Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2010, 15:10   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
...somehow I guess I won't be the one breaking the law.
I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Well, being on Team BHP I regard this as a community, a bit different to the society at large. Abiding by the law should always be the focus of the community, and so the guilt and shame is more when a fellow member does it.
I agree fully. But again, its an open public forum. And there are people knowingly or unknowingly break the law. Stickers on number plate, fancy neons, mods without endorsements, etc. It may be a small, or big. But yes it does exists.

How many of us do you think really follow the speed limits strictly? May be on the road, highways to an extend we can follow since the speed limits are reasonable. But what about the limits set inside the parking lot, streets in the city etc? Its tough. I remember driving my car in 10KMPH (that's what the board says) in my parking bay once and had become deaf for a while with the amount of honks. Add to it, it was a basement parking and you now how noisy it becomes in those places
Old 17th October 2010, 18:20   #77
Senior - BHPian

Folks, request you all to go through this thread - for all of us having smartphones, spotting a fellow BHPian is made easy!

Cross posting from the thread that I have linked:

Quote:
I Invite all BHPians who use Waze to join the www . team-bhp . com group that I have created in Waze. Here is how:
  • Head to www.waze.com
  • Click on My Dashboard - login using the same username that you created in your phone while installing Waze
  • Click on "Create, join or manage groups" link in the bottom right (IE is not supported according to the fine print next to this link)
  • Click on the magnifying glass icon and search for www. team-bhp .com (without the spaces)
  • Join!! (Set it as your main group if you want to - will tell you why in the next part)

Symbian S60 does not seem to have a supported groups module, hence I am asking you to head to the website. Those with other platform, see if there is a way to do this from the phone itself (Waze > Menu > Groups)

Now configure the Waze app on your phone to include messages from this group.
  • Open Waze > menu > Settings > profile. Set a nickname, preferably your TBHP handle followed by "-TBHP". Ex: Mine is ph03n!x-TBHP
  • Scroll down and open privacy, ensure it is set to "Nickname"
  • Set I agree to be pinged if you want to receive messages from others
  • Now open Waze > Menu > Settings > Groups
  • Choose Pop-up reports and set it to "from my main group" if you set this group as your main, and do not want pop-ups from other group members
  • Wazer group icons: Set it to Main group only (if you have set this as your main group, and want to see fellow BHPians alone in the map)

All set! Now we can spot as well as catch-up with BHPians in a jiffy!
Old 17th October 2010, 19:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

How many of us do you think really follow the speed limits strictly? May be on the road, highways to an extend we can follow since the speed limits are reasonable. But what about the limits set inside the parking lot, streets in the city etc? Its tough. I remember driving my car in 10KMPH (that's what the board says) in my parking bay once and had become deaf for a while with the amount of honks. Add to it, it was a basement parking and you now how noisy it becomes in those places
I understand, as I have been through such experiences. Back in my previous job, the building compound had speed limits of 10kmph posted at various places. I make it a point to drive within this limit and turn a blind eye (or a deaf ear) to the drivers who don't understand why there are speed limits. I have had this happen to me numerous times at traffic signals too. But just because someone behind me doesn't care about the rules doesn't give me a reason to break them.

I would be more proud if the whole community of Team BHP set an example in following the traffic rules.
Old 17th November 2010, 13:49   #79
Senior - BHPian

An aside, but recently I had two experiences that got me thinking on the subject of communication through signals. One was where a sedan cut into my lane without appropriate signal. The other was where I let a driver cut in front of me as he was in a tight spot. In the first case, since I am a bit low on tolerance levels, I honked to irritate the offender.

In both cases, the drivers switched on the hazard lights of their vehicles for a couple of seconds.

I don't know if it's a standard way of signalling, but I think it's quite cool to use this signalling to indicate apologies for a rude/rash behaviour, like cutting into someone else's path, or to indicate gratitude, when someone helps you get out of a tight spot. In everyday driving I see generous examples of both these types of behaviour. It would help a lot of we adopted this as a standard way of signalling. In case of rash behaviours, it would also help cool tempers a little bit.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:00   #80
BHPian

It's a pain man! I tried communicating with many t-bhpians on road and the result is dismal due to the traffic and some times they give weird look! they might be thinking what's wrong with this guy! they don't even spot the smile on my face and return one! Now I have stopped trying to communicate with the fellow t-bhpians when I spot any.

Last edited by whitesquall : 17th November 2010 at 15:01.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:41   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Folks, request you all to go through this thread - for all of us having smartphones, spotting a fellow BHPian is made easy!

Cross posting from the thread that I have linked:
I myself would strongly suggest and request fellow members to start using Waze. Benifits are numerous. Like discovering better, shorted routes being used by fellow BHPians etc.

ph03n!x, I think in India Waze has tied up with SatGuide etc. Would it still allow general people who just have, say, plain general andorid phones to create new routes etc. for use by other general Waze users?
Old 7th February 2011, 00:27   #82
Senior - BHPian

Re: Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumar69 View Post
I myself would strongly suggest and request fellow members to start using Waze. Benifits are numerous. Like discovering better, shorted routes being used by fellow BHPians etc.

ph03n!x, I think in India Waze has tied up with SatGuide etc. Would it still allow general people who just have, say, plain general andorid phones to create new routes etc. for use by other general Waze users?
Just saw this post. Satguide is indeed Waze's partner in India. The client is available for BB, Symbian, iOS and Android. A 'user' can create new roads, mark incorrect roads for deletion, name street, etc - most of this needs a computer, though you can flag an error on the client.

An area manager is the one who takes care of your error flag, or approves your deletion request. Head to the Waze site and the Wiki for more info, and become an area manager if you are interested to contribute!

And am sure you would have followed this thread.
Old 7th February 2011, 00:59   #83
BHPian

<p>One way to signal would be to switch on headlights even during the day when you spot a bhpian. This is completely legal and if the other driver is not a Bhpian, he would just ignore it.
This idea will not interfere with other drivers or scare/irritate them!
</p

Last edited by deep_bang : 7th February 2011 at 01:05.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:40   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
<p>One way to signal would be to switch on headlights even during the day when you spot a bhpian. This is completely legal and if the other driver is not a Bhpian, he would just ignore it.
This idea will not interfere with other drivers or scare/irritate them!
</p
But what if you spot a bhpian during the night
A pre-determined pattern of flashes and/or honks seem to be a good option.
Old 10th February 2011, 15:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

The signals can change depending on the situation. I think Waze would be useful only if the fellow bhpian is actively using it. For myself, I can say that though I may be logged on, I may not pay immediate attention if I am driving in an area that I am familiar with.

As for bhpians ignoring others, it could also be that they are either not active users on the forum or they are someone else driving a bhpian's car.
Old 10th February 2011, 19:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

Some lovely suggestions there. I personally think that honking might not be good. The entire country is already honking for no rhyme or reason. Why add to that as fellow (responsible) drivers? (This is my opinion only and i do not intend to harm anyones sentiments).

Another option, as already suggested is a thumbs up sign.

OT: Saw a Palio with the "Got BHP" sticker on the Hinjewadi road towards tht flyover last night (around 9:45PM). The car was a Bombay registered one with MH01 plates.
To the owner -tried flashing the lights to indicate a fellow BHPian here.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:08   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

If this had taken shape - things would've been interesting by now. But as others mentioned earlier here, everyone honks and flashes all the time here anyway.

I wish we all had CB radios in our country.
Old 16th September 2020, 12:10   #88
BHPian

Team Bhp Wave/pass By Gesture

Hello Bhpians,
Being my second post, Mods please excuse me if this is wrong thread for this post.
I travel 100+ kms daily as part of my job. 80-90% of the time i pass by cars with team-bhp stickers. Though all may not be team-bhp members as these are sold in the store as well, i though why not we have a teambhp dedicated gesture just to acknowledge while passing by or while at a signal or pump.

May be a silly suggestion but this may help us keep the community more connected while offline or get to know fellow bhpians accidently

Thanks
DieselWanderer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:14   #89
BHPian

Re: Team Bhp Wave/pass By Gesture

This is somewhat similar to the JEEP WAVE.Official Sign / Code when you spot another T-Bhpian on Road-71t84kkwoil._sx425_.jpg
Pic courtesy-Internet

Last edited by Abhi5868 : 16th September 2020 at 16:42.
Abhi5868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:08   #90
BHPian

Re: Team Bhp Wave/pass By Gesture

I think the Late Sam Kapasi had the best suggestion for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Stick your tongue out as far as it will go, flick it back in and out 3 times, roll your eyes round and round, stick both your thumbs into your armpits and sing loudly "I am a disco dancer" as you swing your crotch back and forth like Mithun.

If it is a Team-BHpian, you'll recognise each other from this secret movement. If not try the next man. If it's a Team-BHPian's parents, don't worry, they won't even believe you know their son or daughter. They'll think koi pagal tha.

Sigh. Not all BHPians are married and therefore may not be well-versed in the art of sighing.

What a funny thread. Just say hello there!! for God's sake. Always works. If driving, smile and wave. If the guy can stop he will. If it's his Dad, he will wonder who the hell you are.
Then come and write in the "I spotted a BHPian" thread. End of story.
Roy.S is online now   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks