|17th December 2009, 21:38||#1|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Sep 2004
Thanked: 755 Times
Urgent - Passport lost in different state
Urgent help needed for my friend.
He had a passport issued since 2006 in Gurgaon which was issued from Passport office Delhi.
He recently shifted to Ghaziabad (UP) as he changed jobs. Unfortunately he has lost his passport and all efforts to trace the passport have been unsuccessful.
Now as far as i know, i adviced him to go the nearest police station and lodge an FIR for lost passport, so that he can get the new passport reissued. However there are two questions:
1. Since his passport was issued from Delhi passport office, should he lodge FIR in a Delhi police station OR a police station of his current residence - ie Ghaziabad ?
2. Where does he apply for the re-issue of passport- in Delhi office, or in Ghaziabad passport office ? Since he doesn't live in Gurgaon anymore, police verification will not be possible in Gurgaon address? Or does he apply for the new passport with NEW address proof(ghaziabad) in the Ghaziabad passport office ?
Kindly leave your advice/suggestions.
Last edited by DCEite : 17th December 2009 at 21:42.
|17th December 2009, 21:44||#2|
Join Date: Jul 2007
Thanked: 7,956 Times
A friend of mine lost his Chennai issued passport in Hyderabad.
The Inspector of police refused to lodge an FIR.
When we told him that we are within our rights in demanding an FIR he told us fine. But will do nothing to trace it and instead enter a report saying he does not believe the passport was lost.
His argument was that some other Inspector had been recently demoted or suspended because of a lost passport. The passport turned up later and was used for some illegal activity. This officer wanted to avoid a situation like that for himself.
The point is, be ready for all sorts of non sense from the Police.
|17th December 2009, 22:01||#3|
Join Date: Sep 2009
Thanked: 9 Times
Dceite, I did loose my pasport once and went through hell. I got a FIR filed after a lot of trips to the police station. Then with the non traceable certificate I went to the passport opffice and got a new passport. I would recommand that your friend file a FIR with the local police and get a non traceable certificate at the earliest. Then apply for the duplicate passport with the new address (provided he has a valid address proof).
|17th December 2009, 22:01||#4|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Sep 2008
Thanked: 24 Times
1. He has to make a FIR at the nearest police station where he is currently living. He has to provide the details of how and when the passport was lost and regular details like passport number, issue/expirty date, photocopy of the first and last page if available etc.
2. He has to collect the copy of FIR and submit it with a new application at the nearest passport office of his current address. He has to furnish details of his location from the previous passport issue till date along with the necessary proofs
3. Passport office will send the application for necessary verification
Your friend has to present yourself at the police station of the current address and answer the questions if any and pay the fees (if any)
4. Once the police verification is completed, he can get this application converted to Tatkal and pay some additional fee for conversion
5. passport would be delivered to the current address within stipulated time under tatkal scheme
Alternatively if your friend knows the Police Commissioner or the State Secretory etc, then on their recommendation he can get a new passport within few days.
|11th March 2010, 23:43||#5|
Join Date: Aug 2006
Thanked: 44 Times
Thanks a Lot
Thanks a lot for the thread, I couldn't believe my googling would lead to t-bhp on this topic. However we have a new issue. The passport was recently issued and its been flicked along wiht the laptop bag.
We have the copy of passport application, could we get the passport number from RPO for the FIR ?
|11th March 2010, 23:47||#6|
Join Date: Nov 2006
Thanked: 58 Times
|29th April 2019, 18:56||#7|
Join Date: Apr 2006
Thanked: 175 Times
Passport lost in different Country
Reviving an old thread here, however could not find any other relevant thread for this.
Posting info incase you are travelling to a country out of India and end up in a situation of loosing your passport. One of my colleague shared below information who is posted as expat in Germany and lost passport in France
- First and foremost, please log a FIR in the nearest Police Station
- Collect the copy of FIR.
There are 3 scenarios now
- You are a tourist flying from India. Go to Indian Embassy in that country and collect the emergency certificate. Basis this certificate you can travel back to India.
- You are an Expat in that country. Go to Indian Embassy and apply for new Passport.
- You are an Expat in neighboring country. You can travel back to the country where you are posted basis the FIR. In your posted country go to the Indian Embassy and file for new passport.
Sorry this information is limited to Schengen countries. However, I would assume that you can go to Indian embassy and collect emergency certificate to go back to your posted country and apply passport at the Indian Embassy there for all other cases
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Buy car in state or out of state (Major price difference)||autoenthusiast||The Indian Car Scene||51||26th May 2018 13:18|
|Where should I sell the car: State of Registration or Current State?||m_upreti||The Indian Car Scene||50||12th July 2016 17:38|
|Buying a CV from State A and registering in State B||Aravindpn||Commercial Vehicles||7||30th November 2010 15:04|
|Lost licence- out of state- in a fix- long drive - help required||reply_amit||Route / Travel Queries||10||11th February 2010 15:23|