Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 13:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

7 Cute guests@home-what to do?

These pups were discovered by our pet dog Caesar,by the boundary wall of our farm,their mother was chased away by him.
Last evening,we had covered these pups to protect them from cold,as it was not possible to shift them anywhere,fearing Caesar might harm them.
Now these puppies are left behind,as their mother came 2 hours ago,fed them and went away again.
We are planning to shift them in a room in outhouses,as the night temperatures are hovering between 0-3 Deg celcius here.
Problem 1
If we shift them indoors,the mother might lose their track,which we donot want.
Problem 2
We cant keep them with us for long due to our pet dog,and we cant leave them anywhere in these weather conditions too.

We would start feeding them some cereal and milk in a while.

Any suggestions what we can do,so that these puppies can survive these harsh conditions?
Are there any organisations that can take care of them?,ours is not a big city,so i am doubtful of existence of any such organisation here.
Attached Thumbnails
7 Cute guests@home-what to do?-dsc01840.jpg  

7 Cute guests@home-what to do?-dsc01842.jpg  

7 Cute guests@home-what to do?-dsc01844.jpg  

7 Cute guests@home-what to do?-dsc01845.jpg  

Old 30th December 2009, 13:20   #2
BANNED

I am no dog expert, but since the mum came back, chances are that she was foraging for food and will stay if your pet stays away.

Do not worry about the low temperatures, the mum will take care of it they will huddle together.

For a few days, keep your pet on leash.

I am not sure of this, but if you keep some food around, the mum may spend less time foraging. And do not go near the mum when she is around the kids - she can get real fierce.

Edit:- the kids do look a few days old - may be 15 days or so. So, they can fend for a few hours on their own.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 30th December 2009 at 13:21.
Old 30th December 2009, 13:22   #3
BHPian

Is there a Blue Cross nearby? Which breed are they?

They sure do look cute.
Old 30th December 2009, 13:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes ,feed the mother dog itself and see if you can put up a cardboard or some kindoff shelter there itself.
Old 30th December 2009, 13:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

As others said, Leash your pet for some days and do not feed the mom, she will relocate these puppies soon. If you feed the mom she will stay arround and then things might get difficult since you already have a dog.

Pramod
Old 30th December 2009, 13:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Akshay,
Those little cute pups seem to be so adorable with their innocent looks!

Approaching various animal rights organisation might not help at this stage since I would personally prefer them to live with their mother for a few days as they look very young.

You may not shift them indoors for the issues you've mentioned but can simply do your bit by ensuring that these pups are provided shelter (Which you already have I guess) and both, the mother and the pups are fed adequately well for a few days. While you do this, you may tie aside your pet and sooner it would start getting used to this routine and will prove no harm to these pups. I have seen pet and a regular stray becoming pals and living in harmony in many times and even at my place.

However, as honest as they are known to be, the mother and her little ones will then become an Integral part of your day and you will have to feed them every day like before and it would become too hard to stop doing this for all the reasons that an avid dog lover would have.

Good luck!!
Old 30th December 2009, 13:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your help guys.
Our pet is on leash for now,and we have kept food for their mum nearby,hopefully she will feed herself,and lets see what happens.

Afterall its the female dog who has the right on these pups before us.
Old 30th December 2009, 14:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Don't worry the mother dog will take away the pups one by one to some place, which she think is safe.

These pics makes me remember the 5 pups we had, when one of the dogs in our locality had her 'delivery' in the back of our outhouse. For some weeks, it was fun, as the mother dog was very friendly to us. This was during my school days.

My father didn't want these puppies to stay there itself, so he asked me to take them in a sack and leave them some place away from our house.

With a heavy heart, I had to do it. For two days I couldn't even sleep that too after witnessing the mother dog searching everywhere for her puppies. It was literally crying.

After about 4 days, I went back to the place were I left the puppies, and took 3 of them back to the mother. It was a happy moment of reunion. Later I came to know from a friend that the other two male puppies survived, actually taken as a pet dogs by some families living nearby.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th December 2009 at 14:40.
Old 30th December 2009, 14:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Don't worry the mother dog will take away the pups one by one to some place, which she think is safe.

These pics makes me remember the 5 pups we had, when one of the dogs in our locality had her 'delivery' in the back of our outhouse. For some weeks, it was fun, as the mother dog was very friendly to us. This was during my school days.

My father didn't want these puppies to stay there itself, so he asked me to take them in a sack and leave them some place away from our house.

With a heavy heart, I had to do it. For two days I couldn't even sleep that too after witnessing the mother dog searching everywhere for her puppies. It was literally crying.
I was very upset with you when i read till here

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

After about 4 days, I went back to the place were I left the puppies, and took 3 of them back to the mother. It was a happy moment of reunion. Later I came to know from a friend that the other two male puppies were not killed, but actually taken as a pet dogs by some families living nearby.
But after reading this i am now very happy with what you did, Stray dogs always need a place to rest and need some food. If we provide them both chancer are they will stay there forever.

This funny incidance happened to me this weekend. It was about 5 in the morning and i was at trichur at my inlaws place. Every body woke up and were making a lot of noise so i quitely went out and slept on a bench, my casper also accompinied me and she was running all over and it was still dark, at a distance i see a lot of legs i was in half sleep so got really fraked out, I saw this dog with eight puppies walking towards me. she came near me and all of a sudden casper appeared form nowhere. Then these dogs started talking to each other(i was not high, just little sleepy) and then soon i saw the mother dog disappearing in the dark leaving one of her puppies with casper. I was completly stuck and didnt know what to do so i started walking and both casper and the puppy followed me.

Casper and the puppy played with each other till the irrsponsible mother came to our house insearch of her missing pup. By this time casper had drooled all over the tiny pup but one thing i have noticed with casper is she is very friendly with other pups.

Sorry for going OT, sometimes i just get carried away

Pramod
Old 30th December 2009, 17:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

can i have one of them ? will really take good care of it !!

and dig a small hole in your park should be like 1 feet deep or so and keep the pups there , just like stray dogs do to keep themselves warm .. It works !!

Last edited by chiragh_bir : 30th December 2009 at 17:50.
Old 31st December 2009, 10:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Update

Their mother took 6 of them to some different place,and left one behind.
Since it was getting pretty cold and dark,we brought the last puppy inside,to feed and protect from cold.
Now the mother has also lost track of her last pup,so we will again make him sit at the same spot,where it was found,so that mother might come and pick it up.

We tried to look for the family around our place,but she took them away to some far off place.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

The mother will not return for the last pup if it is weak. even if she takes the last one (& if it is weak), it will not be able to keep up with the rest - Survival of the fittest.

May be the cutest one left behind has found a new home take care.

How is your dog pairing up with the little one?

Last edited by planet_rocker : 31st December 2009 at 11:36.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going OT:

Hi everyone, I guess most of you here are having some knowledge about dogs. Recently I was offered a great dane female pup about 2 months old. I want to know whether this dog can be taken to our farm house. Can a great dane puppy adapt to rural conditions? Also what kind of food does this dog requires when as a puppy and as a adult dog?

And oh! we have a female dog - indian breed (a mix of different breeds and a hound breed) already living in our farm house. This one eats anything and everything which is put in front of it!!! Ok, these days it got used to bit of chilly and masala food though . If anything spicy, the dog eats off everything and licks the plate clean!! Other than the spicy stuff, it eats what is required to satisfy its hunger!! But the important thing is it stays healthy with any kind of food. Will the great-dane survive like this one does??

Also will there be any compatability problems between them??
Old 31st December 2009, 12:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Sorry for going OT:

Hi everyone, I guess most of you here are having some knowledge about dogs. Recently I was offered a great dane female pup about 2 months old. I want to know whether this dog can be taken to our farm house. Can a great dane puppy adapt to rural conditions? Also what kind of food does this dog requires when as a puppy and as a adult dog?

And oh! we have a female dog - indian breed (a mix of different breeds and a hound breed) already living in our farm house. This one eats anything and everything which is put in front of it!!! Ok, these days it got used to bit of chilly and masala food though . If anything spicy, the dog eats off everything and licks the plate clean!! Other than the spicy stuff, it eats what is required to satisfy its hunger!! But the important thing is it stays healthy with any kind of food. Will the great-dane survive like this one does??

Also will there be any compatability problems between them??
The dog has to be trained to eat anything. Great danes are not known to be very choosy breads, They will eat to fill their bellys.

My dog is a boxer, it likes eating fish heads boild with rice with a pinch of turmeric. The one at my parents is a spitz it dosent even eat pedegree. I eats if it feels like eating.

To check if they can get adjusted to each other try this small test. Leash both your dogs, take the great dane to the other dog but remember to hold the leash so that they dont get very close and sloly release it when they are comfortable with each other. Since the other one is a female, my guess is she wont be very territorial. Make sure all this is done infornt of people who both the dogs are femiliar with.

Pramod

Last edited by pramodkumar : 31st December 2009 at 12:12.
Old 31st December 2009, 12:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

It feels good to hear about you caring for the puppies. Shouldn't you have tried to get the mother dog spayed? Would prevent such heartbreak moments later.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks