Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:06   #16
BHPian

Well...I am happy, our dog never contributed to this global warming. He had a semi-perfect vegetarian(used to eat eggs once a while) life of 14 yrs
My his soul rest in peace!

Regards,
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This is funny. How much carbon footprint can be eliminated in this way? ever wondered how much percentage of global Co2 emissions are because of humans (his pets included of course) and their technology? Its way too less than the natural sources.

To be precise, only 0.28% of the green house emissions are human additions, rest come from ocean biographic activity, volcanoes and decaying plants and other biological stuff etc.

The Co2 in atmosphere is increasing anyway, but the globe is not warming up. In fact, the globe is getting cooler from the beginning of this decade.
Valid and interesting question lets see.

First of all the original question is not what percentage of total CO2 is result of human activity or if globe is heating or cooling that is indeed a debatable point with a wide range of answers depending on the political affiliation and lobby involved. Emperical evidences in India tell that environment locally is certainly not cooling if you take in to account winters 20 years back or snowfall in middle reach of Himalayas. Some people may say it is cyclic but over a short period of say 100 years it does not look cyclic.

The original question was is a dog environmentally more hazardus then a 4X4 SUV driven for 10,000 Km in an year including the carbon footprint for manufacturing the SUV.

In case you buy a packaged specialized dog food then the carbon footprint involves the footprint for growing the grains , feeding chicken and cattle with that grains and growing meat , processing and packaging that mean in plastic containers , transporting them across the oceans , local transport and storage so the total carbon footprint seems to be higher then an SUV driven for 10,000 KM including it's manufacturing.
Now feed your dog home made food with locally available produce and carbon footprint for transporting raw materials , processing, packaging , shipping etc is eliminated in first glance.
Now compare the intensive methods used in India to grow poultry and food grains and the methods used in west. The carbon footprint of Chicken and meat grown in India is definately less.

So if you conduct same study with same methods in a country like India then a Dog may have a lot less carbon footprint then an SUV driven for 10,000 KM including manufacturing.
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
So if you conduct same study with same methods in a country like India then a Dog may have a lot less carbon footprint then an SUV driven for 10,000 KM including manufacturing.
I agree. It will take a pack of dogs to come anywhere near the carbon footprint of an SUV!

But I don't think climate is becoming any cooler. If it is, shipping companies will not be planning to open new navigation routes through the Arctic in the near future. There is also evidence that himalayan glaciers are receding.
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:17   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is clearly the Human Race that is the primary cause of all the chaos that our Planet Earth is facing at the moment - greed, depredation and waste of epic proportions is what we humans are guilty of, so lets not start blaming the poor 4-legged fellow creatures for the mess we are in and that we have created!
Agree, with a slight addition.
Not the Human race per say, but the ones who have no regard for the very environment that sustains them. Unfortunately a majority of us "Humans" are worse than animals in many ways. And it shows countless number of times on so many occasions that the rest have become oblivious to it and accepted it a matter of course.

I too am guilty of the thinking "What can I alone do against soooo many miscreants..." Any practical solution: I am game to try! And this is not only against pollution, but EVERYTHING that is irresponsible and damaging.

Goerge Bush was/ is a retard and proved that by making statements like "Indians eat too much". That being said, we do have a huge amount of avoidable Food Wastage and this is at ALL Levels and segments. :(

@Clevermax: I agree with you 100%. Recent meetings have yet again confirmed my believe that Global Warming is the way of developed countries to remain developed and hinder the growth of countries like India. Global warming is indeed a swindle. Records show that the Earth is very much going through it's natural cycle.

To manage and control masses, either Fear or Need is used. Countries like India use the "Need" policy and Countries like the US use the "Fear" policy. They are just doing the same for world politics too.

Developed countries with just 15% of world population are responsible for 45% of the emissions and they want India to control emissions? Ha!

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 23rd December 2009 at 10:26.
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

The whole dog carbon paw print discussion is silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Emperical evidences in India tell that environment locally is certainly not cooling if you take in to account winters 20 years back or snowfall in middle reach of Himalayas. Some people may say it is cyclic but over a short period of say 100 years it does not look cyclic.
Why talk about India alone, have a look at the world, the temperatures are falling down from the beginning of 2000, but this is just another natural change. And they say that earth has been going thorugh its own long natural cycles of cold and heat, but again, 100 years is not a cycle time - it may be far too less. What we are witnessing over the decades could be very small abrupt changes, like presence of high freq. noise in a pure sine wave. Munnar, a hill station in Kerala, had sub zero temperatures during the winter season couple of years back. If we look at such microscopic examples, we'll have a lot to argue on.

I agree that dogs in developed countries have a larger Carbon footprint than dogs or pets in our country. But the point is, the whole discussion regarding this is nothning but plain silly. As I said, this kind of research is meant for someone living his happy life in a developed country who has abundunt amount of free time and money. Researching on this, or trying to control the number of pet dogs in developed countires is no way going to change anything, apart from creating many angered dog lovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
..... Recent meetings have yet again confirmed my believe that Global Warming is the way of developed countries to remain developed and hinder the growth of countries like India. Global warming is indeed a swindle. Records show that the Earth is very much going through it's natural cycle.

To manage and control masses, either Fear or Need is used. Countries like India use the "Need" policy and Countries like the US use the "Fear" policy. They are just doing the same for world politics too.

Developed countries with just 15% of world population are responsible for 45% of the emissions and they want India to control emissions? Ha!
You said it! Why do developing countries like India have to hinder their growth to put some control over the mess that developed countries have done over past many years! India should grow and in the process add its share to the pollution, it's inevitable. Scientific research and means to minimize this pollution should be there, that's all, and that too to keep the developed nations' mouth shut.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd December 2009 at 11:01.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:52   #21
BANNED

How about "Analysis of annual world wide material damage caused by bird poop"

That apart, that study about dogs is not totally silly, the pet industry in the west and japan is huge with hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue annually and they do have an environmental impact unlike us poor asians.
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:30   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Why talk about India alone, have a look at the world, Scientific research and means to minimize this pollution should be there, that's all, and that too to keep the developed nations' mouth shut.
+1 to that, India has the most stringent emission norms in the world. We are doing our share. India is at par with saving the environment bit. No refrigrators are sold with CFCs in it. No car ACs have CFCs in them now(ofcourse forget the old one i am talking about the new ones).

THe poor pooch is the last thing a scientist must be targetting. I know probably one reason why this might be important in US/UK, people have taken huge insurance for their pet Dogs/Cats, their pets eat premium food, while there are places in Africa where children starve to death, There is no point talking about these things unless people world over understand where to shift focus and where not.

Greenpeace has been literally extorting money from people on the streets of delhi, has there been any possitive work done by them other than bunjee jumping from some bridge or tying a banner on the howrah bridge in calcutta. Those who think so much of the environment should actuall give up driving and start cycling.

People, stop arguing baselessly about claims made by some scientist (probably on dope). We all know 90% of dogs in india are scavengers so what is the point of carbon footprints(or paw prints or whatever).

PS: please dont start a war on dog menece now .

Mods please change the title of the thread, there is nothing to cheer about some stupid findings.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 23rd December 2009 at 12:33.

Most Viewed