Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 12:22   #1
BHPian

Profuse Sweating - Anyone??

I face this wierd problem where my inner palms and inner foot sweat very heavily, it sweats in such a manner that in half an hour you can collect a tumbler of sweat from my palms and foot.

Since childhood I face this problem and it's been an hindrance to almost everything I do - I cannot hold a cricket bat, cannot play guitar, cannot hold the poles in buses, it simply sweats, sweats and sweats, it refuses to stop.

Now, it again plays spoilsport in the most important thing I love - Driving. My steering wheel becomes completely wet, the sweat on it keeps dropping on to the driver seat. The gear lever gets completely wet and it feels completely awkward when people who travel with you give a strange look at it.

Fellow T-Bhpians who share the same problem, please post your remedies to tackle it. Advice & suggestions from doctors in T-bhp are also welcome.

P.S - Mods if you feel this is irrelvant, kindly go ahead and delete the thread.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 29th December 2009 at 12:39.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Fellow T-Bhpians who share the same problem, please post your remedies to tackle it. Advice & suggestions from doctors in T-bhp are also welcome.
Well one of my cousin much older to me has this problem , He was an avid cricket player and he carries a hand towel in his hand.
Earlier ppl used to think that is his style statement

My suggestion to your driving problem , Try the badminton racket fabric hand grips on steering wheel,
Old 29th December 2009, 12:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

Sweating is also triggered by the food we eat. As a natural reaction to spicy food.
Have you tried eating bland food.

But you are in Chennai. With its high level of humidity, sweating is normal. Although you seem to be having a rather severe case of it.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:35   #4
BHPian

Hi Cliffhange,
I also face Little bit similar problem of excessive sweating, but to lower level as per yours.
i sweat mainly after eating or after little bit exercise, i sweat like anything. you can collect a bottle.
I went to Doctor for this and he said that its normal, different people set different amount, rather he advised me to Drink allot of water also.
The solution for your problem is, use good quality steering cover, not the leather one but some towel kind of.
Always keep your AC switched on and point it towards your hands.
I will also advice you to visit Doctor for same.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

One of my friend too suffers from the same problem.He consulted a doctor and was given some medicine, apparently it has come under control considerably.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:48   #6
BHPian

This is what it is.

Hyperhidrosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For driving, buy a set of nice gloves. In fact, after you use gloves, you might find it so much more fun to drive that way that without it. That takes care of gear lever and steering wheel. If you wear good thick cotton socks and shoes, you will not even realize that you are sweating. So that takes care of pedals too. You can really enjoy your drives.

Btw, I read recently in the papers about a girl with extreme hyperhdrosis having been cured of it through surgery where they nipped off some nerves that was causing the extreme condition. This news came very recently.

Times of India Publications

Times of India Publications
Old 29th December 2009, 13:35   #7
BHPian

Atleast for the sweat problem while driving, you can solve it by simply switching on your AC
Old 29th December 2009, 14:50   #8
BHPian

I spent about 28yrs in Chennai, sweating profusely even on the mildest weather. It got worse in summers - the moment I get out of bath, I start sweating. (sometimes just after closing the shower).

I had my share of visits to the doctors, but nothing worked and I always turned up as the guy who sweats like a pig. I was told by a family doctor that the sweating would reduce when i turn 30. Boy did it not - except that I celebrated my 30th birthday in Bangalore But my regular visits to Chennai over the years did seem different - not as much as before.

Edit: I was asked by my family doc, to keep the following in check
1) I was asked to drink warm water and keep myself well hydrated all the time
2) No cycling to college and back - take a bus (i used to cycle about 18kms to and fro college)
3) Less spicy food and no ghee/butter etc
4) Eat lots of cucumber

I personally knew none of the above helped that much. Friends used to poke fun at the extra shirt I carried whenever we went for a movie/dinner from college.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 29th December 2009 at 14:54.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey

Finally a thread I can fully relate on. My hands aren't as sweaty. but I have sweaty arms and feet. I LOVE spicy food, but even bland food never helped

/spent 3 months in germany eating bland food and sweated like a pig!
Old 30th December 2009, 15:31   #10
BHPian

OT but cant help ask "Do pigs sweat ?"
Old 30th December 2009, 15:44   #11
BHPian

Ot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
OT but cant help ask "Do pigs sweat ?"
nope I dont think they have sweat glands at all... The term probably was coined since its usually the hefty people like me who sweat a lot.
Old 30th December 2009, 17:24   #12
BHPian

Quintessential hyperhidrosis.

Regarding the surgery mentioned in megazoids post, it is not an all out cure since it has been reported to cause compensatory sweating. That is, if your palms and feet used to sweat before the surgery, after the surgery other body parts will start to sweat instead.
Old 30th December 2009, 21:26   #13
BHPian

Oh man glad this thread is here. I sweat like crazy in my palms. Most of the times I will be normal, palms will be dry.

But the moment I realize I am meeting a manager or someone, its like a pump of sweat. I keep rubbing it against my trousers or kerchief so I can shake hands without embarrassing myself. And many times, I wont even be anxious, or anything. It will be a casual meeting. But even then I sweat.

While driving, whew my backside will be totally wet (obviously palms would have semi-washed the steering). This is the reason why I dont wear light, grey colour trouser as once I get out of the car, the my underthighs would be wet and it looks like 'something else'.

Apart from that, if I start writing, the palms sweat. So much that the paper gets wet (many of my cheques got blot/discoloured due to this). I consulted a doctor once. He said calcium deficiency something and also a few other things. But he informed that nothing can be done. He asked me to ignore it, said sweating is good (and this guy is a top doc, not some shady fellow). I drink more than adequate amount of water. Am not always gorging on spicy food.

So here I am, sweaty palms and embarassed

Last edited by ashwinsid : 30th December 2009 at 21:33.
Old 30th December 2009, 21:32   #14
BHPian

Guys,

This is something very natural. Whoever has this need not feel bad and whoever who do not have it feel great about it.

I think silliest remedy works here, carrying a tissue, washing hands very often, if feasible. Many many more ideas like this work.

I envy you guys, since i have a pair of very very dry palms, like a emery sheet.

What do say to this ?
Old 30th December 2009, 22:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

The surgery is 'Endoscopic T2-3 Sympathectomy'

Its usually done for the palm hyperhidrosis.
but in many cases compensatory sweating from soles/trunk/face etc. has been noted just as GreaseMonk pointed out.

but as usual there are non invasive ways also!
Consult your doctor for more info!

Most Viewed