Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Does Häagen-Dazs discriminate against Indians?

I read in a blog today that premium American ice-cream brand Häagen-Dazs, which just opened its first Indian outlet in a mall in Saket, Delhi, allegedly made a boo-boo by putting up a banner that implied Indians aren't welcome to sample their wares. It read "Exclusive Preview for International Travellers" and below, in smaller type, "Access restricted only to holders of international passports".

I thought it was a hoax at first but the blogger, Rajesh Kalra, happens to be a chief editor with Times Internet and is presumably reliable. Kalra's claim is that his friend (presumably an Indian) was not allowed entry to the store though he's travelled abroad and has a passport. Only it's an Indian passport. Which raises the point: what exactly is an "international passport" anyway?

You can read all about it here. I don't know what to make of it. The banner may seem in poor taste, but I think it's more a marketing gimmick gone wrong than any attempt at outright discrimination (or "racism" as many will call it). And I'm almost sure it's the (Indian) franchise owner who came up with the brilliant idea than the parent company. It was probably an attempt to generate hype -- if the firangs are eating the stuff it had better be good, what?

A public outcry on Facebook, Twitter etc. seems to have had an effect on the franchisee, who seems to have dropped the policy like a hot potato (or maybe a cold scoop of ice-cream) and claimed it never existed! Unless he can prove the photo was Photoshopped (or a complete hoax), I don't think anyone would take him seriously. I hope our politicians don't use this as an excuse to goad people to destroy public property. At any rate, many Indians who had never heard of the brand now know about it.

Note: The name is apparently pronounced हागन् दास्
Old 16th December 2009, 18:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Revoke his shop license( don't know the exact word used for it, hence the desi term), that would teach him a befitting lesson.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:59   #3
BHPian

What rubbish is this!! I for one have never faced any racist behaviour when I would regularly visit their stores while in the US. I have no clue why these guys behave in such a weird fashion when they open up stores or relase products in our country.

What a shame! He is on our land, using our resources and then has the audacity to tell us that we are not allowed!!! W..F! IMO! this store owner and the management should be taught a very good lesson. I would not be surprised to know that they have a Indian Management, cuz like it or not, some of us still like licking white @$$!!

Shrey
Old 16th December 2009, 19:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

How abt ignoring stores run by such dim witted maggot heads! (sorry mods... just couldnt control my anger)
Old 16th December 2009, 19:53   #5
BHPian

I sent a mail to Haagen Dazs yesterday after I read about this on twitter.

While sending the feedback on their website, India was not listed (entering our address is compulsory). I had to choose some other country name. I have asked them if this is true and if yes, to give an explanation. Also why India is not listed in the Countries drop down menu.
Old 16th December 2009, 20:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

it's not the chain, but the indians who win the contracts with such chains and then like to cater to an "exclusive" clientele.

Can anybody find out who runs it and what else do they run?
Old 16th December 2009, 20:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is ridiculous !! I am never ever eating Haagen Daz or whatever it's called.

Anyone paying for it can eat it. Who cares for a free sampler ?

This link provided here goes on my facebook page right now ! I got about 300 friends. I am sure the word spreads faster this way.
Old 16th December 2009, 20:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

LOL, the name itself leaves a bad taste if you know hindi.

but seriously, nothing wrong with the company, I still think it's the franchisee owner who came up with the creative idea.
Old 16th December 2009, 21:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Can anybody find out who runs it and what else do they run?
Its a franchise owned by an Indian citizen.
Old 16th December 2009, 21:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

I googled and it says General Mills !!
Old 16th December 2009, 23:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I googled and it says General Mills !!
They are the parent company. Any info on the Indian Franchisee?
Old 17th December 2009, 00:08   #12
BHPian

Woooo! Racism is alive and kickin'!

/s
Old 17th December 2009, 00:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

This is the image:
http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes...gen%20Dazs.gif

Crazy. I have no clue why the hell would someone even come up with such an idea!
Old 17th December 2009, 00:20   #14
BHPian

HD sucks anyway, just like Ben & Jerrys and is an okay choice if you need to satisfy the pangs for ice cream in the middle of the night. I just wish Cold Stone would open an outlet in India. They're already in Dubai and Manama, so what's another couple of hundred miles?
Old 17th December 2009, 00:40   #15
Team-BHP Support

well obviously they dont mean racism, its just worded badly. im sure everyone can access hagen daaz and the free trail is only meant for travellers, a bit stupid but its upto them who they want to give free trails to right? they probably dont want everyone of the street going in and asking for a free trail. and how is it racism? they dont mention only european or american travellers only.

some of the above is in a ligher note, but we dont need to make a big deal about one dumb sign.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks