Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 03:58   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON ANY OF THE LINKS BELOW.

I have tried best to prevent links showing up as such in your browser.

I Do not want to sound harsh, but for doing internet transactions, you need to have a very secure environment.

1. An operating system which requires regular "virus updates" is not, can never be secure.
2.An html browser can never be secure.

Look at the following mail I got today. This is what I see in my mail client:-

This is what I would have seen if I was using an html based mail client.

Attachment 262337

In fact, the entire page is a link to the spammer's site. But reads like a link to bank of India site.

Simply visiting that page will cause your browser, if it is on a Microsoft OS, to send passwords.

From the bank's point of view, all they have to do is to catch the owners of this page. BUt they will not go that pain.
Yes, this is the most way to hack the accounts. People please never click on such links and never put your account details and password on any link which opens from any such email.

You should press them hard and I am sure you will get your money. But you need to put the bank manager under pressure and talk to bank seniors. Do not waste any more time.
Old 12th January 2010, 09:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
Yes, this is the most way to hack the accounts. People please never click on such links and never put your account details and password on any link which opens from any such email.
==================
Can you confirm one thing. Does the sacmster have account in PNB as well?
Yes the culprit called jayaram has an account in city branch, bangalore of PNB, and see his magic he pull out money from three people's account within two minutes-- two others and mine!
Old 12th January 2010, 10:29   #18
J.Ravi

Every day, I get some e-mails resembling bogus PNB/IDBI/ICICI Bank login pages with links from fraudsters seeking to update the account details. The funniest part is I do not have any account with these banks! Of course, it goes without saying that I delete these mails without even opening. I found in all bank's login pages, prominent warnings are given advising their customers never to part with their user ID and password in links. BTW, what is the latest situation, ddriver? I wish that you should get your money at the earliest.

Old 12th January 2010, 10:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post

You should press them hard and I am sure you will get your money. But you need to put the bank manager under pressure and talk to bank seniors. Do not waste any more time.
i visit my bank manager very often and everytime i enquire about the steps they are taking.
after the incident took place i went and meet the circle head of haryana in karnal and he assured me that the head quarter is working on it but it will take time.
i sent the emails to all the senior level officer of PNB twice.
i filed my complaint to the S.P. of kurukshetra.
i sent the registered notice complaint to my bank manager which he forward to headquarters.
but no positive sign till date and this is what is killing me because only one side active that is mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Every day, I get some e-mails resembling bogus PNB/IDBI/ICICI Bank login pages with links from fraudsters seeking to update the account details. The funniest part is I do not have any account with these banks! Of course, it goes without saying that I delete these mails without even opening. I found in all bank's login pages, prominent warnings are given advising their customers never to part with their user ID and password in links. BTW, what is the latest situation, ddriver? I wish that you should get your money at the earliest.
Nothing, just two days back police gave the bank a written notice asking them to state whatever action and procedure they have adopted in last one month. and my bank manager send that police notice along with his own application to the head quarters.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddriver View Post
Yes the culprit called jayaram has an account in city branch, bangalore of PNB
That is a good news. Take these steps :

1. Raise an RTI request to query details of the transaction. need to know :
was it a check transaction, OR
was it a transaction that originated in Net banking, OR
was it a transaction that was initiated by some employee due to some voucher OR
was it a transaction that was generated by electronic transfer (other then Net banking)
2. Do attach 10 Rs postal order with RTI

Don't worry, your money is safe. But it would take time since as per RBI laws and procedures, bank has to follow a lengthy procedure to reverse a tranasctrion in case of fraud.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:46   #21
BHPian

it has been confirmed by the bank verbally to me that transaction originated in net banking.
also are you sure i will get my money back? i mean do i have fair chance in getting back my hard earned money?
Old 12th January 2010, 11:54   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yes two things make sure you will get your money back:

1. Scamster's account is in the same bank
2. This is a Govt bank covered by RTI so you can force them to act

But it WILL take time. Unfortunately, not much can be done for delay.

With RTI, you can get two things in written:

1. Transaction happened with net banking
2. His account has been frozen (your money is safe)
Old 12th January 2010, 13:17   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yes two things make sure you will get your money back:

1. Scamster's account is in the same bank
2. This is a Govt bank covered by RTI so you can force them to act

But it WILL take time. Unfortunately, not much can be done for delay.

With RTI, you can get two things in written:

1. Transaction happened with net banking
2. His account has been frozen (your money is safe)
his account has been frozen proof i have in term of the letter which my branch send to the bangalore branch to freeze his account and i have a copy of that which they faxed.
Old 13th January 2010, 10:54   #24
BANNED

Over the past 24 hours, I have received 4 mails claiming to be from PNB.

There is simply criminial negligence from their part. It is such a simple issue to identify the scamsters (even when hdden behind *******), and this kind of boldness is not possible unless the bank adopts an ostrich kind of attitude.
Old 13th January 2010, 11:20   #25
BHPian

This is shocking
We wish the best to recover the lost amount very soon , try to involve all possible higher authorities of the bank and the Police, if possible file a case in the consumer court against the bank, make the court understand the difficulty you have faced because of the fraud to manage your Monthly expenditures
Old 13th January 2010, 11:33   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
It is such a simple issue to identify the scamsters (even when hdden behind *******)
Disagree with this statement. This URL would not be in India.

IP would be some PC sitting in US/EU/China (basically farmed into some botnet)

Since IP does not belong to actual scamster, how can bank trace someone based on URL?
Old 14th January 2010, 14:54   #27
BHPian

there is a new twist happened today!in morning i got a call from my branch that some person came from head quarter regarding your case and wants to meet you. so i drove down to my bank branch. he is an investigation officer of PNB and he told me that your account has been hacked by phishing and said that you must have recieved some mail from those hackers, and i told them that in last few months i didnt get any mail from PNB or a phishing mail.
than he told me that most of the accounts which are hacked in PNB through phishing mail are originated from nigeria, but in my case it was originated from meerut! and the account of jayaram in which it is transferred is not involved but used by the hackers,
than during the conversation i just asked him that how the hackers on the 3rd december itself took out Rs 55000/- at once.
on this he stated that they have taken out money in denominations of Rs 10,000 each and he showed me the account of jayram on computer and i was shocked to see that the amount was taken out on 9th december!!
when i told him that i asked the bank to freeze the said account on 3rd itself, he got surprised and asked the bank manager and he said in affirmative way that indeed the request was sent to bangalore branch on 3rd dec itself.
than he was shcked to listen to this statement and told me that 99.99 percent i will get my money back because whether you have done some mistake in revealing your password to hackers but you intimate the bank on the same day and the money was lying in the hackers account for 6 consecutive days and bank did not taken any action or putting your money back so its now the bank duty to give you money.
he said i will submitt the report to bank authorities very soon.
he said i can approach to bank ombudsman but asked me to wait as bank is taking action and working on it and said that bank will reply to him in few days and if you get still a negative reply .you can approach any authorities after that!
now tell me what you say about this incident?
Old 14th January 2010, 15:09   #28
J.Ravi

ddriver,

Not freezing the recipient's same bank account is a blunder committed by PNB. Whether PNB has given a written reply to you in this matter? If not, immediately file a complaint with the Banking Ombudsman in RBI. Do not wait until you get a negative reply.

Old 14th January 2010, 16:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

PNB accounts are under serious hacking attempts. I was stupid enough to fall for it yesterday (though I have been using net banking for last 10 odd years) as I genuinely thought that it was from PNB as I was having some login related issues with them, and i thought it was in that respect only. However, I immediately (afterwards though) realise dthat i have been scammed. I changed my ATM Pin and today morning wrote to the bank to deactivate net banking on my account. I am also writing tot hem to close my account and I will open an entirely new one now, as they (bank) says that even my login id can be misused if I continue using the same.
So people with PNB be on your guard and do not fall prey.
Old 14th January 2010, 17:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sad experience ddriver, its really shocking that the bank did not take any action from the 3rd till the 9th of December. Sheer negligence on their part. An alert bank would have been able to nab the scamsters when they withdrew the money on the 9th.

I'm sure you will get your money back, but please do lodge a complaint with the Police cybercell in your city/state. IT might take a little while, but you will definitely get your money in full.

You can also write to the newspapers in your area explaining the sequence of events and the negligence of PNB in this case. Pressure from the media will help in goading these incompetent people into action, and the early return of your funds.

As a precautionary measure, please transfer your account to another bank. In my opinion, your primary bank account should not have netbanking enabled, and the netbanking account should not have much funds.

Wish you all the very best in getting your money back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks