alternative schools,there is no blind mugging up applied and since they go real slow,the kids imbibe the essence of it.Like tables in regular schools start sometime in Grade1,whereas most of the alternative schools start multiplication tables somewhere around Grade 3.So overall it is slow progression but yes its a solid foundation that is being laid.From my personal experiences,the waldorf kids from my daughters school exhibit no stage fright and are encouraged to make mistakes and are told its ok to be imperfect and its ok to be not knowing certain things.

All in all,if there is an option for a good alternative school within your city,I would say opt for it,it is less taxing on the parents and kids(but yes parents need to be prepared to see their kids progressing slowly as opposed to your neighbours' kids who may be on the fast track.I had an experience of a child in 2nd grade of a "regular" school coming upto to me and telling me,do not use airconditioner because something will happen to ozone layer-what will happen to ozone,what is ozone,how is it formed-no information on any of those and the reply I got was,my teacher told me to memorize about ozone and come and it is very tough so I only memorized the easy part

Quote:
3. Any other thoughts on this topic ?

Home schooling or alternative schooling is not yet popular or even considered on par with regular schooling at least in India. But there are instances of people opting for this path and doing it successfully. Maybe there is a reason that this has not caught on yet but is it due to our mentality and view towards education or something else ?
Homeschooling is quite popular.There are millions taking up exams via NIOS especially kids with learning disabilities etc.But yes the atmosphere of a class or a school cannot be replicated try how much,in a home schooling system-and that is a drawback.In terms of resources too,unless you are in a big city (some big cities too lack the kind of resources and qualified tutors)it is a problem.

Alternative education is quite popular.The mentality of the parents has a huge role to play,not every one is ready to play the waiting game.Anxiety starts building up.I have somebody in my apartment teaching grade 1 and grade 2 kids competitive maths(tips on how to tackle maths in entrance exams)-it is one thing that there is somebody to sell this scam and it is another thing that there is somebody out there willing to fall for this scam.So alternative education is not for such people.Costs for alternative education too can be high(it is not as prohibitive as the costs that international schools charge),but it is definitely higher than the average regular school.Ofcourse the returns in the form of solid foundation etc are non-negotiable.

The problems begin when after a year or two,the parents begin to get anxious as to why child is not doing all the things that my friends' kids are doing.In a bid to offset that,parents begin to start sending their kids for classes,tuitions,extra work etc-all of which interferes and hampers with the alternative schooling mantra which is followed at school.Such parents defeat the whole idea of alternative schooling.Adopt alternative schooling only if you are ready to be patient and ready to handle peer pressure,else do not bother with it.Make a sane and informed decision,do not put your kids in alternative schools just to be different-something that I have observed.Such people after the first two years lose patience and get them admitted into regular schools(there is always that regular school who is ready to take a child one class lower,if you are ready to pay a little extra)at the cost of the child's mental well being.

Ideally check for the class10 results of the alternative school that you have shortlisted.The results will speak for themselves if the methodology followed in that school is working or not.
Old 24th August 2017, 15:11   #816
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Steiner School - 2018-19 Enrolments
If you wish to actively pursue enrolment for the 2018-2019 academic year, you are requested to ensure that BOTH parents attend the FULL session of our Open Day. You may attend together or on separate days, based on your child-minding situation. Attendance of BOTH parents is a prerequisite for issuance of application forms as and when the process begins. PRIOR Registration is compulsory for attendance as we can only accommodate limited numbers.
Open Days will be held from 8.30am to 12.30pm on the following days:
* Saturday, Oct 7, 2017
* Saturday, Nov 18, 201
* Saturday, Dec 9, 2017
* Saturday, Jan 20, 2018
To register for the Open Day, please email bangaloresteinerschool@gmail.com the following details:
* Your child’s name
* DOB (dd/mm/yyyy)
* current school/KG name
* Names/DOB of older and younger siblings if any
* home location (area name is enough)
* Names & Contact phone of BOTH parents.
NOTE: We prefer that children do NOT come along for the Open Days so that parents can fully focus on the session. Please plan ahead of time so that you can organize child-minding elsewhere.��Please note the below age criteria for Admission for Academic Year 2018-19:
* Kindergarten – the child should have completed 3yrs of age by Feb 1, 2018
* Class 1 – the child should have completed 6yrs of age by Feb 1, 2018
Old 3rd November 2017, 13:01   #817
Senior - BHPian

Abhaya Waldorf (CBSE) admissions are open for academic year beginning in 2018

http://www.abhayaschool.com/

Admissions into Nursery and Kindergarten are open.Please contact the School for further details.On how the school functions etc,this feature was run on a Malayalam channel a couple of years ago.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 3rd November 2017 at 13:03.
Old 15th November 2017, 17:37   #818
BHPian

HYD Friends, Need some clarity on telugu for school curriculum.
Is telugu compulsory for CBSE schools in HYD? I saw few article news of KCR making telugu compulsory till 12th in Telangana.
Please clarify as I am planning to move to HYD in Dec and admission for next year 9th std around botanical garden road.

Appreciate inputs please.
Old 16th November 2017, 11:40   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
HYD Friends, Need some clarity on telugu for school curriculum.
Is telugu compulsory for CBSE schools in HYD? I saw few article news of KCR making telugu compulsory till 12th in Telangana.
Please clarify as I am planning to move to HYD in Dec and admission for next year 9th std around botanical garden road.

Appreciate inputs please.
Have no worries.The Telugu compulsory has not come anywhere near becoming a rule,it was just a suggestion.And even if it does come through as a rule in the future students who have not been learning Telugu till now will not be affected by it.This has been made amply clear by the govt personnel who made the announcement.The format is 3 languages till 8th and 2 languages in 9th and 10th as per current CBSE format.Your child will have to do two languages in 9th and 10th of which English would be a compuslory one and the second language could be Hindi Sanskrit Telugu French or any of the many languages offered by the CBSE curriculum(subject to.the option being available in the school) .Look for a school that offers the language of your choice (usually all schools here have Hindi Sanskrit Telugu French available).CBSE too has not arrived at any decision on the 3 language format yet and I dont think it would ever happen either.They will continue to stick to the 2 Language papers plus 4 other papers format (Sci Social Maths Vocational).Start looking for admissions by October and 9th means you would definitely have to begin looking much earlier since hardly any schools give admissions in 9th as it becomes too difficult for the child and the school(KVs being the exception,even KV parents of those kids in 9th and 10th are usually not transferred till they complete 10th)
Old 16th November 2017, 15:09   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobvarughese View Post
Should money is not of a concern, I'd also suggest the Trivandrum International School- heard they do possess boarding facilities, and also the Greenvalley International school.
Any idea what the fees there would be? I googled around and found indicators of about a lac per year. Which sounds like on the lower side compared to schools in Bangalore.

Last edited by civic-sense : 16th November 2017 at 15:11.
Old 16th November 2017, 15:23   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Any idea what the fees there would be? I googled around and found indicators of about a lac per year. Which sounds like on the lower side compared to schools in Bangalore.
No clue mate- it was circa 1.5 lakhs for Standard 1 when I checked a couple of years ago, My kids now study at St.Thomas school, another pre-eminent school and the fees is around 36k per year.

Recently, a friend of mine approached Loyola for admission to UKG for his son, and the fees quoted was 67k INR for a year.

Another international school in Trivandrum is the Green Valley one- however, its pretty further from the city and not many yearn for it as a result of the commuting distance.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:03   #822
BHPian

Guys I need some advice on few things which are bothering me since last 1 month ie from the time my daughter turned 2 years

I am thinking to put my kiddo into standard routine of schooling starting June 2018 and with final objective of enrolling her into CBSE once she starts her 1st STD. I need some advice in picking preschool / Montessori.

I am seriously considering to get my daughter enrolled into Prayag JP Nagar for Montessori education but one thing which keeps me worried is after her 4 year tenure in the school, how difficult it is to get a seat for 1st std in main stream schools like NPS, Kumaran`s.

If I consider pre-school or any other main stream schools, I see that Presidency School Bilekahalli do enroll for Pre-Nursery with Kids of min 2yrs 6 month of age and BGS NPS for PP1 with age criteria set to 2 yrs 10 months which ofcourse it will not fit for me as my daughter would still be 2yrs 8months. But I feel it is too early for her to go into main stream schools and I am not comfortable in sending her to big schools before she turns atleast 3.5 yrs. So I need your help in deciding should I go with Prayag or should I enroll in a preschool like Little Millennium till she turns 4 yrs then enroll here into NPS/Presidency.

Also do you recommend any pre-schools in and around Bilekahalli.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:24   #823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
I am seriously considering to get my daughter enrolled into Prayag JP Nagar for Montessori education but one thing which keeps me worried is after her 4 year tenure in the school, how difficult it is to get a seat for 1st std in main stream schools like NPS, Kumaran`s.

Its usally gets more difficult with higher grades. You should consider enrolling starting with KG or Mont system. The bad part is, come Std-I usually kid has to write an exam. Mont/KG its not the case. Plus you also have more time to look around.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:26   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Guys I need some advice on few things which are bothering me since last 1 month ie from the time my daughter turned 2 years

I am thinking to put my kiddo into standard routine of schooling starting June 2018 and with final objective of enrolling her into CBSE once she starts her 1st STD. I need some advice in picking preschool / Montessori.

If I consider pre-school or any other main stream schools, I see that Presidency School Bilekahalli do enroll for Pre-Nursery with Kids of min 2yrs 6 month of age and BGS NPS for PP1 with age criteria set to 2 yrs 10 months which ofcourse it will not fit for me as my daughter would still be 2yrs 8months. But I feel it is too early for her to go into main stream schools and I am not comfortable in sending her to big schools before she turns atleast 3.5 yrs. So I need your help in deciding should I go with Prayag or should I enroll in a preschool like Little Millennium till she turns 4 yrs then enroll here into NPS/Presidency.

Also do you recommend any pre-schools in and around Bilekahalli.
IMHO put the child into a proper school from day 1.If the child doesnt qualify for a nursery admission in the current year,let the child enjoy one more year of non structured play and self learning at home and admit her in the next year for education.Saves a lot of money and stress and its always easier getting admissions into nursery as opposed to class 1.Kids pick up also quicker,when they are older.
Old 16th November 2017, 16:33   #825
BHPian

All, I need some inputs/feedback about a new school where my daughter has secured admission to Montessori , the school is NPS Jayanagar. I have been scouring the net for some reviews and there are not many which I can rely on. Any first hand reviews from yourselves or from relatives/friends would be very helpful as we need to make a decision fast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks